Garrett offered Ravens coaching job

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
theogt;1906684 said:
So why continue? He's not going anywhere. It's his team. Not your team. It's his team.

Dude, Did you read the whole post? I clearly stated that I did not hate him. I admire and respect the passion he has for HiS team.By your logic you have to like every single thing about a team in order to continue to be a fan of that team.Plus, there is a reasonably good chance I will out live him. LOL

UVAwahoos

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;1906709 said:
Yeah I do. Just being honest.

If Wade goes and Garrett stays than Sparano also needs to just to make up for the lack of experience.

JMO

Dodger12

Reaction score
theogt;1906682 said:
I think it'd be the smart thing to do just so we don't have to hear about it from the idiots on the board and the media. But I don't think it would affect their relationship or their coaching one iota.

Of course you do because in your world, you devalue the position of HC, who, technically, should be the supervisor and oversee his coordinators. What does that say when some people here believe the value of a coordinator, both literally and figuratively, is greater than that of the HC?

Who was more valuable at the time of their respective tenure with the Cowboys: Landry/Jimmy Johnson or one of their coordinators?

And what job do you work at where the employee gets paid more than the boss who supervises him/her?

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
Avery;1906739 said:
On NFLN not too long ago, Schefter stated that Garrett will accept the position.

Im going to rage if Garrett takes that job. He thought the late season collapse on offense was bad? Well we are stocked with talent, he is going to get demolished trying to run an offense with Troy Smith. I wont even say good luck, but I will make sure to give a nice Nelson Muntz 'ha-ha' when it all goes tits up for him.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Duane;1906726 said:
I agree with what you're saying Mick but if RJ is as smart as we think he is, he signed a contract with Jerry stating that he's the next head coach of the Cowboys. If he's fired by Jones or not promoted in X number of years Jerry has to pay him a lump sum of money.

I think Williams in Washington has a similar deal.

True, this was discussed at length.

The first rebuttal would be, if Jason Garrett indeed has a contract that stipulates that he is to be the Coach in x number of years, why exactly is he interviewing?

Now, I know one of the contentions is that he is gaining interview experience and understanding the process, but why go through all of that when you are guranteed a Head Coaching job to begin with?

I personally don't believe it is in his contract. I think he knows he has a pretty good chance of becoming the Head Coach, but I don't think anything was promised to him, other than a Coordinator position and maybe a chance to interview for the Head Coaching job, when it becomes available.

I am not enamoured with Wade Phillips, but he is our Head Coach, so I will support him. I do feel we will be fine without Jason Garrett on our staff.

I am happy for him and he should consider every opportunity thrown his way.

MikMak

Reaction score
Dodger12;1906753 said:
And what job do you work at where the employee gets paid more than the boss who supervises him/her?

Actually there are quite a few football players who make much more than their bosses.

But as for coaches you're right. It would be very weird for a head coach to get paid less than an assistant. The players wouldn't feel the coach is really the one in command.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Dodger12;1906753 said:

It happens all the time with contractors and consultants.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
mickgreen58;1906758 said:
True, this was discussed at length.

The first rebuttal would be, if Jason Garrett indeed has a contract that stipulates that he is to be the Coach in x number of years, why exactly is he interviewing?

Its more than just learning the process it also has everything to do with getting to know people around the league and establishing a good reputation.

If you are asked to interview with a position and decline to even talk to them I would think that many front offices would see that as an insult.

Why do that when its really nothing but a positive experience for everyone involved.

RxMan

Reaction score
J.Clayton reporting that Garrett is still considering and would likely bring C.Cameron on as OC and Dom Capers as DC.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;1906790 said:
Its more than just learning the process it also has everything to do with getting to know people around the league and establishing a good reputation.

If you are asked to interview with a position and decline to even talk to them I would think that many front offices would see that as an insult.

Why do that when its really nothing but a positive experience for everyone involved.

True.

But wouldn't you be more offended if you found out that the interview was really just a fraud?

That indeed, this guy has a contract already in hand that gurantees that he will be the Head Coach of the team he is currently with.

I know the Ravens don't seem to think it is in his contract, as it seems like they have offered him the job.

There are other opportunities to get to know folks in the NFL besides interviewing.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Dodger12;1906753 said:
Of course you do because in your world, you devalue the position of HC, who, technically, should be the supervisor and oversee his coordinators. What does that say when some people here believe the value of a coordinator, both literally and figuratively, is greater than that of the HC?

Who was more valuable at the time of their respective tenure with the Cowboys: Landry/Jimmy Johnson or one of their coordinators?

I work for a construction company who sells doors and windows to construction projects. The salesman who bids all the door and window jobs here regularly takes home commission checks of $3000 - $5000 per week. Sometimes more than that. I know of one weekly check he got that was $15,000. He very well could have had checks bigger than this. I don't know.

If he retired right now he would have residual checks coming in for the next 3 years for upcoming jobs that he bid. Granted they would be less than what he brings in right now.

As it stands right now, he is making more money than the President and Owner of this company.

Definition of me being happy...he has already told me he thinks I will get his job when he retires.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
mickgreen58;1906801 said:
True.

But wouldn't you be more offended if you found out that the interview was really just a fraud?

That indeed, this guy has a contract already in hand that gurantees that he will be the Head Coach of the team he is currently with.

I know the Ravens don't seem to think it is in his contract, as it seems like they have offered him the job.

There are other opportunities to get to know folks in the NFL besides interviewing.

They are the ones inviting him for the interview. He didnt contact them and if they are going to get offended because he is being gracious well then thats tough titty for them.

I really dont care if he leaves. He seemed quite undisciplined to me and he choked pretty bad on Sunday.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Howbout this news..

Garret is taking cam cameron with him.

Now we are in a really tough spot.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
RxMan;1906796 said:
J.Clayton reporting that Garrett is still considering and would likely bring C.Cameron on as OC and Dom Capers as DC.

If he leaves he is probably going to have competition for Cameron. Wade and Cam worked together on a very successful Charger team and would you rather OC for Smith and McGahee or Romo, Barber, TO, Witten and an all pro line?

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
According to KTCK, people close to Garrett are saying it is about 60/40 he take the job...

utrunner07

Reaction score
RxMan;1906693 said:
Anyone think JJ is pondering letting Phillips go right now?
No doubt he is at least running that scenario through his scheme machine

ETex

Reaction score
I can't believe how much everyone wants to throw Wade Phillips under the bus!!!! How many years was Parcells (the GENIUS) given? The man gives us a 13-3 season as a 1st year HC and the offensive coordinator gives us production SLIGHTLY ahead of last years group and many of ya'll crown him?!!? Give Wade a chance my GOD.
No doubt Garrett will be great but come one people; do you really think he's ready?

ethiostar

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind if one of JG or TS leave. But if BOTH leave we might be in trouble. I'm sure the new OC will have his own scheme, terminology, etc.... that will require an adjustment period.