Free Agency Rumors Thread

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He's a poster boy for what the Cowboys are trying to do with their DL. Seattle signed him last year to a cheap deal and he started (at the 3) for the Super Bowl champs who had a killer rotational defense. (He started 15 games last year so did he miss the playoff run?)

I thought we wanted a quick twitch 3 tech not a run stuffing two down guy?

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Their guys were in the Super Bowl.

Ours were part of the worst defense in the league.

Our D was also decimated by injuries (and decimated is not even descriptive enough) so that comparison is misleading. A healthy Cowboys D would have been better than Denver's. If Cowboys continue to let their best DL go, then what happened last year is just a precursor of what is going to come in 2014. Ware, a slam dunk future HOFer, had ONE bad season and he was released. Hatcher had one of the best DT seasons in Cowboys history and may not be re-signed. I understand age and trying to get younger, but Romo does not have a lot of time and having him play on a rebuilding team is wasteful.

Cowboys are not making moves to challenge for any championships in the near future. Their moves are purely financial right now.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I thought we wanted a quick twitch 3 tech not a run stuffing two down guy?

Well, today we are working on depth.

Don't ask questions.

Just trust that Rod Marinelli is the DL Whisperer.

Once they have that nickname, forget about it. Instant star.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Well, today we are working on depth.

Don't ask questions.

Just trust that Rod Marinelli is the DL Whisperer.

Once they have that nickname, forget about it. Instant star.

No ####.
Marinelli get two guys out of nineteen to have good years and now he can turn water to wine

Alexander

Reaction score
Our D was also decimated by injuries (and decimated is not even descriptive enough) so that comparison is misleading. A healthy Cowboys D would have been better than Denver's.

So explain why we don't have any of those players anymore and appear to be signing low level free agents that are equivalent to what we were signing off the street during the season in free agency?

The idea of a "healthy" Dallas D is just the excuse. We had a flawed plan from the beginning. Ratliff was already washed up. If you believe what we did to Ware means anything, so is he. Spencer's knee did not just suddenly decided to degenerate in a couple of months.

Alexander

Reaction score
No ####.
Marinelli get two guys out of nineteen to have good years and now he can turn water to wine

I do not doubt he is a good coach.

But seriously. Are we really turning to this turn chicken feathers into chicken soup approach?

I can only hope after today's idiotic signings that we are just confused and are doing it backwards.

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
Revis has actually contacted the Jets about going back to them. per Rapoport.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
I thought Carriker was in really bad physical shape, like he might not pass a physical.

Quad injury in 2012, but did not play much in 2013. Should be all healed up in 2014. But maybe an incentive laden contract? He had a career year 5.5 sacks at 3-4 DE (better than Hatch's career numbers as 3-4 DE) in 2012. Worth a shot, moreso than some of the scrubs Dallas is looking at now.

Alexander

Reaction score
The one silver lining I see is that nobody in the division has signed a player I feel is a difference maker.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
So explain why we don't have any of those players anymore and appear to be signing low level free agents that are equivalent to what we were signing off the street during the season in free agency?

The idea of a "healthy" Dallas D is just the excuse. We had a flawed plan from the beginning. Ratliff was already washed up. If you believe what we did to Ware means anything, so is he. Spencer's knee did not just suddenly decided to degenerate in a couple of months.

Ware is not washed up. That is just the group think stupidity on this board. He is washed up after 2 injury plagued seasons of (11 and 6 sacks)??? Those are career highs for lesser mortals. The standard that Ware is held up to (15+ sacks/season, double digit sacks/game, no injuries, etc.) is ridiculous.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I think we can safely assume, the Cowboys are going to platoon the DL this offseason. If you can breathe and 2-3 years playing DL in the NFL, you have a chance in Dallas.

Yeah. It's gonna like last year. Randoms off the street every week.

The least the could do is designate a single jersey number for the weekly new guy.

Like whoever wears 99 or whatever is the guy who came out on top during Tuesdays tryout.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

But seriously. Are we really turning to this turn chicken feathers into chicken soup approach?

I can only hope after today's idiotic signings that we are just confused and are doing it backwards.

I love the guy but the fan base is almost setting themselves up for disappointment and him for failure

Hoofbite

Reaction score

It's one thing if Rod finding a guy just happens by itself.

It's entirely another to bank on it to happening again, and again, and again.

ceerrece

Reaction score
Bring Carriker for a tryout, and if he's healthy sign him on a pro incentive contract. Just add some DE please...

Alexander

Reaction score
I love the guy but the fan base is almost setting themselves up for disappointment and him for failure

I do not have any problem with Marinelli on a surface level. Good accomplished coach.

I just see us doing the same idiotic approach we served up to Callahan two years ago.

Here is Phil Costa. Here is Bill Nagy. Go.

Alexander

Reaction score
Ware is not washed up. That is just the group think stupidity on this board. He is washed up after 2 injury plagued seasons of (11 and 6 sacks)??? Those are career highs for lesser mortals. The standard that Ware is held up to (15+ sacks/season, double digit sacks/game, no injuries, etc.) is ridiculous.

I think he will be like many other 30 something DEs who got a reduced workload over the years. He will be fine if utilized correctly.