For those that don't want to re-sign Dak, then who?

85Cowboy85

Reaction score
If we don't resign Dak we should tank. Play Cooper Rush or Mike White, that would probably get you top 5 in the draft.

WhizKid

Reaction score
This is a matter of much to pay him. Given his skillset, Dak should not break the bank, allowing the front office to put more money towards building around him.

75boyz

Reaction score
How are we going to draft Tua? He could come out in 2019 draft and we don’t have a first rounder. Please explain how we could acquire him because I can’t see a way to do it.
Tua not eligible til 2020 Bob. He and Fromm likely to go 1-2 as it stands now.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How are we going to draft Tua? He could come out in 2019 draft and we don’t have a first rounder. Please explain how we could acquire him because I can’t see a way to do it.
Don't believe he or Murray or Haskins can come out in this draft and I haven't heard if Herbert is coming out or not. If he stays at OR, that QB draft could be a goldmine.

That's why I was for letting Prescott play out his final year and if I were the GM, I would be letting him know I am looking at that draft class. See if that builds a fire under his butt to get better in that pocket. Just what in the hell is Booger rewarding him for? 19th in passing and rating and #1 in sacks?

Pass2Run

Reaction score
If you don't give him a shot with a team out on the next contract, I rather tank and go drafting in 2020

Not mediocre fa that won't be the franchise guy .I rather white and rush get a try than those mentioned.

This is the youngest team we've had in a long, long while. And they are dominating.. .But you want to tank.

Some of you haven't caught up to the fact we live in a salary cap era.

:thumbup:

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
Not looking to get rid of Dak but playing devils advocate, I would try to draft Kyler Murray if you can convince him to play football. He might be a more realistic draft option as teams might shy away from him due to his size. There’s a good chance Murray could also be reasonably effective right away due to his running ability.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Is it suppose to be an argument for signing a big contract and not looking for better? That there aren't great options in 2019? Then go back to my original post.

Does this only apply to Dak? Anyone else deemed by someone as not very good and needing replaced is fair game? A lot of Dak apologists think there are a ton of those guys.
Let me break this down -

Young QB on the upswing of his career
Older, 32 year old QB on the downswing that was reliable but never an elite guy, maybe what the above ultimately becomes, but you get more time and still have potential & youth.

Young QB = Dak
32 year old is the best possible guy on the market without trading a very high rounder at minimum (Stafford)..... that guy is Andy Dalton.

Dalton, if he hits FA, will be paid around ~25mn a year.

Again, I'm sticking with Dak.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Not looking to get rid of Dak but playing devils advocate, I would try to draft Kyler Murray if you can convince him to play football. He might be a more realistic draft option as teams might shy away from him due to his size. There’s a good chance Murray could also be reasonably effective right away due to his running ability.
Tyree Jackson is my backup QB being drafted in the 4th / 5th for a similar but almost opposite reason.

Small school - Buffalo
One of a kind / unusual QB size - 6'7

That's the dude I want as my back-up.

His strength - medium and deep passes, evading sacks, throwing balls on the money as he can zip it over the o-line effortlessly; his weakness: oddly, short passes

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Tua Tagovailoa, Alabama qb

Let Dak play next year and evaluate at end of 2019 season. Draft Tua spring 2020.
That is only going to be a possibility if he doesn't come out this year and we tank completely, meaning we are in salary cap hell again with guys like Cooper and Lawrence nonperforming on huge contracts, and we are so bad, we're drafting #1 for a lock and top 3 + willing to trade that year's crop of 2nd and 3rd rounders.

Not happening. Tua is about the worst case.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
The lack of options favors Prescott getting a fat contract. There are some prime QB's coming out after the 19 season, which is why I wanted them to wait and see where this is then.
Yet mediocre QB contracts (say, Dalton's coming contract) are still insane - $25mn+ per season.

Dak is younger with more upside, and cheaper.

I stick with Dak.

Essentially all salary cap growth y/y is pouring into the QB contract. Believe starting QB contract is growing at a significant premium to that too.

windjc

Reaction score
Is Derek Carr available? I’d give up a couple of picks for him. Or look to draft a Mahomes type in the draft. Competition is never a bad thing and if we traded for Carr we could get some of it back by trading Prescott.

I do think there are ways of upgrading the position without getting an aging vet or killing our drafts. Be smart and aggressive. I would be shocked if our front office was either. Dak is ok. If the stars align he could win a super bowl just like Eli did. But we could upgrade for sure.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Nice post Bob.

I wouldn't call myself a Dak detractor, I like the kid. But even with everything you said, which I agree with, I think it's fair to ask if he's shown enough to command 25 million a year. Personally, im waiting till end of year to start trying to make my mind up on that.

The point I'm trying to make is that even if our options look bad outside of Dak, we have to consider if a long term, high dollar commitment is just another bad option in disguise.

Maybe by the time contract talks heat up, it's clearly a good option. I'm optimistic. Maybe it's the best of the bad options, which seems certainly true. Dak isn't as bad as people say. Or maybe by then, a couple years under a veteran QB while we do a QB manhunt is our best option. As a historical example, consider the 2 Bledsoe years before we handed over to Romo.

As a final consideration, everyone is acting like the only way to get a top QB in draft is to tank, and this roster is too good to tank. I disagree. If you're that confident that you are only 1 player away, 1 QB away, then bite the bullet. Pull a KC. Bundle the picks, jump to the top of the 1st, get your QB.

In the modern NFL, if you believe your team just needs a QB, and you believe in a QB in the draft, then go and get him.

Yes it's a gamble. Yes it can set you back if you fail. But you reset the clock on the cheap QB, you get a talented blue chip prospect. Winning takes balls when it comes to using your resources wisely in the draft or cap.

Personally, I would make the argument that if your roster is that good, then the money saved on QB will keep you from being set too far back. You'll recover in a couple tough years. The benefit of a potential dynasty is worth that risk, especially when you trust your scouting department. I trust Will McClay.

If you disagree with this, I don't blame you. I think in this regard, I am more hawkish than most. The QB is worth the gamble in my mind if your team is built well already.

In theory it sounds fine and easy, but a lot of pitfalls. How much do you have to trade away to move up, there's also competition from other teams wanting to do the same thing. Can they hit with a better QB? We have done well with 1st rd picks, but they also wanted Lynch in the 1st and that would have been disastrous. Will we have the staff capable of developing a young QB and develop him quickly? KC and the Rams have the benefit of having excellent teachers, coaches and scheme, not nearly as confident in this staff. How long until you can decide if the rook will pan out, another 3 years? It's not just about the money saved on a cheap QB, it's the time lost with the rest of players while he develops or doesn't. In reality if we miss on a rook QB, it's not the loss of a couple years, it's the loss of at least 6 years and more capital spent and more players primes wasted until the next replacement is ready.

People point to the successes like Mahomes and Goff, but how long did it take to find those QBs? Who was the Rams last great QB, Warner? The Chiefs? Couldn't even be sure who that would even be. How long was it before we found Romo? He was more of a happy accident than someone that was signed to be the franchise. How about all the other teams still looking for decade(s)? Don't get me wrong, I'm not against trying to upgrade the QB, but it's not nearly as easy or quick to do as it sounds.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Is it suppose to be an argument for signing a big contract and not looking for better? That there aren't great options in 2019? Then go back to my original post.

Does this only apply to Dak? Anyone else deemed by someone as not very good and needing replaced is fair game? A lot of Dak apologists think there are a ton of those guys.
Ok
How do we avoid salary cap hell, not blow up the rest of this team, and come out with a better QB that can win it by 2021?

That's how a manager would analyze this.

Again, Dak is our guy.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yet mediocre QB contracts (say, Dalton's coming contract) are still insane - $25mn+ per season.

Dak is younger with more upside, and cheaper.

I stick with Dak.

Essentially all salary cap growth y/y is pouring into the QB contract. Believe starting QB contract is growing at a significant premium to that too.
The QB salary incline takes all up with it. Mid level QB's will get 23-25M a year, that's how crazy it's gotten and there is a Tier 1 QB shortage.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Is Derek Carr available? I’d give up a couple of picks for him. Or look to draft a Mahomes type in the draft. Competition is never a bad thing and if we traded for Carr we could get some of it back by trading Prescott.

I do think there are ways of upgrading the position without getting an aging vet or killing our drafts. Be smart and aggressive. I would be shocked if our front office was either. Dak is ok. If the stars align he could win a super bowl just like Eli did. But we could upgrade for sure.
I see Tyree Jackson and Kyler Murray as the only x-factor QBs in the draft that will be available cheap because of the uniqueness.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
The QB salary incline takes all up with it. Mid level QB's will get 23-25M a year, that's how crazy it's gotten and there is a Tier 1 QB shortage.
Absolutely agreed - who can be universally called tier 1?

Brady, Brees, Rodgers

That's about it. People could argue Big Ben and Rivers, and Stafford / Newton, but that's not getting universal A+ agreement.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In theory it sounds fine and easy, but a lot of pitfalls. How much do you have to trade away to move up, there's also competition from other teams wanting to do the same thing. Can they hit with a better QB? We have done well with 1st rd picks, but they also wanted Lynch in the 1st and that would have been disastrous. Will we have the staff capable of developing a young QB and develop him quickly? KC and the Rams have the benefit of having excellent teachers, coaches and scheme, not nearly as confident in this staff. How long until you can decide if the rook will pan out, another 3 years? It's not just about the money saved on a cheap QB, it's the time lost with the rest of players while he develops or doesn't. In reality if we miss on a rook QB, it's not the loss of a couple years, it's the loss of at least 6 years and more capital spent and more players primes wasted until the next replacement is ready.

People point to the successes like Mahomes and Goff, but how long did it take to find those QBs? Who was the Rams last great QB, Warner? The Chiefs? Couldn't even be sure who that would even be. How long was it before we found Romo? He was more of a happy accident than someone that was signed to be the franchise. How about all the other teams still looking for decade(s)? Don't get me wrong, I'm not against trying to upgrade the QB, but it's not nearly as easy or quick to do as it sounds.
How many teams have their eyes on that 20 QB class? And these Tier 1's like Brady, Brees and Rothliesberger are getting closer to retirement so their teams going to be in the hunt as well. And the jury is out on this last class of QB's except for maybe Mayfield, the one I picked to be a miss. I am not a great judge of talent on many positions but I excel at not being good on QB's.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
How many teams have their eyes on that 20 QB class? And these Tier 1's like Brady, Brees and Rothliesberger are getting closer to retirement so their teams going to be in the hunt as well. And the jury is out on this last class of QB's except for maybe Mayfield, the one I picked to be a miss. I am not a great judge of talent on many positions but I excel at not being good on QB's.
No team, besides perhaps Dallas, has really excelled at QBs over the last ~40-50 years... for us, really since inception except for the Quincy drought, have been blessed.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And if we dont have a top 3 pick?

By all means keep Dak forever...there was no STAR no Superbowl glory, no America's team till Dak was our QB .....omg what would we do without him...all would be lost.....:rolleyes: