Frank Pollack Out as Cowboys O-line Coach

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, they were great in 2016, but we're missing 2 guys since then. One(Free) of which everyone thought would be easily replaced......he wasn't replaced. Btw, what did the line's greatness get us in 2016? .........0-1 in the play offs:(

You're all over the map. What does that have to do with what Pollack got out of his players? They were never better than 2016. Now some of that no doubt is players reaching their prime but it's still an odd comment to make.

Pants

Reaction score
bring in a bunch of schlubs that ALL suck...so, in turn, Dallas sucks, we suffer, then Jones finally hears our cries of pain and dumps the ENTIRE staff and lets a new head coach pick his own coaches

ok, I need a beer after that

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think it's going to be Colombo. I think he was being groomed for it and they won't be interested in bringing in another guy ahead of him.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I think it's going to be Colombo. I think he was being groomed for it and they won't be interested in bringing in another guy ahead of him.
I feel like this is probably right.

They might want new ideas at other position groups, but IMO they just want continuity on the OL that is coming from a fresh(ish) voice.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I feel like this is probably right.

They might want new ideas at other position groups, but IMO they just want continuity on the OL that is coming from a fresh(ish) voice.

Scuttlebut was that Pollack wasn't in good graces though. Maybe it's the case where he wasn't, and they also liked Colombo and wanted to promote him. But I could also see them wanting to upgrade that spot outright.

Whatever they do, they need to fix the OL issues. That's the heart of how they built the team, and it's underperformed. They came on strong at the end of the season last year, but they actually started pretty shaky then, too.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you do not understand that Green's issues were not just a "lack of help" or the "playcalling", I don't feel the need to continue to discuss the topic.

An OL coach is a vital piece of a good coaching staff. Get the wrong one, you are asking for problems. They are not just some custodian who watches over the line that is at the mercy of the playcaller or coordinator. There is a lot more to it than that.

If you want to discuss the issue slow down and try and understand what I'm saying.

What I'm talking about is what happened in THAT MOMENT, in THAT GAME. Green had played well in the past - filled in for Smith some last year and did about as well as you could ask from a back up. Accordingly, there wasn't any reason to believe he would fall apart like that. But the fix wasn't something that could happen in midst of the game. That's what I meant by there are no magic words, or potions or spells. All that could have been done AT THAT MOMENT was to give Green help, and that was on Linehan.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Green had played well in the past - filled in for Smith some last year and did about as well as you could ask from a back up.

Green had the same head coach and the same offensive coordinator in those games he played well last year.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Green had the same head coach and the same offensive coordinator in those games he played well last year.

Exactly my point. There didn't seem to be any problem with Green, he was playing solid football, so it doesn't really make sense to think Pollack and Colombo were doing anything wrong with him. For whatever reason players sometimes just have a disaster game, and all a team can do is find ways to cover for it, which Linehan failed to do, or bench him, which they finally did.

And remember, these are also the same coaches that worked with Leary last year, and who helped Collins transition from OG to OT this year, and who incorporated Cooper into the mix. Seemed both Collins and Cooper kept improving over the season.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Exactly my point. There didn't seem to be any problem with Green, he was playing solid football, so it doesn't really make sense to think Pollack and Colombo were doing anything wrong with him. For whatever reason players sometimes just have a disaster game, and all a team can do is find ways to cover for it, which Linehan failed to do, or bench him, which they finally did.

And remember, these are also the same coaches that worked with Leary last year, and who helped Collins transition from OG to OT this year, and who incorporated Cooper into the mix. Seemed both Collins and Cooper kept improving over the season.

Pollack could be the fall guy for an offensive line that was just too banged up last year. Both Tyron Smith and La'el Collins played through back injuries. Now we learn Zack Martin had an elbow issue. The team did not settle on Jonathan Cooper at left guard until October. Chaz Green and Byron Bell were disasters at left tackle when Smith couldn't play.

No matter who the o-line coach is next year, I expect a better performance as long as there's better luck in the health department.