Video: Great take by Colin Cowherd

Fritsch_the_cat

Reaction score
The bigger question is do we believe we could find an equal or greater replacement for Dak in the draft

Nailed it. It could take years to find someone who plays just as well as Dak, much more to find someone heads better. It's a hard decision right now.

kskboys

Reaction score
Just being fair here. Nick Foles played extremely well during their title run. Not saying Dak couldn't play that way, but in my opinion, using Foles as an argument here doesn't work. I would've mentioned Trent Dilfer or Brad Johnson. Dak is much better than either of those guys.
He pretty much sucked against ATL.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Colin is spot on and no emotions in it. Dak says all the right things and is a stand up dude but talent wise he is avg. He needs a LOT of help to win and that's where I have issues. He needs a great RB not a good RB and he needs a great defense not a good defense. Its because of Dak being so avg that I think you have to continue to search for a more talented QB. That would put this team over the top.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
No I don't think so. I think he is poorly coached. To top it off we have an oline full of rookies and free agents. No one is mentioning how porous our online has been. Yet Dak has to play within that and still be effective.
So was the front office supposed to have a crystal ball and see Fred beard was going out? Know Martin was getting hurt?

If only we had real coaches like in ...philly, we. Would be really good. Better yet, hey, Zimmer in Minnesota, he’s supposed to be great, right... they were picked by many to win a sb.... how are the vikes looking?

Redline360

Reaction score
Romo never had the defense that Dak has had in his short career. Not even remotely close bar that one freak year I believe.

Apples to oranges

Hadenough

Reaction score
The bigger question is do we believe we could find an equal or greater replacement for Dak in the draft ?

And that doesn’t have to be in 2019. It could be in 2020.

Like evaluating all positions. Are they elite enough to sign them to a second contract or do we go back to the draft? Which of course is much cheaper.
I absolutely think you can. Just like the chiefs had Alex Smith but drafted Mahommes. Dak can be the man until you find his replacement. But DONT sit there and draft 6th round guys that don't have a chance. Dallas needs to pony up and use a first or a second or even package some picks to move up and take a QB.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Dak will eventually be the achilles heal of the Cowboys. He needs too many high quality pieces around him to be successful. There are two significant issues converging on the Dak situation that make it very difficult not to extend him. 1) His contract is up 2) There is no other solution at QB.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
So was the front office supposed to have a crystal ball and see Fred beard was going out? Know Martin was getting hurt?

If only we had real coaches like in ...philly, we. Would be really good. Better yet, hey, Zimmer in Minnesota, he’s supposed to be great, right... they were picked by many to win a sb.... how are the vikes looking?

No what I said was Dak has to play with a porous oline this year because of injuries and having a rookie. Yet people make it seem like Dak has all day to throw the ball and that those fumbles are all his fault.

Yes Dak could be better in holding the ball and moving in the pocket better. However, the coaches do him no favor. They don't seem to coach him on such things and they do him no justice by making sit back in the pocket.

dckid

Reaction score

Some great points by Colin Cowherd. Talks about Dak's strengths and weakness and really worth a listen.

I love it guys, we have some good scuttle butt!! Cowherd's job is have hot takes and he is constantly changing his mind.
The truth is we all want to have our cake and eat it too.
I think when the whole league zigs sometimes we should zag.
Do you think the Falcons are happy paying Matt Ryan the richest contract in the league? If I was a Falcons fan or management I would not be happy with him.

These are the top 10 paid qb's in the league.
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/quarterback/

( Rogers, Brees, Luck.. The only contracts I like)
Rogers
Ryan- Overpaid
Cousins-Overpaid
Garapallo-Overpaid
Stafford-Overpaid
Brees-Legend
Carr-Overpaid
Luck- Who doesnt like Andrew the Giant..
Alex Smith-Overpaid
Flacco-Overpaid he has had a great salary since 2012

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
When it was 2016 we were winning with Dak. We didn't have a great defense. So this thing about Dak being pretty average is bogus.

Dak isn't playing as well as 2016. He regressed. He's come back some. Still was better in 2016. So was the oline, by a long ways.

ESisback

Reaction score
Your thought process is admirable but unfortunately the players don’t have control over how the team is managed . Now if a Championship was guaranteed if you took less this might be a more reasonable argument or if you’d already achieved or earned hundreds of millions and won several rings.

Brady is only QB I’m aware of who actually took less as your describing because he could have certainly demanded top salary. It’s not like he settled for chump change.

It’s only natural to seek what the market will bear and make it as long as you can. Daks career could end at any point with an injury. That is the business of the NFL and professional sports. It’s up to each teams ownership to manage it properly.

The QB position is the highest paid and why it’s so critical to have one of your best talents at this position if you’re going to open up the checkbook.

The teams that have the greater QB’s in Cap era are more consistent contenders. If you don’t have one of the top QB’s you might as well churn it over like you do the rest of the roster that isn’t elite talent IMO.
I’m sick and tired of hearing about market value, and the short career nonsense. Give me ONE million, ONE time, and I can live quite nicely for the rest of my life. Who needs four mansions and seven cars?

Yes, QBs are valuable, but even the best need a team around them. Exhibit A? Packers!

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Yes Dak could be better in holding the ball and moving in the pocket better. However, the coaches do him no favor. They don't seem to coach him on such things and they do him no justice by making sit back in the pocket.

Dak regressed. He's come back some. Linehan still holds him back.

mmohican29

Reaction score
Even with Cooper I think Dak misses Witten. One thing I noticed last night was that Schultz and Jarwin both had some nice plays. Hopefully they can keep improving each game.

Thought both kids played well. They've grown up quickly, shook off early pt jitters and I think both are capable. There is no replacement for Witten (maybe Kittle in SF). But they are good fits for this club. Gamey. They bring sudden/surprise to the gameplan if that makes sense.

mmohican29

Reaction score
Has Colin ever been a QB or a QBs coach or a head football coach or a scout or did he spend his life sitting in a chair judging every player around him. I think the ladder, he's nothing more than idiot fans around here. If you like Linehan, then everything you say bad about Dak is true. But if you don't like Linehan, then let's try our luck with a better offensive coordinator/QBs coach and then let's see.

No one know's who Dak will be right now, but while we're waiting to see, he's winning.

I like Cowherd because he is a true fan of SPORTS. If he has a favorite team he hides it well in objectivity.

GoJacks

Reaction score
He’s 30-15 as a starter. Everything else is fluff. Dak’s a winner and winners usually win.

17-20 for 3 TD, 0 INT in the 4th quarter/OT yesterday. And nobody was surprised, not even his detractors, because Dak’s as CLUTCH a QB as there is in the NFL.
What were his stats for the first 3 quarters? Because the way the defense was playing it should have been a blowout.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’m sick and tired of hearing about market value, and the short career nonsense. Give me ONE million, ONE time, and I can live quite nicely for the rest of my life. Who needs four mansions and seven cars?

Yes, QBs are valuable, but even the best need a team around them. Exhibit A? Packers!
So, you’d give up hundreds of millions for a better opportunity to win? Lol

mmohican29

Reaction score
For the last time, look at that game.

Green Bay was missing it's entire secondary and linebacking corp. They were behind one week later, 31-0, barely into the 2nd quarter.

Dallas should have won that game easily, but Dak was terrible the first half, and the defense was awful.

Yeah- I seem to remember it was the Defense and officiating more than Dak that thwarted momentum in this particular contest.

Particularly in the 1st half.Dallas was driving for a TD when called for the substitution penalty that the official grinned to the whole world out of nowhere.

A few Rodgers moments later, and we were in a hole.