Four CFP teams announced

nathanlt

Reaction score
The CFP are more seedings, not rankings, and the CFP committee has repeatedly said they include several factors.

Again, if I was an FSU fan I would be very upset with the CFP selections because I am sure getting an SEC team in the final 4 was heavily encouraged or desired by money.

Personally though as a college football fan, I want to see great football games and I am not sure FSU without Travis can score enough points to compete with the other teams in the CFP.

While not any consolidation for FSU fans, I am looking forward to watching FSU play Georgia in their bowl game.

If FSU beats Georgia, that will further the argument that FSU belonged in the CFP.

Of course if Georgia beats FSU then it will re-affirm to the CFP they made the right call which could impact future teams being excluded despite the 12-team CFP starting in 2024.
So, a QB injury in practice between now and then would open the door for FSU to get into the playoff? What about the teams leading receiver? It's a slippery slope, and like I said, a decision based on roster would put a bounty on QB's from this point until the semifinal games start, whether intentional or not. CFP is legally liable and should pay for additional security for all players between now and then. Brain-dead stupid decision on their part.

The decision is WRONG, no matter the outcome of any future bowl game.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Any of the 4 QBs, Michigan, Washington, Texas or bama, an injury in practice will disqualify them from the playoff. That's how stupid this is, and how legally liable the CFP will be if any of them is assaulted due to a crazed fan trying to even the score. The CFP has put a bounty on these 4 individuals, whether or not they've intended to.
After they select the teams , there is no process for rescinding a playoff birth. So, michigans entire OL could go down with injuries , and we still have to watch them in the playoff. Every QB has a bounty on their head every game. FSU just got unlucky in regard to the timing of the injury.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
After they select the teams , there is no process for rescinding a playoff birth. So, michigans entire OL could go down with injuries , and we still have to watch them in the playoff. Every QB has a bounty on their head every game. FSU just got unlucky in regard to the timing of the injury.
All very true!

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The decision is WRONG, no matter the outcome of any future bowl game.
There are a lot of fans and media who agree with you on that! :D

At the same time, there are also a lot of fans and media who disagree with you as well. :(

In the end, the CFP made the call and as I keep saying, I am sure the risk of not having an SEC team in the CFP and the money that comes with it heavily impacted their decision process.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I want to add, I was cut short due to my wife :muttley:

This is what I think happened:

Last night, they were fully prepared to put in Wash, Mich, Georgia and FSU. There would have been less fallout. But, Georgia losing screwed it all up. Now, they are in a pickle because they need to get in a team from the SEC.

They turned over every rock looking for a way to justify putting in Bama and leaving out Texas. There was no justification, so they played the game show Weakest Link. Excuses/reasons were made to remove FSU from consideration. There was no scenario where Alabama gets in over Texas and FSU paid the price.
Yes, lets pretend that SEC isnt the best conference and any of the other teams would be undefeated if they played in that conference. The reality is that the actual national title game is the SEC Championship game.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are a lot of fans and media who agree with you on that! :D

At the same time, there are also a lot of fans and media who disagree with you as well. :(

In the end, the CFP made the call and as I keep saying, I am sure the risk of not having an SEC team in the CFP and the money that comes with it heavily impacted their decision process.
Well, that and the fact the conference normally produces the national champion. Go Horned frogs, right?

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't have a favorite, but I wouldn't mind seeing a new team win the national championship :D
I just want to see the best games and not another 65-7 title game. I’m not a Bama fan but it’s been interesting watching them grow from the mess they were as a team against Texas week 1 into the bullies that kicked UGA’s butt. When Garret kept using Sabans line about “the process”, this is what he was trying to do. IMO, this year was Sabans finest coaching job. I expect them to win it all again

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just want to see the best games and not another 65-7 title game. I’m not a Bama fan but it’s been interesting watching them grow from the mess they were as a team against Texas week 1 into the bullies that kicked UGA’s butt. When Garret kept using Sabans line about “the process”, this is what he was trying to do. IMO, this year was Sabans finest coaching job. I expect them to win it all again
That's my thinking as well.

I am looking forward to seeing Michigan and Alabama play because it will either be a great game or we will get a good idea on how good those conferences are this year.

I think whoever wins the Texas-vs-Washington game will provide that comparison as well in the championship game.

While not the result FSU wanted, I am looking forward to seeing FSU play Georgia.

All in all, I think we get 4 games .. 3 in the CFP and 1 for the just-outside-the-bubble teams .. that should all be great to watch that should answer and/or confirm a lot of the questions and complaints people have right now.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's my thinking as well.

I am looking forward to seeing Michigan and Alabama play because it will either be a great game or we will get a good idea on how good those conferences are this year.

I think whoever wins the Texas-vs-Washington game will provide that comparison as well in the championship game.

While not the result FSU wanted, I am looking forward to seeing FSU play Georgia.

All in all, I think we get 4 games .. 3 in the CFP and 1 for the just-outside-the-bubble teams .. that should all be great to watch that should answer and/or confirm a lot of the questions and complaints people have right now.
The problem with the outside the CFP games is the guys who are going to the NFL next year and have nothing to prove, may not play. FSU has a few defenders in that category and so does UGA. So, it could be more of a shadow of the game it could have been. But, after watching the FSU back-up QBs, I’m not sure how they put one in the end zone against UGA.

As for the conferences , it is not relevant to leaving out FSU. The committee flat out said that they left FSU out bc they aren’t the same team without their QB. These kinds of decisions are why we went to a committee rather than just leaving it for the computers to decide.

Last edited:

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Pretty simple - with only 4 teams able to play for the national championship, some deserving team will be left out.

And as far as Florida State losing their starting qb, to say "we know they wouldn't be able to win the title" is ridiculous, remember Texas losing Colt McCoy early on in their game? They lost big time in that game, another team would in that case been a better choice, but it's all uncertain.

Can anybody guarantee that any of the 4 teams in the playoffs won't lose their quarterback in practices before the games, or in the first few plays in their first playoff game? Of course not, just like nobody can guarantee they will. NOBODY can predict the future, that to me should NOT be a factor in the decision.

The FCS has had a playoff system in place for years, and they have many more teams in their playoffs, and even finish long before the FBS teams even start their playoffs. 4 teams is not enough. Plenty of time to play a playoff schedule with 8, or even 16.

But of course, also we all know it's about money, not about who's the "best" team this year. College football long ago quit being an "extracurricular" activity and an "amateur" sport.

Fortunately, we won't have this issue after this year, though even with 12 teams, it still won't guarantee that the 13th or 23rd or whatever team wouldn't win the title if they played. Very unlikely, but you can't have 24 or 36 or such teams in the playoffs, would take too long and make the season too long. At some point you have to pick a reasonable number of teams, which imho, 12 is. Though I don't like the "bye weeks", too easy for some team to wrangle their schedule so that they can go undefeated by playing somewhat weaker teams.

No, no point in crying about it, sorry Florida State, it is what it is. Life ain't fair, and never will be. I don't like that you were excluded, I'd like to see them play Bama or whoever, but another season will come around in a few months, and you'll have more chances to get in the show...

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pretty simple - with only 4 teams able to play for the national championship, some deserving team will be left out.

And as far as Florida State losing their starting qb, to say "we know they wouldn't be able to win the title" is ridiculous, remember Texas losing Colt McCoy early on in their game? They lost big time in that game, another team would in that case been a better choice, but it's all uncertain.

Can anybody guarantee that any of the 4 teams in the playoffs won't lose their quarterback in practices before the games, or in the first few plays in their first playoff game? Of course not, just like nobody can guarantee they will. NOBODY can predict the future, that to me should NOT be a factor in the decision.

The FCS has had a playoff system in place for years, and they have many more teams in their playoffs, and even finish long before the FBS teams even start their playoffs. 4 teams is not enough. Plenty of time to play a playoff schedule with 8, or even 16.

But of course, also we all know it's about money, not about who's the "best" team this year. College football long ago quit being an "extracurricular" activity and an "amateur" sport.

Fortunately, we won't have this issue after this year, though even with 12 teams, it still won't guarantee that the 13th or 23rd or whatever team wouldn't win the title if they played. Very unlikely, but you can't have 24 or 36 or such teams in the playoffs, would take too long and make the season too long. At some point you have to pick a reasonable number of teams, which imho, 12 is. Though I don't like the "bye weeks", too easy for some team to wrangle their schedule so that they can go undefeated by playing somewhat weaker teams.

No, no point in crying about it, sorry Florida State, it is what it is. Life ain't fair, and never will be. I don't like that you were excluded, I'd like to see them play Bama or whoever, but another season will come around in a few months, and you'll have more chances to get in the show...
We saw FSU backups. They suck. So, it’s not much of a projection to say they aren’t the same team without their starting QB. The CFP is about putting the 4 best teams not the 4 most deserving. The fact is that FSU didn’t have a win against a top 10 team this year while the 4 teams that got in did have signature wins against top 5 teams. So, being honest , even with their starting QB, it is not clear they are a top 4 team. Certainly without him, they are not.

nathanlt

Reaction score
The problem with the outside the CFP games is the guys who are going to the NFL next year and have nothing to prove, may not play. FSU has a few defenders in that category and so does UGA. So, it could be more of a shadow of the game it could have been. But, after watching the FSU back-up QBs, I’m not sure how they put one in the end zone against UGA.
I see what you're saying, especially since CFP has essentially told players... if you are outside of the SEC and your QB1 is injured, don't bother playing hard, there's nothing you can do that will make a difference.

However, the 3rd string QB performance is irrelevant. FSU rallied, and showed the heart of a champion on the field. On paper, Georgia would have beaten bama, especially after they barely won against Auburn.... So predictions don't matter, the game played on the field does.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I see what you're saying, especially since CFP has essentially told players... if you are outside of the SEC and your QB1 is injured, don't bother playing hard, there's nothing you can do that will make a difference.

However, the 3rd string QB performance is irrelevant. FSU rallied, and showed the heart of a champion on the field. On paper, Georgia would have beaten bama, especially after they barely won against Auburn.... So predictions don't matter, the game played on the field does.
FSU’s best win this year was against Louisville. So, that didn’t help them either. But mostly it was about their QB.

Bama has improved a lot and I wasn’t surprised at all they beat UGA. They had a much tougher schedule and UGA is still recovering from losing 16 guys to the NFL last year. That and Saban is the GOAT.

There is no future lesson to learn here since the playoff expands to 12 teams next year.

Last edited:

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Going by the FSU logic... Last year, the NFL should have taken SF out of the NFC Championship game when they lost all their QBs, and let us play. :cool:

College football.... gotta love it.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Going by the FSU logic... Last year, the NFL should have taken SF out of the NFC Championship game when they lost all their QBs, and let us play. :cool:

College football.... gotta love it.
If Purdy had gone down before the playoffs started, you might have a solid analogy.

triplets_93

Reaction score
FIRST TAKE | The committee right on leaving unbeaten FSU out of NCAAF Playoff? - Shannon & Stephen A Smith

nathanlt

Reaction score
FSU’s best win this year was against Louisville. So, that didn’t help them either. But mostly it was about their QB.

Bama has improved a lot and I wasn’t surprised at all they beat UGA. They had a much tougher schedule and UGA is still recovering from losing 16 guys to the NFL last year. That and Saban is the GOAT.

There is no future lesson to learn here since the playoff expands to 12 teams next year.
Bama would not win against FSU quality defense, near NFL quality. They are no Auburn. CFP has NOTHING to do with who is injured. If it did, then all CFP rankings would be contingent on practice injuries between now and then. Any QB gets injured, then FSU is in... or is that an idiotic way to choose the top 4 teams. FSU is in, Bama is out, and Bama doesn't even have the right to play FSU for the 4th seed, Bama is the owner of 5th seed in reality. But CFP demands SEC be in, no matter what is sensible. Illegitimate playoff this year, no legitimate champion can exist. An asterisk won't do, it's not enough. Completely illegitimate.