Gunman kills 12, injures 59 during screening of Batman movie in Aurora, CO

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
It's also pretty ghoulish to see news sites posting graphic images and frantic calls. Good Lord, do people need every drop of misery made available?

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
My guess is that is no one was lawfully armed in the theater because it probably has a no firearms policy.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
burmafrd;4627064 said:
none of the reports mention anyone firing back so it looks like there wasn't.

Just because the report does not mention anyone firing back does not mean there were not lawfully armed people in the theater.

Maybe there were people there who had their carry concealed weapons permits and their weapons but just did not fire due to the confusion, smoke and worrying about hitting someone else or maybe those people just panicked.

Just because someone lawfully has a gun it does not make them a hero when stuff goes down. Nor does talking about it on a internet message board make one a 100% guarantee to shoot the bad guy in a real world situation like this incident.

Heck for that matter someone would not even need a gun or weapon. One could argue that someone (either by themselves or with help from another) could have knocked him down and subdued him.

One does not need to have a gun to take down a guy and also just because one has a gun does not mean they can take down the guy.

With that said...This is not a video game, this is not a movie, this is not a what if, this is not if I was there I would do this, this is not a internet message board incident...this was real life and in real life situations people react differently.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Denim Chicken;4627006 said:
Why does it matter that it's a small caliber weapon? i dont think it matters in VA.
.38 cal or higher in AZ.

Trendnet

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;4627076 said:
Just because the report does not mention anyone firing back does not mean there were not lawfully armed people in the theater.

Maybe there were people there who had their carry concealed weapons permits and their weapons but just did not fire due to the confusion, smoke and worrying about hitting someone else or maybe those people just panicked.

Just because someone lawfully has a gun it does not make them a hero when stuff goes down. Nor does talking about it on a internet message board make one a 100% guarantee to shoot the bad guy in a real world situation like this incident.

Heck for that matter someone would not even need a gun or weapon. One could argue that someone (either by themselves or with help from another) could have knocked him down and subdued him.

One does not need to have a gun to take down a guy and also just because one has a gun does not mean they can take down the guy.

With that said...This is not a video game, this is not a movie, this is not a what if, this is not if I was there I would do this, this is not a internet message board incident...this was real life and in real life situations people react differently.

This.

It was dark, there was smoke, panicked people running around, it would have highly doubtful you'd get a clean shot off in that scenario, even if you could identify a target.

It's one thing to do a shooting competition and running around an empty field firing at targets. It's entirely different when you are getting shot at WITH a bevy of distractions going on.

If it was your stray bullet that killed an innocent bystander, how would you handle it? (and by 'you', I mean in a general sense, not anyone specific)

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
Signals;4627001 said:
:rolleyes: If it were you carrying probably would have been the first to die.
[youtube]8QjZY3WiO9s&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

Bovine fecal matter.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
MonsterD;4627028 said:
What is your problem? And he is right, the guy would have mowed you down and anyone else, because he had full body armor, tear gas and superior weapons, the end, end of conversation.

Not even slightly accurate.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Denim Chicken;4627099 said:
wow, so you could'nt even carry a 9mm.
Actually I think you can. So it is probably 9 mm and .38 or higher.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Update.

Suspect identified as James Holmes, 24, white. Recently dropped out of med school. Report about booby traps in his aparment have been confrimed--could takes days to disarm and search. Death toll updated to 13.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;4627076 said:

You are right about one thing. This is REAL LIFE. And in real life bad guys have guns. Bad guys break laws. So if someone or several people had guns and they used them there is a better likelihood the shooter would have been killed before he killed a dozen people and injured scores more.

Also, if the bad guys knew that there were more and more people armed, they might not try it in the first place. Then again, maybe not but I guarantee one thing, if someone starts shooting the place up around me, I will at least go out firing and trying to take him out as well.

ethiostar

Reaction score
A very sad tragedy and waste of human lives.

Too bad posters can't seem to get the politics out of the discussion. I'm sure this thread will be closed soon enough because of it.

Can we just offer our condolences to those impacted by this sickening tragedy and get updates on the news throughout the day?

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Hostile;4627101 said:
Actually I think you can. So it is probably 9 mm and .38 or higher.

Hos,

Am I understanding this correctly. You cannot legally carry the smaller calibers but can legally carry .38 and larger?

FWIW a Glock 19 conceals real nice. 9mm

arglebargle

Reaction score
Looks to me like another reason for better mental health care. If it were to stop at least one of these horrible events.....

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Vtwin;4627122 said:
Hos,

Am I understanding this correctly. You cannot legally carry the smaller calibers but can legally carry .38 and larger?

FWIW a Glock 19 conceals real nice. 9mm

I checked AZ website on this and don't see any limits.

Trendnet

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4627107 said:
You are right about one thing. This is REAL LIFE. And in real life bad guys have guns. Bad guys break laws. So if someone or several people had guns and they used them there is a better likelihood the shooter would have been killed before he killed a dozen people and injured scores more.

Also, if the bad guys knew that there were more and more people armed, they might not try it in the first place. Then again, maybe not but I guarantee one thing, if someone starts shooting the place up around me, I will at least go out firing and trying to take him out as well.

The whole stupidity of the moronic left who wants to take away the right to bear arms is sickening in light of the tragedy. But that doesn't mean that common sense shouldn't rule the day. I mean if anyone seriously wants to ban guns, they only need to look at those people in history who was in favor of doing so and see what they stood for.

This always interested me.

You're right this is Real life.

I was always trained to identify your target before firing.

In this case it's midnight, it's dark, you're unprepared.

Suddenly, smoke hits, gunfire rings out, people start screaming. I identify the shooter on the bottom left. You're behind me, and react quickly and start firing. Now I have two targets. A third person gets in, he's not really trained, he's firing wildly. Now I have three targets.

I don't know who's hostile.

I do know, I'll take out my first target on the bottom left. Now, how do I know you're not a hostile target? I'm willing to bet I have better training than you... you and that joe schmore are next on my list to take out... better safe than sorry, no?

Conversly, how do you know I'm not an aggressor? Will you shoot me too? Will you go after joe schome who's ducking behind the seats, but still shooting his pistol over it and at everything?

3 other armed people firing in the theater, not including you. You don't know any of them. How do you identify your targets?

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LEAVE OUT THE POLITICS

If not you get a vacation.

ethiostar

Reaction score
Trendnet;4627127 said:
This always interested me.

You're right this is Real life.

I was always trained to identify your target before firing.

In this case it's midnight, it's dark, you're unprepared.

Suddenly, smoke hits, gunfire rings out, people start screaming. I identify the shooter on the bottom left. You're behind me, and react quickly and start firing. Now I have two targets. A third person gets in, he's not really trained, he's firing wildly. Now I have three targets.

I don't know who's hostile.

I do know, I'll take out my first target on the bottom left. Now, how do I know you're not a hostile target? I'm willing to bet I have better training than you... you and that joe schmore are next on my list to take out... better safe than sorry, no?

Conversly, how do you know I'm not an aggressor? Will you shoot me too? Will you go after joe schome who's ducking behind the seats, but still shooting his pistol over it and at everything?

3 other armed people firing in the theater, not including you. You don't know any of them. How do you identify your targets?

Great and well reasoned post!

Another question is, what happens when/if the police arrive at the scene? How do they identify the aggressor when they see more than one gunman firing in a dark, smokey, and closed-in space?

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
ethiostar;4627112 said:
A very sad tragedy and waste of human lives.

Too bad posters can't seem to get the politics out of the discussion. I'm sure this thread will be closed soon enough because of it.

Can we just offer our condolences to those impacted by this sickening tragedy and get updates on the news throughout the day?

Post of the day!