HOMER ALERT!! (ES Thread)

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Eskimo said:
Off the list he posted, Portis has a shot at it if he puts in another 5 years like his first 4.

that is true, HOFworthy is making some sort of impact on the game, numerous Pro Bowl appearances, records, large stats, only Portis has a snowball's chance in hell of making the HOF on any ballot

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
stilltheguru said:
lol at people saying TO has to produce another 2-3 years.ummm he is like top 5 all time in recieving tds.

HES IN ALREADY.

he wont' go in as a Cowboy unless he stays here all 3 years of his deal and we win a Super Bowl with him on the roster, the key phrase is, "all 3 years", cuz that means we kick him off the team if no 3 years, and he wont' want to be inducted as a Cowboy ;)

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
peplaw06 said:
=
For example, Terrell Davis?? He had a handful of good years, led the Broncos to the SB. IMO he will probably get into the HOF, with stats that don't even get close to Emmitt or other HOF RBs...

at least TD did something of note, such as rush for over 2,000 yards in a season, something only HOF Rbs have been able to do

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Eddie said:
hahaha

Let's laugh at the Commander fans for making extreme postings of pure homerism ... then we come back here and compare Skylar Green with Steve Smith, and Hatcher with Mario Williams.

that's not as bad as predicting HOF careers

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
RiggoForever said:
Archuleta is not in the same league as Roy or Taylor. Nowhere near the same physical talent though he does hit hard and play the run well.

Taylor is just as good as Roy, Roy has more game experience in his favor, but both are game-changing, big-play safeties that intimidate offenses.

Portis needs to play at least 6-7 more years at his current production to be even compared to Emmitt.

:hammer: all of it

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
RiggoForever said:
If you see how the Skins defense plays when Taylor is in the lineup versus when he was injured for a couple games midseason, as well as after his ejection in the Tampa game, the difference in the secondary is huge.

well unfortunately ;) Roy hasn't missed too many games

why I feel Taylor is just a step below Roy, opposing Ds aren't too worried about where he's on the field, on the otherhand, once Roy inches up to the LOS, opposing Os call audibles because they know he's on the blitz, and receivers look out for him in the middle of the field

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Bizwah said:
I will say that most love to dog RW and his coverage skills (or lack thereof), but he's actually solid.

he was better than the almighty Troy Polamalu in coverage last year

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Eddie said:
hahaha

Let's laugh at the Commander fans for making extreme postings of pure homerism ... then we come back here and compare Skylar Green with Steve Smith, and Hatcher with Mario Williams.

We say Green "looks like" Smith... mainly in the way he moves and his build. We're not saying he's comparable... yet.

And what's wrong with comparing Hatcher to Williams?? Last I checked they're both rookied who have yet to prove anything on the next level. Just because Williams was the #1 pick doesn't mean he's definitely going to be better than Hatcher. They compare pretty favorably. Williams has a little better numbers in the measurables, but that's why he was the #1 pick.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
RiggoForever said:
I'd say Portis and Taylor are the only ones with a real shot at this point.

I'd say it's premature to judge whether or not Sean will ultimately wind up in the HOF... if he had a few years of Pro Bowl caliber play, maybe... but the guy has what, 2 seasons in the NFL?? And no Pro Bowl appearances to go with them...

As for Portis, another 2 or 3 years worth of the kind of production he's had to date ought to get him in... I see no reason why he can't continue to produce at that level...

And eventually, if he continues to play at a high level for a while younger, Chris Samuels might be able to make a case for admission...

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
well unfortunately ;) Roy hasn't missed too many games

why I feel Taylor is just a step below Roy, opposing Ds aren't too worried about where he's on the field, on the otherhand, once Roy inches up to the LOS, opposing Os call audibles because they know he's on the blitz, and receivers look out for him in the middle of the field

They play different positions, so I admit Roy is the better blitzer. Could you imagine RW and Sean Taylor in the same defensive backfield? It would be sick. You all better lock up Roy before he becomes a free agent next season lol...I don't think we'll make a play for him as we have Archuleta long term but you know other teams will. I often view RW as more of a linebacker hybrid. He could be scary this year if Coleman or Watkins actually have any range in coverage.

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
silverbear said:
I'd say it's premature to judge whether or not Sean will ultimately wind up in the HOF... if he had a few years of Pro Bowl caliber play, maybe... but the guy has what, 2 seasons in the NFL?? And no Pro Bowl appearances to go with them...

As for Portis, another 2 or 3 years worth of the kind of production he's had to date ought to get him in... I see no reason why he can't continue to produce at that level...

And eventually, if he continues to play at a high level for a while younger, Chris Samuels might be able to make a case for admission...

Premature, maybe. All I know is that every team's fans the week before we play their team, acknowledge Taylor is a force to be reckoned with.

As for the Pro Bowl, Newman should have made the Pro Bowl last year, but didn't. If Newman and Taylor play at the same level this year and don't make it, somethings wrong. Hell, Michael Vick made the Pro Bowl last year over both Bledsoe and Brunell.

Eddie

Reaction score
peplaw06 said:
And what's wrong with comparing Hatcher to Williams?? Last I checked they're both rookied who have yet to prove anything on the next level. Just because Williams was the #1 pick doesn't mean he's definitely going to be better than Hatcher. They compare pretty favorably. Williams has a little better numbers in the measurables, but that's why he was the #1 pick.

Sorry ... that's straight up homer talk.

No one else in the NFL would compare the two players.

Sorry. ES is waiting for you.

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
aznhalf said:
Why does everyone act like ST is so good in coverage?

I've seen him burned quite a bit, just off the top of my head I remember the last Eagles game were ST blew coverage on Lewis giving up a huge gain.

And he takes horrible angles on the run, that people don't pay enough notice too. You know that LT run in OT? Guess which side of the field they ran it too. While the SS (think it was Bowen or Clark) is the one who blew a tackle and everyone points the finger at he came from the other side of the field to make the play. Taylor is the one who takes a plain dumb angle trying to make a big play (though he really didn't have a shot at one) and lost them the game.

It was Clark who missed the tackle. Remember that Taylor is an FS, so he plays a lesser role in run support. If he was out of position, you must note that our defense was tired and demoralized at that point, as we had let the Chargers come back from 17-7 in the 4th quarter and missed a field goal to win the game in regulation. You all lost a similar game in similar fashion against Denver...it happens.

He's still one of the best FS's out there, and I honestly think he could play SS or corner if needed. He's not perfect but I believe he'll go down as one of the best.

aznhalf

Reaction score
RiggoForever said:
You all lost a similar game in similar fashion against Denver...it happens.

I agree, but why is it when our player blows an assignment he is branded a liability and overrated for life?

dal0789

Reaction score
ravidubey said:
This is the absolute truth-- completely insufferable from one year of success. Try living in the DC metropolitan area!

Believe me I feel you

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
aznhalf said:
I agree, but why is it when our player blows an assignment he is branded a liability and overrated for life?

I think its the nature of the beast when you play in Pro Bowls. For example (me being one of them), a number of people think Vick made the Pro Bowl last year more on past performance and popularity rather then play in 2005.

I'm not one to say anybody in the Dallas secondary is overrated, because I don't believe that to be the case at all. If anything I think Newman was shafted out of the Pro Bowl.

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
the DoNkEy PuNcH said:
Anyone who carries a gun around and aims it at people commands respect. I wonder how much respect he'll command in prison.

Considering the case has been delayed 7 times, and the man prosecuting this case resigned over misconduct, as well as the fact that ST is working out at Commanders Park lead me to believe the charges will either be dismissed or bargained to a misdemeanor.

Joe a Cowboys fan

Reaction score
Ok let's be honest here. TO or Portis so far will not go in as Cowboys or Skins respectively. TO like Deion will go in with their original teams or whomever they decide to go with, Portis make think fondly of a great Broncos OL that got him his yards.

Lets get down to the home growns. Roy or Sean might either get in the HOF eventually. But I think both will need several SB credentials first so they do not get hung with the coaching vs play BS. Both are great players and have the potential, now will they exceed their potential is the question.

Witten has the potential if we ever get him a better QB or if Drew survives long enough for us to get him a great OL. Witten has talent no doubt in my mind but will he ever get a chance to show case it and do so over another 10 years or so.

Dallas lost one potential HOF in LA who had the SB credentials and the years of play. But if he is honest with himself he will go in as a Cowboy. Dallas currently has too many young players and too many retreads(Bill's players) to say we have HOF potential at this point. Like talking about the 90 and 91 Cowboys, still looking for a team identity and puting it together on the field. Until we win a SB we could be Danny White Cowboys, not Troy or Roger Cowboys for example.

The Skins are in the same position IMO, looking for someone (that potential HOF) to take the team on his shoulders and drag them into the big game. So far I haven't seen either having a player with that determination. That Ronnie Lott steely eyed determination. But it will have to come out for either teams players to have a shot at the HOF. That or a 12 plus year career with top three stats. But do either of us want a Dan Marino type, all play but never wining the big dance? LOL