Video: Great take by Colin Cowherd

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Michael here's a counter point to that--

When I got to a hotel now and they say "free wifi" that's not really a selling point because everybody gets free wifi.
When I get a phone plan and they say unlimited text and calling - well, okay I expect that.

Same with NFL quarterbacks now. When 7 out of 10 is becoming the norm, there has to be other metrics that separates their talents. You simply have to admit he is not an elite accurate quarterback and has missed receivers downfield for touchdowns who clearly had their man beat. He also misses players in stride that costs YAC. Your eyes tell you this. I don't know why you would push back on this criticism.

There is also a lot to love about Dak. I love Dak as a person and I agree he deserves an extension but I am scared to death we will get hamstrung with a misplaced contract to a QB who does enough to win with a really good team. It will undermine every good draft and personnel move the team has made and will force us to make difficult choices on players that we need to sign.

I love Dak at 18 million per.
He kills us at 28-30 per.
The bigger question is do we believe we could find an equal or greater replacement for Dak in the draft ?

And that doesn’t have to be in 2019. It could be in 2020.

Like evaluating all positions. Are they elite enough to sign them to a second contract or do we go back to the draft? Which of course is much cheaper.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Michael here's a counter point to that--

When I got to a hotel now and they say "free wifi" that's not really a selling point because everybody gets free wifi.
When I get a phone plan and they say unlimited text and calling - well, okay I expect that.

Same with NFL quarterbacks now. When 7 out of 10 is becoming the norm, there has to be other metrics that separates their talents. You simply have to admit he is not an elite accurate quarterback and has missed receivers downfield for touchdowns who clearly had their man beat. He also misses players in stride that costs YAC. Your eyes tell you this. I don't know why you would push back on this criticism.

There is also a lot to love about Dak. I love Dak as a person and I agree he deserves an extension but I am scared to death we will get hamstrung with a misplaced contract to a QB who does enough to win with a really good team. It will undermine every good draft and personnel move the team has made and will force us to make difficult choices on players that we need to sign.

I love Dak at 18 million per.
He kills us at 28-30 per.

Oh I agree there have to be other metrics involved.

I don't think Prescott is a top-10 QB as of right now.

He may not get there.

But I don't think he's a "finished product" either.

I think he's going to be around $20 mil a season.

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If you can win a SB with Nick Foles in your stretch run, you can win one with Dak. He’s just got to smooth out the edges. Drive killing sacks, missing open guys for TDS, putting the ball on the ground... Those things won’t get it done in LA and / or in NO. But Dak has shown he can avoid those things in short stretches. If he can figure out how to put together 4 quarters of not doing them this team can be scary good.

Just being fair here. Nick Foles played extremely well during their title run. Not saying Dak couldn't play that way, but in my opinion, using Foles as an argument here doesn't work. I would've mentioned Trent Dilfer or Brad Johnson. Dak is much better than either of those guys.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Colin didn't say anything controversial. Obvious observations.

morasp

Reaction score
I agree....you give Dak a witten/ertz type of TE as a safety valve, a healthy OL and i believe he plays like he did in 2016 and nobody's talking about his warts.

Exactly true on both, no QB is good when he's constantly under pressure. Even Tom Brady looked poor when the Broncos got constant pressure on him and shut them down a few years ago in the playoffs.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak should make a team friendly deal for 15-18 million a year

That number is low.

Bortles contract is averaging $18 mil a season.

Case Keenum is averaging $18 mil a season.

Tyrod Taylor is averaging $15.2 mil a season.

And keep in mind whatever contract extension Prescott does sign will be in future years were where the salary cap will be even higher than it is now.

I think if they get him to sign a deal that averages $20 mil a season, we should be very happy.

Brooksey

Reaction score
That number is low.

Bortles contract is averaging $18 mil a season.

Case Keenum is averaging $18 mil a season.

Tyrod Taylor is averaging $15.2 mil a season.

And keep in mind whatever contract extension Prescott does sign will be in future years were where the salary cap will be even higher than it is now.

I think if they get him to sign a deal that averages $20 mil a season, we should be very happy.

I like low. If he turns into an all-pro give him a new contract. I wouldn't go over 20 into the 25-28 range, mistake.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like low. If he turns into an all-pro give him a new contract. I wouldn't go over 20 into the 25-28 range, mistake.

Heck, I'd like him to take $10 mil a season... lol

But given what other QB's are making. I think if he gets $20 mil per year on average, we should applaud the Cowboys negotiating teams.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Is Jerry going to pay everyone ?
Cooper, Elliott and Dak?

That’s just on offense. Who’s the elite talent ? That’s who you pay and go back to the draft to replace the other or others.

Dak will probably sign for 18-21 million. He doesn't seem to want millions like some other QBs out there. On the other hand, I can Wince getting around 30 million per. year. Philly is going to pay him. And they won't be able to build a team to win it all again.

Ddisco22

Reaction score

Some great points by Colin Cowherd. Talks about Dak's strengths and weakness and really worth a listen.

Yes, Dak makes some bad plays but so does all the other QB's, he is winning, stats better than over half the league.
Why is everyone talking About him? Why aren't they talking about Aaron Rodgers, Ben Roethlisberger or some of these other quarterbacks that aren't going to make the playoffs?

Cleveland's got a first-round pick quarterback what's their record, how is he playing, He's Got Talent around him no one's talking about his game every single week.
Everybody's being critical of him but himself that doesn't consider himself Elite, he knows and how much he has to work on.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
How about if you are a superior player?
Nah still don't care but even less if you're Dak level avg. What you stand for or don't doesn't matter to me. I'm not looking for morals and famous people to agree with me on topics like some fans seem to. No matter what side you're on just don't care but I can usually tell who's on what side by things they say. All I care about is can you play other stuff for the most part is whatever to me.

Redline360

Reaction score
Pretty damn accurate for the most part. I think he sums up the majority of the people besides the Dak lovers.

20mil should be his limit.

BLEU3ASY

Reaction score
You can't have it both ways colin turd the defense gave up points, above their average.. A missed field goal..Smith with the hat trick on holds.. the bogus sack penalty on Randy, that was game over.. Dak definitely played a part, but to do all of that grunting like it was ALL on him is terrible. These blowhards with their biased statements never tell the whole picture.. I'm just saying...

erod

Reaction score
I’m about as far away from a dedicated researcher or stat guru or salary cap whiz bang that you can get. I just know that personally, I’d rather be a millionaire on an annual contender than a richer guy on a crap team. 15-20 million per year would give you a pretty good lifestyle.
But that's just not what most athletes do.

See Demarco Murray.

Little Jr

Reaction score
Yesterday is your answer.

Dallas had the ball for 45 more plays than Philly. Tons more yards, time of possession, rushing yards, everything.

It should have been a 40-point butt whooping.

And it took a crazy play in overtime to win.

What answer ? Lol what question is that an answer to? Where is my answer of qbs who won super bowls without any help or very little help? I've asked this 2 times on this forum and multiple times in other forums and yet have received an answer. Lol every QB I can remember in my 35 years of watching football was better with talent around them and worst with less talent. I have never seen a great QB or even a good QB with ****** talent around them look great or good much less lead their team to the super bowl.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Yes, Dak makes some bad plays but so does all the other QB's, he is winning, stats better than over half the league.
Why is everyone talking About him? Why aren't they talking about Aaron Rodgers, Ben Roethlisberger or some of these other quarterbacks that aren't going to make the playoffs?

Cleveland's got a first-round pick quarterback what's their record, how is he playing, He's Got Talent around him no one's talking about his game every single week.
Everybody's being critical of him but himself that doesn't consider himself Elite, he knows and how much he has to work on.
This is the life of playing for the best Sports franchise at the highest profile position in sports. Rodger would have been crucified if they had social media back in the day, as would Aikman.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
He had one of the best OL's in history with Zeke, defenses were still doubling Dez, and he wasn't asked to throw a lot. This commentary is exactly right -- A+ intangibles and B-/C+ ability. If Dak gets an incentive based contract that allows us to get a lot of help around him we will have a shot at being good for a while.
Romo haD that same line with a better running back, or a running back that put up record breaking stats, we still couldn't get out of the 1st round of the play offs, and that guy was PAID!!!