For Those Who Don’t Like That We Paid Dak, What Was Your Alternative?

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So how do you respond to this nonsense :lmao2::lmao2:
Just watch Rayne tear up defenses weekly with his most accurate and powerful arm and laugh at his critics......:confused:

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
1. They should have put the transition tag on Dak. Starting bid was 2 1's. Let's assume that's all we got.
2. Signed Dalton to a 3 year deal, 10 million base plus incentives maybe maxing at 15/year or 45 total.
3. Use 1 of those three first rounders to draft a replacement. Probably atleast 1 OL.

You just never know how things turn out. Daks deal looks aweful now but if he can some how find a rhythm to get things going we could maybe be in or even win a SB with this defense. The window is closing and if we don't do it this year it probably won't happen with Dak at the helm.

817Gill

Reaction score
1. They should have put the transition tag on Dak. Starting bid was 2 1's. Let's assume that's all we got.
2. Signed Dalton to a 3 year deal, 10 million base plus incentives maybe maxing at 15/year or 45 total.
3. Use 1 of those three first rounders to draft a replacement. Probably atleast 1 OL.

You just never know how things turn out. Daks deal looks aweful now but if he can some how find a rhythm to get things going we could maybe be in or even win a SB with this defense. The window is closing and if we don't do it this year it probably won't happen with Dak at the helm.
With the way we’ve been drafting, these cheap contracts offset the Dak deal. I think that’s our secret weapon in terms of keeping the window open past this season. Of course the margin for error is slim but we’ve shown some good consistency in the draft especially offensively. If Quinn keeps evaluating the defensive picks the way he has then we have a chance for sure.

Measures argument though I see your logic, though I wouldn’t want Dalton at all. Would rather have a rookie than him he’s washed.

RS12

Reaction score
I hate the the amount of cap space Dak takes up but I am luke warm on Mac Jones. I see a system QB who works just fine in the McDaniels system which is short to medium range passes and dont turn the ball over. I am not nearly as convinced he works here in what is basically the glorified Dan Mullen offense.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Draw a line in the sand at 30 million coming off the injury and see if someone else takes him.

You are really out of touch with NFL football if you think no one else would have signed him. There are at least 14 teams that would have considered it and probably 6 or 7 that would have made serious offers in the $38-40 mil/year range.

I think the Dak contract is a bad contract but it was our only option. You cannot win without a good QB and Dak gives us that. Our front office sees our roster as ready to win now with stars nearing the end of their primes. They are correct in that assessment. We simply could not afford to play games and end up without a starting quality NFL QB. If you do that and end up having to start Andy Dalton, Cooper Rush, Teddy Bridgewater, Cam Newton, Fitz Magic, (you fill in the blank) you essentially torpedo your chance at a championship while also probably being good enough to prevent yourself from drafting a top-10 QB prospect in the draft this year which by the way is lacking blue chip talent at the QB position. Our hand was forced and anyone with a grain of critical thinking ability can see that. It was the right choice even if it isn’t optimal.

Also, everyone knows Dak is better than what we are getting out of him now. He is playing the worst football of his career. There is no reason to think he won’t return to form. I think our biggest issues are our offensive line and OC. I think Boy Wonder has not shown enough the last 3 years to warrant a 4th.

Last edited:

Aulac

Reaction score
So how do you respond to this nonsense :lmao2::lmao2:

Well you see Goff about to win his 2nd NFC offensive player of the week on the worst team in the league, upsetting the best team in the league by 3 scores, meanwhile Dak can't even blow out the Giants.

Get back to me when you stop being bias.

Shane612

Reaction score
So, you just pay someone the $40,000,000.00 so you can say you have a "franchise" QB?
So, do you marry someone you don't want, just to be married?

NotForLong

Reaction score
I said sign Brady to a 3 year deal when New England let him go.

I also wanted to attempt a trade for Derek Carr as well as move up in the draft for a QB like Justin Herbert (imagine we had done that).

The absolute wrong thing to do is what we did and just give Dak whatever he wanted. Massive screw up.

We got a 27 mill a year QB getting paid like he’s the best QB in football.
They should have offered the non exckusive franchise tag after his 4th season . . . allowed him to walk and then signed Brady or used all those number 1s to trade up for Herbert

Janecka12

Reaction score
I’ve seen a lot of “we shouldn’t have paid him” talk and I’m genuinely curious as to what you resident CowboysZone GM’s would’ve done. He’s a top 10 QB. The way the market works is the next man up in that top 10ish bracket gets a top contract. He’s the 4th highest paid right now, in two years he’ll be the 8th or 9th. He’s not the highest paid QB forever. His teammates adore him there’s no way not signing him would go over well in the locker room. I don’t see any scenario where we let him go and are 10-4 at this point in the season.

What would’ve been y’all’s alternative? A rookie QB and miss out on the next best thing since LT? Try to sell the farm to Seattle when they obviously weren’t interested in trading away their only hope for winning football?

Seriously, what would y’all have done this offseason if you cut the chord on Dak?
I said before they signed Dak to put him on the non exclusive franchise tag that way if some other team wanted to overpay for Dak let them and take 2 number one picks from them and take Justin Herbert who was the 15th pick who is in his second season now. If nobody offered Dak crazy money then that would have set his market value which would have been much cheaper than 40 million per year.

diamonddelts

Reaction score
We can start by starting Rush.
What do we really have to lose at this point and yes he has better pocket awr and accuracy.
Then draft as no one wants that contract of Raynes pain.

This post is just "turrible".

diamonddelts

Reaction score
Matt Jones would have been nice, but then no Micah.
I was open to Jameis Winston, Minshew as I mentioned both this off-season. Imagine paying one of those guys 5 million a year. It doesn’t solve your issue but it gives you options. You guys are acting as if if Dak is Aaron Rogers.

Freaking horrible post.

diamonddelts

Reaction score
There were 3 big name QBs under contract that wanted out of their teams: Rodgers, Watson and Wilson. We will never know if a trade could have been worked out, but all three would have been huge upgrades (depending on Watson's legal issues of course). Carr was a 4th name thrown out there at the time due to conflicts with their HQ Chucky. That might have been a lateral move to some, but he comes cheaper which could help in other areas.

Brady was a FO and his hate for the Cowboys was well documented, but we offered him the best offensive talent he has had since Moss. We would also have at least an extra 1st round pick if we had signed and traded Dak. And signing with the number one sports franchise in the world, couldn't hurt his brand...also would be a slap in the face to Belichick, which might have been appealing. This would have been my pick if possible, because he is the only top 10 QB that would leave money on the table to make his team better.

None of this matters now though since it didn't happen. We are 10-4 and will see how the year plays out. If he returns to the form from the beginning of the year, this deal will look great. If he isn't injured and this is who he is, then that 40m a year contract will hold us back for years. I am just frustrated because I saw how unstoppable this offense can be, and those games are quickly feeling like a distant memory.

How was Watson a huge upgrade over Dak? He has one career playoff win. False info for the loss.

diamonddelts

Reaction score
I was ready to move on.....Would have done what I had to do to move up and get Zack Wilson. Right now....ZW doesn't look great because he doesn't have the weapons we do...nor is his O-line together. But the money saved....not paying Dak....you could have kept this defense together for years to come.

Zach Wilson? Absolute garbage post.

diamonddelts

Reaction score
This last off-season was not the time to find a replacement. If they wanted to replace Dak, they should have looked for his replacement 2-3 years ago. Dak has had the luxury of playing with a top five offensive line, a top RB and a great group of WRs. Being surrounded with that much talent would make a lot of QBs look good.

Top 5 offensive line? Lmao!

jnday

Reaction score
It’s not hard to assume what it would take to make a move. When you’re in the bottom half of the first round you have to give up multiple 1sts move up for a highly touted QB. It’s not simple maneuvering, it’s mortgaging the future for a dice roll. The amount you’d have to give up for a less than 50% chance of success isn’t a smart move.

You’re acting like making a play for a top 7 pick is a run of the mill front office decision. It’s literally the biggest gamble in the sport.
The Eagles gambled and the result was their first Super Bowl win. It is not really gambling if you know what you are doing.

DanA

Reaction score
I’ve seen a lot of “we shouldn’t have paid him” talk and I’m genuinely curious as to what you resident CowboysZone GM’s would’ve done. He’s a top 10 QB. The way the market works is the next man up in that top 10ish bracket gets a top contract. He’s the 4th highest paid right now, in two years he’ll be the 8th or 9th. He’s not the highest paid QB forever. His teammates adore him there’s no way not signing him would go over well in the locker room. I don’t see any scenario where we let him go and are 10-4 at this point in the season.

What would’ve been y’all’s alternative? A rookie QB and miss out on the next best thing since LT? Try to sell the farm to Seattle when they obviously weren’t interested in trading away their only hope for winning football?

Seriously, what would y’all have done this offseason if you cut the chord on Dak?

Hindsight is 20-20

They of course would have seen this coming and traded Dak in 2019 only to draft Justin Herbert, Ceedee Lamb, Micah Parsons, and Rashawn Slater.

jnday

Reaction score
So what should they have done? Be specific.
I can’t remember who was available this offseason, so I sure couldn’t remember the QBs that was available 2-3 years ago. I do know that there is always options. One thing is for certain, Dak can not be replaced if no effort is made to find his replacement.

jnday

Reaction score
You are really out of touch with NFL football if you think no one else would have signed him. There are at least 14 teams that would have considered it and probably 6 or 7 that would have made serious offers in the $38-40 mil/year range.

I think the Dak contract is a bad contract but it was our only option. You cannot win without a good QB and Dak gives us that. Our front office sees our roster as ready to win now with stars nearing the end of their primes. They are correct in that assessment. We simply could not afford to play games and end up without a starting quality NFL QB. If you do that and end up having to start Andy Dalton, Cooper Rush, Teddy Bridgewater, Cam Newton, Fitz Magic, (you fill in the blank) you essentially torpedo your chance at a championship while also probably being good enough to prevent yourself from drafting a top-10 QB prospect in the draft this year which by the way is lacking blue chip talent at the QB position. Our hand was forced and anyone with a grain of critical thinking ability can see that. It was the right choice even if it isn’t optimal.

Also, everyone knows Dak is better than what we are getting out of him now. He is playing the worst football of his career. There is no reason to think he won’t return to form. I think our biggest issues are our offensive line and OC. I think Boy Wonder has not shown enough the last 3 years to warrant a 4th.
It was just a few weeks ago when fans were freaking out over the possibility of losing Boy Wonder. I think Moore is the same OC that he was early in the season. I do see poor execution by the players and I think the players are 90% of the problem.