Twitter: Helman: "To me, it looks like they’re setting Dak up to be a scapegoat."

cowboyed

Reaction score
I’d argue Mahomes was Elite enough to lead KC to SB. And simply beat by a better team and arguably better QB.

And Stafford was probably closer to Elite all of those years on mostly dismal Lion teams and why one of the best offensive guru HC’s this era gave up so much to land him. Just saying…

Well the standard in here for Prescott is not elite unless he wins a Super Bowl. The same was said of Romo. I actually do believe Mahomes is elite although he didn't lead the Chiefs to the Super Bowl and lost to the Bengals in the championship game. You have to have an outstanding supporting cast to win the Super Bowl along with a quality starting quarterback and not necessarily an elite one. And yes my point exactly as in the case of Stafford when he was the starting quarterback for the Lions - a very good quarterback but not an elite one.

Comparatively the Cowboys haven't fielded an elite team for many years. We have averaged out good but not great and in those instances all you get is division wins at best, and maybe flirting with the playoffs from time to time. If Mahomes was playing for the Cowboys he would nowhere near have the success as with the Chiefs.

Last edited:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I said it first concerning the Jones boys setting up Dak for failure this coming season.
Seems Mr.Helman agrees....

Dak has never succeeded. Dude has 1 playoff win in 6 seasons. So, how do you set a guy up to fail when that's par?

Romo had worse WR cores.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak has never succeeded. Dude has 1 playoff win in 6 seasons. So, how do you set a guy up to fail when that's par?

Romo had worse WR cores.
They provided Dak with everything even giving a no 1 pick to bring in Coop.
Think one can safely say they have raised their hands on Dakko......:thumbdown:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They provided Dak with everything even giving a no 1 pick to bring in Coop.
Think one can safely say they have raised their hands on Dakko......:thumbdown:

I agree. But, they also just gave a ton of cap cash making getting rid of him not feasible. Plus, given Jerry's reluctance to admit failure, Dak is probably not going anywhere in the foreseeable future. I only disagree with the setting him up for failure part. You can't set someone up for failure when they have no history of success.

PAPPYDOG

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree. But, they also just gave a ton of cap cash making getting rid of him not feasible. Plus, given Jerry's reluctance to admit failure, Dak is probably not going anywhere in the foreseeable future. I only disagree with the setting him up for failure part. You can't set someone up for failure when they have no history of success.
Dak is a June 1st, 2024 cut in the meantime let's enjoy our high draft picks......

GINeric

Reaction score

Romo had worse WR cores.
You said Romo had WR cores??? Romo had T.O. and Witten/ a young Dez Bryant and Witten.

Name ONE WR/TE combo that Dak had or have thats better than Romo's access to T.O./Witten and Bryant/Witten??? Oh yeah..... Romo had a better head coach and offensive coordinator.

But great points. For the record, Dak actually only played 5 full seasons.....

With that said, P. Manning and Drew Brees only had one playoff win after 5 full seasons just like Dak and Dak had better overall numbers than both. Matt Stafford had zero playoff wins in that same time frame.

So did you say the same thing about Manning, Brees and Stafford after their first 5 full seasons???

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Well the standard in here for Prescott is not elite unless he wins a Super Bowl. The same was said of Romo. I actually do believe Mahomes is elite although he didn't lead the Chiefs to the Super Bowl and lost to the Bengals in the championship game. You have to have an outstanding supporting cast to win the Super Bowl along with a quality starting quarterback and not necessarily an elite one. And yes my point exactly as in the case of Stafford when he was the starting quarterback for the Lions - a very good quarterback but not an elite one.

Comparatively the Cowboys haven't fielded an elite team for many years. We have averaged out good but not great and in those instances all you get is division wins at best, and maybe flirting with the playoffs from time to time. If Mahomes was playing for the Cowboys he would nowhere near have the success as with the Chiefs.
It’s difficult to measure if some of the more Elite QB’s would have had more success this era than Romo or Dak have had . Pure speculative of course but my hunch is they might have gone a little deeper in playoffs on a couple of of those teams while not having as much success as they did on their respective teams . Nobody knows .

I don’t believe we were just a HOF caliber QB away from a Championship while that caliber QB would have been easier to build around and could have taken us a step closer. Again, we’ll never know.

foofighters

Reaction score
I said it first concerning the Jones boys setting up Dak for failure this coming season.
Seems Mr.Helman agrees....

This is nothing more than, "WE LIKE OUR GUYS!!"

This isn't about scapegoating. Jerry has struggled in the past in the trenches because it doesn't play to "flash" he lives by to sell jerseys.

kskboys

Reaction score
No, even though it may appear to be so. What he is observing is the Jones boys quite simply not understanding how to build a team. They put too much on the QB quite simply because they do not understand NFL football. They have no idea how TOP, a consistent running game, a D that can make stops, route runners at WR, and a host of other items affect the QB.

PAPPYDOG

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, even though it may appear to be so. What he is observing is the Jones boys quite simply not understanding how to build a team. They put too much on the QB quite simply because they do not understand NFL football. They have no idea how TOP, a consistent running game, a D that can make stops, route runners at WR, and a host of other items affect the QB.
LOL.....Excuses by the way you forgot the weather if Libra is in Sagittarius and if it's a leap year.
Dak has had nothing but the best on his offense and when it counts FAILS....cannot score the points to win!!!!

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Scapegoat? That statement makes no sense.

Are they doing everything fans would like to see? No. Does that mean that "answers" fans want are actually available \ attainable? Maybe. Maybe not. So yes, at the end of the season there may be a concensus that they didn't do enough to strengthen areas of concern.

But they are invested in Dak and it makes no sense to set him up to be a "scapegoat". Even if you wanted to get rid of your QB, you have to try to make them look good so they have some value.

If they are setting anyone up as a scapegoat, it's the coaching staff. You can get rid of them without ramifications to your salary cap, etc..

McKDaddy

Reaction score
erry/Stephen misplayed the Dak contract in the worst way. Should have resigned him sooner, or asked for a longer deal.

Takes two to tango. They tried both of those things. Where they failed was "asking". They should have told him it would be a longer deal and there would be less guaranteed money & there wouldn't be a "no trade" clause. Sign a deal under those terms or leave.

erod

Reaction score
You said Romo had WR cores??? Romo had T.O. and Witten/ a young Dez Bryant and Witten.

Name ONE WR/TE combo that Dak had or have thats better than Romo's access to T.O./Witten and Bryant/Witten??? Oh yeah..... Romo had a better head coach and offensive coordinator.

But great points. For the record, Dak actually only played 5 full seasons.....

With that said, P. Manning and Drew Brees only had one playoff win after 5 full seasons just like Dak and Dak had better overall numbers than both. Matt Stafford had zero playoff wins in that same time frame.

So did you say the same thing about Manning, Brees and Stafford after their first 5 full seasons???
Wow, so much delusion.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is it 1 on 11?

No it isn't. But we have to assess players performance SOME how.

I'm not sure general stats tells the whole story...especially for the QB position..there is so much involved. What I would like to see is a little more breakdown other than "dak sucks" or "Dak can;t score when it means something".

Not sure if that kind of thing is available or how to do it, other than painstaking time-consuming film review.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
No it isn't. But we have to assess players performance SOME how.

I'm not sure general stats tells the whole story...especially for the QB position..there is so much involved. What I would like to see is a little more breakdown other than "dak sucks" or "Dak can;t score when it means something".

Not sure if that kind of thing is available or how to do it, other than painstaking time-consuming film review.
I wasn't asking you. I was responding to associating wins and losses to one player.

If you're in search of ways to research specific plays, I highly recommend it.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
You nailed that. What stood out? Shaky O line play and when they were able to created running lanes the RBs wheelchaired forward. Garbage kicking. What do they have in common? They were issues LAST season and they've done virtually nothing.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wasn't asking you. I was responding to associating wins and losses to one player.

If you're in search of ways to research specific plays, I highly recommend it.
I didn't say you were asking me.

I'll inform you that when you make a comment...everyone can see it and respond how they see fit. If you prefer a private conversation.....then send a private message.

As matter of fact...a single player CAN make wins or losses. It's not ALWAYS in the last minute...but usually. If the team puts you in a position to win...and you don;t make the play...you just lost it for the team. Ws and Ls don't ALWAYS happen this way, but they can.

If Dak is the true leader of this team...not just by de facto QB...then he should take blame AND credit. he has to decide some plays and execute the most variety of plays. No...he doesn't play defense...but he can certainly HELP them by staying on the field and scoring points.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score

I'll inform you that when you make a comment...everyone can see it and respond how they see fit. If you prefer a private conversation.....then send a private message.

As matter of fact...a single player CAN make wins or losses. It's not ALWAYS in the last minute...but usually. If the team puts you in a position to win...and you don;t make the play...you just lost it for the team. Ws and Ls don't ALWAYS happen this way, but they can.

If Dak is the true leader of this team...not just by de facto QB...then he should take blame AND credit. he has to decide some plays and execute the most variety of plays. No...he doesn't play defense...but he can certainly HELP them by staying on the field and scoring points.
You're delusional.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score

I think most people are good with Dak needs to take blame also, I think most are just caught in the wash with both extreme sides...again Dak certainly couldve played better in the last playoff game and was part of the problem but certainly not the only as it was pretty wide spread butt whooping on the field. BUT saying that all we need to do is replace the QB and we would be good is skipping alot of facts that happened in the game and certainly thats not the sole answer either...again I know he won a SB 10 years ago but that niners team did the same thing to Rodgers the next week because his trenches got beat up also.....I would still take Rodgers over Dak but I also can see he lost to the same team with what most consider a better team around him at the time.