Twitter: Gary Myers: Nobody would pay Dak $30M on the open market

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I've never heard of Gary Meyers until this thread. :laugh:

At any rate, I see a lot of people that keep saying Jerry will cave. I'm not so sure. If he wanted to cave I think he would have gave in already. Glad he is playing hard ball.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Lack of talent has not really been the problem for the Cowboys.

I've been in San Francisco for work a significant amount of time for the past several months.

The 49er fans that I've met all think the Cowboys had more talent than the 49ers but they think their Head Coach is top 3 while Garrett was a middle school coach at best...

If the contract offer is really 33M, that's about 16.5% of the cap.

When Russell Wilson signed for 35M, that was 18.65 of the 2019 cap.

The 16.5% percent number is right on target for QB contracts going back many years.

The numbers seem really huge to fans now, but as a percent of the salary cap the numbers have been fairly steady for many years.

The % is still important and QBs making that percentage aren’t winning titles.

I’d rather move on from Dak then get ripped off because of the going rate.

We just signed a QB that will get us similar results for chump change.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
There’s a difference between using it as leverage and somebody wanting Dalton to be the full time starter. Which again, is stupid.

I like the Dalton signing as a back up.
Its only stupid if you're a Dak groupie that don't want Dak to be shown as what he truly is. I don't want Dalton as a starter because he's Dak but if he does start there won't be much drop off in getting to 8-8 or 9-7 and we can bet whatever on that.

IslandCowboy

Reaction score

The Jaguars would. The Commanders and Arizona would definitely take a look as well. I'm sure the Raiders would try to find a way to get rid of Derek Carr and bring in Dak as well given his connections there now as well. The thought that no one would pay him $30 mil when you see what Ryan Tannehill got for achieving basically nothing is absurd.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Dak's contract, and the answer to this $30M theory, would already be resolved had the Cowboys used the transition tag.

They are so slow to figure things like this out.

It took them forever to realize that it might be a good idea to get a little leverage in these negotiations.

Dallas never gets ahead of things. They wait for failure and then sometimes they want to see the failure again just to make sure.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
The Jaguars would. The Commanders and Arizona would definitely take a look as well. I'm sure the Raiders would try to find a way to get rid of Derek Carr and bring in Dak as well given his connections there now as well. The thought that no one would pay him $30 mil when you see what Ryan Tannehill got for achieving basically nothing is absurd.

Jags would stick with Minshew. Commanders would see what they have in Haskins. Arizona? What the hell are you talking about? They have Murray. Raiders? Why would they do that when they have a similar QB in Carr who would be making less? What?

The only realistic one there is Jags, but again, why when they could have a potential Dak-type on their hands already?

jjktkk

Reaction score
what did we win?

toaster.png

IslandCowboy

Reaction score
Jags would stick with Minshew. Commanders would see what they have in Haskins. Arizona? What the hell are you talking about? They have Murray. Raiders? Why would they do that when they have a similar QB in Carr who would be making less? What?

The only realistic one there is Jags, but again, why when they could have a potential Dak-type on their hands already?
Just throwing some ideas out there the only one that I think is pretty unrealistic is Arizona, but personally when I watched Murray I thought he looked terrible for most of the season. I think Dak is considerably better than Minshew he has more experience and Minshew also didn't look very good for a solid portion of the season.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Jerry is the only idiot that would give him that deal.

Most teams around the league have their guy under center.

Pats wont sign him

Jags are tanking for Lawerence

Bears wont sign him after trading for Foles and that contract
Oh. Good. Random sports writer from NEW YORK thinks Dak is only a good QB, not worth 30 million. - Dak haters thinks its lock solid evidence.

Hall of Fame QBs Troy Aikman and Roger Staubach - Dak is the man pay him whatever he wants, Dak haters - ehhhh what do they know!!!

That, my friends, is confirmation bias at is most hideous form.
pay him whatever he wants? UNless his name is Patrick Mahomes, you are nuts. I am no Dak Hater, but his contract demands are a joke. I also do not give one damn about his salary over his first 4 years. He made his salary based upon his college years. Its set in stone. Hes just damn lucky Tony got hurt which allowed him to now be in position to get a big contract..... but whatever he wants? cmon If we had no cap, I would be screaming for the Cowboys to get the deal done, but with cap consideration in play.... 35 million is a joke IMO.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Not a Jerruh fan for the most part, but so far he hasn't caved and given Dak that huge contract yet.
Yes that is true, but how do you see this ending?

Jerry is almost 78 years old. He does not want to go through the process of finding another quarterback. He will cave eventually and this fanbase will suffer

jjktkk

Reaction score
Forgot about Bridgewater but not sure Commanders and Giants are convinced they have their QB.
Both the Giants and Commanders' have 2nd year QBs. I would think they would like to try and develop their respective QBs before backing up the Brink's truck for Dak.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

This talks about all the QBs that the writer thinks shouldn’t have got paid $30MM, but they did, so that actually works against the writer’s argument. It proves teams are willing to pay that kind of money.

Of course Wentz and Goff weren’t on the open market either, so he uses Garroppolo’s contract as the standard for Dak, but that ignores the fact that Garoppolo’s contract was 2 years ago, and the fact that $30MM/year contracts weren’t being paid at that time. The market didn’t freeze at that point.

And what about Cousins, who also signed a contract is also 2 years old and was for a larger average annual salary than Garoppolo’s?