Historical inaccuracies in films

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Practically every western set in the 1870's-1880's used Winchester 1894s which of course didn't exist in the 70's-80's.

That and although I'm no expert on medieval times I suspect there may be some historical inaccuracies in Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bravely shouting insults from behind a castle wall.
ygd4pV.gif

Do not forget catapulting cows too! The French are very good at using farm animals as weapons of mass destruction. :p

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Watched Rambo 2 today and he fired a M72 LAW from a moving helicopter that was full of POWs. :laugh:Having fired one myself the back blast would have incinerated everyone behind it and probably brought his own helicopter down. Still have my instruction sheet from AT/Demolition class @ ITS Camp Pendleton.
x.jpg

Creeper

Reaction score
Every Oliver Stone movie?

It might be a shorter list to identify the movies that have been completely historically accurate. Our news networks can't be historically accurate when they report news that happened 10 minutes ago.

cowboyec

Reaction score
i love the Elvis movie from the 80s with kurt russel in the role of Elvis.
he captured the spirit of the man better than anyone has.

but in that movie...that dick clark produced...Elvis goes on tour after he comes home from the army.
it never happened.
Elvis' last tour was '57...just before he went in.
when he came home in '60...he made a tv appearance on frank sinatra...held a recording session for his 1st 60s lp Elvis Is Back...its now or never and are you lonesome tonight among others...and went off to hollywood to make movies.
Elvis would do some live performances in '61...in hawaii to raise money for the pearl harbor memorial...and 2 charity shows in memphis.
he would not perform live again until the 68 comeback special.
he would not tour again until sept of 1970.

its too bad it DIDN'T happen tho.
he could've had a european tour...then a welcome home tour...which is something Elvis wanted to do but it didn't happen.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Watched Rambo 2 today and he fired a M72 LAW from a moving helicopter that was full of POWs. :laugh:Having fired one myself the back blast would have incinerated everyone behind it and probably brought his own helicopter down. Still have my instruction sheet from AT/Demolition class @ ITS Camp Pendleton.
x.jpg
i love rambo.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
i love the Elvis movie from the 80s with kurt russel in the role of Elvis.
he captured the spirit of the man better than anyone has.

but in that movie...that dick clark produced...Elvis goes on tour after he comes home from the army.
it never happened.
Elvis' last tour was '57...just before he went in.
when he came home in '60...he made a tv appearance on frank sinatra...held a recording session for his 1st 60s lp Elvis Is Back...its now or never and are you lonesome tonight among others...and went off to hollywood to make movies.
Elvis would do some live performances in '61...in hawaii to raise money for the pearl harbor memorial...and 2 charity shows in memphis.
he would not perform live again until the 68 comeback special.
he would not tour again until sept of 1970.

its too bad it DIDN'T happen tho.
he could've had a european tour...then a welcome home tour...which is something Elvis wanted to do but it didn't happen.

Kurt was in 2 Elvis movies i believe, the one you are talking about and the one called 3000 Miles to Graceland.

aria

Reaction score
Being a history major I don’t even know where to start. I guess Young Guns 1 & 2 since I was somewhat of a Billy the Kid fanatic when I was younger. It’s been a long while since I’ve read the books and what not so I can’t vouch for all of these but a good percentage of them I know are true (as in they were inaccurate in the movies).

http://www.aboutbillythekid.com/young_guns.htm