For Those Who Don’t Like That We Paid Dak, What Was Your Alternative?

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
I think that question should be asked again after February 13th. All that matters is, can we win a superbowl with him? And with the Defense playing as it is, the chance hasn't been better for 20 years in my opinion. We'll probably lose a few important guys to FA, so doing it now would be nice timing too.

I don't care about their salaries in general. When Dak sucks he sucks, when he plays great he's great. Whether he earns base salary or is among the highest paid QBs in the league. And all that matters is what happens on the field. On paper we have a great team together even with all those "overpaid" guys, so it's a moot point, at least for now. I mean what signing has his salary made impossible? We have all the guys we want. Lamb just needs to stop dropping balls and the O Line has to hold the fort like they did in the first third of the season. Then we're all set.

So to answer the initial question, I think I would have signed him, but would have risked a hold out or losing him or at least exclude the no trade clause. I think 35mill a year would have been my max.. But woulda coulda... he's here so let's deal with it.

csirl

Reaction score
My older brother has a wise head on his shoulders. People often ask him for advice. When asked "what would you do in my situation?", I"ve often heard him say "I'd never be in your situation in the first place" before dispensing advice.

I think the Dak situation falls into the above scenario. Many of us simply would never have been in this situatiion in the first place if we'd been the decision makers.

Franchise QBs arent as rare as people make out - the majority of NFL teams have at least one starting quality QB and some have two.

Many many options have been open to rhe Cowboys in recent years via draft, trade, free agency etc There are probably quite a few, that if acted on, would have seen us in a better place. Trying to get people to commit to one isnt a fair question as the Cowboys could easily have acted on multiple options and only one needed to work out for us to be in a better place.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
I’ve seen a lot of “we shouldn’t have paid him” talk and I’m genuinely curious as to what you resident CowboysZone GM’s would’ve done. He’s a top 10 QB. The way the market works is the next man up in that top 10ish bracket gets a top contract. He’s the 4th highest paid right now, in two years he’ll be the 8th or 9th. He’s not the highest paid QB forever. His teammates adore him there’s no way not signing him would go over well in the locker room. I don’t see any scenario where we let him go and are 10-4 at this point in the season.

What would’ve been y’all’s alternative? A rookie QB and miss out on the next best thing since LT? Try to sell the farm to Seattle when they obviously weren’t interested in trading away their only hope for winning football?

Seriously, what would y’all have done this offseason if you cut the chord on Dak?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Brady

Qcard

Reaction score
Well you see Goff about to win his 2nd NFC offensive player of the week on the worst team in the league, upsetting the best team in the league by 3 scores, meanwhile Dak can't even blow out the Giants.

Get back to me when you stop being bias.
Amazing that your Eye Test sees no bias in comparing 2-11 Goff to 10-4 Dak

Only the last 2 weeks matter???....Nonsense:lmao2::lmao2:

Dak Haters are pathetic...

Lutonio

Reaction score
Carr was the highest-paid QB in the league 4 years ago. He's now 14th.

Dak's contract will follow the same trajectory. It shows how little some of you understand the business of football that this simple concept of salary cap inflation and the QB market seems to escape you.
Thank you for this. I think Dak has played pretty poorly since the calf injury, but I’m not doom and gloom about the contract. It’s the nature of QBs. I remember when Flacco broke the back, too.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
With the way we’ve been drafting, these cheap contracts offset the Dak deal. I think that’s our secret weapon in terms of keeping the window open past this season. Of course the margin for error is slim but we’ve shown some good consistency in the draft especially offensively. If Quinn keeps evaluating the defensive picks the way he has then we have a chance for sure.

Measures argument though I see your logic, though I wouldn’t want Dalton at all. Would rather have a rookie than him he’s washed.

Dalton isn't ideal but was serviceable untill the rookie is ready. Look at all these high priced rooms now, they suck and Dalton is capable of winning games with the talent we have. Someone who can run a bit would be good too. You are right that hitting on Parsons might extend this window. It really depends on Stephen and how he uses the cap going forward. But every year is different and no one's won this division twice in a row in what seems like forever. Time will tell. If the defense keeps balling out maybe Dak doesn't have to be great, and then none of us will care about the contract.

csirl

Reaction score
Amazing that your Eye Test sees no bias in comparing 2-11 Goff to 10-4 Dak

Only the last 2 weeks matter???....Nonsense:lmao2::lmao2:

Dak Haters are pathetic...

:banghead:

Not a big fan of Goff, but anyone who thinks that there arent some great players on losing NFL teams doesnt know football.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Dak should have been put on a franchise tag. That is what I said I would do back then and it is what I would have done now. Our front office is afraid of hurting the players feelings because Jerry wants to be best buds with them. We have no spine.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It was just a few weeks ago when fans were freaking out over the possibility of losing Boy Wonder. I think Moore is the same OC that he was early in the season. I do see poor execution by the players and I think the players are 90% of the problem.

Outside of the first 7 games of the season what has Kellen Moore done with this offense in 3 years? I’m not overrating to the last few games I’m viewing his body if work in it’s totality. I have not been impressed for the most part and I think it would be stupid to at least not examine the situation at OC. We have a stupid amount of talent on offense. Being this bad should not be an option. Kellen should shoulder blame along with his players.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Thank you for this. I think Dak has played pretty poorly since the calf injury, but I’m not doom and gloom about the contract. It’s the nature of QBs. I remember when Flacco broke the back, too.

People somehow don’t understand that every player that signs a big deal looks like a ridiculous signing until like 2 years down the road. Every big contract signed usually is top of market because that is what happens as cap increases.

817Gill

Reaction score
The Eagles gambled and the result was their first Super Bowl win. It is not really gambling if you know what you are doing.
Eagles gamble didn’t win them squat lol they won a SB with a backup. Literally the anomaly of all anomalies.

817Gill

Reaction score
I said before they signed Dak to put him on the non exclusive franchise tag that way if some other team wanted to overpay for Dak let them and take 2 number one picks from them and take Justin Herbert who was the 15th pick who is in his second season now. If nobody offered Dak crazy money then that would have set his market value which would have been much cheaper than 40 million per year.
Herbert was the 6th pick overall not the 15th. Do y’all follow the sport?

8 teams would’ve offered him 38-42M$. WFT, CAR, DEN, JAX, CHI just to name a few.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
enters the next challenger for dak's affection. competition is growing. who will be the winner of daks affection?

Screenshot-2021-03-31-Tekken-3-Game-Free-Download-for-pc-full-version-windows-7.png

817Gill

Reaction score
My older brother has a wise head on his shoulders. People often ask him for advice. When asked "what would you do in my situation?", I"ve often heard him say "I'd never be in your situation in the first place" before dispensing advice.

I think the Dak situation falls into the above scenario. Many of us simply would never have been in this situatiion in the first place if we'd been the decision makers.

Franchise QBs arent as rare as people make out - the majority of NFL teams have at least one starting quality QB and some have two.

Many many options have been open to rhe Cowboys in recent years via draft, trade, free agency etc There are probably quite a few, that if acted on, would have seen us in a better place. Trying to get people to commit to one isnt a fair question as the Cowboys could easily have acted on multiple options and only one needed to work out for us to be in a better place.
Most teams have two? Dude what?

Here’s a list of teams going to be looking for new QB’s this offseason:

Carolina
Washington
Denver
Pittsburgh
Detroit
Houston
New York Giants
Atlanta

Never in the history of everdom has there been 2 quality QB’s per team. Literally have never heard this take from anyone.

AmericanCowboy

Reaction score
The absolutely best option was to pay Dak. It’s not even close.

Baker Mayfield is gonna get 35 million a year, Teddy B wants 30 million a year. Does no one understand the market is insane for QBs?

Forneymike

Reaction score
I said sign Brady to a 3 year deal when New England let him go.

I also wanted to attempt a trade for Derek Carr as well as move up in the draft for a QB like Justin Herbert (imagine we had done that).

The absolute wrong thing to do is what we did and just give Dak whatever he wanted. Massive screw up.

We got a 27 mill a year QB getting paid like he’s the best QB in football.
Brady wasn't coming here. Gruden was not trading Carr without giving up a ton of draft choices and players. Herbert was an option but we would have had to give up a ton of picks to get to that pick which I'm not sure we could have done since I think SD or other teams closer really wanted Herbert. What was the next plan since this one was not going to happen.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Brady wasn't coming here. Gruden was not trading Carr without giving up a ton of draft choices and players. Herbert was an option but we would have had to give up a ton of picks to get to that pick which I'm not sure we could have done since I think SD or other teams closer really wanted Herbert. What was the next plan since this one was not going to happen.

Just like it wasn’t going to happen because you say so.. I can easily say it would happen because I say so.

We will never know what could’ve been done because the Jones’s made no effort and let Dak’s agent absolutely destroy them on negotiations.

Im not going to spend a bunch of time rehashing what I did for years on here with other options besides Dak.

Signing Dak to that deal was always a mistake and Dallas let him hold them hostage and punted away any of their leverage when they had it.