Glenn "Stretch" very concerned with Dak accuracy

HungryLion

Reaction score
No, no, we are talking about accuracy stats. We are talking about missing wide open receivers or throwing poor passes to wide open receivers. I'm not inferring anything. I'm saying this happens, lets don't miss understand intent here. I'm not hiding from that at all. I am telling you that I don't care about craptastic QBs or even other teams QBs. I really only care about Dak. I didn't bring up the comparisons to other QBs, other posters did that. I'm was simply commenting on what I saw from Dak last night. So lets get down to it, yes, I see other QBs miss on more difficult throws but I don't see that with wide open receivers much. Most QBs hit wide open receivers. Dak, for whatever reason miss the wide open ones. Really weird. Now, you don't agree with this, that's fine. I know of no stat that tracks this so I can only tell you what I see, unless you have a stat to prove otherwise.

Do you see how claiming Dak misses on “open receivers” more than other QB’s is in fact comparing him to other QB’s?

So again, I’m saying you should care about other QB’s. Because you’re claiming they are doing something better than Dak, despite it being not true.

Dak is #2 in the league in completion percentage over expected. Which factors in pressure, receiver seperation and depth. Which are exactly the factors that determine difficulties of throws.

if Dak misses open receivers more often than most other QB’s. He wouldn’t be #2 in that stat. Period.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
No wonder it takes a "special type" of QB to survive in Dallas.

A player can be...
  1. Top 5 in the NFL in completion percentage (no apples to oranges comparisons due to "era")
  2. Top 3 in the NFL in Yards per Attempt (Tops among the Top 5 completion percentage leaders and not exactly Dinking and Dunking to have a high Comp%)
  3. Be Top 5 to Top 10 in almost, if not, every "advanced" completion percentage stat out there
  4. All while playing on a team that is battling for the league "lead" in the most dropped passes
And yet that player's accuracy and ability to be an NFL caliber QB, let alone a starting one or better, will be questioned on a DAILY basis.

Was Dak "great" against the Giants? No. But he was far better than average playing against a Division Rival that made last nights game out to be a REVENGE game. Make no mistake about it, the MNF game was way more meaningful for the Giants than it was for the Cowboys. Should it have been that way? No, the Cowboys should have came out playing with more fire. But it happens.

Seriously, with THIS fan base, the only positive to be the Cowboys QB is the money. And I suspect, even if a QB win a Super Bowl or two, I could easily see the FANS trying to run that guy out of town if he does not make deep playoff runs a couple of years in a row, even if it was not his fault (ie injuries, poor defense, other player turnovers, ect...).

All I have left to say is that I hope some of you hold yourselves to the same "near perfect" expectations in your own lives.

Exactly. You have to be much, much better in Dallas.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I think it's valid but again, I'm going to rewatch the game. When you say "Credit as the QB of this team", what do you refer to ? I mean, he is the QB of the team. I don't really see anybody questioning that. He still suffers from inaccuracy. If you want to say that what he's doing is good enough, that's fine but we aren't beating guys in the playoffs and winning a championship if we don't improve in that area. That's just the truth of it but we can watch and see as the season goes on.

IF you go to the 3 losses, was it Dak's accuracy the problem? Or was it the drops?

Dak still makes dumb throws, but theyre very few. Lastnight that first throw was very dumb. Bethea was right in the passing lane and Dak throught he could throw it past him easy INT. You could see this in the replay. Bethea was just sitting there waiting because he was the spy on Dak.

But twice lastnight and repeatedly over the course of the yr Dak will read the defense and kill the play. The result 90% of the time is successful. And alot of the time its a big play. I think alot of people micro analyze Dak just because he's the QB for the team they hate. And for Cowboys fans alot of them do it because he's not the QB they wanted as 99.9% of them wanted Wentz or Goff.

Dak is playing very good football, and is very accurate.

8th in yrds but 5 of these players above him have played 9 games, so game avg is a better stat to go by
5th in yrds per game

They say he's not accurate
he's 5th in %comp

Then they'll say but he's dinking and dunking
He's 3th in the NFL at 8.7 yrds per att

No QB plays a perfect game, but people expect this from Dak.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
No wonder it takes a "special type" of QB to survive in Dallas.

A player can be...
  1. Top 5 in the NFL in completion percentage (no apples to oranges comparisons due to "era")
  2. Top 3 in the NFL in Yards per Attempt (Tops among the Top 5 completion percentage leaders and not exactly Dinking and Dunking to have a high Comp%)
  3. Be Top 5 to Top 10 in almost, if not, every "advanced" completion percentage stat out there
  4. All while playing on a team that is battling for the league "lead" in the most dropped passes
And yet that player's accuracy and ability to be an NFL caliber QB, let alone a starting one or better, will be questioned on a DAILY basis.

Was Dak "great" against the Giants? No. But he was far better than average playing against a Division Rival that made last nights game out to be a REVENGE game. Make no mistake about it, the MNF game was way more meaningful for the Giants than it was for the Cowboys. Should it have been that way? No, the Cowboys should have came out playing with more fire. But it happens.

Seriously, with THIS fan base, the only positive to be the Cowboys QB is the money. And I suspect, even if a QB win a Super Bowl or two, I could easily see the FANS trying to run that guy out of town if he does not make deep playoff runs a couple of years in a row, even if it was not his fault (ie injuries, poor defense, other player turnovers, ect...).

All I have left to say is that I hope some of you hold yourselves to the same "near perfect" expectations in your own lives.

Exactly. You have to be much, much better in Dallas.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
IF you go to the 3 losses, was it Dak's accuracy the problem? Or was it the drops?

Dak still makes dumb throws, but theyre very few. Lastnight that first throw was very dumb. Bethea was right in the passing lane and Dak throught he could throw it past him easy INT. You could see this in the replay. Bethea was just sitting there waiting because he was the spy on Dak.

But twice lastnight and repeatedly over the course of the yr Dak will read the defense and kill the play. The result 90% of the time is successful. And alot of the time its a big play. I think alot of people micro analyze Dak just because he's the QB for the team they hate. And for Cowboys fans alot of them do it because he's not the QB they wanted as 99.9% of them wanted Wentz or Goff.

8th in yrds but 5 of these players above him have played 9 games, so game avg is a better stat to go by
5th in yrds per game

he's 5th in %comp

I don't think is true Latin. I mean, there is always a percentage that calls him out even when he plays well. There is a certain percentage that claims he's flawless even when it's clear he is not. Last night was not a good night for him IMO. That's a fair assessment for him IMO.

BHendri5

Reaction score
Highlights from Podcast:

* Dak feet & accuracy were not good. Missing alot of throws on field. Not seeing safety on 1st throw of game is a concern. Thinks contract situation has to be effecting him because he is not playing clean games.

* Connor Williams is improving each week.

* WR edge blocking is big part of running game success.

* Strength of team is running game & OL.

* Dallas didn't miss beat when Health left game due to injury. Thompson played physical.

* Byron Jones lacks the ball skills necessary to make play on ball.

* DL was dominant.

Don't post anymore of what that idiot say in here. He don't know WTH he is talking about

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Do you see how claiming Dak misses on “open receivers” more than other QB’s is in fact comparing him to other QB’s?

So again, I’m saying you should care about other QB’s. Because you’re claiming they are doing something better than Dak, despite it being not true.

Dak is #2 in the league in completion percentage over expected. Which factors in pressure, receiver seperation and depth. Which are exactly the factors that determine difficulties of throws.

if Dak misses open receivers more often than most other QB’s. He wouldn’t be #2 in that stat. Period.

Sure, but I didn't bring up other QBs into the discussion. You did that. I just made the statement that he seems to miss open receivers a lot more then he should. I don't care about other QBs and I don't care if you think I should. I would prefer to just discuss Dak because he's our QB. However, I also know that this never happen on this board. You are proof of that. Look at this thread, you can't just discuss Dak or even just last nights game. Can't happen..

HungryLion

Reaction score
Sure, but I didn't bring up other QBs into the discussion. You did that. I just made the statement that he seems to miss open receivers a lot more then he should. I don't care about other QBs and I don't care if you think I should. I would prefer to just discuss Dak because he's our QB. However, I also know that this never happen on this board. You are proof of that. Look at this thread, you can't just discuss Dak or even just last nights game. Can't happen..

You did bring up other QB’s. You said,

“Yes, other QBs miss but they miss on tough throws, more time then not. Dak, for whatever reason, misses easy open throws.“

That’s a direct quote. And you said that before I ever responded to you.

So, you did in fact, bring other QB’s into the conversation and make a comparison.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Throwing an INT on their very first pass would rattle a lot of QBs but not Dak. He settled down and had a good game. He had a 101.1 passer rating and 3 TDs. You find out what a QB is really made of when things aren’t going well early. If some of you are expecting perfection with every throw you’re not going to get it from him or any other QB. Mistakes are going to happen and Dak overcame his. His accuracy has improved.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

5th in yrds per game

he's 5th in %comp

Oh, it's both last night but Dak had far from his best game. Dak clearly missed throws last night and he missed reads. The WRs were not perfect either. There were some balls dropped that should have been caught but if we want to talk about the WRs, that should really be it's own thread IMO.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
You wanna talk about NFL numbers, well, he's tied for 5th in INTs. That's a step back for sure.

Are you accounting for the 3 tip ints Cobb has and the 1 Amari has? Not all INTs are the QBs fault. The same is true for every other QB.

A few weeks ago dc.com had their mic'd up video and it had Dak telling amari not to rush the route because it'll be there all night. Amari agreed. Later in the same video You see Witten talking to either Schultz or Jarwin cant remember who telling him he has to get out on that route because the ball is there where its supposed to be. The Gb game. These are 2 of the 3 ints in that game and it brings the plays in question into context. As we as fan see the play and say Dak threw the ball behind Amari when in actuality Cooper rushed the route and Dak threw the ball to where the timing of the play should've been. And the other int in question Witten is there defending Dak and basically telling the TE he needs to get to the spot where he's supposed to be.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Cooper was 4 of 7 and Gallop was 2 of 6. This is where my concern is. We had a strong run game and his passing is made to look better because Witten caught 8 of 9 and Cobb caught 6 of 8 passes both averaged less than 10 yards a catch. Dak's pass to Cooper on that slant for a TD was great to see, great play call and better execution on both their parts. Cooper is dropping too many passes that a #1 receiver should catch and Gallop needs a ton of work to get in sync with Dak.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Perhaps you should care about other QB’s. If you did you would realize he misses “easy” throws no more often than the large majority of QB’s in the NFL.

If you’re not going to compare Dak to other QB’s. It makes it easy to find faults with his throws.

Why? See, this is the problem. You look at Dak and your major concern is justifying him against the rest of the league. I look at Dak and ask myself, is this guy good enough to win a Championship and what about his game is holding him back? That is why I could care less about comparing him to the rest of the league. If I really, really wanted to do that, I could but why? None of the QBs discussed would play for us so they aren't going to win us anything so what's the point?

That stuff is a waste of time.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Why? See, this is the problem. You look at Dak and your major concern is justifying him against the rest of the league. I look at Dak and ask myself, is this guy good enough to win a Championship and what about his game is holding him back? That is why I could care less about comparing him to the rest of the league. If I really, really wanted to do that, I could but why? None of the QBs discussed would play for us so they aren't going to win us anything so what's the point?

Assessing a player in a vacuum without at least factoring in how they compare to other QB’s in the league, is also a waste of time.

and again. You are the one who compared him to other QB’s first and I was responding to that. Yet, you are now trying to claim that I am the one who is obsessed with making the comparison.

You made the comparison first.

You have to factor in how other QB’s compare to your QB. If you don’t, and you just see your own QB’s mistakes. You try to judge if you can win a Super Bowl or not. Well how can you make that judgment without knowing what else is out there at the position?

Most evaluations and judgments are made off of benchmarks. Made from points they can be compared to.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Then YOU will never be happy with any QB that wears a Cowboys uniform.

And that is a YOU problem, not a Dallas QB problem.

Your story you tell it but I've been a Cowboy Fan for a long time and this is exactly how it is in Dallas. You read into things a lot. I never said that this was my way, or anything other then to say that what the earlier poster posted is exactly correct.

Terrible.........

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score

Do you think this team could win a championship with him?

tyke1doe

Reaction score
The Giants game is not the game you judge Dak on. The next four games and, basically, the remaining stretch is where Dak will make his money and prove himself. The Vikings, the Pats, the Lions and the Bills. Then we got the Bears, the Commanders, the Eagles and the Rams.
As hard as I've been on him, I'm pulling for him. I think he's a hard worker, a leader and wants to get better. But he's being measured by Cowboys quarterback standards. To the Super Bowl or bust.