Has any fanbase suffered as much as Cowboys fans have the last 5 years?

Deep_South

Reaction score
It seems impossible any other team has suffered the number of heartbreaking and morale crushing defeats the Cowboys have had in recent years. But, when visiting the forums of other NFC East teams after we beat them, they take it as hard or harder than we do. This is happy town after a loss compared to the Masada-like reaction in Extreme Skins this year. :)

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
Honestly, I can't say I really suffer anymore.

That loss to Seattle after the '06 season was painful, and I think that loss in '07 was even more painful (especially watching the Giants win). '08 sucked, and that lay down against Minnesota after the '09 season just topped it off.

Combine that with Jason Garrett's hire, and I just really don't expect anything out of this team. If anything I'm surprised they've managed to blow the division three times in a row to a different team each time. It's pretty comical how unlucky or terrible (probably both) Garrett is.

waving monkey

Reaction score
I'm still not over that Detroit loss yet. I just cant understand how a team losses football games the way the Cowboys do. Why does every game have to be a nail biter? This team still or should I say the Head Coach still doesn't know how to manage a game even when it's wrapped up for him to win.[/

I think this is what sets the tone for dissatisfaction for me at least. It's the way they lose.
However I like nail biters.

barney

Reaction score
If I'm being honest id rather have a 11-5 5-11 every two seasons than 8-8 every time so yeah I think we have suffered we are going nowhere at the moment

dstovall5

Reaction score
If you're talking about "suffering" from a false sense of hope, then Cowboys easily top the list(NFL). The past 3 years alone have been brutal, 3 straight week 17 loses that would've clinched the NFC East Divisional Title if the Cowboys were to win.

In 2011 we were sitting at 7-4 from a 4 game winning streak looking at the playoffs, then the Dallas Cowboys showed up and went 1-4 out of the last 5 games missing the playoffs. Record 8-8

In 2012 we were sitting at 8-6 looking pretty good for the playoffs and well in control of our destiny, then the Dallas Cowboys showed up and went 0-2 in the remaining games to miss the playoffs. Record 8-8

This year we were sitting at 7-5 looking pretty good to win our division, then the Dallas Cowboys showed up getting blown out in Chicago, choking away the GB game, and literally throwing away the Divisional title to the Eagles. Record 8-8

It's like Jerry Jones sold his soul to the Devil, the way we choke is a feat second to none, it's so sad that you have to just laugh at it time from time so you don't drive yourself crazy. I swear, if you gave the worlds #1 Dallas Cowboy hater a script to write for Dallas to fail, he couldn't even come up with the ways we choke, it's mind blowing and very frustrating.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Though with all that said, I still think the Ranger fans have had it worse over the recent years.

In 2010 they got blown out in the World Series by the Giants. In 2011 they made it back and faced the Cardinals, they had the World Series wrapped up on two separate occasions, all they had to do was throw ONE more strike and it was over, both times they gave up a hit which lead to one of the greatest comebacks you'll see. In 2012 after making 2 straight World Series appearances the Rangers then went one and done against the Orioles. Then this year despite winning 90+ games they didn't even make the playoffs, they missed it by a single game ....

Man has it been brutal for sport teams in Texas, what happened???????? :(

Eddie

Reaction score
What?

We've been in the big dance for the past three years? How many teams can say they were in it until the very last game for three years straight.

Jerry Jones is doing an incredible job. When a team's in contention for three years straight ... then it's totally entertaining.

Props to Jerry Jones.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Has any fanbase suffered as much as Cowboys fans have the last 5 years?
Let's go non-football - Dale Earnhardt Jr. fans.

Talk about a big time tease. Wins are very few and far between. The most popular driver finally made The Chase last year but didn't come close to winning the championship. Again.

Eddie

Reaction score
If you're talking about "suffering" from a false sense of hope, then Cowboys easily top the list(NFL). The past 3 years alone have been brutal, 3 straight week 17 loses that would've clinched the NFC East Divisional Title if the Cowboys were to win.

In 2011 we were sitting at 7-4 from a 4 game winning streak looking at the playoffs, then the Dallas Cowboys showed up and went 1-4 out of the last 5 games missing the playoffs. Record 8-8

In 2012 we were sitting at 8-6 looking pretty good for the playoffs and well in control of our destiny, then the Dallas Cowboys showed up and went 0-2 in the remaining games to miss the playoffs. Record 8-8

This year we were sitting at 7-5 looking pretty good to win our division, then the Dallas Cowboys showed up getting blown out in Chicago, choking away the GB game, and literally throwing away the Divisional title to the Eagles. Record 8-8

It's like Jerry Jones sold his soul to the Devil, the way we choke is a feat second to none, it's so sad that you have to just laugh at it time from time so you don't drive yourself crazy. I swear, if you gave the worlds #1 Dallas Cowboy hater a script to write for Dallas to fail, he couldn't even come up with the ways we choke, it's mind blowing and very frustrating.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:(

How many games did we lose by 3 points or less? We were in it until the end. If we had won those games, we'd have been 10-6 to 12-4 each and every one of those seasons.

This team is a Super Bowl winning caliber squad. Jerry's built a great team. Take away the injuries this year along with the losses, and we'd have been undefeated.

dstovall5

Reaction score
How many games did we lose by 3 points or less? We were in it until the end. If we had won those games, we'd have been 10-6 to 12-4 each and every one of those seasons.

This team is a Super Bowl winning caliber squad. Jerry's built a great team. Take away the injuries this year along with the losses, and we'd have been undefeated.

kgface_medium.gif

I do agree that we could've easily been 10-6 this year, but I defintely won't go as far and say we're a "Super-Bowl winning caliber squad". Hell, we're not ever a "Playoff winning caliber squad", last time I checked you have to win in the playoffs to make the Super Bowl.

DFWJC

Reaction score
The tease has been brutal to some degree.
It's been a really weird stretch.

Then again, the defense has been so putrid (even if injuries were a big reason) the team really had no reason to even be in contention to make the playoffs. As bad as they may look to some, the offense has managed to keep these seasons interesting down the stretch. Maybe that's why they oddly get so much blame when we don't make a playoff that the team has no business being in I the first place.

The bright spot this year, was the improved Oline play. That's about it.

daveferr33

Reaction score
Hi everyone. First post. Thanks in advance for allowing me to enter the conversation.

The last five years for me have been marked by a steep decline in my expectations for this team. Let me explain.

2008 was a big turning point in my fanhood. I had a lot of hope and expectations during the Parcells years, especially when we found our franchise qb. Even when we lost during those years; collapsed in December; it really felt like we were building something again and I trusted that we had people in charge who knew what they were doing.

Then Parcells left; Jerry started making decisions without a head coach in place (e.g., hired garrett as his OC), which led to my growing fear that we were going back to the pre-parcells organizational structure.

2007 led me to believe that perhaps I had been wrong. But then December came once again. Then the devastating loss to the Giants.

Then 2008. The RW trade. The pittsburgh loss. And shutting down texas stadium by giving up back to back long TD runs to lose the game.

Although, it wasn't overnight, I slowly adjusted my expectations. Took a wait and see approach. Wasn't fooled by the playoff wins in 2009 against the noodle-armed McNabb. Expected Phillips to eventually lose the team, etc. And I haven't been surprise by Garrett's mediocrity--it was on full display in December 2010.

I don't get too upset by the losses these days (Detroit was the most upset I was all year; but even that only lasted a couple of hours) and I don't get too excited by the wins. Perhaps its just a psychological defense mechanism. But it allows me to somewhat enjoy the comedy on display.

These days I find joy in the little pleasures (e.g., the look on the Jones' faces when they thought they were about to lose to the Viks this year).

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Suffering, true suffering, is what Browns and Bills fans have been.

We just get trolled by a imbecile owner who insults our intelligence every year.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
In any sport?

Please don't name perennial bottom feeders like the milwaukee bucks or cleveland browns. At least they don't suffer the tease like we do.

watching LeBron james leave Cleveland and then when 2 championships is about as bad as it gets