Good bye Cowboys and NFL as a whole

Fritsch_the_cat

Reaction score
Amen. It is sucking the joy out of watching the game. It will have heavy long term consequences if the NFL and the owners do not step in and ban this and ALL forms of protest. That is the only answer. I really hope they wake up..its the worst kind of negative exposure.

A lot of the fun had already left the game for me. I don't really celebrate touchdowns or big plays anymore because first thing I do is look for flags and wonder if instant replay will over turn it. This crap just adds to it.

cml750

Reaction score
I did not have a major issue with they way the Cowboys handled it. Since they did stand during the anthem I give them a pass. I fully respect the right of the people giving up the game due to this. I was prepared to do it myself had they taken a knee during the actual anthem. I think it was silly to kneel before the anthem but of course I think the whole thing is stupid , silly, and pointless. We will never get to a truly colorblind society when all we hear about is race. The players(and owners) can make their statements but should be prepared for the backlash. I have more than a few fans I know who said they were through with it all today.

@Reality and @Idgit I do not know how much the work the mods have had to do during this but commend the staff for letting these discussion happen. This is a really emotional topic on both sides.

thisiscowboyscountry

Reaction score
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, which is what makes America great. Though I don't believe politics has a place in sports, I have no issue with how the Cowboys handled their symbol of unity. They did it while still respecting the flag and national anthem. Other teams and players should too seek more constructive ways of demonstrating their views and unite rather than polarize the nation.

TWOK11

Reaction score
Can I ask you a serious question? What do you do to help or even understand the plight of Black Americans or any minority for that matter? I ask because people are so quick to point out the "distraction" that this is causing and want people to do something, not talk about something. Do you believe their is even an issue at all?

The issue they are protesting is largely a media fabrication.

However, there are certainly challenges facing AA in this country today. As for me, I do what I can. Outside of hospital responsibilities I volunteer at a free clinic and see patients, almost entirely AA, and help them get healthcare they can't get elsewhere.

vaturkey

Reaction score
FWIW, I hate polls. However, 37% of American's polled per CBS believe that no one should knell during the National Anthem. That's a crapload of folks nation wide. Some restaurants are no longer showing the games in protest of what's going on. Heck Pittsburg Steeler fans are burning their jerseys after what they did on Sunday. This will continue to get uglier.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Interesting. I was the product of a mixed, White-Black, marriage. Human concepts of happiness are all the same.

I would never tell you what you feel as I'd have no clue about it. That's the point, yet other feel the need to tell everyone how they should feel, and if not talk **** and degrade those who are expressing whatever fight they're dealing with. Sad

TWOK11

Reaction score
What plights might those be?

I don't pretend that there aren't unique challenges facing black people in this country. For example, statistically black people serve longer prison sentences for equivalent convictions compared to whites. Black people are less likely to be chosen for jobs given equivalent qualifications compared to whites. Black people are significantly more likely to receive HOA violations than their white neighbors.

I'm just saying that, statistically, blacks aren't being gunned down in exponentially higher numbers as the media tells us.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
FWIW, I hate polls. However, 37% of American's polled per CBS believe that no one should knell during the National Anthem. That's a crapload of folks nation wide. Some restaurants are no longer showing the games in protest of what's going on. Heck Pittsburg Steeler fans are burning their jerseys after what they did on Sunday. This will continue to get uglier.

Yet the exact reason why they are doing what they're doing is because of morons like that Fire Cheif in PA and what he said about Tomlin... exactly the reason, don't play by my rules screw you <insert racial name>

It's a total joke and those people can't see the irony in it

Philmonroe

Reaction score
This doesn't happen all that often, I believe in the last two years, only 100 unarmed blacks have been shot - a few of them were in confrontation with police while I believe 3-4 had fake guns.

It's simply an overblown issue.

The issue is with people thinking "unarmed" = not a threat. Not how it works. We saw just a few days ago a 28 year old get gunned down, unarmed, but he was certainly a threat.
Who said it happened all the time and who mentioned race? Heck I said it wasn't about racism smh. I worked with a white lady whose unarmed nephew got killed by a cop and he got off. I posted what I posted if you can't see clearly on your screen just ask for clarification don't assume. It's overblown to you but that doesn't equal its overblown. I also think like most people talking this isn't an issue that hits anywhere close to home so it's also easier to say it's overblown when that's the case. I don't fault you that's natural.

I also posted that clear cases of police wrong doing my man not ones where we can't tell what really happened. Are you actually reading or just skimming through what I posted.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
I did not have a major issue with they way the Cowboys handled it. Since they did stand during the anthem I give them a pass. I fully respect the right of the people giving up the game due to this. I was prepared to do it myself had they taken a knee during the actual anthem. I think it was silly to kneel before the anthem but of course I think the whole thing is stupid , silly, and pointless. We will never get to a truly colorblind society when all we hear about is race. The players(and owners) can make their statements but should be prepared for the backlash. I have more than a few fans I know who said they were through with it all today.

@Reality and @Idgit I do not know how much the work the mods have had to do during this but commend the staff for letting these discussion happen. This is a really emotional topic on both sides.
We will never get bold because truth is people will always be bias forever and always discount others views on all sides. This if we don't talk about it and it will get better please. I rather we not talk about it because it will never change and the only thing I want is tolerance not acceptance but even that seems to be hard for people. Everybody has to grandstand and that make everybody look strange to me. It's a lot of things I don't agree with but if it isn't messing with my family or money I let it go for the most part. Now can we get everybody on that page that's the question?

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Who said it happened all the time and who mentioned race? Heck I said it wasn't about racism smh. I worked with a white lady whose unarmed nephew got killed by a cop and he got off. I posted what I posted if you can't see clearly on your screen just ask for clarification don't assume. It's overblown to you but that doesn't equal its overblown. I also think like most people talking this isn't an issue that hits anywhere close to home so it's also easier to say it's overblown when that's the case. I don't fault you that's natural.

I also posted that clear cases of police wrong doing my man not ones where we can't tell what really happened. Are you actually reading or just skimming through what I posted.

Of course it's going to happen - we have a million police and 13 million blacks, it will happen. The issue is when it is made out to be a epidemic. When you look at confrontations, police seem to do quite a good job.

It's simply not a great issue to devote this much time on. Doesn't mean it should be COMPLETELY ignored, when seen a cop doing wrong, obviously it should be called out.

Also, it's either overblown or it's not. Personal opinion doesn't matter, I'm going strictly by statistics. It simply isn't as big of an issue as media has pushed.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Of course it's going to happen - we have a million police and 13 million blacks, it will happen. The issue is when it is made out to be a epidemic. When you look at confrontations, police seem to do quite a good job.

It's simply not a great issue to devote this much time on. Doesn't mean it should be COMPLETELY ignored, when seen a cop doing wrong, obviously it should be called out.

Also, it's either overblown or it's not. Personal opinion doesn't matter, I'm going strictly by statistics. It simply isn't as big of an issue as media has pushed.
K

TheFinisher

Reaction score

How many cases a year do you think happen like the one you mention above? A clear case where the police just blindly opened fire for no justifiable reason? Keep in mind you keep using the term "unarmed" as if that is equivalent to "no threat". It's not.

TheFinisher

Reaction score

Anyone with a brain can figure out for themselves it's overblown. It's literally there in statistics that are available to all.

You know what else is there in statistics? 6% of our population responsible for 40-50% of violent crime. You want change? Change that.

But no one wants to talk about that because it's not fun. It's much more fun to point at racist cops as tormentors of POC.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I don't know you. I do know my Dad and dozens of guys he served with.
So you made a blanket statement about combat vets, but now you have to move the goalpost a little further to only "those you know" to make your comment work? I'm pretty sure Tillman's wife knew Tillman so if having a personal relationship with a person works for you to speak for your Dad then let's not have a double standard by dismissing Tillman's wife speaking for him.