Good bye Cowboys and NFL as a whole

TheFinisher

Reaction score
Crime is a result of poverty. Poverty is a result of lack of opportunity. Lack of opportunity is the result of lack of education. Lack of education is the result of poverty.

We should have to explain this in 2017.

Yet we feel the need to protest racist cops instead of actually addressing issues you listed.

Makes sense...

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Football is one place where skin color doesn't matter and ability and skills do. Is it really hard to separate issues of race inequality from sports? We've all got full lives outside of our enjoyment of watching this game. Does the fact that genuine unfairness on issues of race still exists in the US mean it has to permeate every discussion in every walk of life? I don't think so. It ought to be ok to both feel strongly about something and to not talk about it in the context of sports, or entertainment, or exercise, or whatever.

And that goes for any number of important issues that I care deeply about outside of football that I also don't want bleeing into the NFL.
Idgit, what are your honest thoughts about the NFL pushing other issues that aren't sports related like domestic violence and breast cancer awareness? Just want to know where the line is on non sports issues.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Idgit, what are your honest thoughts about the NFL pushing other issues that aren't sports related like domestic violence and breast cancer awareness? Just want to know where the line is on non sports issues.

I think the NFL is way past the line when it come to social advocacy in general. It's one thing to adopt the breast cancer awareness thing because you're trying to build a female audience (and let's be honest, that's a large reason why that was done). All this stuff they're doing now is a distraction from their product. Their product is football entertainment, period. Now, instead of a national sport, we've got years of bad press clippings about DV trials, long after the authorities have dismissed the charges as unfounded. We've got a raging race debate somehow. We've got the best players on good teams suspended for large parts of the season, effecting the outcomes of whole seasons. Locker rooms like PIT are becoming divided over the social issues. I'm sure the league loves the publicity and attention in the short run. Why wouldn't they? Think how good it will be for them when it comes time for the Superbowl winner to go to the White House next time.

But it's bad for the game, it's bad for the players, and I think it's bad for the country to see this sort of division played out publicly only to be tied to the presidents already-sketchy record on race issues. If good were going to come of it, I'd feel differently. But it only ends with people being more entrenched and people on both sides feeling offended by the process.

You can probably guess that I've got a fairly active set of political principles. I try not to engage that stuff on the site here, but I have strong feelings about it. I just want those feelings separate from my pastimes. Politics isn't fun, for me. I think it's a bad thing to engage in political debate the way I engage in football debates. I'm sick about where things are at, generally, these days, for so many reasons. And I hate that instead of addressing it, we're getting into these embarrassing public theatrics that don't help and either distract from the real issues or make things worse for everybody, I've got posters I like suggesting not so subtly that I've got a racist diversionary agenda for example. I mean, ***?

This **** is taking some of the enjoyment out of the early season for me.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
I think the NFL is way past the line when it come to social advocacy in general. It's one thing to adopt the breast cancer awareness thing because you're trying to build a female audience (and let's be honest, that's a large reason why that was done). All this stuff they're doing now is a distraction from their product. Their product is football entertainment, period. Now, instead of a national sport, we've got years of bad press clippings about DV trials, long after the authorities have dismissed the charges as unfounded. We've got a raging race debate somehow. We've got the best players on good teams suspended for large parts of the season, effecting the outcomes of whole seasons. Locker rooms like PIT are becoming divided over the social issues. I'm sure the league loves the publicity and attention in the short run. Why wouldn't they? Think how good it will be for them when it comes time for the Superbowl winner to go to the White House next time.

But it's bad for the game, it's bad for the players, and I think it's bad for the country to see this sort of division played out publicly only to be tied to the presidents already-sketchy record on race issues. If good were going to come of it, I'd feel differently. But it only ends with people being more entrenched and people on both sides feeling offended by the process.

You can probably guess that I've got a fairly active set of political principles. I try not to engage that stuff on the site here, but I have strong feelings about it. I just want those feelings separate from my pastimes. Politics isn't fun, for me. I think it's a bad thing to engage in political debate the way I engage in football debates. I'm sick about where things are at, generally, these days, for so many reasons. And I hate that instead of addressing it, we're getting into these embarrassing public theatrics that don't help and either distract from the real issues or make things worse for everybody, I've got posters I like suggesting not so subtly that I've got a racist diversionary agenda for example. I mean, ***?

Thanks for your response. I largely agree with all of that. Not about the you being racist thing though, lol. It must be hard being a moderator where you have strong opinions and you want to address something someone posted, but have to force yourself not to, as to not conflict with board rules. I applaud you.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Yet we feel the need to protest racist cops instead of actually addressing issues you listed.

Makes sense...
Wouldnt be no need to do such if they just golden rule police interactions like they do the avg person. It's not about racist cops for me at least but just doing simple things right. I know cops have a hard job but you can't be killing unarmed people and the perception be that nothing is going to happen. There is always going to be problems but this one seem fairly easy to stop when the facts are there. I'm not speaking on cases where there might have been actual reason deadly force was used.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Sure, every group kills their own more than others.

But the fact of the matter is 6% of the population (black males) are responsible for 40-50% of violent crimes. Mostly kids from 14-21 to boot. Killing each other.

It's hard to ignore when every major inner city has been turned into a war zone. Come take a walk through the Wards here in New Orleans and tell me again how inner city violence doesn't cripple black communities.

If you claim to seek social justice and choose to ignore how crime has devestated black America and don't see that as something that needs fixing, then what is there to talk about?

It's a disgrace that the same people who champion black lives matter don't give a DAMN about what's actually taking thousands of young black male lives.
Lack of of income crippled anywhere my man. I don't know what the expletive you're talking about social justice nothing about me says such. When I claim social justice tell me about it but don't make up some narrative that I didn't even mention. Who is champion black lives matter? I think you've been on your other website commenting with an echo chamber of bias folks

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Wouldnt be no need to do such if they just golden rule police interactions like they do the avg person. It's not about racist cops for me at least but just doing simple things right. I know cops have a hard job but you can't be killing unarmed people and the perception be that nothing is going to happen. There is always going to be problems but this one seem fairly easy to stop when the facts are there. I'm not speaking on cases where there might have been actual reason deadly force was used.

This doesn't happen all that often, I believe in the last two years, only 100 unarmed blacks have been shot - a few of them were in confrontation with police while I believe 3-4 had fake guns.

It's simply an overblown issue.

The issue is with people thinking "unarmed" = not a threat. Not how it works. We saw just a few days ago a 28 year old get gunned down, unarmed, but he was certainly a threat.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thanks for your response. I largely agree with all of that. Not about the you being racist thing though, lol. It must be hard being a moderator where you have strong opinions and you want to address something someone posted, but have to force yourself not to, as to not conflict with board rules. I applaud you.

By and large, I have it pretty good around here, so I'm not complaining. But with weeks like this one, the temptation to get into the nitty gritty of the topics is high. Even just keeping those conversations on the forum is pretty tough, though. It's an emotionally charged topic, and people get worked up. We try to clean it up and bump people who are really worked up out of the hot topics, but it's not easy because it's getting discussed in just about every thread at some point.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score

I agree with everything you just said. Football is supposed to be fun and all of this put together is just draining the fun of it out for me. Man I remember back in the 70's, 80's and 90's. The fall was all about the NFL. I'd spend all day Sunday watching game after game. I've barely watched any of the games that don't involved the Cowboys this year. I'm just tired of it all. And I don't like talking politics because it does get personal. Nobody's changing anybody's mind so I never see the point. All it leads to is hard feelings.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Can his Tillman's wife speak for him? She's made it clear she supports the protesters right to do as they are doing and Tillman fought for that right.
She really can't speak for him. I wouldn't want my woman speaking for me. It's her opinion but I don't believe he would kneel for the anthem. My Dad was in the service for 33 years. Those guys, especially the ones that have been in combat, take the flag and anthem very seriously. My opinion is thay he would do what the Cowboys did. Protest without disrespecting the country and military.

I thought the Cowboys were brilliant. They acknowledged that there is an issue but they didn't disrespect anyone.

haleyrules

Reaction score
She really can't speak for him. I wouldn't want my woman speaking for me. It's her opinion but I don't believe he would kneel for the anthem. My Dad was in the service for 33 years. Those guys, especially the ones that have been in combat, take the flag and anthem very seriously. My opinion is thay he would do what the Cowboys did. Protest without disrespecting the country and military.

I thought the Cowboys were brilliant. They acknowledged that there is an issue but they didn't disrespect anyone.
Agreed. I don't yet understand what they really believe they are protesting. These boys are only, maybe through ignorance, making the divisions and animosity worse. It is not helpful. Send a message of respect and healing not division and hate.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score

My Dad's a Baltimore Raven fan. He's done with the league after Sunday. He didn't watch it much last year either when this all started. My Dad was in the service for 20 years and is a Vietnam Vet. Nobody speaks for everybody.

haleyrules

Reaction score
I agree with everything you just said. Football is supposed to be fun and all of this put together is just draining the fun of it out for me. Man I remember back in the 70's, 80's and 90's. The fall was all about the NFL. I'd spend all day Sunday watching game after game. I've barely watched any of the games that don't involved the Cowboys this year. I'm just tired of it all. And I don't like talking politics because it does get personal. Nobody's changing anybody's mind so I never see the point. All it leads to is hard feelings.
Amen. It is sucking the joy out of watching the game. It will have heavy long term consequences if the NFL and the owners do not step in and ban this and ALL forms of protest. That is the only answer. I really hope they wake up..its the worst kind of negative exposure.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score

I'm one of those guys but you refuse to listen to me and Tillman's wife so how rational do you think you are coming across?

mattjames2010

Reaction score
My Dad's a Baltimore Raven fan. He's done with the league after Sunday. He didn't watch it much last year either when this all started. My Dad was in the service for 20 years and is a Vietnam Vet. Nobody speaks for everybody.

I just brought this up earlier - it gets worse when people start speaking for the dead as well. I don't care if it's family, there is a point where digging up someone and using them as a prop in an agenda just gets extremely disrespectful.

This goes for BOTH sides, not just one.

EST_1986

Reaction score
Thats dead on, everyone is making generalization for certain groups of people, whether its Vets, Military, Liberals, Conservative. Everyone has their own opinion on the subject. I just want football to be about football, all this protest, I'm for but if I had it my way all of it would be out of my Sunday Morning, Monday Night. Thursday night football sucks so if theres a place for it, its there.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Is that 1st degree murder these cops are committing? :rolleyes:

Black athletes complaining about police brutality and injustice.. yet more whites are shot by cops each year than black people!

The cop out is ignoring the gang violence problem in inner cities. The media ignores the 30 shootings in Chicago over a weekend but spends weeks discussing how a known drug dealer lead police on a high speed chase and then reached for a gun only to be shot by an officer and how the officer acted improperly... get a grip on reality man.

I'm not here to say all police officers are saints. There are bad people that wear a badge and there are good people that make poor decisions or reactions.

I'm curious are you a black man? I'm not, I'm a white dude. How on earth can I tell a man if a different color what he is experiencing in life? I've never walked a day in another mans shoes of a different race, or religion to know what they're fighting on a daily basis.

haleyrules

Reaction score
I'm curious are you a black man? I'm not, I'm a white dude. How on earth can I tell a man if a different color what he is experiencing in life? I've never walked a day in another mans shoes of a different race, or religion to know what they're fighting on a daily basis.
Interesting. I was the product of a mixed, White-Black, marriage. Human concepts of happiness are all the same.