Get Ready for Deeuuuuuuuuuce!

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He's 5'5''. But it doesn't matter. He uses his height to his advantage.

Says the guy with Zeke in his avatar.

Sup, Zeke?
I agree. But at some point he will take multiple hits, harder than what he's taken before. Hope he holds up like we think.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Deuce is lighter than any opponent on the field, including CBs and a lot of kickers. And there are matchups where he's also slower than everyone else on the field besides the defensive tackles. The NFL is loaded with starting edge rushers who run in the 4.5s or low 4.6s at 250+ lbs.

When you can't outrun any defenders, and you can't overpower any defenders, you are going to have a hard time rushing at the NFL level.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Deuce is lighter than any opponent on the field, including CBs and a lot of kickers. And there are matchups where he's also slower than everyone else on the field besides the defensive tackles. The NFL is loaded with starting edge rushers who run in the 4.5s or low 4.6s at 250+ lbs.

When you can't outrun any defenders, and you can't overpower any defenders, you are going to have a hard time rushing at the NFL level.
But, but...they wont be able to see him. Cant hit what you cant see.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Deuce Vaughn may be the most hyped player by the fans the Cowboys have ever drafted. Lol No way would you think he was a 6th round pick. It’s been less than two months since he was drafted and I’ve lost track of the threads that have been started drooling over him. He’s been compared to Barry Sanders on this board and one fan claimed he would take Vaughn over a young Emmitt Smith. :facepalm: I’m not saying he’s not going to be a good player but I don’t think he’s going to come remotely close to being the caliber of player some of you think he will be. I’ve seen fans go overboard with players, but nothing like this.
That's the spirit!

:rolleyes:

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree. But at some point he will take multiple hits, harder than what he's taken before. Hope he holds up like we think.
It will be like facing th every best of every team he's ever played. Most big college teams have a 270-300# D-lineman. He'll be crushed under 4-5 of 'em! Every week!

LOL...I hope not. I'm hoping they can't reach low enough to tackle and he's too wiggly to fall on. :)

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
To be fair, if he was able to carry the rock 25-30 times per game in the Big 12 for 3 seasons without major injury, I see no reason why he would not be able to hold up physically in the NFL with 5-10 touches per game. I don't think anyone is expecting him to carry the load at any point in his career.

Honestly, unique players like Deuce are super difficult to project. We will just have to see what the on field product looks like in preseason. Much of his success (or lack thereof) will likely be the result of how the coaching stuff chooses to deploy his unique skillset.

blueblood70

Reaction score
To be used often as a runner in the backfield he’s going have to make a lot of plays. Even with all the big plays Pollard was making it took time for him to get enough carries to satisfy fans. If Vaughn starts jitterbugging around a lot and can’t get past the scrimmage when given an opportunity he won’t get many carries. He’s going to have to pop some runs early on.
so you are saying if he barry sanders like or even at worse Barkley like with all the jitter bugging and TFLS but makes enough other plays its not good enough. LOL you just described many NFL backs in the Cmac or Kamara, barley and one of the greatest in Sanders. kits the law of averages he NEEDS enough carries to be himself that on the coaches ie the same way pollard finally and slowly earned his way into more carries but in some ways held back, now that moores gone, we need coaches to stick with a player and let him get enough snaps to show what he's got. your description would be bad coaching. ie if they pulled Sanders or barley for starting games 6-16 before he got that 40 yard TD they would have never made it..

seeing his college tape should be enough to give coaches confidence in Letting him play through some TFL starts.

Verdict

Reaction score
Ok, but would you say he’s a better prospect than Bijan Robinson?
At this stage, the hype says “no” but NFL history is littered with lower round draft picks who have significantly outperformed their much more hyped counterparts. So it’s clearly not outside the realm of possibility that Deuce might outperform Bijan.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
To be fair, if he was able to carry the rock 25-30 times per game in the Big 12 for 3 seasons without major injury, I see no reason why he would not be able to hold up physically in the NFL with 5-10 touches per game. I don't think anyone is expecting him to carry the load at any point in his career.

Honestly, unique players like Deuce are super difficult to project. We will just have to see what the on field product looks like in preseason. Much of his success (or lack thereof) will likely be the result of how the coaching stuff chooses to deploy his unique skillset.
I can agree with this. Just because hes small doesn't necessarily mean he'll get hurt in the NFL. Ive said it before. Hes a tough kid. I dont deny what he was able to do in college.

I just personally don't see his production translating to the NFL. The jump to the NFL is far, far greater than the jump from high school to college.

Verdict

Reaction score
That’s exactly what being a fan is comparing a 6th round pick to Barry Sanders and several other Hall of Fame backs. Lol You can pull for the guy without putting him up there with those backs. What fans are saying about Vaughn doesn’t bother me, I just find it laughable. I don’t start threads complaining about it I just contribute my opinion. Putting Vaughn in the same conversation with Darren Sproles is realistic. However, fans are putting him in the same conversation with Barry Sanders. Do you think that’s being realistic? You have to admit the hype has gone way overboard.
I can see the comparison between Sanders and Deuce, but I think Sanders had much more wiggle and short area burst.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
so you are saying if he barry sanders like or even at worse Barkley like with all the jitter bugging and TFLS but makes enough other plays its not good enough. LOL you just described many NFL backs in the Cmac or Kamara, barley and one of the greatest in Sanders. kits the law of averages he NEEDS enough carries to be himself that on the coaches ie the same way pollard finally and slowly earned his way into more carries but in some ways held back, now that moores gone, we need coaches to stick with a player and let him get enough snaps to show what he's got. your description would be bad coaching. ie if they pulled Sanders or barley for starting games 6-16 before he got that 40 yard TD they would have never made it..

seeing his college tape should be enough to give coaches confidence in Letting him play through some TFL starts.
He'll get his chance in pre season. Or if he doesnt, then the other guys are just better.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
At this stage, the hype says “no” but NFL history is littered with lower round draft picks who have significantly outperformed their much more hyped counterparts. So it’s clearly not outside the realm of possibility that Deuce might outperform Bijan.
So you're saying theres a chance...

BlindFaith

Reaction score
I can see the comparison between Sanders and Deuce, but I think Sanders had much more wiggle and short area burst.
Sanders was 5'10 210. He ran a 4.4 forty.

The only comparison that could possibly be made is comparing Duece now to Sanders when he was in middle school.

blueblood70

Reaction score
He'll get his chance in pre season. Or if he doesnt, then the other guys are just better.
PS is nice but playing with the actual starting OL and TE in front of you are much better gauge. sorry, that's not the only way to tell if player can play. part of the process, sure but hes a gamer, its obvious. not saying hes a shoe in for greatness but for sure can be Darren Sproles like player if he gets enough carries.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Sanders was 5'10 210. He ran a 4.4 forty.

The only comparison that could possibly be made is comparing Duece now to Sanders when he was in middle school.
Noone truly saying hes sanders but weve seen sanders and barkley have chat ton of TFL start many games they started 6-16 until they broke one they consistently juked and jitterbugged behind the LOS. that the comp hes a lot like that in smaller package..

BlindFaith

Reaction score
PS is nice but playing with the actual starting OL and TE in front of you are much better gauge. sorry, that's not the only way to tell if player can play. part of the process, sure but hes a gamer, its obvious. not saying hes a shoe in for greatness but for sure can be Darren Sproles like player if he gets enough carries.
Sproles had two years, one early with SD and one later with Philly, where he had 93 & 94 carries. Thats right around 6 per game. All his other games he had lower or significantly lower number of carries.

2016, the year he had 94 carries, he averaged a little over 3 receptions per game.

Thats 9 touches per game. And those were the highest totals of his career. Most years significantly less.

He was also the returner. So he got touches there as well.

He was also faster and bigger than Deuce.

Deuce will not beat out Turpin.

It took Sproles a few years to be anything more than a returner.

So you willing to sit Deuce for a few years and have him contribute nothing?

Or do you think Deuce is far better than Sproles and will be given those 9 looks a game his first year. Even though hes not even good enough to be our returner?

You see my dilemma here? Being practical and all. Not getting all googoo over some hype videos.

I said it before. His best chance was to go to a team that needed a returner. Unfortunately, none of them wanted him.

The only team that wanted him was the team who had his dad as a scout.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Noone truly saying hes sanders but weve seen sanders and barkley have chat ton of TFL start many games they started 6-16 until they broke one they consistently juked and jitterbugged behind the LOS. that the comp hes a lot like that in smaller package..
Its funny. Remember the Barry vs Emmitt debates? All those railing against Barry being the better of the two because of all the tfls.

Now, no big deal.

So Barry was actually better than Emmitt the whole time. Who'd a thunk it.