Graziano - the Cowboys may not end up extending Dak Prescott

Flamma

Reaction score
So you're saying that with Rush or Trey, the Cowboys don't win the division last season?
Name me some of DAK's big wins last season.
Please Tri-State area give us the juice baby!
Truth is, we don't win a lot of games with QBs not named Dak or Rush. With Lance we don't win 5 games. Not with the gameplan we were using. Lance isn't a pocket passer. He was absolute garbage on the 49ers. Maybe with a different gameplan that featured a lot of RPO Lance might be good. But we don't know any of this.

ErikWilliamsHeadSlap

Reaction score
#1 Extend Dak - Go All in and sign a difference maker or three and fill the holes.

#2 Play it out. Sign nobody of importance. Finish 9-8. Dak hits open market.

#3 Play it out. Sign nobody of importance. Give Dak the finger. Make Dak 3rd string QB. Finish 2-15

#4 Cut or trade Dak. Sign nobody of importance. Cook with Russ. Finish 8-9 at best.

#5 Cut or trade Dak. Sign nobody of importance. Rush and Lance show. Finish 2-15.

#6 Extend Dak. Rinse and repeat.

Am I missing anything? I prefer #3 but that wont happen.

phildadon86

Reaction score
He read @Hawkeye0202 post back on page 3 and didn't do his research, but yet has the nerve to say "If people are paying attention" hahahahahahaha

@Chasing6 :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
What is worse is everyone in the coaching staff is on a one year deal. Dak has one year left.

If you are planning on moving on if they dont perform. Which we have a pretty good baseline for. Why even bother throwing away a year?

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
What is worse is everyone in the coaching staff is on a one year deal. Dak has one year left.

If you are planning on moving on if they dont perform. Which we have a pretty good baseline for. Why even bother throwing away a year?
Maybe Jerry is pining on Dak requesting a trade instead of playing out his last year, signing Russell Wilson, and drafting a QB with the high first round pick we get for Dak.

I can dream can’t I?

phildadon86

Reaction score
Maybe Jerry is pining on Dak requesting a trade instead of playing out his last year, signing Russell Wilson, and drafting a QB with the high first round pick we get for Dak.

I can dream can’t I?
Its a great dream. Id honestly rather roll with Lance.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Little Enos has allowed Dak and his agent to get anything and everything they’ve wanted to this point. Instead of negotiations, there’s been a blank check and total submission.

Other than not touching the contract or cutting him outright (which would be admitting their mistakes), any other choice only makes things worse.

Landryhat73

Reaction score
#1 Extend Dak - Go All in and sign a difference maker or three and fill the holes.

#2 Play it out. Sign nobody of importance. Finish 9-8. Dak hits open market.

#3 Play it out. Sign nobody of importance. Give Dak the finger. Make Dak 3rd string QB. Finish 2-15

#4 Cut or trade Dak. Sign nobody of importance. Cook with Russ. Finish 8-9 at best.

#5 Cut or trade Dak. Sign nobody of importance. Rush and Lance show. Finish 2-15.

#6 Extend Dak. Rinse and repeat.

Am I missing anything? I prefer #3 but that wont happen.
I think you are missing an option and it might be the most likely one. Super Bowl or bust for Prescott. Restructure Dak, saving $18 million. Be more active in free agency than in years past and make next year will a make it a break in year. The entire coaching staff are basically on one year deals and key players such as Martin, Lawrence, Cooks and Dak will be most likely gone after next year. I don't think Prescott deserves to be the highest paid player in the league but have him try and prove it by winning a Super Bowl. Doesn't he say pressure is a privilege'!?!

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'd say nice deflection....but it really wasn't.

Guess you don't have an answer to the question.
Because the answer is so obvious. You get rid of Dak and you’re going to win 5 or 6 games. You get rid of him, you’re going to win 2-3 games. Now I know you don’t give a damn between winning 2 or 3 games vs 12 or more and have a chance at reaching the SB after fixing the weak D and O lines, LB and RB, but most sane people would believe like I do. Not you.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Both sides go over the top to irritate competing perspectives. The bottom line is that the current QB will not get much if any better than he currently is. He has shown and proven his capacity with different coaches and players. Beat tier 3 teams, split against tier 2 teams, lose to tier 1 teams. Extending him (which they will)-will extend the aforementioned results. If his best stats translated in the playoff games (consistently throughout the game)-everyone would be onboard with an extension.

Witnessing early success of young/inexperienced QB’s such as Mahomes, Burrow, CJ Stroud, Purdy, Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen should make you realize that success within 1-2 years of being in the league is not out of reach even if you are not drafting in the top 5 picks. Journeyman like Geno Smith, Baker Mayfield, and Derek Carr show you that teams can get immediate mediocre results after their starter leaves.

If you can blame getting into the playoffs only on the QB, can you see the hypocrisy of not blaming the QB for a playoff loss? Use a mirror when making an argument.

If you want the name (how about Russell Wilson?) of a QB that will give the team the exact or better production from the position immediately-you are wanting to go until the doors fall off. No team can exactly predict when a player will drastically fall off their previous production-but they can view trends and make decisions based on them. In my opinion, a QB should only be extended after 6 years (starting) if they reach a conference final or better. Dak has plateaued in a performance area that seems like a small difference but is unfortunately an extremely large gap with his surrounding talent.

The funny part is that the line of reasoning (name the next starting QB then) is inevitable (be it next season or 5-10 seasons from now). No one will be able to give a definitive answer then either-which is no reason to keep an incumbent starter that is only as good as his surrounding cast.
If you can’t see that against good teams the Cowboys defense was defenseless and the Cowboys running game was putrid. I suggest you go read Football 101 for Housewife’s so maybe you can learn that you can’t win in the NFL against the better teams unless you can stop the run and run the ball. It’s basic football Which you apparently don’t, can’t or refuse to understand.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Does it matter? They can't put a team around Dak good enough to win. Or they are, but Dak isn't good enough. It's one or the other. They have to stack the team like the 49ers do for Purdy. But it's hard to do paying him all that money. What bothers me is that they don't even try. The Cowboys standard operating procedure hasn't changed. It was the same SOP when Dak was a rookie.
The Cowboys passing game was near the top or at the top in all categories except running the ball. The Cowboys defense was defenseless against good running teams. Dak is the only reason they won 12 games. Without him, they win 5 or 6. So yes it matters. You can give up like 95% of this place is and delve into the gutters constantly whining about how Dak sucks if you want. Meanwhile, I’ll be paying great attention to FA and the draft to see how the Cowboys fix their glaring line weaknesses, LB corps and running game.

VACowboy

Reaction score
There is no pressure on him. He and his agent hold all the cards. Dak is comfortable playing his last year and becoming a free agent.
I think that depends on what Dak wants. If he just wants a big contract, yeah, he holds all the cards. But if he wants to stay in Dallas and enjoy everything that comes with wearing the star, he does not hold all the cards. We're into Lance for a fourth-round pick, but if Pennix is there at #24... MMM...

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
H-m-m -- Jerry claims Dak might not be extended and Stephen swears it's a sure thing he will.
Isn't there a clash of opinions, here?! :grin: Looks like we're about to learn who has the clout!

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
H-m-m -- Jerry claims Dak might not be extended and Stephen swears it's a sure thing he will.
Isn't there a clash of opinions, here?! :grin: Looks like we're about to learn who has the clout!
It’s called posturing. Jones are trying to get the best deal possible. Don’t believe anything you hear from GM’s during this time of year.

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
They only reason they made the playoffs was because of Dak. You haters are blinded by your hate blaming playoff failures on Dak.
Where's the wildcard trophy that they give out to the losers? Oh wait...

Seriously though, Prescott has been a huge liability in the playoffs. Everybody LOVES to bring up the game vs the 8-9 Bucs team riddled with injuries and a shell at QB. The Cowboys WERE the better team as they were road favorites. You just lost outright as 7.5 home favorites vs a squad that snuck into the playoffs, and the QB was a huge reason why. The only reason? No. Unnacceptble when your salary is that high, you put on that kind of performance and now you're asking for $60 million a year. Dak stat pads versus NFC East teams and teams with losing records outside of the division. His level of play goes down versus teams with winning records. Don't pay $60 million for that. ***.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Jerry is known for talking about both sides of his mouth. Likely the deal is already done and this is just to create PR hysteria.

Flamma

Reaction score
The Cowboys passing game was near the top or at the top in all categories except running the ball. The Cowboys defense was defenseless against good running teams. Dak is the only reason they won 12 games. Without him, they win 5 or 6. So yes it matters. You can give up like 95% of this place is and delve into the gutters constantly whining about how Dak sucks if you want. Meanwhile, I’ll be paying great attention to FA and the draft to see how the Cowboys fix their glaring line weaknesses, LB corps and running game.
I agree with everything you said. But what does it matter if the front office doesn't support him? I'll be watching in FA too. Watch as they do nothing. Romo was a good QB too, what did they do for him?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I agree with everything you said. But what does it matter if the front office doesn't support him? I'll be watching in FA too. Watch as they do nothing. Romo was a good QB too, what did they do for him?
They tried and failed. That doesn’t mean you give up at least not in my book. You keep trying.