Twitter: He's having a historically great career

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not years, but just 1 year. He sucked last year. Didn’t work on his game after signing a big contract and partied on his money. But that was only 1 year and last year. Let’s see how he does this year before quitting on him like losers like to do. Quit.

His yards and average have declined for years not one year.

plasticman

Reaction score
Zeke's 1yardage is even more impressive when you consider the pass/run ratio of NFL offenses these days. In their first five seasons Emmitt Smith had 200 more carries. Zeke had a slightly better yards per carry but Emmitt set a TD record one season. Overall Emmit had about 50% more TD's.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
His yards and average have declined for years not one year.
Not sure that’s true or not. All I know is that he was not the Zeke we were use to last year I expect him to be the Zeke we’re use to after the work he’s put in this offseason.

NotForLong

Reaction score
That was a unfortunate year...not only did they suspend him but he had to fight each and every week and attend all these hearings from the NFL.....it was ridiculous.....how am I suppose to even play with this over my head all year?
Awww. . . what happened to you? And which team do you play for?

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not sure that’s true or not. All I know is that he was not the Zeke we were use to last year I expect him to be the Zeke we’re use to after the work he’s put in this offseason.

Of course you do.

I expect the rookie burst we haven't seen in many years won't be seen this year either. Not because of incessant hate but because I've never seen a player regain that speed years after it's been gone.

If the OL holds up he can get 1200 or so yards over this new 17 game season. Good not great.

Thomas82

Reaction score
I have posted multiple times a list of running backs who had their best seasons (or close to it) after the age of 25. For truly great running backs it really isn't that uncommon.

As for the fumbles.. I just think that was an 7-8 game anomaly owing to a number of factors.
1) The line play. The line stunk most of the year which led to Zeke having to work through a lot more traffic than he had been used to.. More traffic = more hits = more chances to fumble
2) The deficits. It's a natural instinct of a player to try to do more when his team is behind. I think Zeke (and Dak) got caught up in trying to do too much when things fell apart.
3) Covid.. I think it cost him some of his strength early in the season and it was just easier to dislodge the ball from him as he regained his full strength in recovering from it.
4) Natural aging.. I think he underwent some natural slowing down and that also contributed to his taking more hits from behind. The good news is that a lighter, more fit version of him should go back to leaving the guys he has run past in the rear view mirror as opposed to them chasing him down and punching at the ball.

As far as Cowboys history goes, Calvin Hill, Herschel Walker, Emmitt Smith, and DeMarco Murray all had their best seasons at 26. Tony Dorsett has his best one at 27.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
LOL, if one can't see that he's not been the same TB he was his rookie year, then the "homer" tag might apply here.

He got slower and bigger. Still a good TB but he clearly knew he lost something because he appears to have re-focused this offseason in terms of diet and training and now apparently at a weight level he hasn't seen since he was coming out of college.

That was part of the problem. He was so good his rookie year (and really, in 2018 and 2019) as well that he looks bad when he's average like he was last year.

Of course, he's not being paid to be average, so it's great to see him not be satisfied with that.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
You misunderstood what I said.....I said list your top 10 and I asked you how many of them were were top 10 picks.....

I dont see how that has any relevance. You can do your own homework. Where someone was picked doenst change the fact the fact that its a premium position.

A more relevant test would be what positions are picked in the top 10 the most. Or which positions have the highest average salary. Or you could just google it. :thumbup:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I dont see how that has any relevance. You can do your own homework. Where someone was picked doenst change the fact the fact that its a premium position.

A more relevant test would be what positions are picked in the top 10 the most. Or which positions have the highest average salary. Or you could just google it. :thumbup:
I never said the cornerback position wasn't a premium position....is something wrong with you? Either you list your top 10 or don't. Let's end this back and forth. You ask me questions and I answer them.....you refuse to answer anything and your comprehension skills are lacking. Its annoying.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
LOL, if one can't see that he's not been the same TB he was his rookie year, then the "homer" tag might apply here.

He got slower and bigger. Still a good TB but he clearly knew he lost something because he appears to have re-focused this offseason in terms of diet and training and now apparently at a weight level he hasn't seen since he was coming out of college.

There is this game that people like to play with numbers these days and it’s so nauseating.

Zeke is not what he was and it’s as clear as day. Maybe we get a different Zeke this year but the guy no longer is a big play threat like he was.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I never said the cornerback position wasn't a premium position....is something wrong with you? Either you list your top 10 or don't. Let's end this back and forth. You ask me questions and I answer them.....you refuse to answer anything and your comprehension skills are lacking. Its annoying.

A premium position is one you want to take high because they are the most valuable. LOL

What are you talking about? You said you wouldnt use a high pick on the CB position. What am I missing?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Well that's why I said I felt last year was better than the year before. He did his "damage" with a inferior offensive line and one of the worst in the league.

In regards to the contract, I've alway stuck by the issue wasn't giving him the contract the issue was taking him with the #4th pick in the draft. You had no choice but to re-sign him at that point.

This plus fans forget Zeke and his agent beat Stephen at his own game. Remember how we used the hell out of Murray ( over 430+ touches ) his contract year then lowballed him and made 100 excuses. Well Zeke agent didn't forget and if you recall at the time, Stephen knew he wanted a new deal but with another year and the tag, he thought he had time. LOL....Zeke threw the ultimate curveball by holding out. Pretty saying no way in hell you'll do to me what you did to Murray.

Carson

Reaction score
Should be a 3X rushing champion as well. I haven’t given up on Zeke!

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Well, if this thread doesn’t pull aria out of retirement, then he’s definitely changed to a new username.

This him......I was thinking the other day but couldn't remember. All I knew was Zeke had another hardcore critic out there that's not posting but couldn't remember his name. Anyway, hope he's ok.........lol

USArmyVet

Reaction score

Zeke rushing yards per season

2016: 1,631 yards
2017: 983 yards (6-game suspension year)
2018: 1,434 yards
2019: 1,357 yards
2020: 979 yards

Zeke rushing average per carry

2016: 5.1 ypc
2017: 4.1 ypc
2018: 4.7 ypc
2019: 4.5 ypc
2020: 4.0 ypc

Zeke yards per game average

2016: 108.7 ypg
2017: 98.3 ypg
2018: 95.6 ypg
2019: 84.8 ypg
2020: 65.3 ypg

Zeke longest run per season

2016: 60 yards
2017: 30 yards
2018: 41 yards
2019: 33 yards
2020: 31 yards

Zeke average carries per game

2016: 21.5 apg
2017: 24.2 apg
2018: 20.3 apg
2019: 18.8 apg
2020: 16.3 apg

Zeke catches per season

2016: 32 catches
2017: 26 catches
2018: 77 catches
2019: 54 catches
2020: 52 catches

So, based on looking at the above stats what one can surmise is that Zeke has declined as a runner partially due to the Dallas shift in philosophy to a more pass heavy football team (look at Zeke's catches dramatically increase while his rushing attempts per game has decreased) but also due in part to the fact that Zeke is no longer that homerun hitting running back who can be relied upon to carry an offense as he was in his rookie season.

Plankton

Reaction score
This is flawed, lol.
Why do you think they used a birthday??????
He just started at a young age , that is all, I guess he didnt finish college.

People twist stats to get a result they want, and someone dug up this birthday age thing.

On that list, all of the players were 21 years old in their rookie season, so there's no flaw in the data.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
You're entitled to your opinion I just happen to disagree. Yes great players can be found at most any point in the draft including undrafted. However if you get a great player you keep him. The salary is only a problem to people who don't like him. Since the Joneses don't have a problem with it I can only assume they must like him. Zeke had a down year.. He's not the first player to have a down year and won't be the last. And if he regains his all pro form he will be continue to help this team win games. And his skillset is about as diverse as it gets for a running back. Yes the way Moore calls plays it suits Pollard and his ilk better.. However just because Moore is an idiot doesn't make it right. I like Zeke on my team. I get that some people don't. I can't do anything to help those people. I enjoy watching him and I think be brings a lot to the table that can help a team win if properly used.

This can actually be said about quite a few players........fan loves them as long as they're cheap or on a rookie deal.