Hey Key! Who Did Build this Team?

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
Mr Cowboy;1830493 said:
You come in here looking for grammatical errors?

Wow, I'm almost certain that the majority of the members here come to discuss Dallas Cowboys football, grammatical errors be damned.;)

Genious!

lol no i don't... but when a poster calls someone a "Genious" instead of a GENIUS being sarcastic about another poster's intelligence its too funny.

:lmao:

khiladi

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1829862 said:
Parcells was basically a business consultant who came into a business that was on the brink of Chapter 11, couldn't pay it's bills, bleeding money, no business model in place to make money, and no management leadershiip. when he left it was out of the red, paying it's bills, management in place implementing a business model that was making money with great potential to make more ... and people said he was a 'failure' because he didn't turn it into Microsoft in four years.

Except that when Parcells' got here, there was no bleeding money, because Jerry Jones had cleaned up the salary cap hits Dallas had from their aging dynasty. Parcells' had plenty of draft picks, pretty much had more reign than Gailey and Campo ever had. They were the definitely paying their baills, and making plenty of money. By the time Parcells had gotten here, the last remnants of Dallas' aging dynasty had played out their careers. Parcells walked into a squeaky clean organization.

He clearly could have gone anywhere, and there is a reason he chose Dallas. It surely wasn't because they were bleeding.

khiladi

Reaction score
mickgreen58;1830499 said:
This post is just dumb.

So I guess you forgot about the drafts before Parcells got here?

Show me a GM/Coach in the NFL who hasn't missed on a player.

Furthermore, the jury is still out on Bobby Carpenter.

Every single dynasty had a slow and painful death. Thank JJ that we even sniffed the play-offs before Parcells got here. SF and Green Bay, their 'dynasties' coincided with ours, and yet, we were way more competitive during our last breaths than those two teams...

Parcells timing couldn't have been more perfect...

superpunk

Reaction score
khiladi;1831037 said:
Except that when Parcells' got here, there was no bleeding money

Pretty tough to bleed money when you've got no talent to throw it at. Guess it wasn't all peaches and cream after all.

Fast forward 4 years, and this might be the most talented roster in the NFL.

khiladi

Reaction score
superpunk;1831072 said:
Pretty tough to bleed money when you've got no talent to throw it at. Guess it wasn't all peaches and cream after all.

Fast forward 4 years, and this might be the most talented roster in the NFL.

Uh, how much money, by the time Parcells got here, did Jerry have tied up into aging players from an aging dynasty? Parcells had plenty of money to throw at plenty of talented players...

With all due respect to the Legend Tony Romo, this offense is also predicated on T.O. taking double and triple teams, and T.O. was NOT a Parcells guy. Part of the solidification of Romo is the key addition to Leonard Davis... Remember our weak link, that wasd brought in by Parcells... And how about Hamlin? Don't players consider him one of the leaders of the organization? Was he a Parcells player? Hell, you have Watkins playing well now, and I remember how people use to just cry about how much he sucked... but yeah, now that the team is winning, it is a Parcells pick..

heck, even Romo isn't a product of Parcells, but the constant pressuring by Sean Payton.... if Bill had his way, Bledsoe would still be his QB, and Romo wou.ld be his back-up... that's why it took so long for Romo in the first place... Vinny Testaverde.... please...

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
MeShawn Johnson singe-handedly built this team the moment he was cut.

Addition by subtraction :lmao2:

superpunk

Reaction score
khiladi;1831089 said:
Uh, how much money, by the time Parcells got here, did Jerry have tied up into aging players from an aging dynasty? Parcells had plenty of money to throw at plenty of talented players...

Clearly you missed the point.

It was a roster devoid of talent. Talentless. Without talent. Lacking any semblance of talent. That is why there was so much money available - there was noone on the roster worth paying. Plenty of teams have cap space - and plenty of teams continue to suck with cap space. It takes a real football mind to instill the direction and discipline required to wield that cap space correctly.

But no doubt Campo could have accomplished the same thing - if only he had the "cap space". :( After all, as the critics in this thread have mentioned, that's the only reason this organization turned around.

dave.jpg

Good times.

khiladi

Reaction score
superpunk;1831098 said:
Clearly you missed the point.

It was a roster devoid of talent. Talentless. Without talent. Lacking any semblance of talent. That is why there was so much money available - there was noone on the roster worth paying. Plenty of teams have cap space - and plenty of teams continue to suck with cap space. It takes a real football mind to instill the direction and discipline required to wield that cap space correctly.

Good times.

No, I got the point quite well. How was SF and GB? Weren't they also aging dynasties killed by free agency? Why were they talentless? Was it because of previous coaches, or they were just products of a past prime, a dragon on it's last breadth?

There was nowhere to go but up... Parcells had everything in place for him to succeed...

superpunk

Reaction score
khiladi;1831107 said:
No, I got the point quite well. How was SF and GB? Weren't they also aging dynasties killed by free agency? Why were they talentless? Was it because of previous coaches, or they were just products of a past prime, a dragon on it's last breadth?

There was nowhere to go but up... Parcells had everything in place for him to succeed...

That's all it takes, right? Let me see if I've got this right.

Phase 1: Cap space
Phase 2: ????
Phase 3: Success!

That's clearly worked for San Francisco and Oakland.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
khiladi;1831107 said:
Just because there was nowhere to go but up doesn't mean anybody could take the team upwards. That is why certain teams continues to be basement dweller. When BP was hired, we lacked talent, work ethics, and commitment and he worked to eliminate all those negative characteristics of the Cowboys players, coaches, and front office.

khiladi

Reaction score
superpunk;1831120 said:
That's all it takes, right? Let me see if I've got this right.

Phase 1: Cap space
Phase 2: ????
Phase 3: Success!

That's clearly worked for San Francisco and Oakland.

Nice... you attribute a position to me I never had, and then go about refuting that very position. Where did I say that is all it takes? I'm talking abou this blanket Parcells homerism, as if he did some marvelous job, so much so that people have to find it necessary to try and attribute the success of the Cowboys to him. D they do that for Jim Mora after Sean Payton took over? NO was a bottom dweller for way longer than Dallas. Just as there a SF, and SF, there is also a Green Bay. People make it look like he cleaned up a mess, when the fact is, Jerry cleaned up the mess before he got here. Salary cap problems for Biill? No... Draft position? High for Bill... The aging dynasty had finally given way, and we no longer had the burden of these contracts.

Parcells left with an e-mail, and if he had any idea that this team was 12-1 and talent could get him where it was, he wouldn't have bolted the way he did. His players all throughout training camp wouldn't have been taking indirect shots at his philosophy, and these are his OWN players. He had absolutely no idea the extent of the talent on this team. That is why he looked dumbfounded against the Panthers until Romo saved the day. That is why he had his ex-Goant players coming down to fire him up. He looked like a man lost.

Many of the decisions that are making a deep impact on this team, are clearly not his. Now, he is letting Keyshawn be his liottle mouthpiece, andJohnson trying to use it to garner attention that he built this team, and success should be due to him. F him... before Dallas even reached 12-1, homers like Keyshaw were saying they were over-rated. All of the sudden, Dallas is so full of talent, that Parcells needs to be given credity. WHat? They weren't over-rated when Parcells was coach?

I feel sorry for Wade though. Was it Parcells that installed the work eithic that had the players all studying Wade's defense on the flight that was widely reported. That stewardess commented how she had never seen players studying like that before a game. This team is Wade's and even the players are giving him all the credit. They are giving WADE the credit, they are not jumping on about themselves. And the fact of the matter is wherever Wade has gone to coach, his team improved their record, and were playoff bound. Dallas is no different. Teams improve under Wade, because he knows how to coach. It is his own coaching that causes teams to play at a high level.

Last year, you were all about how our players coudln't execute, and it had nothing to do with Parcells. Yet, ironically, our players are executing this year. So let me get this staright... they couldn't execute last year, and were at fault, but now, suddenly, Bill built probably the most talented franchise today..so Bill built a talented and disciplined team, that was all about work ethic, but they couldn't execute last year? this hypocrisy is just laughable..

superpunk

Reaction score
khiladi;1831450 said:
Nice... you attribute a position to me I never had, and then go about refuting that very position. Where did I say that is all it takes? I'm talking abou this blanket Parcells homerism, as if he did some marvelous job, so much so that people have to find it necessary to try and attribute the success of the Cowboys to him. D they do that for Jim Mora after Sean Payton took over? NO was a bottom dweller for way longer than Dallas. Just as there a SF, and SF, there is also a Green Bay. People make it look like he cleaned up a mess, when the fact is, Jerry cleaned up the mess before he got here. Salary cap problems for Biill? No... Draft position? High for Bill... The aging dynasty had finally given way, and we no longer had the burden of these contracts.

Phase 1: Cap Space and high draft picks.
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit.

Good to know. If that was all it took to turn a laughingstock into a dominant team, you'd think more teams would employ that strategy. Jim Haslett, btw.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Again, someone will have to explain to me what cap room has to do with Parcells finding more Draft Day 2 players and undrafted free agent contributors in 1 year than Jerry and Larry found in 7 combined. We didn't rebuild through big money contracts and premium free agents under Parcells, we built through the draft, undrafted free agents and uncovering trash and lower tier FA's nobody wanted and making them football players (Colombo, Kosier). We weren't forfeiting those draft picks 1996-2002 because we had cap problems, we were just spending them on Lee Vaughn and Macey Brooks instead of Marion Barber and Jay Ratliff. Jerry didn't clean up any mess, he just moved aside for Parcells before he could make any more of a mess (aside from the momentary relapses when Jerry was feeling his oats ... see giving up a 3rd rounder for Drew Henson). Look at the roster Parcells in 2003, full of Jerry and Larry's draft picks, and tell me how many are still in the NFL. We had just finished spending Day 1 picks on Antonio Bryant, Derek Ross and Willie Blade .. and you want to tell me the mess was cleaned up when Parcells got here? Please.

Watch out for Oakland though ... they have a lot of cap room ... Superbowl 2011, book it.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1831621 said:
Again, someone will have to explain to me what cap room has to do with Parcells finding more Draft Day 2 players and undrafted free agent contributors in 1 year than Jerry and Larry found in 7 combined. We didn't rebuilt through free agency under Parcells, we built through the draft. We weren't forfeiting those draft picks 1996-2002 because we had cap problems, we were just spending them on Lee Vaughn and Macey Brooks instead of Marion Barber and Jay Ratliff. Jerry didn't clean up any mess. Look at the roster Parcells in 2003, Jerry and Larry's draft picks, and tell me how many are still in the NFL.

Watch out for Oakland though ... they have a lot of cap room ... Superbowl 2011, book it.

You're right, he had some good second day pikcs and undrafted free agents. That however is not a proven way to build a winner. He also wasted high draft choices on the likes of spears, Julius, Al Johnson, Carpentar (has time but not looking good), Skylar Green, Peterman, Rogers. You build the core of your team with the high draft picks.

Second day draft picks and UDFA are the biggest crap shoot of all, that requires alot more luck than skill.

Now the cap comes in when you have to backfill your roster to make up for your bad early draft picks. For example, BP missed on Johnson and Peterman, so Jerry had to spend money on Rivera, who was a bad pick up, and even more money to cover that up with Bigg. He ended up paying some good money for Columbo who would not be needed if he had hit on Rogers. We had to select Spencer this year because Carpentar looks like a bad pick. See where this is going............picked up Henry and Hamlin because he couldn't find one of those DB gems in the late rounds/UDFA. Big deal, it's Jerry's money anyway.

Enough of this BP stuff.........he did us some good, but he wasn't the god some make him out to be either.

Let's move on.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
You're right, he had some good second day pikcs and undrafted free agents. That however is not a proven way to build a winner. He also wasted high draft choices on the likes of spears, Julius, Al Johnson, Carpentar (has time but not looking good), Skylar Green, Peterman, Rogers. You build the core of your team with the high draft picks.

And in an identical 4 year span Jimmy spent Day 1 picks on Anthony Wright, James Richards, Godfrey Miles and James Brown and traded a 2nd round pick for one year of a washed up, broken down Alonzo Highsmith and spent what turned out to be the first pick in the 1990 Draft on Steve Walsh in the supplemental. So I guess he wasn't that great either. And he inherited the consensus #1 pick Troy Aikman, Newton, Tuinei, Gogan, Chad Henning's rights. While Parcells was an idiot because he reluctantly took Ware even though he wasn't his first choice, Jimmy is a genius for taking Emmitt when he really wanted James Francis (some say he had three defensive players he wanted to trade up for and Emmitt was his 4th choice) .... blah, blah, blah. Did Jimmy rebuild the roster or didn't he? Either you rebuild the roster and talent from top to bottom or you don't. I don't care how you do it, either you find football players or you don't. It doesn't matter where or how you find them. Erik Williams, Leon Lett and Larry Brown weren't any less football players because "they only" found them in the 2nd day, and Jay Novacek wasn't any less of an All Pro because they found him on the Plan B scrap heap.

For every dollar we spent "covering up" mistakes like Peterman and Rogers under Parcells, we saved ten by finding cheap players in unlikely places instead of having ot fill it through free agency. We "covered up" the Rogers mistake by finding Colombo for peanuts. Romo alone saved the Cowboys millions in signing bonus and high draft picks it would have cost us to draft a "pedigreed" franchise QB and hope and pray he doesn't turn out to be Byron Leftwhich/David Carr/Joey Harrington/Akilli Smith. What did we give up for Terry Glenn? A 4th rounder and $500k a year contract?

And did you just really include Skyler Green among "high draft picks"?

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1831666 said:
And in an identical 4 year span Jimmy spent Day 1 picks on Anthony Wright, James Richards, Godfrey Miles and James Brown and traded a 2nd round pick for one year of a washed up, broken down Alonzo Highsmith and spent what turned out to be the first pick in the 1990 Draft on Steve Walsh in the supplemental. So I guess he wasn't that great either. And he inherited the consensus #1 pick Troy Aikman, Newton, Tuinei, Gogan, Chad Henning's rights. While Parcells was an idiot because he reluctantly took Ware even though he wasn't his first choice, Jimmy is a genius for taking Emmitt when he really wanted James Francis (some say he had three defensive players he wanted to trade up for and Emmitt was his 4th choice) .... blah, blah, blah. Did Jimmy rebuild the roster or didn't he? Either you rebuild the roster and talent from top to bottom or you don't. I don't care how you do it, either you find football players or you don't. It doesn't matter where or how you find them. Erik Williams, Leon Lett and Larry Brown weren't any less football players because "they only" found them in the 2nd day, and Jay Novacek wasn't any less of an All Pro because they found him on the Plan B scrap heap.

For every dollar we spent "covering up" mistakes like Peterman and Rogers under Parcells, we saved ten by finding cheap players in unlikely places instead of having ot fill it through free agency. We "covered up" the Rogers mistake by finding Colombo for peanuts. Romo alone saved the Cowboys millions in signing bonus and high draft picks it would have cost us to draft a "pedigreed" franchise QB and hope and pray he doesn't turn out to be Byron Leftwhich/David Carr/Joey Harrington/Akilli Smith. What did we give up for Terry Glenn? A 4th rounder and $500k a year contract?

Hey man you are wasting your breath. I used to fight the good fight too, but it doesnt matter. there is a crowd here that is never going to acknowledge what was really done from 03-06. It just isnt going to happen.

oh and by the way we traded a 6 for glenn, the packers then traded that to sf who used it on punter andy lee. I think we did pretty good on that one.

This years draft is going to tell us alot about what was learned when bill was here. they either reach and think oh we need one guy, just like jerry always did or he proves to everyone that he learned and he takes to good young players who fit the characterstics of the mold parcells drafted. Smart, intelligent, fast learners who are solid citizens.

You and superpunk hit every point right on the nose so I just stay out of it. It drives me crazy and I could argue with people about it constantly but there really is no point anymore. It is never going to register with some, and like Bill said to laufenberg, "once I am gone you will never know I had been there"....

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Actually, hitting on your second day picks does wonders for a franchise.

Ratliff is our starting NT. Yeah, due to injury, but nonetheless, starting.

Reeves has been starting due to injuries and he is our nickle CB. 7th rounder as well.

Barber came at the cost of a 4th rounder.

Canty, our starting DE who has really come around this year came in the 4th round.

McQuistan, even if he is only a backup OT provides us with depth. 7th rounder.

Watkins has been a pretty key cog in our special teams unit and gets in on some sub packages. 5th rounder.

Yeah, Rogers busted. Peterman is starting elsewhere. That happens. Every franchise swings and misses.

But look at what we've found on day 2. A starting NT, possibly a starting RB (at the very least, one of the best backups), a ok #3 CB, an interesting FS prospect, a for now backup swing OT, undrafted guys like Austin, Hurd, Romo....

Parcells had a lot to do with building this roster.

Yes, Wade is getting better results and deserves plenty of praise for taking us to the next step; but Parcells gets a lot of credit for overhauling one of the least talented rosters in the league.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
theebs;1831843 said:
Hey man you are wasting your breath. I used to fight the good fight too, but it doesnt matter. there is a crowd here that is never going to acknowledge what was really done from 03-06. It just isnt going to happen.

oh and by the way we traded a 6 for glenn, the packers then traded that to sf who used it on punter andy lee. I think we did pretty good on that one.

This years draft is going to tell us alot about what was learned when bill was here. they either reach and think oh we need one guy, just like jerry always did or he proves to everyone that he learned and he takes to good young players who fit the characterstics of the mold parcells drafted. Smart, intelligent, fast learners who are solid citizens.

You and superpunk hit every point right on the nose so I just stay out of it. It drives me crazy and I could argue with people about it constantly but there really is no point anymore. It is never going to register with some, and like Bill said to laufenberg, "once I am gone you will never know I had been there"....

You're right, I don't know why I waste my breath. Really, I could say everything about the state of affairs pre-Parcells in one line.

Jeff Robinson. $5 million dollars spent because we couldn't even fill the friggin long snapper position from within.

Any questions?

Dodger12

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1831666 said:

InmanRoshi;1831666 said:
You're right, I don't know why I waste my breath. Really, I could say everything about the state of affairs pre-Parcells in one line.

Jeff Robinson. $5 million dollars spent because we couldn't even fill the friggin long snapper position from within.

Any questions?"?

Ouch..............that's gonna leave a mark. Well said IR. :bow: