Garrett offered Ravens coaching job

Dodger12

Reaction score
iceberg;1906505 said:
all over a coach that when jones hired him BEFORE a HC, the board did a HATE ON JONES meltdown... go figure.

jones can do no right but we sure hate losing the staff he's putting together.

Cbz40;1856162 said:
[SIZE=+2]Q&A with Jerry Jones

[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]06:54 PM CST on Monday, December 24, 2007

[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]By BRAD TOWNSEND / The Dallas Morning News
btownsend@***BANNED-URL***
[/SIZE]
http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sharedcontent/dws/img/12-07/1225jj.jpgTOM FOX / DMN

Ten months ago, you were somewhat criticized for hiring Jason Garrett prior to hiring Wade Phillips. Here's your chance to say, "I told you so."

I think I would want everyone to know that I am sensitive to the order and the more palatable way of putting a staff together – and that is hire a head coach and then let him be a big part of the decision on who the staff is. I understand any awkwardness that doing it any other way creates.
Having said that, Jason just wasn't going to be available if I waited until I made the decision on the head coach. The only way to get him was that he would call the plays. [Miami Dolphins owner] Wayne Huizenga said, "I'm not going to let you have him only to be a position coach."

Now, that's not the answer to your question. The question is, do I feel good that Jason is making the impact that he's making? I'm compelled every time to say that Tony Sparano is also very much involved in that offense. Between the two of them, [the results] have been more than I could have hoped for.

The board questioned Jerry hiring a coordinator before a HC. Jerry himself said in the above interview that the order with which you put a staff together is hire the HC and let him choose his coordinators and that it creates an "awkwardness" to do it any other way.

That is what people here, including myself, were questioning. Even Jerry said that's not the way things are normally done so I don't see why all the debate, especially from people here who claimed that it was common, even though Jerry will tell you it's not. He had his reasons and everyone understands why he did it. It was never a slight on JG.

juck

Reaction score
thewireman;1906628 said:
Who is that a picture of either dead or laying underneth couch cushions?
laying under cushions,idk its a great album.lol.

juck

Reaction score
thewireman;1906628 said:
Who is that a picture of either dead or laying underneth couch cushions?
i dont know i think hes under cushions,its a great album thats all i know,lol.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1906625 said:
That is the whole deal. Cowher is a good coach but he did not win SB right off the bat. Our own Tom Landry went through disappointments vs Cleveland, Green Bay and Balt before we ever got to a SB and Dallas fans wanted him gone because he was called a choker whose team could not win the big one. Fortunately we had an owner who stuck by Landry and Cowher had an owner who stuck by him when the masses wanted them gone.

Exactly. This team once had the nickname of "Next Year's Champions". They couldn't win the big one. Can you imagine message boards back then?

Even prior to last year, Tony Dungy and Peyton Manning were chokers who couldn't win when it counted.

I haven't checked any Steeler boards, because I couldn't care less about them, but I'm sure tons of people want the head of Mike Tomlin, who only was a COY candidate, on a platter.

People need a little perspective.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
theogt;1906626 said:
You don't like the HC. You don't like the GM.

Why even watch the team? Is it the laundry? Do you like the blue fabric?

This is exactly my point. Why on earth do fans be fans of this team if they hate JJ and they hate the HC and they hate the players.

Seriously, go pull for the Pats like everyone else.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Dodger12;1906633 said:
The board questioned Jerry hiring a coordinator before a HC. Jerry himself said in the above interview that the order with which you put a staff together is hire the HC and let him choose his coordinators and that it creates an "awkwardness" to do it any other way.

That is what people here, including myself, were questioning. Even Jerry said that's not the way things are normally done so I don't see why all the debate, especially from people here who claimed that it was common, even though Jerry will tell you it's not. He had his reasons and everyone understands why he did it. It was never a slight on JG.

1. because it wasn't merely questioning it by many - it was outright hatred on jones AS USUAL from the usual suspects.
2. suddenly jones is a fool to let garrett get away.

people don't even think - they just shout out whatever is happening at the time. 90% of the people only think 10% of the time.

Kilyin

Reaction score
Dallas;1906645 said:
This is exactly my point. Why on earth do fans be fans of this team if they hate JJ and they hate the HC and they hate the players.

Maybe they were fans before Jerry and the coaching carousel came to town.

Personally, I don't care who likes or dislikes Jerry, or Wade for that matter. Doesn't make the slightest difference to me.

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1906625 said:
That is the whole deal. Cowher is a good coach but he did not win SB right off the bat. Our own Tom Landry went through disappointments vs Cleveland, Green Bay and Balt before we ever got to a SB and Dallas fans wanted him gone because he was called a choker whose team could not win the big one. Fortunately we had an owner who stuck by Landry and Cowher had an owner who stuck by him when the masses wanted them gone.
Well, Cowher was 34 when he took the Steelers job, and Tom Landry was 35 when he got the Dallas job. They were young guys, if you apply that logic to Wade, He'll be 70+ years old when he wins the big one.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
iceberg;1906648 said:
1. because it wasn't merely questioning it by many - it was outright hatred on jones AS USUAL from the usual suspects.
2. suddenly jones is a fool to let garrett get away.

people don't even think - they just shout out whatever is happening at the time. 90% of the people only think 10% of the time.

And to think this is your 10%. :eek:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
cowboys3128;1906579 said:
ESPN radio at the top of the hour said, according to Ed Werder, that Garrett is 60-40 to take the job, but Jerry has promised to match any financial offer.
Man, that could get expensive. Imagine if he was getting paid more than our HC is.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Hostile;1906662 said:
Man, that could get expensive. Imagine if he was getting paid more than our HC is.
Let me first say that I really couldn't care less if Garrett goes or stays, but if he stays and is paid higher than the HC, I don't see a single problem at all. Of course, people will freak out about it, regardless.

They signed different contracts at different times in different markets. Just like players. There was a time last year when one of our backup OLBs was making more than our pro bowl QB. It just happens with market for long-term contracts. It doesn't mean one is any more important than the other.

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
5Stars;1906506 said:
Sean Payton thought the grass was greener too! How is that working out?

Oh well, if he goes, he goes...

With turnaround in the NFL what it is, I wouldn't be surprised to see Payton get his second gig in Dallas or Garrett for that matter once his contract expires in Baltimore or he wears out his welcome. I think he should take the job, acquire the experience, and come back home in a few years.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
theogt;1906668 said:
Let me first say that I really couldn't care less if Garrett goes or stays, but if he stays and is paid higher than the HC, I don't see a single problem at all. Of course, people will freak out about it, regardless.

They signed different contracts at different times in different markets. Just like players. There was a time last year when one of our backup OLBs was making more than our pro bowl QB. It just happens with market for long-term contracts. It doesn't mean one is any more important than the other.
People will freak out no matter what. Hell, I firmly believe if this team were in the Patriots shoes right now and won the Super Bowl some here would say, "We completed an undefeated season and won the Super Bowl. What now?"

RxMan

Reaction score
I started a new thread to discuss how Garrett would replace Wade. Sure money is one thing, but how is he assured of becoming a HC here?

superpunk

Reaction score
theogt;1906668 said:

I think for appearance's sake though - if Garrett was paid more than Wade's current contract, Wade would get a bump. Wade is technically Garrett's boss. It's not good sense to have employees making more money than their superiors. Doesn't really apply to players versus coaches, because that's almost like two seperate branches - but within that coaching hierarchy, I think the HC must always have the highest salary.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Dallas;1906645 said:

Seriously, go pull for the Pats like everyone else.

Been a fan of the Dallas Cowboys for much longer then Jerry Jones has owned the team. I didn't think much of JJ when he fired Landry. I didn't think much of JJ when he let Johnson walk away. The two SB's in the middle and the one after made me like him some. lolFor the record, I don't hate JJ or the coach at this point in time. Not to fond of some of the players though.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
superpunk;1906677 said:
I think for appearance's sake though - if Garrett was paid more than Wade's current contract, Wade would get a bump. Wade is technically Garrett's boss. It's not good sense to have employees making more money than their superiors. Doesn't really apply to players versus coaches, because that's almost like two seperate branches - but within that coaching hierarchy, I think the HC must always have the highest salary.
I think it'd be the smart thing to do just so we don't have to hear about it from the idiots on the board and the media. But I don't think it would affect their relationship or their coaching one iota.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Hostile;1906674 said:
People will freak out no matter what. Hell, I firmly believe if this team were in the Patriots shoes right now and won the Super Bowl some here would say, "We completed an undefeated season and won the Super Bowl. What now?"

:laugh2:

"Yeah... we won the SB... but we CANNOT win next year.... did you see.....?" LOL

or

"Yeah we won the SB and went undefeated.... but did you see that game where Reeves and Roy almost lost the game for us?":laugh2: