Henson, Romo ...Bill

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
Charles said:
The Game that came without Henson rose colored 3D vision

Dallas Cowboys at 7:37
1-10-DAL 21 (7:37) 21-J.Jones right end to DAL 24 for 3 yards (92-H.Hillenmeyer).

2-7-DAL 24 (7:01) 21-J.Jones up the middle to DAL 24 for no gain (23-J.Azumah; 92-H.Hillenmeyer).

3-7-DAL 24 (6:22) 7-D.Henson pass incomplete to 21-J.Jones. Heavy pressure Briggs up the middle.

Briggs plays left Outside LB, Julius was supposed to chip on that play and release for a pass, not pick up a blitz. If Julius was supposed to pick up a blitz, Henson wouldn't attempt a pass in his direction. Julius may have done poor job of chipping but don't discount Henson inexperience in learning how to excute a pass under pressure. Julius went on to have a great game once a veteran QB was back in the game.

Charles, Henson was taking his second step in his drop back when he got creamed...not sure how much experience would have helped there

4-7-DAL 24 (6:12) 1-M.McBriar punts 41 yards to CHI 35, Center-85-J.Robinson. 21-R.McQuarters to 50 for 15 yards (18-T.Copper). Return middle.

Dallas Cowboys at 5:59

1-10-CHI 50 (5:59) 21-J.Jones left tackle to CHI 47 for 3 yards (55-L.Briggs).

2-7-CHI 47 (5:25) 7-D.Henson sacked at DAL 48 for -5 yards (93-A.Ogunleye). I did mention that Lovie Smith sent the blitz because he had an opposing inexperienced QB who was uncomfortable to audible and was missing WR/TE and RBs out of the back field. He did step up in the pocket and sometimes you gotta get out of dodge.

He didn't even show the instincts to run when all else failed, Troy did, Staubach did, Favre does.

Henson was a deer caught in head lights. Common for inexperienced QBs, but not going to fly on a Parcells team, especially a team with play-off aspirations.

Charles it was a 5 step drop he got to 4 1/2 and sidestep to the right and then stepped up into the pocket but there was another defender there

3-12-DAL 48 (4:49) 7-D.Henson pass incomplete to 82-J.Witten (70-A.Boone). Boone tipped the ball at the line of scrimmage. Dallas RG Gurode has a left sprained knee and may return.

Henson has been working on his mechanics/delivery, further proving the point he wasn't ready to start on a Bill Parcells team with play-off intentions.

how about walter and johnson being pushed back 3 yards into the backfield every other play... how you can fault Henson on everyone of these plays is crazy talk

4-12-DAL 48 (4:44) 1-M.McBriar punts 52 yards to end zone, Center-85-J.Robinson, Touchback.

Dallas Cowboys at 0:45

1-10-DAL 44 :)45) 7-D.Henson pass to 19-K.Johnson to CHI 45 for 11 yards (31-N.Vasher). Slant from left end.

Nathan Vasher was beat the minute he realized he was in Man coverage with Keyshawn. :lmao: Gotta give Henson for excuting the pass ;)

1-10-CHI 45 :)10) 21-J.Jones up the middle to CHI 40 for 5 yards (32-To.Johnson).

2-5-CHI 40 (15:00) 21-J.Jones left end to CHI 29 for 11 yards (43-M.Green). R5
1-10-CHI 29 (14:19) 21-J.Jones right end to CHI 32 for -3 yards (91-T.Harris).
2-13-CHI 32 (13:31) 7-D.Henson pass incomplete to 18-T.Copper. Pass thrown left sideline at the 30; Todd Johnson closest defender.

Once again Henson felt the pressure........incomplete pass, typical of QBs that aren't ready to start
he felt the pressure and side step and did a good job ** getting the ball close to the receiver it was probably more of a throw away than anything else but good pocket presense

3-13-CHI 32 (13:24) 21-J.Jones up the middle to CHI 34 for -2 yards (55-L.Briggs).

4-15-CHI 34 (13:03) 3-B.Cundiff 52 yard field goal is No Good, Wide Right, Center-85-J.Robinson, Holder-7-D.Henson.

But interestingly enough once Vinny got in the game he was able to hit the intermediate passes to Witten that loosened up the defense, even in the face of pressure. The lack of deep threat didn't seal Henson fate in the 1st half

Vinny sucked most of that game and Witten was blocking a good deal of the time while Henson was in

We can go on forever.

Perhaps YOU can but it doesn't make your arguement anymore legit

I watched the right game. I am not sugar coating Henson's performance. It was horrible. Vinny doesn't need his helmet on to warm up. He was tossing the ball and keeping his arm loose. My brother, cousin and his wife were at the game. They saw the coaching staff shrugging their heads. They saw Mo Carthon mouth "this ** doesn't know what going on", they saw Keyshawn starting to get antsy because he saw an easy game slip away.

Again as far as I know is what I saw and all you are providing is hearsay

I can argue Parcells could have lost the team on that evening if he stuck with Henson. It was a debacle.

Again this is pure speculation upon your part and not part of the actual game

So what happened on Thankgiving. Are you insinuating that Henson just lost IT overnight.

No it shows he needs some experience but for a first game and considering the layoff I say it was a better than normal rookie showing

I doubt it. Logic dictates that the Bears had time to prepare for an iexperienced rusty QB who had only looked great in underwear olympics or against defenses that were discussinf after game buffets. I saw the Ravens post game show. No one spoke of Henson's potential or his abilities.

Will Demps (I am paraphasing) "We need to learn how to play until the last whistle, if we are to become a SuperBowl contender even if the game is out of hand"

I am forthrightous bro. Henson performance was a debacle..........

Yeah maybe Will thought players was taking it easy but like I said Ed Reed wasn't and that is who the td was thrown against

I rooted for Carter hard but his first game sucked and I said so...I think Carter had like an 11 qbr...Carter had many flaws in his game...with Henson it looked more like a lack of experience more than anything

This is what Parcells had to say after the game:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/recap/NFL_20041125_CHI@DAL

"I know everyone has been clamoring for this. I don't care," Parcells said. "I've got other peoples' interests to consider. I really don't care. I'm going to do what I think is best."

I am sure that Bill was doing just that.. but that can have many meaning

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
Zaxor said:
I am sure that Bill was doing just that.. but that can have many meaning

"I know everyone has been clamoring for this. I don't care," Parcells said."I've got other peoples' interests to consider.I really don't care. I'm going to do what I think is best."

I'll tell you what it meant to me............

Al Johnson and Tyson Walters were still pass blocking when Vinny took over.

Witten whom was a having one of the greatest career Years at the TE in NFL
and Cowboys history was reduced to a run/pass blocking TE. He didn't get his 1st catchable pass until the 3rd QTR.

Julius Jones flourished once the Vinny took the field. He didn't blow any blitz assignments.

The Cowboys had 8 possesions inthe 1st half.

1td drive 62 yards.......50 yards from Julius Jones 12 yard pass from Henson

He tossed a INT for a TD and proceeded to lead the team to 6 straight 3 and outs. That is pathetic by any standards. Henson's team was out of sync. He's the QB he gets the blame, thats the name of the game and he hasn't done anyhting to prove he could overcome the situation.

I'll tell you what it meant. Parcells had the rest of the teams interest to consider.

Vinny may have also stunck up the joint, but atleast the players knew he has proven he can get the job done. Henson still has to earn the gig, prove he can hold on to the gig and get the team over the hump.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Charles said:
"I know everyone has been clamoring for this. I don't care," Parcells said. "I've got other peoples' interests to consider. I really don't care. I'm going to do what I think is best."

Just as an aside to the main topic here....this is the kind of stuff that makes me slightly nutz about Parcells; his awareness of what "everyone" is saying around him.

Ultimately, why bring it up? Why was it even on his mind? What DIFFERENCE does it make?

In fact, he's not being candid here...HE DOES CARE or he wouldn't have brought it up.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
Charles said:
"I know everyone has been clamoring for this. I don't care," Parcells said."I've got other peoples' interests to consider.I really don't care. I'm going to do what I think is best."

I'll tell you what it meant to me............

Al Johnson and Tyson Walters were still pass blocking when Vinny took over.

Witten whom was a having one of the greatest career Years at the TE in NFL
and Cowboys history was reduced to a run/pass blocking TE. He didn't get his 1st catchable pass until the 3rd QTR.

Julius Jones flourished once the Vinny took the field. He didn't blow any blitz assignments.

The Cowboys had 8 possesions inthe 1st half.

1td drive 62 yards.......50 yards from Julius Jones 12 yard pass from Henson

He tossed a INT for a TD and proceeded to lead the team to 6 straight 3 and outs. That is pathetic by any standards. Henson's team was out of sync. He's the QB he gets the blame, thats the name of the game and he hasn't done anyhting to prove he could overcome the situation.

I'll tell you what it meant. Parcells had the rest of the teams interest to consider.

Vinny may have also stunck up the joint, but atleast the players knew he has proven he can get the job done. Henson still has to earn the gig, prove he can hold on to the gig and get the team over the hump.

I am not saying it was a HOF performance Charles... but that for a first start and with all things considered it wasn't that bad

kartr

Reaction score
Hostile said:
I think Parcells wanted to send a clear message to the media that they did not dictate who he plays.

Why, did they dictate who he played in 2003?
He didn't play Henson because he said 'this aint no practice league' and I'm too old to lose.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Juke99 said:
Just as an aside to the main topic here....this is the kind of stuff that makes me slightly nutz about Parcells; his awareness of what "everyone" is saying around him.

Ultimately, why bring it up? Why was it even on his mind? What DIFFERENCE does it make?

In fact, he's not being candid here...HE DOES CARE or he wouldn't have brought it up.

You can rest assured he does. I don't think you have to be an amateur psychologist to realize that in a way, Coach Parcells is insecure deep down and has a burning desire to be right.

He has to be one of the most paranoid and media sensitive coaches ever. You don't get to be that way by "not caring" what anyone thinks. He actually is a very caring person and you can tell that because he bristles and has emotional responses when faced with doubt.

He does care, he just thinks he is right and usually is.

If he did not care, you would not get the soundbytes that he lives to deliver.

kartr

Reaction score
Zaxor said:
I don't think so Nors...Parcells loves baseball and did not hold it against Q

As far as getting on Romo publicly I for one have never heard it or read about it...I would be real interested in hearing or reading it if you know where I can find it

Trading Henson might be a good thing for Henson...but it leaves the Cowboys without a quality QB:D...

really think about it... what ever is left is not good enough for the Dallas Cowboys...You would have a never was and a never will be

Good one.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Alexander said:
You can rest assured he does. I don't think you have to be an amateur psychologist to realize that in a way, Coach Parcells is insecure deep down and has a burning desire to be right.

He has to be one of the most paranoid and media sensitive coaches ever. You don't get to be that way by "not caring" what anyone thinks. He actually is a very caring person and you can tell that because he bristles and has emotional responses when faced with doubt.

He does care, he just thinks he is right and usually is.

If he did not care, you would not get the soundbytes that he lives to deliver.

On the nosey.

I wonder to what degree he allows it to impact his decision making.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
Juke99 said:

Right you are my friend...its his ego that makes me freak out sometimes but it is his ego that makes him a good football coach also...:confused::confused:

Alexander

Reaction score
kartr said:
Why, did they dictate who he played in 2003?
He didn't play Henson because he said 'this aint no practice league' and I'm too old to lose.

Mr. Jones put his jewels in a vice for Carter and was not just going to let Coach Parcells waltz in here and gut the whole team, specifically the QB that he had staked his reputation on.

You are crazy if you believe that Carter was handpicked. Coach Parcells played with what he was dealt. If not, he would have acquired a better RB than Hambrick and probably would have taken another QB if he knew what he was dealing with. Guaranteed if Bledsoe or Testeverde were available in 2003, Carter would have been competing against them for his job instead of Chad Hutchinson.

Alexander

Reaction score
Juke99 said:
On the nosey.

I wonder to what degree he allows it to impact his decision making.

A good deal you would have to assume.

But even when he is wrong and thinks emotionally, he is usually better off than 90% of the coaches in this league.

His decisions in games are what matter to me most and in that regard, he is without fault.

Personnel-wise? He is very limited in his scope. But I think that has to do more with a short window and limited time and energy rather than a fault per se.

kartr

Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
actually the only "on the record" comments I saw about Henson's draft status were in regards to had he stayed in school and entered the 2001 draft...Joel Buschbaum said he interviewed 10 league personnel/GM's, and 7 of the 10 said they'd have picked Henson over #1 pick Michael Vick...

I've never seen any comments that stated he would have been anything less than a high #1 pick had he not began playing baseball

David

Knowing what they know now, Do you think they'd pick Henson over even Romo?

kartr

Reaction score
blindzebra said:
According to that JJT article about Dallas getting Henson, Dallas had him slotted as a late first/early second round pick in the 2004 draft. That's after being away for 3 years.

My bet is we were not alone ranking Henson that high. BUF, MIA, GB, STL, and KC would all have been interested.

MIke Sherman clearly said that they had no interest in signing Henson before his workout. A lot of teams were interested,but not willing to give up a day one pick for a long range project.

kartr

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:
Good questions, Zax...

I don't know if anyone can figure out Parcells' thinking on Henson. I never could reconcile JJT's detailing of Parcells' calling Lloyd Carr, talking to his friends in the Yankees organization, meeting with Henson personally, and so on with his seeming indifference toward him since. So here's a theory for you: Maybe Parcells never intended to have Henson run his team.

At the time, Parcells had a fairly successful season under his belt with Quincy and seemed to think that he could improve further with both more experience and a better team around him. He also was interested in a vet backup QB instead a young QB learning on the job like Hutchinson. In this scenario of coming off a 10-6 season with what looked like a pretty good team, no rookie was going to beat out both a developing young player that Parcells liked and a veteran insurance policy. So at the time, there wasn't any room for Henson to play for at least two years. I think it's possible that Parcells never anticipated playing Henson, but simply was doing his employer a favor and using his contacts to do some due diligence on a player who Jerry had been interested in for years and who might be the one to take over two or three years later when Parcells was gone.

I believe you're right on this one, I read that Jerry called Drew Henson's father in Sept. of 2003 to inquired about Drew's interest in playing football again, but later told him never mind after the Cowboys started out so well. This makes sense seeing it's Parcells is the one who says that he only needs a bus-driver qb and Jerry is the one that believes in the franchise qb mythology.

Alexander

Reaction score
kartr said:
MIke Sherman clearly said that they had no interest in signing Henson before his workout.

34853_link.GIF

Let me guess.

You don't have one.

kartr

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I think Henson will start showing why he was so highly regarded, last season his 1st in the NFL not much was expected he was trying to get re-acclimated with the game with a full off-season and one on one work with Lee I believe Henson will start to separate himself from Romo. This is not a knock on Romo but there is a reason why Henson was highly regarded and Romo was an undrafted FA

After seeing Henson against Chicago, I don't think he's highly regarded by anyone except for JJ. Parcells says that potential is nothing, production is everything. Don't forget, after Hutch only won 2 of 9 starts in 2002, it was Jerry who still thought that Hutch was the future.

kartr

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I agree and supported Parcells on not throwing Henson out there, it was clear that Henson was not ready and that came as no suprise to me given his time away from the game. I do think Henson has the talent to play this game at a high level and given time I think he will show why so many were high on him.

Maybe so, but you're talkin' 2-3 years down the road. In that length of time, we'd be better off drafting a qb next year, someone's who has started for 2-3 years in college. The odds would be better in our favor of doing this instead of betting the farm on a guy who has played more baseball than football.

kartr

Reaction score
Waffle said:
Talk about hitting the nail on the head. :hammer:

Exactly. And that's why we need better options than what we have now. What if we give Henson 2-3 years and he bombs out, then we're talking about still looking for a qb in 2010.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
kartr said:
Maybe so, but you're talkin' 2-3 years down the road. In that length of time, we'd be better off drafting a qb next year, someone's who has started for 2-3 years in college. The odds would be better in our favor of doing this instead of betting the farm on a guy who has played more baseball than football.

We need to do something either find out if Henson/Romo can do it or draft one but the position needs to get settled

Doomsday101

Reaction score
kartr said:
After seeing Henson against Chicago, I don't think he's highly regarded by anyone except for JJ. Parcells says that potential is nothing, production is everything. Don't forget, after Hutch only won 2 of 9 starts in 2002, it was Jerry who still thought that Hutch was the future.

If one were to go by a rookie year then many QB's should be considered bust especially your boy Carter who could not hit the side of a barn with those awful passes. As for Parcells he had to choose between Carter and Hutch I don't consider that much to choose from. Henson may or may not turn out to be the franchise QB this teams needs, no one will know until he gets playing time but it was clear after watching Carter for 3 years floundering around on the field that he clearly was not anything special and his departure due to a failed drug test only showed his own mental weakness and that he can't be counted on which is why so many are staying away from him at this time.