Have we figured out why the Cowboys came out so flat against GB yet?

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Did they feel they were going to not have to play hard, did they overlook them? I struggle to think what was the week of game prep like, what was the pre-game thoughts of this team? Like "let's not go too hard, let's save all of our energy for the next game, after we beat up on GB?" I just don't get how you can come out with no fire in a HUGE game such as this! Please give your thoughts if you can offer some sort of explanation for this!
We rolled out the same gameplan we did the whole season and Green Bay was just well prepared for it. We failed to make timely adjustments to stay in the game.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
The game I saw was one of the worst coaching jobs in professional sports history. Green Bay was regularly running 2 TE sets. Most teams put 7 in the box against that. Maybe 8 if you are struggling to stop the run. They Cowboys were putting 6, one of which was a converted safety. Pass coverage? They switched from the man defense they played all year to a soft zone. Defensively, I swear Quinn threw that game.

On offense, it really was about the two INT's. That said, before the second one it was clear that GB was changing its coverage at the snap. They had been doing it every passing play. The fact that the Cowboys didn't seem to have any adjustments and seemed to play right into it goes back to McCarthy.

You guys can go on about "losers" being "soft" but from what I saw, the coaching staff hung the players out to dry. Those blank stares were the players realizing it.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Did they feel they were going to not have to play hard, did they overlook them? I struggle to think what was the week of game prep like, what was the pre-game thoughts of this team? Like "let's not go too hard, let's save all of our energy for the next game, after we beat up on GB?" I just don't get how you can come out with no fire in a HUGE game such as this! Please give your thoughts if you can offer some sort of explanation for this!
Yes, because things like that just happen sometimes. It's way past time you get over it.

Manster_Mash

Reaction score
Team is mentally weak. As soon as GB took their lunch money on the opening drive and the offense followed up with nothing, everyone knew it was over and was resigned to their fate.

Team also sucks, so there's that too.

Pevansjr

Reaction score
I just can't understand what these coaches and players are doing during the week like seriously!
Well if I remember correctly wasn't one of the coaches doing job interviews. Wonder if that played any kind of role?

Reactions: CWR

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
That seems to be our problem with teams that really beat us down, we can't get back up!!! That Arizona game uhhh. This one hurt more because it's a playoff game, for gosh sake, lose and you go home
Defense was made to play from a lead. We get down, and they get run over.

The offense, well, Dak has problems against good defenses, and our receivers show their lack of speed to get separation and beat teams over the top. Double Ceedee with a couple of good DBS, and take your chances with the rest.

And I don't think our lines have another gear to ratchet up to in playoffs. Younger lines generally do. Playoffs are won by the teams whose big boys step it up. By the end of the year, our rushmen are exhausted. The run DTs were bad to begin with. And Tyron and Martin are All Pros game after game, elite professionals, but they're old and don't have another gear to step up into.

Our weaknesses get exposed against good teams.

Pevansjr

Reaction score
Is it possible that maybe with the exception of a few players the Cowboys aren't quite as talented as many think.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Start with the top brass and then it trickles down to the coach and you have the a— whipping we got.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Plus the whole let Dak beat us stigma in the playoffs never fails. Take away his first read = deer in headlights
The Formula has generally been to shorten the field, press the LOS, and make Dak and the WRs beat you *over the top*.
Our WRs lack the speed to beat teams over the top. Cooks got a few big plays, but he wasn't a reliable thread deep.

CWR

Reaction score
That Green bay game reminded me so much of the Arizona game earlier in the season....The Cowboys overlooked Arizona because they were so key on playing the 49'ers the next week and I believe the Cowboys, like most fans on this forum during that whole week leading up to the game were overlooking the Greenbay Packers for their next weeks match..
It amazes me these clowns still overlook anyone. They did though, hence the pre planned victory parties.

They also realized early on, they didn't have answers. Quinn was terrible and the Packers players as much as said so.

CWR

Reaction score
Is it possible that maybe with the exception of a few players the Cowboys aren't quite as talented as many think.
Of course, but be honest the disparity in talent isn't that lopsided. We still had more actual talent than GB. It doesn't matter if you don't play hard as a team, with at least a mediocre game plan.

SpaceCowboy99

Reaction score
Uhhh, thought this was a pretty well known fact by now? Dak was so bad that he demoralized our Defense into not caring anymore.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Well do the Coaches have to get their game plan approved by GM Jethro?

If McCarthy states his number 1 priority at the end of last year was to fix the run game, why did we do absolutely nothing to fix the run game?

Coaches don't make decisions in Dallas.
I don't put any stock in anything McCarthy says he says whatever he thinks we're hold on to his job at the time he also said that he would make penalties a priority too I didn't see that happening either.
The guy is a retread that's better than Garrett but still not good enough to prepare a team for big moments.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I don't put any stock in anything McCarthy says he says whatever he thinks we're hold on to his job at the time he also said that he would make penalties a priority too I didn't see that happening either.
The guy is a retread that's better than Garrett but still not good enough to prepare a team for big moments.
Well do you think McCarthy has the ability to hold people accountable?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The defense broke NFL records by giving up 7 TD's on 7 consecutive drives.
You keep saying that like it makes a difference. It doesn't. Spamming every thread it seems. The Cowboys were behind by 4 TD's and 2 due to the QB.

At that point it didn't matter what the defense did. The game was over. 6 drives, 7 drives, 8 drives, 12 drives....whatever. It just doesn't matter.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
In a word, me prolific provocateur, Overconfidence.
We were going to crush GB and their rookie QB!
Someone remind me who hosted the Cowboys Victory party the night before the Green Bay game. Oh, yeah, lads Turpin and Sam Williams... I wonder who attended ...

And were the coaches out drinking while the kids ran wild?
A pre-victory victory party for a team that at one time trailed GB by 27???
Bloke, like the pod host says, Jimmy or Tuna would never put up with such carp and I believe tha, depending on talent, the divas would be yelled at, traded, waved or benched.

kskboys

Reaction score
They weren't flat at all. On D, we got overrun due to lack of size/talent. On O, our QB was terrible.

Pevansjr

Reaction score
Of course, but be honest the disparity in talent isn't that lopsided. We still had more actual talent than GB. It doesn't matter if you don't play hard as a team, with at least a mediocre game plan.
I don't disagree, league wide I think this is the case, especially when considering the salary cap. But outside a few players I just don't see a lot more actual talent. But hey, that's just my opinion.