Honor the contract garbage

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Because you are holding to the "pay all of them highest contract ever" idea based on what "sources" said they've asked. I never said that because I know it's agent hype (if that) as none of the players have a quote saying such. Of the 3, only Zeke is at the top of his profession plus he's our most important player. This is why I fully support him being highest paid RB. If Dak were just as good at his position, then I'd concede that we're in a tight position but no way Dak should get the highest QB deal ever. Neither should Cooper for a WR. But in negotiations you ask for the world. Problem is, fans are "offended" by players doing such whether they hold out or not so you might as well hold out if the iron's hot like it is for Zeke right now, public opinion be damned.

It is not I who is holding to anything. I am not involved in the negotiations, just like you. They have offers in front of them. All three have good offers. How many have signed? I think you are confused here on whose holding to what.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I hope the Cowboys can somehow find success without Zeke. That will not only kill any perceived leverage Zeke may feel he has, it will also force him to come back to the negotiation table hoping Jerry doesn't assess him the hefty fine he has accumulated. No raise for Zeke!

MarcusRock

Reaction score
It is not I who is holding to anything. I am not involved in the negotiations, just like you. They have offers in front of them. All three have good offers. How many have signed? I think you are confused here on whose holding to what.

YOU say they're good offers but again this is what "sources" say. You always take the first or first few offers given to you even after I just explained how negotiations work? Again, the media wants to make the players out to be greedy because fans want to believe that.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
YOU say they're good offers but again this is what "sources" say. You always take the first or first few offers given to you even after I just explained how negotiations work? Again, the media wants to make the players out to be greedy because fans want to believe that.

If the Offer is fair and it's the first Offer, yeah. Yeah, I take it because you know what, I kinda negotiate for a living. Unlike some, I know that there are times when an Offer doesn't come around again. Sometimes, things change and what you had on the table today, might not be there tomorrow. That's the God's honest truth. Things happen, sometimes in your favor and sometimes not.

This entire discussion is based on the premise that Jerry and the organization are telling the truth about the offers. Honestly, Jerry has made it clear that he wants these guys signed. It goes without saying that if the reports are false then that's a different story but honestly, do you really think that Jerry and Stephen are going to allow a story like that continue to circulate if it's not factual? If it were found out to be false, that would hurt the teams position much more then help it. JMO

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
There’s a lot of professions that shorten their lives and risk later life health that make pennies compared to these guys and they want to break contracts over what’s equivalent to what most people don’t make in a life time? I have zero sympathy for any of them.

I’d be more likely to support teachers, firefighters and cops walking off the job for higher pay raises then these cry baby chumps who get payed millions to play a game.
The average NFL player makes less in their lifetime than many professions.
Generally guys who have dangerous jobs get paid more.
Dudes that work oil fields for instance.
Those guys make more in a lifetime than the avg NFL player.

No one feels sorry for a guy who makes 50+M unless of course he has CTE so bad that he kills himself.
But the low end guys on rookie deals get brutally hosed and the NFLPA looks out for the vested vet guys instead.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
If the Offer is fair and it's the first Offer, yeah. Yeah, I take it because you know what, I kinda negotiate for a living. Unlike some, I know that there are times when an Offer doesn't come around again. Sometimes, things change and what you had on the table today, might not be there tomorrow. That's the God's honest truth. Things happen, sometimes in your favor and sometimes not.

This entire discussion is based on the premise that Jerry and the organization are telling the truth about the offers. Honestly, Jerry has made it clear that he wants these guys signed. It goes without saying that if the reports are false then that's a different story but honestly, do you really think that Jerry and Stephen are going to allow a story like that continue to circulate if it's not factual? If it were found out to be false, that would hurt the teams position much more then help it. JMO

Right. Again YOU believe their offers are fair. If Zeke's offer is anything but top RB pay, I say it isn't. And Jerry wants them signed closer to any lowball offers they give so of course they think it's fair and so will anyone prone to believe players are greedy.

aria

Reaction score
The average NFL player makes less in their lifetime than many professions.
Generally guys who have dangerous jobs get paid more.
Dudes that work oil fields for instance.
Those guys make more in a lifetime than the avg NFL player.

No one feels sorry for a guy who makes 50+M unless of course he has CTE so bad that he kills himself.
But the low end guys on rookie deals get brutally hosed and the NFLPA looks out for the vested vet guys instead.
Key word being being average. Talking average starter or average player? Those guys also have to work for a “lifetime” to make that money whereas the players can work a 1/4th of that time and move on to something else if they actually applied themselves during their free ride in college.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Right. Again YOU believe their offers are fair. If Zeke's offer is anything but top RB pay, I say it isn't. And Jerry wants them signed closer to any lowball offers they give so of course they think it's fair and so will anyone prone to believe players are greedy.

Welcome to sitting out the season or playing for 3 mil. Good job on the negotiation. You've just screwed Zeke out of a good 10 mil this season, assuming you were his agent. I can't say I see the logic in this. It is what it is. You believe that the Cowboys should pay Zeke early on a record breaking deal. I'm telling you, I don't see that happening. If I'm wrong, I'll own up to that. If I'm right, Zeke will have cost himself a great deal of money and for what?

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Welcome to sitting out the season or playing for 3 mil. Good job on the negotiation. You've just screwed Zeke out of a good 10 mil this season, assuming you were his agent. I can't say I see the logic in this. It is what it is. You believe that the Cowboys should pay Zeke early on a record breaking deal. I'm telling you, I don't see that happening. If I'm wrong, I'll own up to that. If I'm right, Zeke will have cost himself a great deal of money and for what?

Yep. Strike while the iron's hot, and it is. We'll see.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Yep. Strike while the iron's hot, and it is. We'll see.

Strike while the iron is hot. Sounds like what Bell's agent might have said to him in 2018. Maybe what somebody told Marcus Allen, the same kind of thing. Unfortunately, Al Davis didn't buy in.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Strike while the iron is hot. Sounds like what Bell's agent might have said to him in 2018. Maybe what somebody told Marcus Allen, the same kind of thing. Unfortunately, Al Davis didn't buy in.

Life is about chances. Some you win, some you don't. Both are taking chances if they dig in but it sounds like Jerry wants a deal done and I think in the end it will be done.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Life is about chances. Some you win, some you don't. Both are taking chances if they dig in but it sounds like Jerry wants a deal done and I think in the end it will be done.

No. Life is about doing the smart thing, the right way. Youth chases taking chances and they often pay for it. Once you've been hurt and I'm not talking about losing a job or something trivial. I mean really get hurt, where it costs you for your entire life, you rethink that whole risk taking thing. Jerry is not gonna bend on this. He can't IMO. He can't tell his QB to take less and turn around and pay his RB top dollar. That's not gonna end well and you can say that Dak just needs to get right with it but that's not how it will work IMO. Your QB needs to lead and that doesn't help that cause. Jerry isn't doing what you think here. Not gonna happen. We will soon see.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Key word being being average. Talking average starter or average player? Those guys also have to work for a “lifetime” to make that money whereas the players can work a 1/4th of that time and move on to something else if they actually applied themselves during their free ride in college.
Average player. I have zero data on average starters but I'm sure it would lean heavily to the guys who last 7+ years and yes those guys are more than fine financially.
But outside of round 1/2 rookies make less than a mil a year for their entire rookie deal.
That doesnt even include practice squad guys who make far, far less.
A guy can spend 2 years on practice squads then 3 years in the actual league and have earned less than 4M. At that point he is ~29 with no business experience of any sort.
He's spent 9 or more years from college to pro career training hardcore and now needs a new career.
He's likely paid an agent 3% of his salaries and been in a tax bracket designed for folks who make that type of money every year for their lifetimes not a couple of seasons.
These guys usually end up teaching school and coaching football. I know a large handful and they have net worths less then me but even more lingering injuries(I have some from hs/college ball).

The NFL has a rookie and vested veteran problem.
You have 90 guys per NFL camp and maybe 20 of them make real money.
Fans only think about the top 10-12 guys per roster when it comes to salary and unfortunately so does the NFLPA.

conner01

Reaction score
I kinda get tired of people who say that the only ones who are said to have to honor the contract are the players.

This is a complete fallacy. The contract allows for a player to be cut, that is the reason for the signing bonus and guaranteed money That is how the owners honor the contract according to the CBA. If you don't like the CBA, then fine, but you cannot say that the only ones expected to honor the contract are the players.

The NFLPA agreed to the 5th year option in rookie contracts, they did not have to do that but the older players were fine with limiting younger players salaries for the benefit of their own pocketbook.

Love watching Zeke play but why have a CBA and an NFLPA if you are not going to stick to the agreement? Nobody should be forced to go to work, so stay home Zeke if you want to ruin your career! If he does not show up week 1, I hope the Cowboys take the current offer off the table!
Teams don’t honor contracts, players don’t either
A fix is guaranteed contracts but teams don’t like that.
A team can cut a player under contract so it’s not like it’s just players
You have rich owners and diva players fighting over billions of dollars so I don’t see how you can really blame one side or the other
It’s the business the cba created

aikemirv

Reaction score
Teams don’t honor contracts, players don’t either
A fix is guaranteed contracts but teams don’t like that.
A team can cut a player under contract so it’s not like it’s just players
You have rich owners and diva players fighting over billions of dollars so I don’t see how you can really blame one side or the other
It’s the business the cba created

Teams do honor contracts - that is a fact. If they did not honor the contract they would be sued. Part of the contract allows for them to be cut! The signing bonus and guaranteed money account for that out by the owners. Honoring the contract is following the terms of the contract both express and implied.

aria

Reaction score
Average player. I have zero data on average starters but I'm sure it would lean heavily to the guys who last 7+ years and yes those guys are more than fine financially.
But outside of round 1/2 rookies make less than a mil a year for their entire rookie deal.
That doesnt even include practice squad guys who make far, far less.
A guy can spend 2 years on practice squads then 3 years in the actual league and have earned less than 4M. At that point he is ~29 with no business experience of any sort.
He's spent 9 or more years from college to pro career training hardcore and now needs a new career.
He's likely paid an agent 3% of his salaries and been in a tax bracket designed for folks who make that type of money every year for their lifetimes not a couple of seasons.
These guys usually end up teaching school and coaching football. I know a large handful and they have net worths less then me but even more lingering injuries(I have some from hs/college ball).

The NFL has a rookie and vested veteran problem.
You have 90 guys per NFL camp and maybe 20 of them make real money.
Fans only think about the top 10-12 guys per roster when it comes to salary and unfortunately so does the NFLPA.
If they know they’re not that good the. they shouldn’t stay, most of these guys figure it out pretty quick. I want to be an astronaut but realistically I know I’m not smart enough.

If they’re good enough to make it to the NFL then most likely they got 3-4 years of free college education that a lot of people spend years paying off. The smart ones would actually use that college education once they realize they aren’t good enough to be a starter in the NFL and get a real job like the rest of us.

So by your example, a low level guy in the league can make ~4 million in 9 years which doesn’t include taxes or 3% agent fees. That’s still a hell of a lot more than I’ll make in my career earning ~100K a year over 30 years. Even if he’s left with 3 mil at 29, at a modest 7% interest that’s 210K a year before taxes. Plus they’re still young enough to get good paying jobs and have a free college education. I also believe they get a “small” check from the league every month.

So what exactly is the problem here and why am I supposed to have any sympathy for them?

birdwells1

Reaction score
I understand Zeke' s situation and his "playing window" and he absolutely has a concern here. The fact is though that the senior players in the league who negotiate these CBA deals did not take any concern for the rookie deals and their playing window. They sacrificed those concerns for the vets (their own) salaries and contracts.

I do think the players have as much bargaining power as they can stomach though!

This is correct.

kskboys

Reaction score
If they know they’re not that good the. they shouldn’t stay, most of these guys figure it out pretty quick. I want to be an astronaut but realistically I know I’m not smart enough.

If they’re good enough to make it to the NFL then most likely they got 3-4 years of free college education that a lot of people spend years paying off. The smart ones would actually use that college education once they realize they aren’t good enough to be a starter in the NFL and get a real job like the rest of us.

So by your example, a low level guy in the league can make ~4 million in 9 years which doesn’t include taxes or 3% agent fees. That’s still a hell of a lot more than I’ll make in my career earning ~100K a year over 30 years. Even if he’s left with 3 mil at 29, at a modest 7% interest that’s 210K a year before taxes. Plus they’re still young enough to get good paying jobs and have a free college education. I also believe they get a “small” check from the league every month.

So what exactly is the problem here and why am I supposed to have any sympathy for them?
After a player plays 3 years, they get around 21,000 pension. I think it kicks in at age 55, but that was sorta vague.

Also, the longer you're in the league, the higher your minimum is, so if a guy plays 9 years, I'd guess he'd make more along the lines of 7-8 mil.

Playing in the NFL, even at the min, is an extremely high paying job, and pays more than almost any other job. Hades, even being on the PS. They get half the NFL min, which would be over a quarter mil.

Trying to claim NFL players aren't extremely well paid is foolish.