HOMER ALERT!! (ES Thread)

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
THE AARDVARK'S PREDICTIONS

I'm a die hard Skins fan, so it hurts me to think about the talent we have let go. I beleive that Champ Bailey will make the HoF. The rest of the guys, A.Pierce, Smoot, and Lavar, will have a hard time getting in.

Champ Bailey, Probably so... he's that kind of quality cover CB...

Smoot??? little Deion wanna be, get real...
A. Pierce, NOPE...
Freelancing LaVar... There are WAY too many linebackers in Canton presently who have shown more quality, desire, and skill to warrant a spot for this guy IMO. Wasn't LaVar benched for part of last season?? LaVar has good measurables physically, but his head aint one of them. NOPE.

1)Marcus Washington... Who the **** is Marcus Washington. Isn't he an old DB? HOF??? Whatever dude

2)Clinton Portis(Emmit Smith had only 3 years of rushing for 1500, or more yards over a 15 year career. CP has 3 years of 1,500 yards or better, and he's entering into his fifth year as a pro.) OOOH! He's entering his 5th year... Well buddy you got another career of a RB left to beat that record... It's called durability and Emmitt was HANDS DOWN the most durable RB in NFL history.

3) Chris Samuel, Randy Thomas, and Jon Jansen... Jon Jansen honorable mention because I like the guy, but the rest of them... :lmao2: :lmao: :lmao2:

On the bubble:

1)Marc Brunell(has a 84.9 QB rating, and has thrown for over 30,000 yards. He needs a ring to solidify his induction to Canton IMO.) Brunell...:eek: The guy was washed up in 2000 and Joe Gibbs resurrected his career... Hell, even I can make a Model T do neat things with new tires and a Chevy 350.

2) Shawn Springs(The enigma. Has over 30 int's in his career. I don't think the writers will vote him in, but the players might.) Been injured too much in his career... NOPE
With promise:

1) Sean Taylor (The man commands respect, and he might be the single reason Safety's are being considered in the top of the draft. 6'2 230 and runs a 4.3. And he delivers hits with the suddlety of a sledge hammer, and covers like a cb. Check out these #'s 120 tackles, 2 sacks, and 6 ints. Nobody even comes close over their first two years at FS.) HMMM, HMMMM!!!! Man my throat... There was once a dude drafted #8 overall named... oh what's his name... OH YEAH ROY WILLIAMS... Enough said here!! Next question!

2) C. Griffin(Once again I don't know if the writers will vote him in, but I think the players from his era will.) Another teams leftover UFA that Danny Boy throws money at...

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
Joe a Cowboys fan said:
Ok let's be honest here. TO or Portis so far will not go in as Cowboys or Skins respectively. TO like Deion will go in with their original teams or whomever they decide to go with, Portis make think fondly of a great Broncos OL that got him his yards.

Lets get down to the home growns. Roy or Sean might either get in the HOF eventually. But I think both will need several SB credentials first so they do not get hung with the coaching vs play BS. Both are great players and have the potential, now will they exceed their potential is the question.

Witten has the potential if we ever get him a better QB or if Drew survives long enough for us to get him a great OL. Witten has talent no doubt in my mind but will he ever get a chance to show case it and do so over another 10 years or so.

Dallas lost one potential HOF in LA who had the SB credentials and the years of play. But if he is honest with himself he will go in as a Cowboy. Dallas currently has too many young players and too many retreads(Bill's players) to say we have HOF potential at this point. Like talking about the 90 and 91 Cowboys, still looking for a team identity and puting it together on the field. Until we win a SB we could be Danny White Cowboys, not Troy or Roger Cowboys for example.

The Skins are in the same position IMO, looking for someone (that potential HOF) to take the team on his shoulders and drag them into the big game. So far I haven't seen either having a player with that determination. That Ronnie Lott steely eyed determination. But it will have to come out for either teams players to have a shot at the HOF. That or a 12 plus year career with top three stats. But do either of us want a Dan Marino type, all play but never wining the big dance? LOL
You don't "declare a team" when you go to the NFL Hall of Fame... I think you're getting confused with Baseball. In the NFL, you just get inducted without any team affiliation.

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
Danny White said:
You don't "declare a team" when you go to the NFL Hall of Fame... I think you're getting confused with Baseball. In the NFL, you just get inducted without any team affiliation.

Right, I think its more deciding which team you officially want to retire under and be eligible for induction into their Ring of Fame etc.

Gamebreaker

Benched
Reaction score
aznhalf said:
Why does everyone act like ST is so good in coverage?

Because he is, maybe you should watch some of the games and find out for yourself.

I've seen him burned quite a bit, just off the top of my head I remember the last Eagles game were ST blew coverage on Lewis giving up a huge gain.

I don't recall that at all. Not saying it never happened, but could you be more specific. Which game? Which season?

And he takes horrible angles on the run, that people don't pay enough notice too. You know that LT run in OT? Guess which side of the field they ran it too. While the SS (think it was Bowen or Clark) is the one who blew a tackle and everyone points the finger at he came from the other side of the field to make the play. Taylor is the one who takes a plain dumb angle trying to make a big play (though he really didn't have a shot at one) and lost them the game.

You just contradicted yourself by saying he had no chance at making a play anyway. How can you criticise a player trying to make a play when he had little chance of doing so? Don't even bother to respond if you're not going to be objective about it.

Gamebreaker

Benched
Reaction score
bobbie brewskie said:
hitting - NO WAY! Roy Williams is the hardest hitting safety in the league end of story, ST is after Rodney Harrison if hes lucky.

and Sean Taylor covers like a SS. Roy Williams is solid in coverage like listed 2 posts above me, sean taylor may be better at it. but roy williams is the more rounded S of the 2.

Taylor is one of the hardest hitters in the game. Who was a regular on ESPN's 'Jacked Up' every week? Taylor. Who made Crayton fumble the ball into the air like it was punt? Taylor. Who made JJ Arrington choose to eat dirt than to go head up with Taylor with only 2 yards needed for a first down that could possibly extend a game winning drive? Taylor.

If Taylor covered like a SS, than TO wouldn't have been shut down so well aganist us.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
The thread is pretty ridiculous, most Skins fans will even agree with you on that one.

The only one with a real shot is Portis.

Derinyar

Reaction score
Gamebreaker said:
Taylor is one of the hardest hitters in the game. Who was a regular on ESPN's 'Jacked Up' every week? Taylor. Who made Crayton fumble the ball into the air like it was punt? Taylor. Who made JJ Arrington choose to eat dirt than to go head up with Taylor with only 2 yards needed for a first down that could possibly extend a game winning drive? Taylor.

If Taylor covered like a SS, than TO wouldn't have been shut down so well aganist us.
You do realize that TO didn't actually play against the Skins last year right? In either game right?

Gamebreaker

Benched
Reaction score
Derinyar said:
You do realize that TO didn't actually play against the Skins last year right? In either game right?

You do realize TO played in both games in 2004. Check his stats out, although you won't find anything much to look at.

Derinyar

Reaction score
Gamebreaker said:
You do realize TO played in both games in 2004. Check his stats out, although you won't find anything much to look at.
And your claim therefore is that since he didn't do anything in two games that Taylor is the main reason. Its still specious logic, if you want to call it that. I'm sorry but right now Taylor isn't a great player, hes probably a good one, and a stupid one.

Also considering in one of those games ya'll allowed Pinkston to go over 100 on you, and almost over in the other.

So you shut down TO while letting a lesser WR go to town.

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
Derinyar said:
And your claim therefore is that since he didn't do anything in two games that Taylor is the main reason. Its still specious logic, if you want to call it that. I'm sorry but right now Taylor isn't a great player, hes probably a good one, and a stupid one.

Also considering in one of those games ya'll allowed Pinkston to go over 100 on you, and almost over in the other.

So you shut down TO while letting a lesser WR go to town.

We now have solid cover corners on both sides with Springs and Carlos Rogers, our pass rush has been bolstered and we have two of the hardest hitting safeties in the game.

I'm more concerned with players like Witten and Westbrook then I am with any of the WRs we will have to face.

aznhalf

Reaction score
Gamebreaker said:

Did you check the stats of Westbrook, Pinkston, and Lewis for those games? If memory serves me correctly they were pretty ridiculous.

Go ahead and shift your protection to TO and see what happens. Go ahead and double him the entire game, didn't you lose those games in 04' ?:laugh2:

sacase

Reaction score
Gamebreaker said:

Yep in the first game McNabb still threw for 4 TD's against you...so yeah Taylor shut down the passing game.

In the second game Pinkston had 99 yards. Pinkston....lol:lmao:

Fact is Roy far and away destroys more people that ST does. Now ST likes to hit folks after they have went out of bounds. About the only catagory ST leads RW in is personal fouls and fines.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
RiggoForever said:
Premature, maybe. All I know is that every team's fans the week before we play their team, acknowledge Taylor is a force to be reckoned with.

As for the Pro Bowl, Newman should have made the Pro Bowl last year, but didn't. If Newman and Taylor play at the same level this year and don't make it, somethings wrong. Hell, Michael Vick made the Pro Bowl last year over both Bledsoe and Brunell.

but Newman was arguably the best CB in football last year, Taylor wasn't arguably the best S though, there's a difference

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
but Newman was arguably the best CB in football last year, Taylor wasn't arguably the best S though, there's a difference

I'd argue that he was arguably the best FS, at least top 3.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
RiggoForever said:
We now have solid cover corners on both sides with Springs and Carlos Rogers, our pass rush has been bolstered and we have two of the hardest hitting safeties in the game.

I'm more concerned with players like Witten and Westbrook then I am with any of the WRs we will have to face.

sorry, Rogers may be headed for a great career, but I can't see him defending Glenn or esp. TO one-on-one, that means you'll be sending a S to his side, leaving less attention on Witten, ouch, and honestly, I can see TO eating Springs alive

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
sorry, Rogers may be headed for a great career, but I can't see him defending Glenn or esp. TO one-on-one, that means you'll be sending a S to his side, leaving less attention on Witten, ouch, and honestly, I can see TO eating Springs alive

We did very well against TO the two times we played them with Springs and ST. I anticipate we play alot of 4-2-5 in passing situations against you. Gregg Williams has hinted that we are playing more corner packages this year in his latest press conference.

We have these things in our favor:

-Taylor can play a safety or CB or LB role
-Archuleta a safety or LB
-Prioleau safety or CB
-3 cover corners who can tackle, therefore blitz
-speed at LB, good for blitzing or coverage
-a DE that can play LB
-DE's that can play DT

Its going to be very interesting strategy wise. Williams schemes show alot of versatility in his use of personnel.

Gamebreaker

Benched
Reaction score
Derinyar said:
And your claim therefore is that since he didn't do anything in two games that Taylor is the main reason. Its still specious logic, if you want to call it that.

Taylor gave help to Springs on TO, made him a non-factor in both games. This isn't a simple claim I'm making, I watched the games and this is exactly what happened.

I'm sorry but right now Taylor isn't a great player, hes probably a good one, and a stupid one.

I'm sorry you aren't objective enough to give a better opinion.

Why is this relevant? You're obviously looking at box scores and scraping for something to retort with. Stop wasting your time. Taylor's assignment was to double cover whereever TO was on the field. This left Smoot in man coverage aganist Pinkston with no safety help.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
RiggoForever said:
We did very well against TO the two times we played them with Springs and ST.

but the Eagles didn't have Glenn as the other wideout, or Witten as a TE, not to mention the added wrinkle of having Fasano, but I will agree that we're not going to be having an easy time of it, and it will be interesting to see what happens