For those that don't want to re-sign Dak, then who?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Absolutely agreed - who can be universally called tier 1?

Brady, Brees, Rodgers

That's about it. People could argue Big Ben and Rivers, and Stafford / Newton, but that's not getting universal A+ agreement.
I do include Rivers and Rothliesberger in Tier 1, Newton and Stafford? Nope, Tier 2.

And I guess we'd better put Mahomes in that Tier 1, damned guy is out of his mind good. Tua and Murray will get compared to him because of their releases.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
I do include Rivers and Rothliesberger in Tier 1, Newton and Stafford? Nope, Tier 2.

And I guess we'd better put Mahomes in that Tier 1, damned guy is out of his mind good. Tua and Murray will get compared to him because of their releases.
I'd put Luck before Mahomes, he needs at least 4 / 5 years of doing it for consideration in my mind.

but this is my point - you're right, there are only 3 or so bonifide Tier A QBs.

Last edited:

Elusive6thRing

Reaction score
No team, besides perhaps Dallas, has really excelled at QBs over the last ~40-50 years... for us, really since inception except for the Quincy drought, have been blessed.

While it's not their entire history Green Bay has had Favre then Rodgers since the 90's. I'd say they've been pretty damn lucky.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
While it's not their entire history Green Bay has had Favre then Rodgers since the 90's. I'd say they've been pretty damn lucky.
Agreed, but we've only had one real significant drought when Aikman retired until Romo took up the mantle. We've been doing probably the best at QB.

I think this is actually an underrated factor in the Dak hate. Our fanbase has been spoiled at QB since basically year 2.

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
Tyree Jackson is my backup QB being drafted in the 4th / 5th for a similar but almost opposite reason.

Small school - Buffalo
One of a kind / unusual QB size - 6'7

That's the dude I want as my back-up.

His strength - medium and deep passes, evading sacks, throwing balls on the money as he can zip it over the o-line effortlessly; his weakness: oddly, short passes

My idea is a little more radical. I would look to start Murray right away because I think he could have immediate success as he is a dynamic runner. Maybe bring in a vet like Tyrod Taylor in to back him up and see what you could get in a trade for Dak while he’s still on his rookie contract.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
My idea is a little more radical. I would look to start Murray right away because I think he could have immediate success as he is a dynamic runner. Maybe bring in a vet like Tyrod Taylor in to back him up and see what you could get in a trade for Dak while he’s still on his rookie contract.
That's a no from me dawg.

I'd draft Murray, but he isn't starting. But I would let him play in the MLB as well.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Let me break this down -

Young QB on the upswing of his career
Older, 32 year old QB on the downswing that was reliable but never an elite guy, maybe what the above ultimately becomes, but you get more time and still have potential & youth.

Young QB = Dak
32 year old is the best possible guy on the market without trading a very high rounder at minimum (Stafford)..... that guy is Andy Dalton.

Dalton, if he hits FA, will be paid around ~25mn a year.

Again, I'm sticking with Dak.

Define "sticking with," You are going to sign him to an extension, or let him play his 4th year? Two very very differentt things.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Define "sticking with," You are going to sign him to an extension, or let him play his 4th year? Two very very differentt things.
Let's put it in this context -

It is December 8th, 2018

You can sign either Dak Prescott or Andy Dalton to a 5 year, $150mn contract.

Who are you betting on?

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
How many teams have their eyes on that 20 QB class? And these Tier 1's like Brady, Brees and Rothliesberger are getting closer to retirement so their teams going to be in the hunt as well. And the jury is out on this last class of QB's except for maybe Mayfield, the one I picked to be a miss. I am not a great judge of talent on many positions but I excel at not being good on QB's.
Exactly, fans talk like we're making trades in a vacuum and there isn't competition from other teams to trade up. That's also assuming the teams in position to take those blue chip prospects are even willing to trade.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Ok
How do we avoid salary cap hell, not blow up the rest of this team, and come out with a better QB that can win it by 2021?

That's how a manager would analyze this.

Again, Dak is our guy.

Signing Dak screws your cap and any chances. Signing another stop gap screws your cap but gives you a shot.
Not signing for anyone leaves you with cap space to sign better players, but you still are lacking at QB, and a long term guy (which you have to find no matter what) will likely take time - 2021 is possible as we've seen recently with younger QBs).

No option is ideal, but that's reality. The worst option is wasting $$ on a guy lile Dak.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score

What this says is that Dak's real value in terms of expected points added is at about the league average since the Cooper trade. In other words, the whole package, not just passing. It includes sacks and fumbles, and essentially every play in which Dak was involved, except just to hand the ball off. Factor in that there is no real TE threat, and the OL has been undermanned for the better part of those five games.

Mods please don't delete. I'm not trying to promote my twitter account, just providing context for the highlighted tweet.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Let's put it in this context -

It is December 8th, 2018

You can sign either Dak Prescott or Andy Dalton to a 5 year, $150mn contract.

Who are you betting on?

If that is the ONLY option (it's not remotely close), give me Dalton.

I wouldn't do either, though.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
32 year old Dalton?

Give me Dak.
Better Dalton? Give me Dalton. With him you have a shot (not a great one), but far greater than with Dak. If you're going to waste that much money (why do you want to for either?) go with more talent.

You're really boxing yourself in, though. This is a poor way to make a decision.