Game of Thrones

DFWJC

Reaction score
Still loving this series!

I'm going the normal route and just watching them as they are released on HBO TV....so I think I'm through #9 now.
This has been outstanding. I'm trying to turn some other folks on to it.

Sorry to see the head roll.

RobK26

Reaction score
Joffrey reminds me a bit of the Sonic guys, every time I see any of them I want to beat them senseless!

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
RobK26;3972728 said:
Joffrey reminds me a bit of the Sonic guys, every time I see any of them I want to beat them senseless!

Yeah, Viserys fit that mold too. :laugh2: As a matter of fact, if Sansa was male, she would too.

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
Finally got around to watching this weeks episode. Easily the best one yet. Although, as ChldsPlay mentioned, I wish they could have expanded capturing Jaime.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
AmarilloCowboyFan;3973259 said:
Finally got around to watching this weeks episode. Easily the best one yet. Although, as ChldsPlay mentioned, I wish they could have expanded capturing Jaime.

I just read that portion of the book last night and I don't get what all the fuss is about. It's not like the book describes the taking of Jamie blow by blow. It is done from Catelyn's point of view and her view of the battle is obstructed by the trees. She is basically just describing the sounds of battle. You don't hear about who Jamie killed in battle until they tell her *after* they said to take him away and put him in irons.

Reaction score
Temo;3972615 said:
Yea, and that seems like a bit of very obvious casting. He's quite the physical specimen.

Funny factoid: The 7' tall guy who plays Gregor Clegane in the GoT HBO show is actually named Conan. They should've gotten him to play Conan in that movie. :laugh2:

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Just 1 more episode right? Anyone know when they will begin shooting season 2? Waiting is going to suck but it will give me time to start reading the books.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
viman96;3973763 said:
Just 1 more episode right? Anyone know when they will begin shooting season 2? Waiting is going to suck but it will give me time to start reading the books.
It's HBO. It may be 2 years before we have another season.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I badly want those Lannister's to get roasted..

Kevinicus

Reaction score
nyc;3973263 said:
I just read that portion of the book last night and I don't get what all the fuss is about. It's not like the book describes the taking of Jamie blow by blow. It is done from Catelyn's point of view and her view of the battle is obstructed by the trees. She is basically just describing the sounds of battle. You don't hear about who Jamie killed in battle until they tell her *after* they said to take him away and put him in irons.

It was an opportunity to use the visual medium of television to show something that is talked about in the books. It'd be nice for them to really show how ****** Jaime is. The fight with Ned earlier in the year didn't really do that.

But I was actually more interested in seeing Tyrion, Bronn, and the clans go at it, even if it was brief.

Temo

Reaction score
theogt;3973795 said:
It's HBO. It may be 2 years before we have another season.

They did already renew it, so it might not be that long. And I mean it won't take long to write it, obviously. Though the filming will be tough, I'm sure... things only get bigger as the story progresses, increasing technical demands.

I forsee a problem with people who are non-book readers who are now hooked on the show. It'll be mostly impossible to stay spoiler-free until the second season is underway.

Temo

Reaction score
ChldsPlay;3973879 said:
It was an opportunity to use the visual medium of television to show something that is talked about in the books. It'd be nice for them to really show how ****** Jaime is. The fight with Ned earlier in the year didn't really do that.

But I was actually more interested in seeing Tyrion, Bronn, and the clans go at it, even if it was brief.

Yea, plus battles on TV tend to be more exciting. GRRM does very little descriptions of the actual pitch of battle (rarely more than "he lay about hacking away" or somesuch, IIRC), because it's hard to do justice to the intensity of a group battle on paper.

TV seems to be a good medium to do so, though of course it can be very expensive to do so.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
I do wonder how they'll handle the character who is nearly non existent in the 2nd book.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
ChldsPlay;3973879 said:

This I agree with. The show made out like he just got knocked out when in reality that isn't anywhere close to what happen. *book spoiler* (capturing a knight)

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Temo;3973900 said:
Yea, plus battles on TV tend to be more exciting. GRRM does very little descriptions of the actual pitch of battle (rarely more than "he lay about hacking away" or somesuch, IIRC), because it's hard to do justice to the intensity of a group battle on paper.

TV seems to be a good medium to do so, though of course it can be very expensive to do so.

Read Richard Knaak's Legend of Huma.

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
ChldsPlay;3973879 said:

That's what I meant. Jaime is supposed to be one of the most ****** knights in the whole realm which hasn't really been shown yet. Him seeing Rob on the battlefield and hewing his way through 5-6 guys trying to get to him could have helped out in that aspect.

The way they protrayed the Tyrion bit it looked like he missed the whole battle.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Quick question... I'm through about 100 pages in the first book. Is the season finale this week supposed to coincide with the ending of the first book? Usually in these new series, the first season has fewer episodes than the ones that follow if the show is renewed. I thought the typical HBO dramatic series season was 12-13 episodes.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
AmarilloCowboyFan;3974081 said:
That's what I meant. Jaime is supposed to be one of the most ****** knights in the whole realm which hasn't really been shown yet. Him seeing Rob on the battlefield and hewing his way through 5-6 guys trying to get to him could have helped out in that aspect.

The way they protrayed the Tyrion bit it looked like he missed the whole battle.

They probably thought about that, then looked at Nikolaj Coster-Waldau. (the guy that plays Jamie) He isn't exactly very big, muscular, or intimidating for that matter. He probably can't even swing his two handed sword well enough to pull off a scene like that. (marauding through 5-6 people)

Except for Tywin, all the Lannisters look like Dirk five years ago. Soft :laugh2:

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
peplaw06;3974084 said:
Quick question... I'm through about 100 pages in the first book. Is the season finale this week supposed to coincide with the ending of the first book? Usually in these new series, the first season has fewer episodes than the ones that follow if the show is renewed. I thought the typical HBO dramatic series season was 12-13 episodes.

I've just about caught completely up with the show and I have maybe 100-150 pages left. If this coming week's episode is the last for this season, I would say yes. That said, I think someone noted that the first book is the shortest.