Giants making moves. Cowboys waiting

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The Patriots always build from BOTH the draft and by making free agent signings that fill holes in the roster. As do the Broncos.

Unless you're going to hit on all of your draft picks (and the Cowboys rarely, if ever, do), you have to go out and sign players in free agency.

What big time free agents have the Patriots signed? They do exactly what the Cowboys do. Draft and try and find guys who have yet to hit their potential or guys looking for new starts.

Bronco's on the other hand......they had that one year where they went all in on free agency. I wouldn't advise that. They are more of an exception to the rule. Jaguars and Eagirls and Deadskins have great free agencies every year just to fall flat to not even making the playoffs.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Like the Eagles move for Rodney McLeod. 1oth best safety last year and coming into his own. Not sure what Rams are doing letting him go but one team putting a premium on safety.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
What big time free agents have the Patriots signed? They do exactly what the Cowboys do. Draft and try and find guys who have yet to hit their potential or guys looking for new starts.

Bronco's on the other hand......they had that one year where they went all in on free agency. I wouldn't advise that. They are more of an exception to the rule. Jaguars and Eagirls and Deadskins have great free agencies every year just to fall flat to not even making the playoffs.

Revis and Browner ring a bell? Unless the best CB in the league at that time doesn't count as "big time".

Last edited:

CCBoy

Reaction score
Bluntly, the Giants are putting together defense. If they continue in this progress now, they will dominate a Dallas offense. The offense of the Giants, if they retain Cruz, will just be too much for the Cowboys' defense as it is now projects.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Bingo.

The reality to most, other than the homers, is that this team isn't good enough to just make a tweak here or a tweak there and we can book our tickets for the next SB. This team has real holes and they can't all be filled in this draft (especially given how other than the first round in the last few drafts, the Cowboys really are inconsistent in the other rounds).

It's also a bit bizarre that many of the people preaching patience and don't sign any big name free agents are the same ones complaining about taking a QB at 4 because you have to win NOW with Romo on his last legs. Well if we can't take a QB at 4 because we need to win now, then bargain shopping in free agency doesn't make much sense either.

So you spend money on the Byron Maxwells of the world? If you guys had your way we would've went all in on Byron Maxwell last season. All because "he's better than what we have...".

rocyaice Boss most of us understand you cant spend crazy in FA but when you whiff on 2nd 3rd 4th and 5th round picks you have to make up for it somewhere or your left with terrible depth

Since 2011 our 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks have been Bruce Carter, Demarco Murray,Tyrone Crawford, Terrance Williams, JJ Wilcox, Anthony Hitchens, Gregory.......

There have been some misses of course in there but all of those guys have end up being STARTERS for us at some point. How bad we have been in the 2nd,3rd and 4th rounds has been entirely overblown. We've been terrible in the 5th round. You are correct about that. But i'm not sure how frequent you are suppose to hit on 5th rounders to begin with.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
:huh:

Not sure the main plan here but we do need to upgrade. Second tier free agents tend to be in their late 20s or 30+. I wouldn't have minded us going after a guy like Jenorius Jenkins but apparently he is signing with the Giants who have now resigned JPP and are getting the huge run stuffer from the Jets. Giants just got a lot better while we might be looking to lock up Nick Hayden on a 1 year deal. If Romo does have 4-5 years left he only has 2-3 good ones and we need to take advantage of them. Now is the time to spend.

thranchsucks so no use in trying

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Exactly.

No one is saying the Cowboys should be out there throwing money around like candy today but they also aren't good enough as a team to be shopping around the bargain bin and trying to convince fans they are buying low on undervalued players.

If the Cowboys were serious about fixing the pass rush, they should have been in on Mario Williams, who got a pretty fair contract. Instead, we are shopping around for cheaper options like Adrian Clayborn, who on the surface wouldnt' be a bad depth signing, but then stories come out about how some think he might be a 8-9 sack guy and you wonder if the Cowboys actually view him as a solution to our pass rush.
Mario Williams stunk last year. Goodness....

Sydla

Reaction score
So you spend money on the Byron Maxwells of the world? If you guys had your way we would've went all in on Byron Maxwell last season. All because "he's better than what we have...".

Actually no, I wouldn't have made a move for Maxwell because I suspected he was a product of the Seahawks system and said so on this board.

But despite your protestations, the good teams do selectively hit the big names in free agency. As pointed out, the Patriots have made moves for guys like Revis and Browner in the past. The Packers, who everyone cites for total frugalness, went after Julius Peppers a few years ago when they knew they needed pass rush help outside of Matthews.

The Cowboys aren't even selective in free agency now. They are in full blown bargain shopping mode. Our two biggest free agent signings in 2015 were Greg Hardy and Darren McFadden. They both were the very definition of bargain shopping.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Revis and Browner ring a bell? Unless the best CB in the league at that time doesn't county as "big time".

They signed Revis to one year. Who did they sign for their last 4 other Super Bows? Moss? Fair enough. They won without him as well.

Nobody's not saying sign Revis's or Randy Moss'. I'm talking about overpaying for the Janoris Jenkins and the Mario Williams of the world.

Sydla

Reaction score
Mario Williams stunk last year. Goodness....

The previous 3 years he had 38 sacks. He was a guy that has so much more upside as a pass rusher than say a Chris Long or Adrian Clayborn. But again it's all about bargain shopping and not sticking your neck out even once for a risk here or there unless that risk comes really cheap (read: Greg Hardy).

Sydla

Reaction score
They signed Revis to one year. Who did they sign for their last 4 other Super Bows? Moss? Fair enough. They won without him as well.

Nobody's not saying sign Revis's or Randy Moss'. I'm talking about overpaying for the Janoris Jenkins and the Mario Williams of the world.

Mario Williams didn't get overpaid. He got a fair contract. I'd rather pay him $8MM a year than pay someone like Adrian Clayborn $5MM a year.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Actually no, I wouldn't have made a move for Maxwell because I suspected he was a product of the Seahawks system and said so on this board.

But despite your protestations, the good teams do selectively hit the big names in free agency. As pointed out, the Patriots have made moves for guys like Revis and Browner in the past. The Packers, who everyone cites for total frugalness, went after Julius Peppers a few years ago when they knew they needed pass rush help outside of Matthews.

The Cowboys aren't even selective in free agency now. They are in full blown bargain shopping mode. Our two biggest free agent signings in 2015 were Greg Hardy and Darren McFadden. They both were the very definition of bargain shopping.

Brandon Browner was Maxwell before Maxwell I don't know why you guys keep bringing him up.

And I have no problem with the Revis's of the world being signed by us. But I don't see anyone of the caliber of Darrell REvis out there.

And Greg Hardy was not a bargain basement deal. It was low risk but he was getting paid 1 million per game. Essentially EXACTLY what Revis got for his ONE year with the Pats.

What have the Packers done since signing Peppers?

Let me state that for the record I have NO problem with spending. It just depends on what the talent level is. And i'd much rather sign the Adrian Clayborns of the world as opposed to overpaying for let's say a Janoris Jenkins. I think 8 million for Mario Williams is foolish. You guys say he was in a bad system. With his age....I think that's more of what you should expect from him. His best years are behind him.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Mario Williams didn't get overpaid. He got a fair contract. I'd rather pay him $8MM a year than pay someone like Adrian Clayborn $5MM a year.

That's reckless spending that we would've got on Jerry for doing years ago. Mario Williams was terrible last season.
The previous 3 years he had 38 sacks. He was a guy that has so much more upside as a pass rusher than say a Chris Long or Adrian Clayborn. But again it's all about bargain shopping and not sticking your neck out even once for a risk here or there unless that risk comes really cheap (read: Greg Hardy).

/I'm so confused. How was Greg Hardy cheap?

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

You asked what big time free agents they signed, and I answered you. Not sure why it matters how long the player stayed there for.

The fact is that they have signed players who filled holes in their team and helped them win a Super Bowl.

Not being rude, but your argument doesn't make much sense at all.

I never said I'm supportive of overpaying for any player. You pay a player what he is worth. You can get free agents to sign without overpaying them.

But to play devils advocate-- did we overpay for Deion? Hell yeah. Did the Patriots probably overpay for Revis? Hell yeah.

But the truth of the matter is that as long as that "overpaid" player performs well, and the team succeeds, who really cares?

The Cowboys are not only not overpaying people, they aren't shopping at all. If Romo has a 2-3 year window and we are really as close to a championship and Jerry says we are, you'd think we might be a little more aggressive in this process.

Instead, we settle for Jeff Heath and a bunch of washed-up has beens (or never-will-be's), with Jerry's promise that they are key pieces to the puzzle.

Sydla

Reaction score
Brandon Browner was Maxwell before Maxwell I don't know why you guys keep bringing him up.

And I have no problem with the Revis's of the world being signed by us. But I don't see anyone of the caliber of Darrell REvis out there.

And Greg Hardy was not a bargain basement deal. It was low risk but he was getting paid 1 million per game. Essentially EXACTLY what Revis got for his ONE year with the Pats.

What have the Packers done since signing Peppers?

Let me state that for the record I have NO problem with spending. It just depends on what the talent level is. And i'd much rather sign the Adrian Clayborns of the world as opposed to overpaying for let's say a Janoris Jenkins. I think 8 million for Mario Williams is foolish. You guys say he was in a bad system. With his age....I think that's more of what you should expect from him. His best years are behind him.

Hardy was a bargain deal because Dallas waited until he had no suitors. There was no competition for him. Dallas could basically hand him the deal that they wanted to. If there were more suitors or Hardy didn't have that issue hanging over his head there isn't a chance in hell that the Cowboys would have signed him. He woudl have been too pricey for him.

PS - What have the Packers done since signing Peppers? Be better than us, for starters.

You'd rather pay Clayborn $5MM as opposed to paying Williams $8MM? LOL. Williams is one year removed from having double digit sacks. Clayborn has never sniffed double digit sacks. Shoot, Williams, in a down year, still had more sacks than Clayborn last year.

Sydla

Reaction score
That's reckless spending that we would've got on Jerry for doing years ago. Mario Williams was terrible last season.

/I'm so confused. How was Greg Hardy cheap?

Hardy was cheap relative to his skill set. No team wanted him. Cowboys waited it out, saw no one would touch him with a thirty foot pole and gave him an offer that was totally team friendly. As I said above, if Hardy didn't have a problem in his past, there isn't a chance in the world he'd have played for the Cowboys. He'd have been too expensive and the Cowboys never would have even gotten into a bidding war for him. But when the Cowboys saw no one wanted him, they swooped in with a team friendly deal.

And LOL at thinking paying Mario Williams $8MM a year is reckless spending on a guy "who was terrible last year" but then think it's OK to spend $4-5MM on a guy who was even worse than Williams and doesn't even sniff the track record Williams has had.

davey999

Reaction score
Damon Harrsion going to the Giants as well. Wakey, wakey, Jerry.