Honor the contract garbage

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Understood, but those are the perils of being a fan of pro sports. Lots of the things you list are indeed reasonable but also fall into the category of "would be nice if ..." meaning it's the ideal. But fans will never band together to effect any change on that. Once someone gets good and comfortable with something, one that involves a community to boot, they're not going to give it up. How many posters on these very boards start threads about leaving the site, not being a fan anymore only to be here the following week talking about the latest game?

And so too is the fact that Zeke aint getting what he wants. The perils of playing out a rookie contract.

khiladi

Reaction score
The contract allows players to sit out as well. That is conditional on them willing to get fined though. And Zeke, so far, is willing to get fined.

Plus, contracts use terms such as ‘good faith’, so one can probably attempt to lawyer around these terms to justify sitting out...

MarcusRock

Reaction score
And so too is the fact that Zeke aint getting what he wants. The perils of playing out a rookie contract.

Well that's what people who are upset at Zeke hope for but getting a deal done is in both parties' interest so that is what will most likely happen.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Hey ET, honor thy contract!

earl-thomas-middle-finger.png

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Well that's what people who are upset at Zeke hope for but getting a deal done is in both parties' interest so that is what will most likely happen.

Do you believe that the team has an offer on the table that is on par with Le'Veon Bell's?

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Do you believe that the team has an offer on the table that is on par with Le'Veon Bell's?

I have no idea what is on the table but I do know that the media is going to emphasize the highest totals it can to evoke "outrage" because they know athletes making money upsets people.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I have no idea what is on the table but I do know that the media is going to emphasize the highest totals it can to evoke "outrage" because they know athletes making money upsets people.

The team has said that they have offered top 5 deals, at a minimum, to all of the players but lets say that the team has offered that kind of deal, what is your position on Zeke's hold out then?

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I kinda get tired of people who say that the only ones who are said to have to honor the contract are the players.

This is a complete fallacy. The contract allows for a player to be cut, that is the reason for the signing bonus and guaranteed money That is how the owners honor the contract according to the CBA. If you don't like the CBA, then fine, but you cannot say that the only ones expected to honor the contract are the players.

The NFLPA agreed to the 5th year option in rookie contracts, they did not have to do that but the older players were fine with limiting younger players salaries for the benefit of their own pocketbook.

Love watching Zeke play but why have a CBA and an NFLPA if you are not going to stick to the agreement? Nobody should be forced to go to work, so stay home Zeke if you want to ruin your career! If he does not show up week 1, I hope the Cowboys take the current offer off the table!

Zeke is the 250th paid player in the NFL.

Let that sink in.

A DE for the Jets makes more $$& than Zeke.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Zeke chose a poor time to try to force the issue. A year too early and it could cost him and the team. The agent should be fired. HONOR WHAT YOU AGREED TO AND SIGNED.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Zeke chose a poor time to try to force the issue. A year too early and it could cost him and the team. The agent should be fired. HONOR WHAT YOU AGREED TO AND SIGNED.

249 players are making more money than the BEST RB in the NFL.

Honor that Jerry . 8)

MarcusRock

Reaction score
The team has said that they have offered top 5 deals, at a minimum, to all of the players but lets say that the team has offered that kind of deal, what is your position on Zeke's hold out then?

Honestly I don't know the details of what Bell got but Zeke is more valuable so I believe he should get more. If I'm the FO I'm angling for a knucklehead discount of some kind but he's younger and more versatile than Bell. And again, he's the engine that makes this offense go. Even when we had Romo, Murray's work helped make Romo an MVP candidate. We use Zeke the same way.

MarcusRock

Reaction score

Your emotion is talking. This is the PERFECT year to do this. I'll bet he and his agent had this planned at the start of Zeke's career but keeping it hushed and having it apparently come out of left field makes it an even more effective attempt.

aria

Reaction score
I dont begrudge players anything.
These guys are almost certainly shortening their lives and risking later life health.

All that said, the system is the system and I on;t begrudge teams from trying to manage cap space to provide the most talent per dollar in this system.

I am mad at no one for any of these deals.
I'm not mad Dez held out, not mad Dez was paid then got hurt.
Not mad about Crawford making a ton nor mad the team let Hitchens go get his bankbag elsewhere.
It is what it is and these things arent easy.
There’s a lot of professions that shorten their lives and risk later life health that make pennies compared to these guys and they want to break contracts over what’s equivalent to what most people don’t make in a life time? I have zero sympathy for any of them.

I’d be more likely to support teachers, firefighters and cops walking off the job for higher pay raises then these cry baby chumps who get payed millions to play a game.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Your emotion is talking. This is the PERFECT year to do this. I'll bet he and his agent had this planned at the start of Zeke's career but keeping it hushed and having it apparently come out of left field makes it an even more effective attempt.
I hope we trade his *** because of this.

Altestic

Reaction score
I kinda get tired of people who say that the only ones who are said to have to honor the contract are the players.

This is a complete fallacy. The contract allows for a player to be cut, that is the reason for the signing bonus and guaranteed money That is how the owners honor the contract according to the CBA. If you don't like the CBA, then fine, but you cannot say that the only ones expected to honor the contract are the players.

The NFLPA agreed to the 5th year option in rookie contracts, they did not have to do that but the older players were fine with limiting younger players salaries for the benefit of their own pocketbook.

Love watching Zeke play but why have a CBA and an NFLPA if you are not going to stick to the agreement? Nobody should be forced to go to work, so stay home Zeke if you want to ruin your career! If he does not show up week 1, I hope the Cowboys take the current offer off the table!
I agree. Trade him for a 7th round pick to a team that already has a RB1 in place. Stick it to him, teach him a permanent lesson in humility.