Henry changes that game bottom line

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
BouncingCheese;1716020 said:
Henry has been playing well this season, but he was also taking huge chances by jumping on the recievers routes. I know Henry isn't all that fast and not letting him jump on the routes may lead to a few first downs given up but it is better than being toasted for 60 yards to Randy Moss, Wes Welker,Ben Watson or Donte Stallworth.

Sure Henry would have helped but he was not a decisive factor in the game. The Pats simply executed perfectly.

He would have been a big factor in the 3rd down conversions in my opinion and at the end of the day could have been a decisive factor.

I think Wes Welker was a decisive factor. Put Newman on him and maybe we got off the field a lot more in that game.

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
RomoFan4ever;1716104 said:
Honestly, we're 5-1, and I'm happy-many teams in the league would KILL for that record. But instead, we're bickering and complaining. First it's the refs fault, then it's b/c the Pats "play dirty", then it was b/c of the slow starts, then it's b/c "we didn't have much of a pass rush", then it's b/c "Romo's a little boy", then it's b/c "the REAL penalties killed us-thank you Kyle Kosiar", then it's b/c "Wade and Garrett made bad coaching calls", etc, etc.

Personally, when Malroney, Watson, Morris, Seymour, Harrison(at less than 100%) were out, I was LICKING MY CHOPS at that pt. And now we're complaining about ONE GUY??

We are happy also.

But even the Dallas Cowboys as a team and organization were doing the same thing.

You don't think they watched the game during film? Of course they did.

The staff had to evaluate their performance and find out what went wrong in order to improve our weaknesses.

So call them excuse if you want but its just an overall evaluation.

As fans we have the luxury of talking what ifs when it comes to injuries.

Not so much within the organization but I am sure they talked about the penalties and even the decisions they made as coaches.

Its what gets done in all sports on any teams in any levels.

Evaluate - Brainstorm new strategies - Implement - Execute - Evaluate again.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
bbgun;1716119 said:
So you agree with me that the point of this thread was to suggest that Henry could have tipped the final score in our favor--not just made it less of a blowout. That is deluded; that is insulting to our opponents; that is poor sportsmanship. Henry is a steady if unspectacular corner with a knack for taking advantage of lousy QBs (Green and Grossman). I don't see Brady trembling in fear at his presence, nor do I see Henry making up 21 points all by his lonesome. Go sell crazy somewhere else.
Well, if it could have tipped it in our favor some, then we might have been leading by more than 3 points in the 3rd quarter and the game might have unfolded completely different.

The run-up at the end was the result of the defense being exhausted. If Henry would have been playing a good portion of the converted 3rd downs would have been punts. That goes a long way towards preventing the exhaustion at the end of the game, which obviously would have prevented the run-up.

Since the game was close until the end, yeah, it's not completely deluded to think it might have tipped in our favor.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
bbgun;1716119 said:
So you agree with me that the point of this thread was to suggest that Henry could have tipped the final score in our favor--not just made it less of a blowout. That is deluded; that is insulting to our opponents; that is poor sportsmanship. Henry is a steady if unspectacular corner with a knack for taking advantage of lousy QBs (Green and Grossman). I don't see Brady trembling in fear at his presence, nor do I see Henry making up 21 points all by his lonesome. Go sell crazy somewhere else.
yeah but it seems like you're missing the point about henry will make this whole defense better not just the cb position. now I think he woulda made a difference but we woulda still lost the game. we gave them too much respect early on.

khiladi

Reaction score
theogt;1716135 said:
Since the game was close until the end, yeah, it's not completely deluded to think it might have tipped in our favor.

Not according to ESPN... According to them, we got destroyed mercilessly by the vengeful Patriot gods who sit atop the mountain that overlooks Athens...

RomoFan4ever

Benched
Reaction score
CATCH17;1716128 said:
He would have been a big factor in the 3rd down conversions in my opinion and at the end of the day could have been a decisive factor.

I think Wes Welker was a decisive factor. Put Newman on him and maybe we got off the field a lot more in that game.

Well-Ben Watson went down, and Malroney didn't play.

Just assuming that Henry played, and Watson stayed healthy/Malroney played. Honestly-the Pats probably had a HUGE advantage either way.

Pt being that both sides had guys down(the Pats more so than we did), so the playing field evened out either way. Heck-NOT having Richard Seymour in there SHOULD have tilted the playing field to US.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
RomoFan4ever;1716139 said:
Well-Ben Watson went down, and Malroney didn't play.

Just assuming that Henry played, and Watson stayed healthy/Malroney played. Honestly-the Pats probably had a HUGE advantage either way.

Pt being that both sides had guys down(the Pats more so than we did), so the playing field evened out either way. Heck-NOT having Richard Seymour in there SHOULD have tilted the playing field to US.
You may not have noticed, but these points have been addressed thoughout the thread.

RomoFan4ever

Benched
Reaction score
khiladi;1716138 said:
Not according to ESPN... we got destroyed mercilessly by the vengeful Patriot gods who sit atop the Mount by Athens...

Doesn't matter-we lost, and there's no such thing as "moral victories".

And Wade and Garrett have definitely gone back to the drawing board over this, b/c we did alot wrong in that game.

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
bbgun;1716119 said:

1st off... you made a public apology to all the Patriot fans reading the entire thread - not just the title, since when have you become the official Cowboys Zone Ambassador? I didn't read the sticky.

If you actually read the thread you will find that no one said "If Henry played we win this game."

What was said was this, Henry helps the defense get off in 3rd down situations because his presence allows Newman to play the slot receiver (just to let you know the slot receiver chewed us up the entire game, in case you missed it).

We lost by 21... there was plenty of room for improvement without actually winning the game.

As for Henry taking advantage of lousy Quarterbacks? Try again to bring down the importance of Henry this season.

Cause that ain't selling crazy... actually, start a thread bashing Anthony Henry and see the type of reactions you get.

You will find yourself all alone (nothing new I guess).

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
bbgun;1716119 said:

It would have helped us get off the field on 3rd down.

We were good on 1st and 2nd. 3rd down is where they beat us with their offense.

If Henry plays then Newman is on Welker. You GOT to believe Newman can cover Welker better and not just get schooled for a 1st down consistently.

Our offense would still then have to score. Would they? I dont know. But im pretty confident our 3rd down success would have been tremendously better with Henry.

baj1dallas

Reaction score
BouncingCheese;1716020 said:
Henry has been playing well this season, but he was also taking huge chances by jumping on the recievers routes. I know Henry isn't all that fast and not letting him jump on the routes may lead to a few first downs given up but it is better than being toasted for 60 yards to Randy Moss, Wes Welker,Ben Watson or Donte Stallworth.

Sure Henry would have helped but he was not a decisive factor in the game. The Pats simply executed perfectly.

Henry understands when in the game is a time to take a chance and try to turn the ball over. Reeves doesn't have that feel yet.

RomoFan4ever

Benched
Reaction score
CATCH17;1716147 said:
It would have helped us get off the field on 3rd down.

We were good on 1st and 2nd. 3rd down is where they beat us with their offense.

If Henry plays then Newman is on Welker. You GOT to believe Newman can cover Welker better and not just get schooled for a 1st down consistently.

Our offense would still then have to score. Would they? I dont know. But im pretty confident our 3rd down success would have been tremendously better with Henry.

What got me was when we were up 24-21, and it was 2nd and 20 for the Pats, they threw a short hitch to Stallworth that went for some 15 yards(which, of course, set up 3rd and short). Henry or no, there was NO excuse for us to at least keep him to a minimal gain(no more than 10 yards). Otherwise, the momentum was with us the whole time.

I dunno what happened on that play, but THAT was the backbreaker of the game.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;1716135 said:
Well, if it could have tipped it in our favor some, then we might have been leading by more than 3 points in the 3rd quarter and the game might have unfolded completely different.

The run-up at the end was the result of the defense being exhausted. If Henry would have been playing a good portion of the converted 3rd downs would have been punts. That goes a long way towards preventing the exhaustion at the end of the game, which obviously would have prevented the run-up.

It only would have made a difference to pointspread junkies and bookies. When you trail 14-0 in the blink of an eye and end up losing by 21, what happens inbetween is irrelevant. We don't do "moral victories" around here. Henry's been burned in the past and the notion that he would have turned in a Deion-esque performance (or that Brady wouldn't have adjusted) is wishful thinking. Funny how Henry would have made all the difference but guys like Seymour, Maroney and Watson and deemed inconsequential. Did I say funny? I meant woefully predictable. Take your licking, give the Pats their due, drop the pathetic "what if" games, and get on with your life.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
bbgun;1716161 said:
It only would have made a difference to pointspread junkies and bookies. When you trail 14-0 in the blink of an eye and end up losing by 21, what happens inbetween is irrelevant. We don't do "moral victories" around here. Henry's been burned in the past and the notion that he would have turned in a Deion-esque performance (or that Brady wouldn't have adjusted) is wishful thinking. Funny how Henry would have made all the difference but guys like Seymour, Maroney and Watson and deemed inconsequential. Did I say funny? I meant woefully predictable. Take your licking, give the Pats their due, drop the pathetic "what if" games, and get on with your life.

Read my original post. I gave credit to New England. They are the shiznit ok? I take nothing away from them. They are the best team in the NFL.

That being said. I think Henry would have made a difference in this game.

I dont know if we would have won. But I truly believe our 3rd down success rate would have been better. Who knows what would have happened if we dont let them hold on to the ball the entire game?

They played Defense with their Offense and it killed us.

eduncan22

Benched
Reaction score
Henry...a shutdown corner?

Come on people.

It might help if we could all agree on just what reality is...

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
eduncan22;1716173 said:
Henry...a shutdown corner?

Come on people.

It might help if we could all agree on just what reality is...

:lmao2:

I knew you would show up.

And of course you make the same mistake BB has made.

We are saying if Henry plays then Newman can play the slot WR.

If you didn't notice the slot killed us ALL DAY.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
CATCH17;1716164 said:
Read my original post. I gave credit to New England. They are the shiznit ok? I take nothing away from them. They are the best team in the NFL.

That being said. I think Henry would have made a difference in this game.

I read it. You clearly imply that Henry could have made the difference between winning and losing, and not just the margin of defeat. That's what I objected to. Had we lost by seven points, I might have be swayed. But that wasn't the case.

I dont know if we would have won. But I truly believe our 3rd down success rate would have been better. Who knows what would have happened if we dont let them hold on to the ball the entire game?

They played Defense with their Offense and it killed us.

Here's the problem: Had Henry played, every single play in that game would have been different. One of my pet peeves when watching baseball on TV is when a runner tries to steal second base and gets caught stealing. The batter then gets a hit, and the announcer says that the caught stealing cost them a run. Um, how does he know this? Had that runner been on second base, the pitcher's approach to the hitter at the plate in all likelihood would have been completely different. With Henry, we like to fool ourselves into thinking he would have corrected only those things that went wrong for us, instead of contributing to the problems that led to the blowout. Like he's never been thrown at before? Like the Pats wouldn't have adjusted? How do we know that Seymour wouldn't have forced two turnovers, leading to two Pats scores? We can play these games all day.

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
http://i87.***BLOCKED***/albums/k158/smarta5150/untitled-2.jpg

Ok, I drew this diagram in crayon so BB and Ed can understand it better.

#42, thats Anthony Henry covering Moss.

#35, Reeves on Stallworth.

#41, Newman on Welker.

Now where #83 is lined up is called the slot.

This is the position on the field that caught a majority of the passes, epically on 3rd down situation.

Newman could have taken the slot away better than Jones.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
bbgun;1716182 said:
How do we know that Seymour wouldn't have forced two turnovers, leading to two Pats scores?

How many times has Seymour EVER forced two turnovers in a game? He has two forced fumbles for turnovers in his entire career. He has two interceptions in his entire career, one of which came when another player batted the ball into the air.

Nobody is claiming anything miraculous would have happened if both teams were healthy. But if both teams were healthy and the missing players (Seymour, Maroney, Henry and Glenn) performed to their usual level, we would have benefitted more than the Patriots would have.