Golden Tate - 4.36 Jordan Shipley - 4.57

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Silverstar;3290527 said:
Really?

Cuz, I thought it tested how to catch a football and throw it away, then catch another one as quick as possible from opposite directions, while running in a straight line.

Yes, and that takes concentration and focus, especially if you miss or drop one, can you get your focus back and get the next one? There aren't very many "under duress" tests at the combine since there is no contact, so this is as close as you'll get to putting a receiver under pressure.

Silverstar

Reaction score
Cover 2;3290547 said:
What other drill would? It's easy to cleanly catch it in your hands if you have time to get ready for it. When you're constantly having to catch them one after the other if you don't have great hands it will show.

Since the players don't face off against live competition at the Combine this is the best way to do it IMO.

k done eating...yum. :)

Alright, ever hear of an "out-route"?

You run up the seam, the ball is already in the air, you cut towards the sideline, turn and find the ball, catch it and then keep both feet in bounds.

This drill shows me more about body control, hands and concentration than the gauntlet.

When do you ever catch a ball one after the other?

How bout never!

Makes no sense to me and Mayock admits that coaches don't like it.

DFWJC

Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;3290568 said:
black guy of course
lol
Oh boy, here we go again.
Slate...ya killin' me with this racial stuff.:laugh2:

DFWJC

Reaction score
CATCH17;3290202 said:
I thought Shipley was always considered 4.4 guy at best.
A 4.6 (or 4.57..whichever was right) is a disappointment to some though. I always like seeing the receivers in the real drills because that's more the game of football. But if some said Shipley had great speed--and he was being touted as a possible return guy too--that time has to hurt him some.

The hands and route-running drills are big though. I recall Eddie Royal a couple fo years ago just looking outstanding. I'm thinking his spped was only so-so too, but I'm not sure.

Cover 2

Pessimists Unite!!!
Reaction score
Silverstar;3290668 said:
k done eating...yum. :)

Alright, ever hear of an "out-route"?

You run up the seam, the ball is already in the air, you cut towards the sideline, turn and find the ball, catch it and then keep both feet in bounds.

This drill shows me more about body control, hands and concentration than the gauntlet.

When do you ever catch a ball one after the other?

How bout never!

Makes no sense to me and Mayock admits that coaches don't like it.
Yes I have heard of an out route...

What the gauntlet does that running an "out-route" doesn't is force one to catch under duress. Look, I agree that there are better ways to pull off what they're trying to do than the gauntlet, but those would involve contact. Catching a single pass with no one on you is much easier than catching ten thrown at you in succession.

I'm not saying it's a perfect drill, but I think it best shows whether someone catches with their hands or body (besides game film that is).

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
SDogo;3290548 said:
Actually I have never had any interest in drafting Shipley but yeah I can see how you could come to that conclusion.

Again, I just dont find any humor in this. Never have and racial profiling is something I have no tolerance for so when I see it, I speak about it and I apologize to anyone who innocently gets caught up in it.

I'm sure there is something everyone here has no tolerance for that may not seem like a big deal to others.

On a side note, what was it like to be fast? lol

How old are you?

Im 24 and usually when someone brings up your whiteness as a receiver, RB, Runner, or guard Guard in basketball than 99.9% of the time it is nothing but a compliment.

I've never seen anyone get offended by someone saying this except in the message board world.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;3290883 said:
The 4.57 didn't give it away, Mr. Weave?
Now now, look at the big guy Gerhart out running McCluster.
But yeah, I'd have to say the 4.57 is fairly slow...more like Clayton than some thought possibly.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
DFWJC;3290914 said:
But yeah, I'd have to say the 4.57 is fairly slow...more like Clayton than some thought possibly.

McCluster ran that slow because he wants to be a Cowboy.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
CATCH17;3290894 said:
How old are you?

Im 24 and usually when someone brings up your whiteness as a receiver, RB, Runner, or guard Guard in basketball than 99.9% of the time it is nothing but a compliment.

I've never seen anyone get offended by someone saying this except in the message board world.

Old enough to have been around the block and been raised dirt poor and seen things I would hope you never you would have to see. Old enough to remember what racial profiling can do and seen how it can start out as fly by comment but cost people their lives.

Again, I'm not going to speak on it anymore. Everyone stands by their morals not matter how big or small another person views them. I;m sorry if I cant conform to your ability to see this as any kind of a joke or compliment.

Reaction score
Vintage;3290922 said:
McCluster ran that slow because he wants to be a Cowboy.

lmao, in all seriousness im pretty sure he stumbled out of the gates, which cost him at least a tenth of a second.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
AustnIsMySaviour;3290930 said:
lmao, in all seriousness im pretty sure he stumbled out of the gates, which cost him at least a tenth of a second.

He ran more than one 40 in the mid 4.5's.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
DFWJC;3290914 said:

We'd be better off just continuing the development of Ogletree.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;3290937 said:
We'd be better off just continuing the development of Ogletree.

That I'm not going to argue with. I think Dallas has something is Tree and I would hope any selection of a WR would be to help his growth and not replace his production.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
SDogo;3290942 said:
That I'm not going to argue with. I think Dallas has something is Tree and I would hope any selection of a WR would be to help his growth and not replace his production.

About the same size. Wiggle. And although his college production didn't show it, Tree is a pretty sophisticated wide-out for how inexperienced he is.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
AustnIsMySaviour;3290944 said:
really ? w.e lol he looked good in the highlight tapes, much faster then a 4.5

I agree he is fast. I've seen a lot of ultra fast guys run 4.5's.

Jacoby Ford just got a lot more interesting after dropping his 4.2

Hes a legit football player.