OL - Smith, Williams, Fredrick, Martin, Collins, Fleming, Edwards, Green
K - Baily
DL - Chico, Crawford, Lawrence, Collings, Ward, Armstrong, Ealy, Price, Jones
LB - Lee, VEsch, Smith, Thomas, Wilson, Covington, Lanning,
DB - Jones, Brown, Awuzie, Lewis, Woods, Frazier, Heath, Thomas, Kelly, White
P - Jones
LS - LaDoucer

PS - Schultz, Scarborogh, Robinson, Wilson,

although I would venture to say we keep one less DB (since jones can play safety and slot if necessary). and we keep Schultz as 4th TE.

the questions is who goes once Irvin is activated.
There's no way in hell they subject Schultz to waivers. Rico needs an all-time great camp and preseason to make the team.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
so that probably breaks down this way

QB - Dak, Rush, White
RB - Zeke, Smith, Olawale, Jackson
WR - Hurns, Beasley, Austin, Williams, Gallop, Thompson
TE - Blake, Geoff, Rico
K - Baily
P - Jones
LS - LaDoucer

although I would venture to say we keep one less DB (since jones can play safety and slot if necessary). and we keep Schultz as 4th TE.

I'll say no to Williams, Rico, and definitely Green.

And I think Gregory is making this team.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Who's that 7th linebacker we can't do without? Compared to only keeping 5 defensive ends?
Probably some ST slob that isn't on the team at the moment.

I hate it that special teams creates the situations where teams may have to let good players go at a crowded position.

The NFL really needs to expand the roster limit. It is getting to the point that teams are literally keeping poor quality players simply because they can function on coverage units.

millennial_legend

Reaction score
I'll say no to Williams, Rico, and definitely Green.

And I think Gregory is making this team.
Gregory is definitely making the team. He'd get scooped up in a New York minute if he gets waived/sent to PS. Probably by the Eagles. Perfect replacement for Brandon Graham next year when Graham gets too expensive to keep.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
so that probably breaks down this way

QB - Dak, Rush, White
RB - Zeke, Smith, Olawale, Jackson
WR - Hurns, Beasley, Austin, Williams, Gallop, Thompson
TE - Blake, Geoff, Rico
K - Baily
P - Jones
LS - LaDoucer

I don't see Thompson AND Austin making team at the expense of Brown. They both bring practically identical skill set. In fact, wouldn't surprise me at all to see Williams IR'd with return destination.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
3 QB Dak Prescott, Cooper Rush, Mike White
4 RB Ezekiel Elliott, Rod Smith, Bo Scarbrough, Tavon Austin; alternates: Jamize Olawale or Darius Jackson
6 WR Allen Hurns, Cole Beasley, Deonte Thompson, Noah Brown, Michael Gallup, Terrance Williams; alternates: KD Cannon, Lance Lenoir
3 TE Geoff Swaim, Dalton Schultz, Blake Jarwin
8 OL Travis Frederick, Marcus Martin, Zack Martin, Joe Looney, La'el Collins, Tyron Smith, Connor Williams, and Cameron Fleming; alternates: Kadeem Edwards, Jake Campos
3 SPT Dan Bailey, Chris Jones, and L.P. LaDouceur
6 DE Demarcus Lawrence, Tyrone Crawford, Kony Ealy, Taco Charlton, Charles Tapper, Dorance Armstrong; alternate: Randy Gregory
4 DT Brian Price, Maliek Collins, Jihad Ward, Antwaun Woods; alternate: David Irving
5 LB Sean Lee, Jaylon Smith, Leighton Vander Esch, Damien Wilson, Joe Thomas; alternates: Chris Covington, Joel Lanning
6 CB Chidobe Awuzie, Anthony Brown, Jourdan Lewis, Byron Jones, Duke Thomas, Marquez White;
5 S Xavier Woods, Kavon Frazier, Jeff Heath, Marqueston Huff; alternate: Kameron Kelly

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I don't see Thompson AND Austin making team at the expense of Brown. They both bring practically identical skill set. In fact, wouldn't surprise me at all to see Williams IR'd with return destination.
could very well be. I think we may go 9 deep in DBs and go 5 deep in RB and designate Austin as a RB

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Frankly, all spots are pretty much open except the anchor players. I won't be upset if La'el Collins goes back to guard, TWill or Beas is cut, Gathers don't make it, D. Wilson cut, or Maliek, Irving, or Tapper doesn't make the squad.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score

Austin is taking over Switzers punt return duties. Has Brown shown he is capable doing it yet?

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Frankly, all spots are pretty much open except the anchor players. I won't be upset if La'el Collins goes back to guard, TWill or Beas is cut, Gathers don't make it, D. Wilson cut, or Maliek, Irving, or Tapper doesn't make the squad.

Why would the Boys cut MCollins? Only way Irving gets cut is the off the field problems rise once again when he gets back and it affects his play on the field.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Probably some ST slob that isn't on the team at the moment.

I hate it that special teams creates the situations where teams may have to let good players go at a crowded position.

The NFL really needs to expand the roster limit. It is getting to the point that teams are literally keeping poor quality players simply because they can function on coverage units.

I'll make do on special teams before I risk cutting someone who can help my pass rush.

And yes, I definitely agree on the roster limits needing to be changed as well.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gregory is definitely making the team. He'd get scooped up in a New York minute if he gets waived/sent to PS. Probably by the Eagles. Perfect replacement for Brandon Graham next year when Graham gets too expensive to keep.

And how great would it be to stand by him during all of his issues and struggles, only to cut him after he gets it together and is ready to fulfill his promise and talent?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
No way there are 7 LB's worth keeping while only going with 9 on the DL.

I think we could end up going with nine DBs as well. No sure bets beyond Awuzie, Jones, Brown, Lewis, Heath, Woods and Frazier.

DiResta

Reaction score
QB (3) – Dak Prescott, Cooper Rush, Mike White

RB (4) – Ezekiel Elliott, Rod Smith, Jamize Olawale, Tavon Austin

WR (6) – Allen Hurns, Terrance Williams, Cole Beasley, Michael Gallup, Deonte Thompson, Noah Brown

TE (3) – Blake Jarwin, Geoff Swaim, Dalton Schultz

OL (8) – Tyron Smith, Connor Williams, Travis Frederick, Zack Martin, La’el Collins, Cameron Fleming, Joe Looney, Marcus Martin

DL (10) – DeMarcus Lawrence, Maliek Collins, Brian Price, Tyrone Crawford, Taco Charlton, Datone Jones, Dorance Armstrong, Kony Ealy, Randy Gregory, Jihad Ward, David Irving (suspended)

LB (6) – Sean Lee, Leighton Vander Esch, Jaylon Smith, Damien Wilson, Joe Thomas, Chris Covington

DB (10) – Chidobe Awuzie, Byron Jones, Jeff Heath, Xavier Woods, Jourdan Lewis, Anthony Brown, Kavon Frazier, Marquez White, Marqueston Huff, Kameron Kelly

ST (3) – Dan Bailey, Chris Jones, L.P. Ladouceur

PS Candidates – Cedrick Wilson, Bo Scarbrough, Daniel Ross, Lance Lenoir, Joel Lanning, David Wells, Tyree Robinson, Austin Larkin, Charvarius Ward

I think Duke Thomas doesn’t make it because the passing game coordinator favors bigger bodied corners, and Kelly/White will get better consideration due to that factor.

Covington, if he shows anything on special teams, will get the nod over March-Lilliard due to being a draft pick.

I have Gregory being on the roster – I think he gets reinstated for the start of the season. Ash gets bumped by Ward. When Irving is scheduled to be reinstated, it will be between Ealy and Datone Jones as to who gets released. If Ealy shows anything as a 3T, he will get the edge.
think you nailed it 100%

doesnt mean they wont be looking critically at positions like TE and safety during cut down though

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
3 QB Dak Prescott, Cooper Rush, Mike White
4 RB Ezekiel Elliott, Rod Smith, Bo Scarbrough, Tavon Austin; alternates: Jamize Olawale or Darius Jackson
6 WR Allen Hurns, Cole Beasley, Deonte Thompson, Noah Brown, Michael Gallup, Terrance Williams; alternates: KD Cannon, Lance Lenoir
3 TE Geoff Swaim, Dalton Schultz, Blake Jarwin
8 OL Travis Frederick, Marcus Martin, Zack Martin, Joe Looney, La'el Collins, Tyron Smith, Connor Williams, and Cameron Fleming; alternates: Kadeem Edwards, Jake Campos
3 SPT Dan Bailey, Chris Jones, and L.P. LaDouceur
6 DE Demarcus Lawrence, Tyrone Crawford, Kony Ealy, Taco Charlton, Charles Tapper, Dorance Armstrong; alternate: Randy Gregory
4 DT Brian Price, Maliek Collins, Jihad Ward, Antwaun Woods; alternate: David Irving
5 LB Sean Lee, Jaylon Smith, Leighton Vander Esch, Damien Wilson, Joe Thomas; alternates: Chris Covington, Joel Lanning
6 CB Chidobe Awuzie, Anthony Brown, Jourdan Lewis, Byron Jones, Duke Thomas, Marquez White;
5 S Xavier Woods, Kavon Frazier, Jeff Heath, Marqueston Huff; alternate: Kameron Kelly
I think you can consider Olawale a roster lock. He could be the quasi-4th TE.

If I am trimming fat, I use the DBs. Five corners or four safeties. Players like Duke Thomas, Marquez White, Marqueston Huff can go. If injuries strike, Byron Jones and Awuzie could go to safety or if a corner is lost, Xavier Woods can play the slot.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think you can consider Olawale a roster lock. He could be the quasi-4th TE.

If I am trimming fat, I use the DBs. Five corners or four safeties. Players like Duke Thomas, Marquez White, Marqueston Huff can go. If injuries strike, Byron Jones and Awuzie could go to safety or if a corner is lost, Xavier Woods can play the slot.
Yup, good flexibility with those players. I don't think we should stay with a lot of DBs. I went with the OP's numbers for the most part, but I say keep the OL and DL flush with extras.
Of course, that's if the season started today. Every season, injuries and surprise cuts keep us guessing. Wish we could pick up a stud 1-tech DT!