Frank Pollack Out as Cowboys O-line Coach

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
ummm, Pollard was the O-line coach. I hear we may be looking for a RB coach too. I think that was Gary Brown

He sure was. I blame Pollard for dropping the ball to some extent. I'm hoping he's replaced with someone better. Here's hoping, Brown is also. I deleted my post, since it went off topic.

Last edited:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't have a problem with Colombo if the Cowboys go that way. We know he understands the OL having had to learn the ins and outs enough to play at a high level in the NFL on really screwed up knees. That also shows he's a tough SOB. A lot of players would have given up after the way his career started.

BobSacamano

Reaction score
Lynn Scott, safeties, all around keep your job though no one is sure exactly what you contribute to the team, inexplicably hang around the team for years coach.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with Colombo if the Cowboys go that way. We know he understands the OL having had to learn the ins and outs enough to play at a high level in the NFL on really screwed up knees. That also shows he's a tough SOB. A lot of players would have given up after the way his career started.
Then you are severely underestimating how important a quality OL coach is.

So people were complaining about no adjustments and so on with Chaz Green, yet are okay with replacing Pollack with Colombo simply because he was a former player that they are familiar with and happen to like?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Then you are severely underestimating how important a quality OL coach is.

So people were complaining about no adjustments and so on with Chaz Green, yet are okay with replacing Pollack with Colombo simply because he was a former player that they are familiar with and happen to like?

How is Colombo responsible for the playcaller (Linehan) not adjusting by giving Green additional blocking help? There are no magic words in that situation. No potion or spell.

Alexander

Reaction score
How is Colombo responsible for the playcaller (Linehan) not adjusting by giving Green additional blocking help? There are no magic words in that situation. No potion or spell.
If you do not understand that Green's issues were not just a "lack of help" or the "playcalling", I don't feel the need to continue to discuss the topic.

An OL coach is a vital piece of a good coaching staff. Get the wrong one, you are asking for problems. They are not just some custodian who watches over the line that is at the mercy of the playcaller or coordinator. There is a lot more to it than that.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Clean out the house ,none of these coaches deserve to be on this team especially Linehan and Garrett.

It simply won't happen this year, as evidenced by Jerry's recent remarks on the subject. Next year might see something being done, although the new replacements will be a built in excuse for keeping JG and Linehan around for yet another year. I think it'll take a serious failure, even then, to replace them. I'm bracing myself for another 2 years of them both.

Last edited:

Alexander

Reaction score
Clean out the house ,none of these coaches deserve to be on this team especially Linehan and Garrett.
But they are staying and the thought of them staying in house for some of these vital assistant coach positions should concern you.

Sometimes having everyone on the exact same philosophical page and also especially beholden to the decision makers who are giving them their first break is not always healthy. Then you get a bunch of loyal yet inexperienced and unthinking yes-men.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Ok, to clear it up, that was opinion. Based on his limited time here as an assistant, in my opinion, he's not ready.

What's your opinion?

On Colombo? I really don't have any of him as a coach. He was one mean nasty guy as a RT, that's what I remember. Came back from a horrible knee injury and played pretty well for a few years here. If he can instill that nasty attitude in his players, I'm fine with him as a coach. Not all good players make good coaches though. I'd never make that assumption

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
He would be the least experienced OL coach in the league. He has never directed one on any level.

That's probably fact. I don't have time to check how many 1'st year O=line coaches there are in the league. They all have to start some where though. If experience is the leading criterion why are we getting rid of Pollack? Hey, I'm not stumping for Colombo as an O-line coach. For that matter it isn't even official that Pollack is leaving. It's the rumor of the day :confused:

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
He sure was. I blame Pollard for dropping the ball to some extent. I'm hoping he's replaced with someone better. Here's hoping, Brown is also. I deleted my post, since it went off topic.

Well, when 2/5ths of the O-line is new, I don't blame Pollard for anything really. Did anyone think we could just replace 2/5ths of the line without some growing pains. I surely don't blame him for T Smiths back, groin and knee issues. I'm not sure who to blame for making the decision that Greenie was a good swing tackle. I suppose that was based on 2016 when he played pretty well when Smith was out. I think we jut want to blame someone. Blame inexperience IMO or I could blame McClay, Director of Player Personnel, for bringing in Bell. Nah, I'm not blaming anyone