CFZ Historic Meltdown

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Oh . . . I thought it was because they can't bring themselves it criticize him . . . they always gotta make an excuse
It’s OK to critique. But some people are extreme either way. They want to put it on one person or one thing. When it’s an entire team

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’ve been asking for a defensive tackle, I believe like 10 seasons now. We still can’t stop the burn. Remind me of playing the Rams in the playoffs
We didn’t stop the run for the first 8 games with a bottom tier rushing defense either but didn’t give up 31 points or a 14 point lead in 4th qtr.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Not so fun fact: Until yesterday the Dallas Cowboys were 195-0 when leading by 14 or more pts going into the fourth quarter. Make that 195-1. THAT was an historic meltdown to a team that was reeling.

Honestly- There is plenty of blame to go around for this loss:
  • Dak was awful at times yesterday. Poor decisions, inaccurate throws. Not a good day for #4.
  • Receivers were lazy on multiple routes- Cedee Lamb and Dalton Schultz practically ran the same route on Dak’s first INT. Lamb’s route running is sloppy.
  • It’s Kellen Moore’s 4th season as OC. Yesterday he looked like a rookie OC again. The Cowboys ran the ball well but did not stick with it at critical moments.
  • Penalties…again. The Tolbert penalty was pee wee football stupid. Lining up offsides is stupid for a defensive player- BUT for a WR??? Inexcusable. And stupid penalties overall were once again a central cause for a loss. Donovan Wilson’s mindless hit out of bounds…Just stupid.
  • The team’s supposed strength- the Defense- cannot stop the run. Period. And then there’s the poor tackling.
Yesterday’s loss probably cost them any shot at the division. The season is far from over. Eight games are left. This team still has plenty of chances to do something. But when you see the same old problems over and over…it makes it harder to believe in this entire organization.
BH, when was Dak awful? List the plays...

I'm tired of hearing people complain, but they never list on which plays.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
It’s Kellen Moore’s 4th season as OC. Yesterday he looked like a rookie OC again. The Cowboys ran the ball well but did not stick with it at critical moments.

There were some discussions about the OC not long ago. I don't understand \ defend everything KM does but his offense did put points on the board. Yes, he should have ran more. However, I can't help but ask are the schemes bad or the execution poor? I doubt anyone was complaining when we went up by 14. Folks seem to acknowledge that even the unsuccessful plays would have worked if the players had performed correctly.

ICP

Reaction score
Historically, at least over the past 25 or so years we have been excellent when it comes to melt downs. One of the things we truly excell at.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Steve I guess I’m not that smart. I just didn’t understand what Romo had to do with this thread.
I will say again....a quote gone bad. The save function here is nice....until you back out....and accidently post what you backed out of.

I'll do my best to correct it and let you know the intent.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There were some discussions about the OC not long ago. I don't understand \ defend everything KM does but his offense did put points on the board. Yes, he should have ran more. However, I can't help but ask are the schemes bad or the execution poor? I doubt anyone was complaining when we went up by 14. Folks seem to acknowledge that even the unsuccessful plays would have worked if the players had performed correctly.
We have an above average offense. We have talent at multiple positions. And yes it did put up 28 yesterday. But my problems with the offense are many:
  • We seem to run a lot of old fashioned route trees in the passing game. Looking at what a lot of teams do to get their receivers open is way ahead of the Cowboys. Look at what the pack did yesterday on that 4th and 7 route that was a TD. We don’t have many “scheme routes”. These are routes where the play design gets them open more than the individual talent of the player.
  • Kellen Moore seems to abandon the running game at strange times. We averaged 5 yards a carry yesterday yet seemed quick to pull the plug too son on running the ball.
  • I think a lot of the schemes on offense are pretty vanilla compared to the rest of the league.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
BH, when was Dak awful? List the plays...

I'm tired of hearing people complain, but they never list on which plays.
You want to individually argue every one of his 46 passes or can you not accept he had some poor passes?

It’s Dak fans and apologist that give those of us who legitimately argue on his behalf while also offering just criticism problems against Dak Hacks.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We have an above average offense. We have talent at multiple positions. And yes it did put up 28 yesterday. But my problems with the offense are many:
  • We seem to run a lot of old fashioned route trees in the passing game. Looking at what a lot of teams do to get their receivers open is way ahead of the Cowboys. Look at what the pack did yesterday on that 4th and 7 route that was a TD. We don’t have many “scheme routes”. These are routes where the play design gets them open more than the individual talent of the player.
  • Kellen Moore seems to abandon the running game at strange times. We averaged 5 yards a carry yesterday yet seemed quick to pull the plug too son on running the ball.
  • I think a lot of the schemes on offense are pretty vanilla compared to the rest of the league.
All good points .

I wonder why our offense is so vanilla . Is this because of our QB?

Is Prescott capable of making the same passes and routes a QB like Rodgers amd others can make ?

I wonder how much our passing game is curbed because of our QB?

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All good points .

I wonder why our offense is so vanilla . Is this because of our QB?

Is Prescott capable of making the same passes and routes a QB like Rodgers amd others can make ?

I wonder how much our passing game is curbed because of our QB?
Cooper won games he shouldn't have. Why can't Dak.
This is a question we must have courage to ask and solve.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Not so fun fact: Until yesterday the Dallas Cowboys were 195-0 when leading by 14 or more pts going into the fourth quarter. Make that 195-1. THAT was an historic meltdown to a team that was reeling.

• Dak was awful at times yesterday. Poor decisions, inaccurate throws. Not a good day for #4.
  • Receivers were lazy on multiple routes- Cedee Lamb and Dalton Schultz practically ran the same route on Dak’s first INT. Lamb’s route running is sloppy.
  • It’s Kellen Moore’s 4th season as OC. Yesterday he looked like a rookie OC again. The Cowboys ran the ball well but did not stick with it at critical moments.
  • Penalties…again. The Tolbert penalty was pee wee football stupid. Lining up offsides is stupid for a defensive player- BUT for a WR??? Inexcusable. And stupid penalties overall were once again a central cause for a loss. Donovan Wilson’s mindless hit out of bounds…Just stupid.
  • The team’s supposed strength- the Defense- cannot stop the run. Period. And then there’s the poor tackling.
Yesterday’s loss probably cost them any shot at the division. The season is far from over. Eight games are left. This team still has plenty of chances to do something. But when you see the same old problems over and over…it makes it harder to believe in this entire organization.
We need to change the team's name to the Chokers. They do that way more often than cowboying up.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Cooper won games he shouldn't have. Why can't Dak.
This is a question we must have courage to ask and solve.
#1 our defense isn’t holding opponents to less than 15 points a game.

As a result our offense needs to be more productive which opens it up for turnovers.

We were having success because of our top 10 defense not our bottom tier offense.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score

Good post as usual Bob, but unfortunately we've all seen this movie before, it's called "The Garrett Years".

It's the same results, coming up short in big games and it just isn't on the QB, it was the whole team from the coaches on down.

It's the old saying "the fish stinks from the head" Jethro is the common denominator in all this - his "everyone is a superstar" culture will never let any of his teams reach full potential.

Coaches like Jimmy and Parcells know how to push players beyond their limit and as long as we get "player coaches" like Wade, Garret and Big Mac we will never go anywhere.

Very sad what this once model franchise has become.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
#1 our defense isn’t holding opponents to less than 15 points a game. As a result our offense needs to be more productive which opens it up for turnovers.

We were having success because of our top 10 defense not our bottom tier offense.
Maybe our slug offense helped the defense.

I know.... hard to wrap your head around that. Not for the faint of heart.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Maybe our slug offense helped the defense.

I know.... hard to wrap your head around that. Not for the faint of heart.
Dak certainly made some poor throws and some questionable calls while aborting the running game too early.

But our hopes of continued success this year rest more on our top 10 defense not our bottom tier offense.

If this defense can’t protect a lead when this offense puts up 28 points leading by 14 points into 4th qtr then we are going to be in trouble.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good post as usual Bob, but unfortunately we've all seen this movie before, it's called "The Garrett Years".

It's the same results, coming up short in big games and it just isn't on the QB, it was the whole team from the coaches on down.

It's the old saying "the fish stinks from the head" Jethro is the common denominator in all this - his "everyone is a superstar" culture will never let any of his teams reach full potential.

Coaches like Jimmy and Parcells know how to push players beyond their limit and as long as we get "player coaches" like Wade, Garret and Big Mac we will never go anywhere.

Very sad what this once model franchise has become.
Great post. And after 27 years of underperforming in the playoffs, this organization has 900 lb gorilla on its back that only a deep playoff run to at least an NFC championship can cure. Until then, no amount of hype, hope or regular season runs can get the gorilla off their back.