Giants making moves. Cowboys waiting

Sydla

Reaction score
I'm telling ya the iggles are going after Zeke! Mark it down...

I hope the Dolphins go 2-14 next year.

Take two players the Eagles are desperate to get rid of. Help the Eagles create cap space. And for doing that favor for them, they'll also graciously allow them to move up 5 spots in the draft into the Top 10 of the first round.

Now that's some freaking great GM'ing there in Miami.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score

Take two players the Eagles are desperate to get rid of. Help the Eagles create cap space. And for doing that favor for them, they'll also graciously allow them to move up 5 spots in the draft into the Top 10 of the first round.

Yet we wait while JJ is standing in the war room reiterating to the coaches patience is the key to success.

plasticman

Reaction score
It makes more sense to sign contributors at a value price.

The Cowboys greatest flaw in the past when it comes to free agency is the mentality that signing a certain players to a large contract has effectively filled that position.

The issue is twofold:

1. The team is one play away from going right back to where they were before except now they can't afford ti pay another effective player due to the cap hit at that position. They must now rely on that player's minimum wage backup.

2. Now that the player is signed, he is now the designated starter due to the money and the lack of serious competition from the minimum wage backup. There is nobody to push him and make him more competitive. Even the most competitive player must feel pushed by another who wants his job.

Conversely, the backup feels there is no upward mobility, he has no chance of replacing a guy that his team has placed a financial commitment with. His competitive edge is also compromised.

The bottom line is that when you need to "fill a hole" at a specific position then you don't require one player, you require at least two capable of playing at a high level. Large free agent contracts produce an uneven distribution of cap space that makes this highly unlikely.

Plankton

Reaction score

Absolutely horrible decision by the Dolphins. Maxwell is a downgrade from Brent Grimes, who they released. If anything, they shouldn't have given anything other than a conditional seventh.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
round pegs in square holes doesn't equal success

That seems to be the talk of a head coach who has a "system" and only certain players fit and others don't. The reality is if a guy could play you could get the best out of him no matter what if you are a good coach...see bill parcells

Kaiser

Reaction score
BRB, I'm going to search for the link to the thread 365 days ago titled "Eagles making moves, Cowboys waiting".

SPCowboysfan9

Reaction score
Over reacting fans early in free agency = SAME OLD STORY. Over rated free agent class and we don't have a ton of space. They're doing exactly what they should be doing. Waiting as prices drop. Let the Giants overpay to win 8 games..

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
So the Giants and Jags win the off-season by spending tubs full of money. They will still suck when the real season get started.
Geez, some of you guys should learn. Signing FA for big money has never guaranteed success. Please look at all the Deadskins
disasters before spouting off.

Excellent point - only 4 of 44 Free Agents last year made the Pro Bowl - although they can help, even the best players can struggle. The Eagles have completely been blown up twice in the last five years with huge FA acquisitions including Murray, Maxwell and Alonzo last year.

Sometimes I think it's the assimilation into new systems and cultures by veterans who are set in their ways. It was obvious that Demarco did not want to be in Philly and missed Dallas terribly but I don't blame him for taking the money.

Carson

Reaction score
Same story every year for us. Not sure why people expect us to be big spenders.

Likely to sign Adrian clayborn, another low tier guy and a bunch of bodies.

Wolf2k5

Reaction score
Can someone find me a gif or video of the double move dez put down on Jenkins a few years ago vs Rams?

davey999

Reaction score
Are you saying it is because we didn't sign a particular fee agent the 1st week of free agency?

The only point I made was that people always overreact in this early stage.

I'm saying it because I think this organization believes we have top talent, and the evidence proves otherwise.

the_h0wey

Reaction score
:huh:

Not sure the main plan here but we do need to upgrade. Second tier free agents tend to be in their late 20s or 30+. I wouldn't have minded us going after a guy like Jenorius Jenkins but apparently he is signing with the Giants who have now resigned JPP and are getting the huge run stuffer from the Jets. Giants just got a lot better while we might be looking to lock up Nick Hayden on a 1 year deal. If Romo does have 4-5 years left he only has 2-3 good ones and we need to take advantage of them. Now is the time to spend.

They still got that Eli guy at QB right? I don't think the Jenkins signing will pay off for them at all. We will be okay. Be patient