Game of Thrones Season 5 ***spoilers***

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Just some random ideas, thoughts, and speculations. Not really spoilers as the books are not done and the shows are not done but speculations.

Although there are many speculations and rumors of who is going to be who and who will rule and all of that. One thing we can pretty much agree on (or we should) is that there will be a battle of good vs Evil.
Man vs White Walkers and their wright minions. (Man can be evil and we have seen that on this show but for arguments sake Men are the good in this battle).

Now if the battle happens and Man (man includes any humans and in the case of this book, dragons) win out they will pretty much have to kill the White Walkers and their minions or come to an agreement that they will go away forever.

Point being when the battle is over and Man wins (do we really think they will lose). Pretty good chance there will no longer be a need for the Wall or at least the Nights Watch. Which could be "one" way for Jon Snow to leave the nights watch without renouncing his oath to persue other "jobs or titles".

We also have the wildings being able to farm the lands south of the wall...

EXCEPT the Thenns. This is speculation again. The wildings pretty much don't like the Thenns...We had Jon's woman say she hated them, we had the female clan member in the last episode say she don't like Thenns and I think we had Tormund say the same thing at one time or another.
The Thenns prefer Human meat for their dinner. I am sure other humans would not be too keen on that. The wildings can let it slide when they are fighting because it would just be the enemies...the Thenns can not eat the White Walkers or Wrights and that is the only enemy other than the crows and southern people. So if they move south of the wall who will they kill and eat? Don't seem like the type to compromise and only eat deer or other game. So...My thought is all the wildings will move south of the wall except the Thenns who will be killed out or something else happens to them.

====

Jon has Valeryian steel he got from Lord Mormont.
Jon's father, Lord Stark had Valeryian Steel (probably not a coincidence it was named ICE).
That Sword, Ice, was later used to cut off Ned's head and they melted it down to make two Swords.
Geoffery had one (widows wail) who should be passed on to Tommen.
The king slayer received one but he gave it to Brienne who named it Oathkeeper.
You have the dagger that was going to be used to kill Brandon.
Samwell Tarly's (sp?) Father also has one but I don't recall if they named the sword.
Look for Sam's father to be part of the cast and story next year. Stannis made mention that he was the only man to
best Robert in battle and word is that there is a casting call for two major characters for next season one seems to be Euron Greyjoy the other Tarly.
Tyrion at one time or another, or maybe it was Sam, has said there are more Valeryian steel swords out there but they are somewhat rare.

So we know that Valeryian steel can kill the white walkers and Obsidian and Dragon glass.

====

As in the books, at this point, and as in the show series....It seems that Rickon Stark, Osha (the wilding woman) and ShaggyDog seem to have pretty much vanished like Richie Cunningham's Brother who was on happy days the first season, went to his room and was never seen again.

===

Something else to wonder about. Sansa's Direwolf is dead. Rob's Direwolf is dead, Jon's Direwolf is at the wall, Rickons Direwolf is with him and Osha, Brandon's dire wolf is with him at the tree....Where is Arya's direwolf? Remember she told it to get away from here because she thought Geoffery would want it killed. In the books it at times writes about a large wolf running with a pack but nothing in the show about it. I wonder if we ever see Nymeria (arya's direwolf) again.

Just some rambling thoughts.

List of known Valyrian steel blades
Blades known to still exist:

Blades with known fates:

Blades with unknown fates:

Other objects
  • A small number of maesters, including Maester Luwin and Archmaester Marwyn, have Valyrian steel links in their collars, representing their study of magic and occultism. Marwyn also has a ring, a rod and a mask of Valyrian steel.[13][14]
  • Dragonbinder - a dragon horn banded with red gold and Valyrian steel.
  • The crown worn by Aegon I Targaryen (and a few other kings), embedded with rubies.
Dragonsteel
When looking in the archives of the Night's Watch for a way to combat the Others Samwell Tarly reads about dragonsteel. He and Jon Snow think Valyrian steel may be meant by this.[5][6]

DallasDomination

Reaction score
What about the sword of the morning ? I know it's not dragon steel but isn't it even stronger?

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What about the sword of the morning ? I know it's not dragon steel but isn't it even stronger?

The sword of the morning is not a sword, it is a title of someone from the house Dayne who is worthy of the sword named "Dawn".

You are right it is not made of Valeryian steel, from description it appears to be forged from a metal from a fallen star.

The last person to have "Dawn" and in so be titled Sword of the morning, was Ser Arthur Dayne when he was a kings guard to Aerys Targaryen (sp?) who was killed during Robert's (Baretheon) Rebellion.

At this time Nobody wields "Dawn" so there is nobody with the title of Sword of the Morning.

It Currently resides in Starfall Castle (The daynes family castle) and nobody wields it as nobody has been deemed worthy of it or the title of Sword of the Morning.

However you do bring up an interesting topic.

Would this sword be something that the final King, or Queen. would wield to become sword of the morning and use against the White Walkers.

Might tie into the Comet that was talked about multiple times in the first season and book but rarely, if ever, mentioned again throughout the rest of the series or books.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
The sword of the morning is not a sword, it is a title of someone from the house Dayne who is worthy of the sword named "Dawn".

You are right it is not made of Valeryian steel, from description it appears to be forged from a metal from a fallen star.

The last person to have "Dawn" and in so be titled Sword of the morning, was Ser Arthur Dayne when he was a kings guard to Aerys Targaryen (sp?) who was killed during Robert's (Baretheon) Rebellion.

At this time Nobody wields "Dawn" so there is nobody with the title of Sword of the Morning.

It Currently resides in Starfall Castle (The daynes family castle) and nobody wields it as nobody has been deemed worthy of it or the title of Sword of the Morning.

However you do bring up an interesting topic.

Would this sword be something that the final King, or Queen. would wield to become sword of the morning and use against the White Walkers.

Might tie into the Comet that was talked about multiple times in the first season and book but rarely, if ever, mentioned again throughout the rest of the series or books.

Very interesting, and thanks for clarifying some things. I thought someone had the sword already but not since Arthur Dayne huh..That guy was a beast from what I've heard.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Very interesting, and thanks for clarifying some things. I thought someone had the sword already but not since Arthur Dayne huh..That guy was a beast from what I've heard.

Kind of interesting as it just seems to be sitting there. One wonders if it is GRR Martin doing this as his nod to the Arthur legend and Excalibur.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
I was reading a lot about The Night's King yesterday. He has an interesting back story. I won't give too much away, even though it's really not a spoiler since it's been talked about already. Old Nan told Bran the story in Season 1/Book 1 and Ygritte even told Jon the story again last season. It wasn't known that the leader of the White Walkers was the same Night's King until the directors let it slip after last week's episode. But the story is interesting and had ties to the Stark family and the Night's Watch.

cml750

Reaction score
I am excited for tonight's episode. It is finally heating up this season. This season was kind of dragging along up until now.

FloridaRob

Reaction score
during the scene, I kept saying call your dragons, call your dragons. Great episode tonight. The only bad thing about this episode means there is only one left the the season. Then we have to wait until forever to see it again. GOT and Homeland are the two best shows on TV.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
This episode had it all.. I loved the Dragon scene and the Jora redemption. All of that was great. But Stannis, and what he did to his daughter just had me all messed up..I just cant put into words how badly I want him to suffer now. And to think I rooted for him, I'm done with him and his cause.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
What the "Princess Shireen, house of Baratheon" is going on here!!!!

Edit: The Dorne scenes are still pretty average... along with the CGI of the Queen Flying away..

Last edited:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This episode had it all.. I loved the Dragon scene and the Jora redemption. All of that was great. But Stannis, and what he did to his daughter just had me all messed up..I just cant put into words how badly I want him to suffer now. And to think I rooted for him, I'm done with him and his cause.
House Baratheon is dead to me after what happened to Stannis' daughter. It's past time for the Red Woman's karma to catch up with her as well. The only character I hope survives in Stannis' house is Davos. Everyone else can be invited to a red wedding as far as I'm concerned.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
House Baratheon is dead to me after what happened to Stannis' daughter. It's past time for the Red Woman's karma to catch up with her as well. The only character I hope survives in Stannis' house is Davos. Everyone else can be invited to a red wedding as far as I'm concerned.

The writers did a poor job with the Stannis character imo. It removes our struggle to identify him. The stone, but passionate character they gave him is now rendered useless, because the act he led is easily the most terrible act on the show. I don't know which way the book is going with this.... but I don't think this was wise character development. Some might say he had no choice, but the writers had a choice in the direction they were going to take this.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The writers did a poor job with the Stannis character imo. It removes our struggle to identify him. The stone, but passionate character they gave him is now rendered useless, because the act he led is easily the most terrible act on the show. I don't know which way the book is going with this.... but I don't think this was wise character development. Some might say he had no choice, but the writers had a choice in the direction they were going to take this.
IMO, the Red Woman and her faction corrupted Stannis' ambition. Sure, it produces results through dark magic but with significant strings attached. Davos warns him constantly of the inherit dangers but Stannis' has tunnel vision. It will lead him to his doom, hopefully at the hands of the White Walkers (yeah I'm so done with House Baratheon).

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
IMO, the Red Woman and her faction corrupted Stannis' ambition. Sure, it produces results through dark magic but with significant strings attached. Davos warns him constantly of the inherit dangers but Stannis' has tunnel vision. It will lead him to his doom, hopefully at the hands of the White Walkers (yeah I'm so done with House Baratheon).

And I agree with this.. its proper reasoning... But why the scenes with Sam and his vote of confidence,and respect?.....Or Shireen about how she survived her youth infliction, and his love for her and why he saved her?.... I don't think those scenes are necessary... because he does have tunnel vision. The passion they were trying to sell us was useless, because we have no reason to root for him, or maybe despise him, or be confused..... we only despise him... end of story... The character arc should have remained on the same path it was taking in the first few season... This season his character was just a hoax....

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I guess the whole idea of making Stannis seem more human this season was to lull us into a false sense of security when it came to his daughter and the red priestess.
I don't think that was in the book and if it was I missed it so until last night I did not think it would happen.

However as I have noted before, if you see the start of each episode when they go and show previous topics...you always get a good idea of what is going to happen. Well when they showed the leeches I knew his daughter was in danger. When he made Sir Davos go, he knew it, I think Davos knew it and of course I imagine most of us figured it out at that time.

I normally watch the episode live and I will watch it again in the morning before heading to work (early riser). I had to fast forward through that part with the screams. Oh and now that the mother finally waked up (little late) I wonder if that will play a part going forward as we all know Stannis still wants to get with the red woman after the first time but she keeps spurning him. Stannis' wife was ok with them being together but now maybe she has woken up after not caring and not really liking her own daughter before. I doubt it but that is something to wonder about going forward. Hell, Fury Woman Scorned and all lol.

The other part...making Sir Meryn Trant even worse than he already was. I understand they want to make a bad guy and he was that already. I can understand where they want to make him even worse in order for Arya to justify it to her teacher and the many faced god's acts of assassination. But man did we have to go there. I know it could have been worse and heard the girl crying or something but still...ugggh that with Stannis and his daughter.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
I don't think that was in the book and if it was I missed it so until last night I did not think it would happen.

The other part...making Sir Meryn Trant even worse than he already was. I understand they want to make a bad guy and he was that already. I can understand where they want to make him even worse in order for Arya to justify it to her teacher and the many faced god's acts of assassination. But man did we have to go there. I know it could have been worse and heard the girl crying or something but still...ugggh that with Stannis and his daughter.

Good, I'm glad it didn't happen like that in the books...... Even if he burns her... the character don't have to give us 4 pump fakes before he does so.

Yeh..... Arya is now in position to be the champion for young girls... it was a very calculated balance in that episode imo....