Historical inaccuracies in films

kskboys

Reaction score
Here's a fun one:

Star Wars, Return of the Jedi:

In the scene were the good guys are caught in the Ewok's trap, look carefully at the bait that was being used. It is most definitely a whitetail deer's butt w/ teeth.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
I'm a tank (military vehicle) fan...

I cringe when I see film after film (usually shot in the 60's or 70's) using then modern tanks to represent tanks used during WWII.

I can hold my nose while watching a fine film like "Patton" but "Battle of the Bulge" is so bad at so many levels the use of American M48 tanks for German Panther's is just frosting on an otherwise bad cake.

I would presume{?} it was much easier for the movie directors to have access to an ample number of Patton tanks as opposed to Panther/Tiger/2/Porsche.

Londonboy

Reaction score
giphy.gif

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would presume{?} it was much easier for the movie directors to have access to an ample number of Patton tanks as opposed to Panther/Tiger/2/Porsche.

Oh no question that factored into it.

But even then you probably wouldn't need many of the original... Camera trickery and what not, a few could be made appear as many.

In a "Bridge Too Far" a few Sherman tanks were used to portray an armored column.

In "Kelly's Hero's" they fashioned Russian T34's into Tiger I's.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Oh no question that factored into it.

But even then you probably wouldn't need many of the original... Camera trickery and what not, a few could be made appear as many.

In a "Bridge Too Far" a few Sherman tanks were used to portray an armored column.

In "Kelly's Hero's" they fashioned Russian T34's into Tiger I's.

At least they tried in Kelly's Heroes but the chassis and the turret placement being closer to the front is dead giveaway. At least in folklore the Tiger line and Panther tanks were portrayed as indestructible killing machines, while this partly true especially true with the Tiger and its 88mm gun and thick armor they were generally slower and more expensive compared to what the allies were putting out. Still can't imagine the dread especially a Sherman 75 crew felt when facing a Tiger.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At least they tried in Kelly's Heroes but the chassis and the turret placement being closer to the front is dead giveaway. At least in folklore the Tiger line and Panther tanks were portrayed as indestructible killing machines, while this partly true especially true with the Tiger and its 88mm gun and thick armor they were generally slower and more expensive compared to what the allies were putting out. Still can't imagine the dread especially a Sherman 75 crew felt when facing a Tiger.

It would be even worse if your Sherman got in the first shot and the shell simply bounced off the front of the Tiger and then it was now the Tiger's turn to fire...

SlammedZero

Reaction score
There is a YouTube channel called “history buffs”

They review films and discuss their historical accuracies and inaccuracies.

I find their YouTube videos to be quite entertaining.

check them out.

https://youtube.com/c/HistoryBuffsLondon

Their video on Saving Private Ryan is my favorite.

Dang it!! Another channel to get lost in the rabbit hole with! :laugh: I'm pretty certain my life is now more YouTube than regular TV. Thanks for the heads up on this. Checking it out now!