Hey Nors

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
perhaps2 said:
May I help? Belichick and Pioli are a tandem. They look at players together, if they can't agree on a particular player, they move to the next one. Pioli does the contracts, and scouts quite a bit. He does have an eye for players who fit the Pats system. Belichick has the final say. As far as I know, and I may be wrong, Pioli's title is VP of Player Personnel, Belichick is HC. Again, I may be wrong, but I don't think there is a GM in the Patriots front office.

http://www.patriots.com/team/index.cfm?ac=mgersandexecs

Belichick is the GM. :pERIOD: Pioli is VP Player Personel

If Pioli was GM he would not have been granted permission to talk GM job with Hawks.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
perhaps2 said:
May I help? Belichick and Pioli are a tandem. They look at players together, if they can't agree on a particular player, they move to the next one. Pioli does the contracts, and scouts quite a bit. He does have an eye for players who fit the Pats system. Belichick has the final say. As far as I know, and I may be wrong, Pioli's title is VP of Player Personnel, Belichick is HC. Again, I may be wrong, but I don't think there is a GM in the Patriots front office.

http://www.patriots.com/team/index.cfm?ac=mgersandexecs
Oh yeah I understand the situation in NE well enough. I just don't quite understand how Nors is applying that situation to his question about counterparts. Nor how he applys that situation to the answers offered him to his question. It's not the reality in NE I'm having a problem with..it's Nors thought process :D

perhaps2

Reaction score
JackMagist said:
Oh yeah I understand the situation in NE well enough. I just don't quite understand how Nors is applying that situation to his question about counterparts. Nor how he applys that situation to the answers offered him to his question. It's not the reality in NE I'm having a problem with..it's Nors thought process :D

Understood

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
Nors said:
Belichick is the GM. :pERIOD: Pioli is VP Player Personel

If Pioli was GM he would not have been granted permission to talk GM job with Hawks.
You can't really say that with any certainty. He might have been granted permission; they didn't have to grant him permission as it is due to his contract. It was purely a discretionary decision on the part of the Pats front office...Kraft? Bellichek? We don't know.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
JackMagist said:
You can't really say that with any certainty. He might have been granted permission; they didn't have to grant him permission as it is due to his contract. It was purely a discretionary decision on the part of the Pats front office...Kraft? Bellichek? We don't know.
Winners and losers in 2003 draft

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By BOB MATTHEWS
Rochester, N.Y. Democrat and Chronicle

The Cincinnati Bengals shocked the football world and had a productive draft.

New England's Bill Belichick showed the patience a coach-GM with a long-term contract can afford to have.

WHY IS PIOLI named VP/Player Personel and not GM on web page? Belichick is GM. Please stop.

I posted the why's on Pioli allowed to talk to Hawks GM position last night. Reason - promotion to GM.

He will turn that down anyway.

irvin88

Reaction score
Nors said:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By BOB MATTHEWS

New England's Bill Belichick showed the patience a coach-GM with a long-term contract can afford to have.

WHY IS PIOLI named VP/Player Personel and not GM on web page? Belichick is GM. Please stop.

I posted the why's on Pioli allowed to talk to Hawks GM position last night. Reason - promotion to GM.

Why do you keep bringing up Patriots. Who cares.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
irvin88 said:
Why do you keep bringing up Patriots. Who cares.

I posted on at least a dozen Cowboy threads today. ALL DIED BUT 1 OR 2 THAT RELATED TO bLEDSOE OR THIS.

I'll talk draft with you all day everyday with you on draft board. Top 300? Mocks, Who I want to draft for the Boys this year.

I bring it, but watch the hits/posts - You and your counterparts give certain posts life.

Not me.

Fact is there is a love hate relationship with all posts Nors. LET IT DIE THEN?
You let my vanilla Dallas post threads die. ;)

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Nors said:
I posted on at least a dozen Cowboy threads today. ALL DIED BUT 1 OR 2 THAT RELATED TO bLEDSOE OR THIS.

I'll talk draft with you all day everyday with you on draft board. Top 300? Mocks, Who I want to draft for the Boys this year.

I bring it, but watch the hits/posts - You and your counterparts give certain posts life.

Not me.

Fact is there is a love hate relationship with all posts Nors. LET IT DIE THEN?
You let my vanilla Dallas post threads die. ;)
You should feel flattered then.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
Nors said:
Belichick is not named GM on their web page. He may have some or all of the functions but he does not have the title. Since title seems to be the focus of your arguement you seem to be defeating your own arguement with your own source here.

The reason - Bob Kraft felt like granting him permission because he doesn't want to arbitrarily hold him back. Now the reason that Pioli might consider the job would be because it is a promotion; has nothing to do with why permission was granted.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Nors said:

By BOB MATTHEWS

Then how come Belicheck does not have the title of GM on the Patriot's official site, if he is the GM?

I'd have thought this fine organization would know whether or not they have a GM and put that persons name on the web site. :D

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
JackMagist said:
I'm not quite sure. He seems focused on job title where Pioli is concerned but focused on job function where Bellichek is concerned. I'm really having a hard time following his criteria here...it seems mercurial at best.
I refer you to post #32 in this thread.

Hostile said:
Jack, I speak from experience, when he asks a question and you answer it, he can change what he wanted to know in a New York minute and you never get back to the original thought process.
Call me Nostradamus if you wish, just recognize that I called it dead on balls accurate.

:gent:

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
Hostile said:
I refer you to post #32 in this thread.

Call me Nostradamus if you wish, just recognize that I called it dead on balls accurate.

:gent:
LOL I believed you then Hos. I'm just having some kicks stiring this kettle...bad habit of mine I'm afraid.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
JackMagist said:
LOL I believed you then Hos. I'm just having some kicks stiring this kettle...bad habit of mine I'm afraid.
Oh I get a charge out of that too. Had some great skirmishes over time. Enjoy.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
By BOB MATTHEWS

BB is GM move on!

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Nors said:
Name the 31 other counterparts in the NFL that do his job?
Define his job, and name your own list of 31 others then.

You're straining at a gnat and trying to swallow a camel.

BTW, no looking them up on the Net. Come up with 31 guys in charge of "Player Personnel." Off the top of your head.

Good luck.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
DallasEast said:
http://www.patriots.com/team/index.cfm?ac=coachbio&bio=506

...I can't find the term 'GM' or 'General Manager' anywhere.

Nors..?
Mostly that's because a synonym for General Manager in the business world that is the NFL is "Director of Player Personnel." It is the exact same function, just a different title.

Sort of like the difference between "Chairman of the Board" and "Chief Operating Officer."

But I suspect you already knew that and are just enjoying the spin control attempt too.