HOMER ALERT!! (ES Thread)

bobtheflob

Reaction score
The problem is that all this will happen so far down the road that nobody will remember those stupid predictions. I predict Ware will make it to Canton. If he doesn't, I'll give anyone who calls me out on it $5. ;)

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
Portis isn't going to have a long enough career to challenge for a HOF nomination. He's had a lot of wear and tear on a small frame in a short amount of time. He's wildly talented as far as speed and raw athleticism goes, but he just doesn't have the gracefull running style that Payton, Emmitt and Curtis Martin had which lends itself to avoiding collisions. He's more straight-ahead kamikaze, shout out of a cannon style. Its effective, but it doesn't lend itself to a long career. He's averaged 350 carries a year since joining the Commanders, and at the end of the last year he was already showing signs of chronic neck and stinger injuries. Those don't tend to get better with more age and more wear. Ask Dat.

I have a feeling in the next 10 years we're going to see more "mediocre" backs going in, because of this... The life span of the RB has shortened considerably. The voters aren't only going by stats alone sure, but I think RBs that have 5 or so GREAT seasons will be getting in more regularly than they do now.

For example, Terrell Davis?? He had a handful of good years, led the Broncos to the SB. IMO he will probably get into the HOF, with stats that don't even get close to Emmitt or other HOF RBs... Of course the rings help though. So Portis, though he still has a ways to go, if he keeps it up, he'll probably get in. I figure he's the best shot on the current Skins roster anyway.

TheHustler

Reaction score
burmafrd said:
If Portis can keep it up for 4 more years then he has a good shot. But I just cannot see him holding up for that long. Roy if he keeps making the Pro Bowl will make the HOF. He has - what 2 or is it 3 already in 4 years. If he can make it to 6-7 he is in. 6-7 Pro Bowls usually gets you into the HOF. Maybe not first ballot, but eventually in. If he can get to 8-9, then he is in real soon after he retires.

3 in 4 years.

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
RiggoForever said:
I'd say Portis and Taylor are the only ones with a real shot at this point.

no, no, no, no, NO!

You're a Commanders fan, you're not supposed to be rational!

Eddie

Reaction score
hahaha

Let's laugh at the Commander fans for making extreme postings of pure homerism ... then we come back here and compare Skylar Green with Steve Smith, and Hatcher with Mario Williams.

karnak

Maybe they'll let Taylor out of the big house long enough to give his acceptance speech at Canton!:lmao:

bobbie brewskie

Reaction score
Eddie said:
hahaha

Let's laugh at the Commander fans for making extreme postings of pure homerism ... then we come back here and compare Skylar Green with Steve Smith, and Hatcher with Mario Williams.

haha, the difference is they say archuleta/Taylor are better than Roy and Portis is better than emmitt.

we say skyler green looks like steve smith when he plays (same build, same style) and Hatcher has comparable combine numbers. we never say taht green could be better than smith or hatcher better than williams . . .

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
bobbie brewskie said:
haha, the difference is they say archuleta/Taylor are better than Roy and Portis is better than emmitt.

we say skyler green looks like steve smith when he plays (same build, same style) and Hatcher has comparable combine numbers. we never say taht green could be better than smith or hatcher better than williams . . .

Archuleta is not in the same league as Roy or Taylor. Nowhere near the same physical talent though he does hit hard and play the run well.

Taylor is just as good as Roy, Roy has more game experience in his favor, but both are game-changing, big-play safeties that intimidate offenses.

Portis needs to play at least 6-7 more years at his current production to be even compared to Emmitt.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
RiggoForever said:
Archuleta is not in the same league as Roy or Taylor. Nowhere near the same physical talent though he does hit hard and play the run well.

Taylor is just as good as Roy, Roy has more game experience in his favor, but both are game-changing, big-play safeties that intimidate offenses.

Portis needs to play at least 6-7 more years at his current production to be even compared to Emmitt.

Hey, RiggoForNever...this is for thug Taylor and pee-pee Portis! You can have what is left over...
:dissskin:

bobbie brewskie

Reaction score
RiggoForever said:

no way is Taylor nearly as good as Roy, im sorry but Polamalu is the only SS in the league that is on the same level as Roy. Taylor definately can not compare to Roy in any way.

as for Portis 6-7 more years is going to be almost impossible, the guy averages over 350 carries a season and is no workhorse like emmitt or payton . . . this calls for a short career, expect him to drop out like most backs at age 30 (LATEST)

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
bobbie brewskie said:
no way is Taylor nearly as good as Roy, im sorry but Polamalu is the only SS in the league that is on the same level as Roy. Taylor definately can not compare to Roy in any way.

as for Portis 6-7 more years is going to be almost impossible, the guy averages over 350 carries a season and is no workhorse like emmitt or payton . . . this calls for a short career, expect him to drop out like most backs at age 30 (LATEST)

IMO Taylor is above and beyond Roy when it comes to pass coverage. Equal when it comes to big-play ability and hitting. Roy has the edge in blitzing the QB.

If you see how the Skins defense plays when Taylor is in the lineup versus when he was injured for a couple games midseason, as well as after his ejection in the Tampa game, the difference in the secondary is huge.

bobbie brewskie

Reaction score
RiggoForever said:
IMO Taylor is above and beyond Roy when it comes to pass coverage. Equal when it comes to big-play ability and hitting. Roy has the edge in blitzing the QB.

If you see how the Skins defense plays when Taylor is in the lineup versus when he was injured for a couple games midseason, as well as after his ejection in the Tampa game, the difference in the secondary is huge.

Taylor is not "above and beyond" roy in any aspect, Roy is solid in coverage, it definately is not his strong suit but he can do it better than most SS in the league. Big-play ability and hitting Roy definately has the edge, he is the hardest hitting SS in football and dont even get me started on the big plays he has created, and blitzing the QB we all know . . . ROY! btw Roy Williams is All-Pro and the best Sean Taylor has done is Pro-Bowl.

With Roy off the field the cowboys lose out as well, he is the best player on that defense next to Newman. without Roy on the field teams are not scared to go across the middle, their running games are boosted immidiatly and they have to worry about 1 less person coming at the QB. Sean Taylor is solid and all, but in no way does he have as big of an impact on the game as Roy Williams.

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
bobbie brewskie said:
Taylor is not "above and beyond" roy in any aspect, Roy is solid in coverage, it definately is not his strong suit but he can do it better than most SS in the league..

I agree, better then most SS in the league. Taylor is a FS though and is better in coverage then Roy. Blitzing no...hitting is arguable...but coverage I won't concede.

Just look at this an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e5o-hwZnTU

Bizwah

Reaction score
RiggoForever said:
I agree, better then most SS in the league. Taylor is a FS though and is better in coverage then Roy. Blitzing no...hitting is arguable...but coverage I won't concede.

I'll have to agree that ST has the advantage on RW in coverage. But as you said, he's a FS.

I will say that most love to dog RW and his coverage skills (or lack thereof), but he's actually solid. I remember him running stride for stride with Jimmy Williams and making a great pick of a Brunell pass.

Taylor reminds my physically of a young Darren Woodson. DW was faster than Taylor (4.4 forty) and had a 42 inch vertical jump. But Taylor isn't a slouch. He covers as much ground as Woody.....

aznhalf

Reaction score
Why does everyone act like ST is so good in coverage?

I've seen him burned quite a bit, just off the top of my head I remember the last Eagles game were ST blew coverage on Lewis giving up a huge gain.

And he takes horrible angles on the run, that people don't pay enough notice too. You know that LT run in OT? Guess which side of the field they ran it too. While the SS (think it was Bowen or Clark) is the one who blew a tackle and everyone points the finger at he came from the other side of the field to make the play. Taylor is the one who takes a plain dumb angle trying to make a big play (though he really didn't have a shot at one) and lost them the game.

bobbie brewskie

Reaction score
RiggoForever said:

hitting - NO WAY! Roy Williams is the hardest hitting safety in the league end of story, ST is after Rodney Harrison if hes lucky.

and Sean Taylor covers like a SS. Roy Williams is solid in coverage like listed 2 posts above me, sean taylor may be better at it. but roy williams is the more rounded S of the 2.