Honor the contract garbage

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
Last I checked the player is looking for a team. Like applying for a job. Some jobs, employees sign contracts. If you're not performing up to the standard in which you were when signed. Then, they can fire you. Simple business. They are investing in you. Also, an employee just can't decide to show up because he feels he deserves more cash and not work. Almost any one of us did that in the real world, we'd be fired.

The team is the employer. They can put whatever they want in there. The player has the choice to sign or not. There's no gimme's in this business.

Looking at this from a peasant's point of view, I'd sign for the rook min. at this point. lol. More money than I will make in my lifetime. lol

It's beyond ridiculous what these athletes make, but, if they can get it, more power to them.

Blake

Reaction score
How could you not?

If your sarcasm meter is broken. Then I guess you couldn't not.
It's probably more of an inside type of joke anyway, for those of us who dealt with the green weenie.
Something you civvies don't comprehend.
Nothing serious about it.

coult44

Reaction score
Yeah because my generation now understands that no one values you. They will use you and throw you to the trash once they are done with you. Thank goodness my generation was the one who woke up.

Your generation came up with analytics.. Do some homework and then tell me why the position is undervalued.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Average player. I have zero data on average starters but I'm sure it would lean heavily to the guys who last 7+ years and yes those guys are more than fine financially.
But outside of round 1/2 rookies make less than a mil a year for their entire rookie deal.
That doesnt even include practice squad guys who make far, far less.
A guy can spend 2 years on practice squads then 3 years in the actual league and have earned less than 4M. At that point he is ~29 with no business experience of any sort.
He's spent 9 or more years from college to pro career training hardcore and now needs a new career.
He's likely paid an agent 3% of his salaries and been in a tax bracket designed for folks who make that type of money every year for their lifetimes not a couple of seasons.
These guys usually end up teaching school and coaching football. I know a large handful and they have net worths less then me but even more lingering injuries(I have some from hs/college ball).

The NFL has a rookie and vested veteran problem.
You have 90 guys per NFL camp and maybe 20 of them make real money.
Fans only think about the top 10-12 guys per roster when it comes to salary and unfortunately so does the NFLPA.

This kinda comes down to, are you good enough or lucky enough (in many cases) to make a career in the NFL. I mean, we both know that the overwhelming majority of guys aren't and that's unfortunate but it's also the truth. Just speaking in terms of the players rookie deals, the top two rounds are different for sure but even those guys who come later, the way it was set up helps them out a lot, if they are good enough. If you are a later round pick and you make the team, you see bigger money way sooner. You can be looking for a new big money contract in two years. Just look at Dak. If you are Undrafted, you hit the mother load. You can looking at a payday in the same season you make the team. I mean, you gotta be good enough, for sure, but the way the rookie deals work now, as opposed to back in the day, it's way better now IMO. Course, that is just my opinion.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I just think it is bad form by Zeke for these 4 reasons:

1) Jerry has given Zeke complete support and stuck his neck out for him since day 1
2) Dak has a much bigger gripe with pay and is in the last year of his deal - be a leader Zeke - not a me first guy
3) Signing bonus for at least 4 years of the deal was paid- he is reneging on that bonus IMO, and the contract.
4) He should take a lessor deal since Jerry is willing to offer one 2 years earlier than he has to!

I agree. I mean, if the stories we are hearing are true, then the team has put a deal up that is in the area of Bell's. That means something in the area of 13 a season. That's 10 mil more this year, then he would otherwise make. That's 4 more next year and it's likely that he gets another signing bonus so more money right up front. I mean, honestly, I feel like Zeke has no right to expect more then that from Jerry. That's way more then almost any other owner would do for Zeke, especially with his history, IMO. I mean, my opinion doesn't count for much, I know. Never the less, that's my opinion on this subject.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Yeah because my generation now understands that no one values you. They will use you and throw you to the trash once they are done with you. Thank goodness my generation was the one who woke up.

You can't seriously believe this. I mean, do you really think that your gen is the first to understand how life works? Generations before you understood how it works, all too well. It's just that they also understood that you can't be difficult or unreasonable, to the point of cutting off your knows to spit your face. In all things, there is a balance. That's true for relationships, it's true for health, it's true for sports and it's certainly true for Business. It's a life thing and trust me, what you call your generation waking up is not unique. Other generations simply learned this earlier in life and learned how to deal with it, so that they could use that to their own advantage. As much as it pains, you gotta believe that yours is not unique in this. Young people often believe that they are the first to do things but the truth is that very little in life is truly new. Most of it has all been done before. Not lying to you rocyaice.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You can't seriously believe this. I mean, do you really think that your gen is the first to understand how life works? Generations before you understood how it works, all too well. It's just that they also understood that you can't be difficult or unreasonable, to the point of cutting off your knows to spit your face. In all things, there is a balance. That's true for relationships, it's true for health, it's true for sports and it's certainly true for Business. It's a life thing and trust me, what you call your generation waking up is not unique. Other generations simply learned this earlier in life and learned how to deal with it, so that they could use that to their own advantage. As much as it pains, you gotta believe that yours is not unique in this. Young people often believe that they are the first to do things but the truth is that very little in life is truly new. Most of it has all been done before. Not lying to you rocyaice.
Wasn’t saying no generations before us didn’t value themselves. But in regards to sports........in the era of guys like Deion Sanders and Terrell Owens I feel the athlete had other values in mind and were more selfish. These younger athletes seem to stand more for social issues then those who just shut up and played sports. Never once said these guys were the first to do anything.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Wasn’t saying no generations before us didn’t value themselves. But in regards to sports........in the era of guys like Deion Sanders and Terrell Owens I feel the athlete had other values in mind and were more selfish. These younger athletes seem to stand more for social issues then those who just shut up and played sports. Never once said these guys were the first to do anything.

Fair enough. I will tell you that it doesn't sound that way, based on your earlier post, but if you say that's what it is, then I'm OK to take you at that. The problem I have with these athletes is that, as a fan, as one of the people who is paying for this and lets be honest, we are paying for this, I don't give a flip about what any of these guys think, with regards to social issues. I may 100% agree or disagree, as the case may be, but who cares? I watch football to get away from the rest of the BS in life. That's the truth. I don't tune it to hear what these Athletes think about whatever given position. Hell, most of them know less about what they are talking about then I do. I don't need that from these Athletes.

Those guys you refer to as those who just shut up and played sports, there is another word for that, you know this right? Those athletes are called Professionals and those guys understand that they are doing this for the fans. Those who pay to see them play. Not for those who pay to hear them pontificate on whatever social issue. They can do that on their own time. I don't want to hear it when it's on my nickle. That's just the truth of it, IMO.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
There are 249 NFL players making more $$$$ than Zeke.

Thats right.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are 249 NFL players making more $$$$ than Zeke.

Thats right.

Of course, that's not unusual for players playing under their rookie contract. The question isn't whether he is underpaid for his talents - nobody disputes that - but rather whether players are being fair to expect to renegotiate while under an existing contract. That's a little more complicated.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I read it on the bathroom wall

Impossible. I know for a fact that if it was on the bathroom wall, all it would say is "For a good time, call ksk!" I know this because I wrote it on every square inch of those walls!

:laugh: