Hey Nors

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
Nors said:
I think JJ should learn, go build his stadium like Kraft did. Let BP bring his guy in (the Pioli, or similar guy) and stay out of all football decisions.
Man that would be good IMO... I just don't see Jerry splitting up his boys responsibilities as far as the Cowboys are concerned... Stephen Jones I think is the pres of player personnel. Funny how his name is never mentioned with top front-office NFL personnel guys... I guess that means he just holds a title and signs paychecks maybe. Over the dude's head prob. My hope is to let Bill's influence sink in over time and hopefully the Cowboys aren't left a shell of what used to be when he's gone.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
Hos, how dare you admit that you're wrong. Don't you know we don't allow such behavior on this board? If you weren't an administrative person I would personally ban you for showing such weakness! :D
Forgive me father, for I have sinned. I was honest in the fact that I was compiling my list from my memory rather than an infallable source. I sought to answer the question of 31 counterparts around the league to a man praised for his personnel decisions. How crass of me.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Waffle said:
I just read this thread since I've been out of pocket for several hours now and want to settle this ridiculous spat.

Nors, you asked who Pioli's 31 other counterparts were, right? When Hos named Pioli as the person in New England plus all the others off the top of his head, you said he was wrong because Belichick was GM. I'm sorry, but Pioli is the "constant" here. Pioli's "counterpart" in New England is HIMSELF!!
I think you sometimes want to argue because you are bored. :banghead:

For the record though Hos, I thought Mickey Loomis was Pioli's counterpart in New Orleans. But what the hell do I know because I'm sure Nors will say it's Benson because he gave Mueller and Loomis their jobs in the first place. :rolleyes:

All these roll eyes:

Let me dummy it down.

I said post Pioli's 31 peers in Player personel? Hos names GM/Coaches. Pioli is not GM, Bellicheck is. Lets look at Dallas - GM is Jerry Jones. Pioli's equivalent was Larry Lacewell.

GM
Player Personell

That why Pioli was granted an opportunity to talk to Seattle about a PROMOTION to GM.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
Nors said:
All these roll eyes:

Let me dummy it down.

I said post Pioli's 31 peers in Player personel? Hos names GM/Coaches. Pioli is not GM, Bellicheck is. Lets look at Dallas - GM is Jerry Jones. Pioli's equivalent was Larry Lacewell.
Lacewell was gone long before this subject was brought up here so that would have been a wrong answer. You keep bringing up Bellicheck but Bellicheck does not do Pioli's job in NE Pioli does. So that arguement makes absolutely NO sense. It was Hostile's assertion (as he said several times) that those GM's he listed perform Pioli's job in those cities. He was not just discussing GM's.

GM
Player Personell

That why Pioli was granted an opportunity to talk to Seattle about a PROMOTION to GM.
He was granted permission because they are in a different division in a different conference on the opposite coast. Almost ZERO competition for the Pats. That permission was denied to the Dolphins because they are a division rival...Duh.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
JackMagist said:
Lacewell was gone long before this subject was brought up here so that would have been a wrong answer. You keep bringing up Bellicheck but Bellicheck does not do Pioli's job in NE Pioli does. So that arguement makes absolutely NO sense. It was Hostile's assertion (as he said several times) that those GM's he listed perform Pioli's job in those cities. He was not just discussing GM's.

He was granted permission because they are in a different division in a different conference on the opposite coast. Almost ZERO competition for the Pats. That permission was denied to the Dolphins because they are a division rival...Duh.
Bravo, author! Author!

irvin88

Reaction score
Nors said:
All these roll eyes:

Let me dummy it down.

GM
Player Personell

Patriots thread.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Nors said:
All these roll eyes:

Let me dummy it down.

GM
Player Personell

Belicheck is NOT the GM, his only title is head coach according to NE's official site. NE does not have a GM. ;)

irvin88

Reaction score
blindzebra said:
Belicheck is NOT the GM, his only title is head coach according to NE's official site. NE does not have a GM. ;)

Why r we even talking about the Pats here??

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Baying the Bill
Belichick costs Patriots No. 1 pick

It was time to make up
By Jimmy Golen,
Associated Press writer

FOXBORO -- Bill Belichick was hired as coach of the Patriots after New York Jets boss Bill Parcells made a last-ditch phone call to mend fences and grab New England's top pick in this year's draft.
The call Wednesday night prodded Patriots owner Bob Kraft to pay the first-round draft choice Parcells had demanded as compensation for letting Belichick out of his contract with New York.

"For a No. 1 draft choice, we can bring in a man that I feel certain can do something, rather than the uncertainty of a draft choice," Kraft said yesterday night after shaking hands with Belichick on a five-year deal. "And it wasn't even close when I thought about it that way."
It took 24 days for the Patriots and Jets to agree on compensation for Belichick and a couple hours for Kraft and his would-be coach to reach an agreement somewhere off the highway between Boston and New York.
The Patriots will give New York their No. 1 draft pick this year, a fourth-rounder in 2001 and seventh-rounder in 2002. The Jets gave the Patriots a No. 5 in 2001 and a No. 7 in 2002.
"It resolves a lot of issues lingering a long time and helps Bill get back into coaching, where he wants to be," Parcells said. "I think Bob has the coach he wants and we were compensated pretty well."
Terms of Belichick's contract remain to be hammered out.
The deal came so quickly, Kraft claimed, that there wasn't time to discuss whether Belichick would also take over as general manager. Belichick said he wasn't concerned about having total control of the team. "This is not a one-man band here. I can't play all the instruments," he said. "I don't think it's important who's right. I think it's important what's right."

Game set and match!

Move on, Pioli is VP player personnell, Belichick GM. AGAIN - post Pioli's 31 PEER counterparts?

OUT - :rolleyes: :D :p

irvin88

Reaction score
Nors said:
Baying the Bill
Belichick costs Patriots No. 1 pick

It was time to make up
By Jimmy Golen,
Associated Press writer

FOXBORO -- Bill Belichick was hired as coach of the Patriots after New York Jets boss Bill Parcells made a last-ditch phone call to mend fences and grab New England's top pick in this year's draft.
The call Wednesday night prodded Patriots owner Bob Kraft to pay the first-round draft choice Parcells had demanded as compensation for letting Belichick out of his contract with New York.

"For a No. 1 draft choice, we can bring in a man that I feel certain can do something, rather than the uncertainty of a draft choice," Kraft said yesterday night after shaking hands with Belichick on a five-year deal. "And it wasn't even close when I thought about it that way."
It took 24 days for the Patriots and Jets to agree on compensation for Belichick and a couple hours for Kraft and his would-be coach to reach an agreement somewhere off the highway between Boston and New York.
The Patriots will give New York their No. 1 draft pick this year, a fourth-rounder in 2001 and seventh-rounder in 2002. The Jets gave the Patriots a No. 5 in 2001 and a No. 7 in 2002.
"It resolves a lot of issues lingering a long time and helps Bill get back into coaching, where he wants to be," Parcells said. "I think Bob has the coach he wants and we were compensated pretty well."
Terms of Belichick's contract remain to be hammered out.
The deal came so quickly, Kraft claimed, that there wasn't time to discuss whether Belichick would also take over as general manager. Belichick said he wasn't concerned about having total control of the team. "This is not a one-man band here. I can't play all the instruments," he said. "I don't think it's important who's right. I think it's important what's right."

Game set and match!

Move on, Pioli is VP player personnell, Belichick GM. AGAIN - post Pioli's 31 PEER counterparts?

OUT - :rolleyes: :D :p

I'm pretty sure New England has a message board !!! No one here cares about Bellichek and some guy named Pioli.

perhaps2

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
Because New Englands #1 fan keeps bringing them up. :D

Folks, I'm inviting Nors over to www.patriotsplanet.com to talk about the Pats. It's a great website, kinda like virtual tailgating :) It's called Patriots planet, but we have visitors from other teams there that are more than welcome to talk about football, politics, whatever. So Nors, come on over and talk with us about Pioli interviewing, and leave these folks alone :)

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
perhaps2 said:
Folks, I'm inviting Nors over to www.patriotsplanet.com to talk about the Pats. It's a great website, kinda like virtual tailgating :) It's called Patriots planet, but we have visitors from other teams there that are more than welcome to talk about football, politics, whatever. So Nors, come on over and talk with us about Pioli interviewing, and leave these folks alone :)

You will love this board. Enjoy!

irvin88

Reaction score
Nors said:

Nors, you should try it out, and when you become a Cowboy fan and not want to chat about NE's director a janitorial duties, come on back here.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Webster's Dictionary

Counterpart: (noun) one having the same function or characteristics as another.

Pioli's job per the Patriots website...Vice President, Player Personnel.

http://www.patriots.com/team/index.cfm?ac=mgersandexecs

Pioli's major function...acquire pesonnel.

A General Manager's major function...acquire personnel.

Nors is quibbling over a title. I was focused on a job function.

C'est la vie.

perhaps2

Reaction score
Nors said:

Thanks, Nors :) I like the second cousin twice removed relationship between the Cowboys and the Pats in regards to the Big Tuna/ Belichick and the Henson/Brady scenario. I lurk and learn. I've been hearing that Bledsoe wants a trade, and I'm hoping common sense hits Drewpie, and he retires. It's bad enough the Boys have Vinny under center, they don't need a statue. Henson should be given a chance to prove himself, and if he isn't given that option, shame on BP. Ok, back to lurking.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Webster's Dictionary

Nors is quibbling over a title. I was focused on a job function.

C'est la vie.
I'm not quite sure. He seems focused on job title where Pioli is concerned but focused on job function where Bellichek is concerned. I'm really having a hard time following his criteria here...it seems mercurial at best.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Webster's Dictionary

There are 32 GM's
Those 32 GM's have player personnel guys.

Pioli reports to Belichick.
move on - you were wrong. Its ok

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Nors said:
There are 32 GM's
Those 32 GM's have player personnel guys.

Pioli reports to Belichick.
move on - you were wrong. Its ok
We're off to see the Wizard, the wonderful Wizard of Oz.

perhaps2

Reaction score
JackMagist said:
I'm not quite sure. He seems focused on job title where Pioli is concerned but focused on job function where Bellichek is concerned. I'm really having a hard time following his criteria here...it seems mercurial at best.

May I help? Belichick and Pioli are a tandem. They look at players together, if they can't agree on a particular player, they move to the next one. Pioli does the contracts, and scouts quite a bit. He does have an eye for players who fit the Pats system. Belichick has the final say. As far as I know, and I may be wrong, Pioli's title is VP of Player Personnel, Belichick is HC. Again, I may be wrong, but I don't think there is a GM in the Patriots front office.