Graziano - the Cowboys may not end up extending Dak Prescott

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
This makes sense on many levels.
Dallas can use the expanded cap windfall to eat that 60M this year and let him play it out.
If they win you can pay him what he wants, which will be insane, but you can also walk away with an R3 comp pick and having given it your all to win with him in the building.

It ties to the entire coaching staff also being on 1-year deals.

If team fails to win in playoffs you can hit the hard reset and rebuild. New staff with Trey Lance at QB. Trade Micah and CeeDee for elite draft assets.
2-year rebuild.

All that said, this is likely just as with Tyron more negotiating in the media.
That is terrible but could be necessary to get messages sent back and forth to the player as the team is dealing with agents.
Unfortunately, Dallas early handling of Dak taught him full well that the Cowboys do not have his best interest at heart; and he has stated many times he lets his agent negotiate and stays completely out of it until the agent brings him a deal.

I do not think Jerry would consider likely robbing himself of his last chance to make a playoff run by blowing it up this year.
IF he did it would cost 2 more million this year but there would be zero future cost.
Post June 1st moves don't really work for Dak because of the roster bonus.
Handing him an extra 5M to push off 25M of his dead money 1 season would be certifiably insane.

Chasing6

Reaction score
lol jerry has no regrets he had his time in the sun he is just making money now
Speaking to CBS Dallas, the owner was asked if he regretted not getting the quarterback a team that could get to the Super Bowl. He said that he did regret it and it serves as the biggest regret of his tenure. "It is my biggest disappointment as far as my time with the Cowboys is not having Tony Romo in a Super Bowl.

basel90

Reaction score
The way Jerry is operating and his "3 cheap guys instead of 1 expensive guy" philosophy says Dak's in his final season in Dallas.

Not extending Dak would be the best thing Jerry has done in 30 years.
maybe jerry is finally getting Dak fatigue and is too afraid of paying dak 60 million and getting embarrassed again . He does not have the time to recover from a 3-4 more years of a dak morass.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
#1 Extend Dak - Go All in and sign a difference maker or three and fill the holes.

#2 Play it out. Sign nobody of importance. Finish 9-8. Dak hits open market.

#3 Play it out. Sign nobody of importance. Give Dak the finger. Make Dak 3rd string QB. Finish 2-15

#4 Cut or trade Dak. Sign nobody of importance. Cook with Russ. Finish 8-9 at best.

#5 Cut or trade Dak. Sign nobody of importance. Rush and Lance show. Finish 2-15.

#6 Extend Dak. Rinse and repeat.

Am I missing anything? I prefer #3 but that wont happen.
It’s gonna be ok.

Changing the starting QB in Dallas has always been a big deal.

We have the top QB from the 2021 draft.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
This thread has been good. The thread when dak signs is gonna be gold!!!!! Lol

Chasing6

Reaction score
It’s gonna be ok.

Changing the starting QB in Dallas has always been a big deal.

We have the top QB from the 2021 draft.
We have the most inexperienced first round QB ever drafted in the history of the NFL. Who has basically not played since 2019.

khiladi

Reaction score
If people are paying attention GM Jeruh offered top 5 QB extension. So far Dak and his agent have turned it down.

Does that sound like GM Jeruh playing hard ball or Dak and his Agent playing hard ball?

Does that sound like a desperate Dak?
1. Show me where he offered an extension, because all reports say nothing has taken place.

2. You clearly missed the point. Dak as zero leverage, if Jerry WANTS TO PLAY HARDBALL. Ifg he wants to be a desperate lover and retain this loser QB, than that is on him.

khiladi

Reaction score
“Dude” has all the leverage. He also has an agent that took Jerry to the cleaners once and will enhance his reputation among his peer$ by doing it again. Right now the Cowboys need Dak more than Dak needs the Cowboys. That’s why he’s their highest paid player. And he’ll simply be some other teams highest paid player as soon as he’s gone. Either way, Dak will be OK. It would be exciting to see what the Cowboys do at QB without him.
LOL.. Dak, in reality, has zero leverage if Jerry WANTS TO PLAY HARDBALL. He sucked once again in the playoffs. 5-1 with Cooper Rush says they don't Dak. Dalton with a catastrophe at OL and after the bye averaged close to 35 PPG in 4 games against the same weak teams Dak was doing, except Dalton actually won more than 1 game that season unlike the bum at QB. WHo cares if some other loser franchise wants to pay Dak. Dak will suck there, because he won't have 8 years of catering to his mediocre skill-set for the team that pays him t do something.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because the answer is so obvious. You get rid of Dak and you’re going to win 5 or 6 games. You get rid of him, you’re going to win 2-3 games. Now I know you don’t give a damn between winning 2 or 3 games vs 12 or more and have a chance at reaching the SB after fixing the weak D and O lines, LB and RB, but most sane people would believe like I do. Not you.
That wasn't the question. Just more deflection.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
1. Show me where he offered an extension, because all reports say nothing has taken place.

2. You clearly missed the point. Dak as zero leverage, if Jerry WANTS TO PLAY HARDBALL. Ifg he wants to be a desperate lover and retain this loser QB, than that is on him.
Dak has zero leverage if Jerry Jones does not want him to be the quarterback for the Dallas Cowboys beyond the 2024 season. If Jerry Jones does want him beyond the 2024 season Dak has all the leverage. There is a “going rate” for NFL quarterbacks that are performing well. The Cowboys are not immune from having to pay it.