CFZ Historic Meltdown

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Unbelievable loss being up 14 in the 4th. What I find the most concerning is how the defense just completely imploded. It may be unpopular to say this, but the offense played well enough to win yesterday despite all of the misfires. If this team is going to be a serious threat, the defense needs to play like a top 5 unit. If they do not, it's going to be another unceremonious first round exit.

That game was terrible and will leave a bad taste in our mouthes for some time, but if you can find a way to win the next two you are back in business. That is a tall order considering how well the Vikes and Giants are playing but it feels like the season is on the line at this point.
The defense has now given up 26 or more points in back to back games and has been steamrolled in the running game by the bears and packers.

Here’s a preliminary opinion, shooting from the hip as to why this is happening- Micah Parsons is a GREAT pass rusher and it’s in those situations that this defense excels. But…when the pass rush is not in play, this defense is not dominant. Parsons is a great overall player, but the best way to negate his biggest impact- the pass rush- is to simply run the ball. Our DL and LBs overall have had trouble all year handling off tackle and outside runs. Until that gets fixed, this defense is far from dominant.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The defense has now given up 26 or more points in back to back games and has been steamrolled in the running game by the bears and packers.

Here’s a preliminary opinion, shooting from the hip as to why this is happening- Micah Parsons is a GREAT pass rusher and it’s in those situations that this defense excels. But…when the pass rush is not in play, this defense is not dominant. Parsons is a great overall player, but the best way to negate his biggest impact- the pass rush- is to simply run the ball. Our DL and LBs overall have had trouble all year handling off tackle and outside runs. Until that gets fixed, this defense is far from dominant.

Agreed. I think this could potentially be a scheme issue as well. Dallas plays with 5 DBs at a clip higher than every other team in the league but the Bills. This becomes problematic when teams simply decide they want to run at you all day.

If we took a DB off the field and started lining up in a 3-4 on running downs with Micah playing OLB I think we might see some dividends. I think DQ may have drank a little bit too much of the koolaid thinking this team could just pass rush opponents into oblivion. If you can't be at least average against the run, teams will just run the ball and neutralize our greatest advantage on defense.

Last edited:

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agreed. I think this could potentially be a scheme issues as well. Dallas plays with 5 DBs at a clip higher than every other team in the league but the Bills. This becomes problematic when teams simply decide they want to run at you all day.

If we took a DB off the field and started lining up in a 3-4 on running downs with Micah playing OLB I think we might see some dividends. I think DQ may have drank a little bit too much of the koolaid thinking this team could just pass rush opponents into oblivion. If you can't be at least average against the run, teams will just run the ball and neutralize our greatest advantage on defense.
Good point. Not to mention, our secondary is not the best at tackling and run support.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

Micah made a comment about gap integrity and guys staying in their lanes. Feels like guys were having so much fun getting sacks that they got sloppy in their desire to get more. Whatever it is, expect opponents to keep testing the run defense until Dallas proves they can stop it. No reason to put your QB at risk if you can get 5 yards a pop by just handing off.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Good thing romo doesn't have to pay rent for living in your head for SEVEN YEARS!

He'd probably have to take a 2nd job on Amazon Prime.

This is Romo Hate at it's finest folks!

Cmac

Reaction score
If you believed in this team, I am not sure why or how after yesterday.
Because the draw worked yesterday, KMoore thinks it will work against the Vikes, next. He seems to forget other teams look at film too. And after it fails, the run will get abandoned. Wait for it. Our future HC.

nobody

Reaction score
Your reply to him saying he's a Cowboys fan was clearly expressing doubt that he's telling the truth. The fact that he's been a fan since before Dak came along would seem to poke some big ol' holes in your disbelief.

I don't think you're going to get through to him. Some people are view things as absolutes. Either you put all of the blame on one guy no matter what or you're a slobbering fan of that guy to the detriment of the team. Never mind that the defense allowed GB to score 31 points. The loss was 100% on Dak. lol.... that's laughable.

It was a team loss and all rational fans know that. Dak obviously contributed to that loss. He played very poorly at times. But so did most of the team. Still, you're arguing with someone who likely won't acknowledge that.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The only reason we did believe was because of our top 10 defense which was averaging only giving up about 14 points a game which led us to a 6-2 record.

The fact this was our first time in franchise history to squander a 14 point lead heading into the 4th qtr in 196 tries is not a good indicator headed down the stretch.

GMO415

Reaction score
I’m not a “Dak fan”. I’m a Cowboys fan.
Speak on it Bullet!

I agree with all your points. Basically, this is a 12-5 team. They can't be something they're not, and they can't stop the run. They can't put away good teams.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We’ll see how we bounce back from this loss but if we lose to Minn then with NY coming in for Thanksgiving we could be looking at 6-5.

Then all of a sudden even making th e playoffs comes into question .

Our defense has to respond . We can’t give up 14 point leads in 4th qtr. And or give up 30 points a game amd then need our QB to have to become pass happy. It’s not a winning formula .

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
If you believed in this team, I am not sure why or how after yesterday.
It’s the entire league. That’s why they say any given Sunday. I don’t trust any team out there

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Speak on it Bullet!

I agree with all your points. Basically, this is a 12-5 team. They can't be something they're not, and they can't stop the run. They can't put away good teams.
And if we can’t put away good teams then we have to become pass happy to out score them which isn’t a recipe for success for us.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Not so fun fact: Until yesterday the Dallas Cowboys were 195-0 when leading by 14 or more pts going into the fourth quarter. Make that 195-1. THAT was an historic meltdown to a team that was reeling.

Honestly- There is plenty of blame to go around for this loss:
  • Dak was awful at times yesterday. Poor decisions, inaccurate throws. Not a good day for #4.
  • Receivers were lazy on multiple routes- Cedee Lamb and Dalton Schultz practically ran the same route on Dak’s first INT. Lamb’s route running is sloppy.
  • It’s Kellen Moore’s 4th season as OC. Yesterday he looked like a rookie OC again. The Cowboys ran the ball well but did not stick with it at critical moments.
  • Penalties…again. The Tolbert penalty was pee wee football stupid. Lining up offsides is stupid for a defensive player- BUT for a WR??? Inexcusable. And stupid penalties overall were once again a central cause for a loss. Donovan Wilson’s mindless hit out of bounds…Just stupid.
  • The team’s supposed strength- the Defense- cannot stop the run. Period. And then there’s the poor tackling.
Yesterday’s loss probably cost them any shot at the division. The season is far from over. Eight games are left. This team still has plenty of chances to do something. But when you see the same old problems over and over…it makes it harder to believe in this entire organization.
It's time to light a fire under this teams *** and fire M "CHUBS"M. He's without a doubt one of the worse HCs in the league. Rogers got him fired when he was in GB and Rogers should be the reason he should be fired this week. Rogers came into this game pretty beat up, but his AAA Packer club bent BUT didn't break against what was supposed to be a superior team. These lackluster games have to go and it starts with the firing of MM!

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
We’ll see how we bounce back from this loss but if we lose to Minn then with NY coming in for Thanksgiving we could be looking at 6-5.

Then all of a sudden even making th e playoffs comes into question .

Our defense has to respond . We can’t give up 14 point leads in 4th qtr. And or give up 30 points a game amd then need our QB to have to become pass happy. It’s not a winning formula .
I’ve been asking for a defensive tackle, I believe like 10 seasons now. We still can’t stop the burn. Remind me of playing the Rams in the playoffs