How 'Bout Them Rangers

Stautner

Reaction score
juck;3524094 said:
Cantu cannot hit a basketball thrown his way

nyc;3525360 said:
It's well documented. Cantu Can't Do ****! :laugh2:

Granted Cantu hasn't for hit sht with the Rangers, but as for what's well documented, he has proven to be a good major league hitter for some time now.

Besides, what exactly has Franceour shown the last couple of years?

Nevertheless, i think in general it's a good trade. Arias wasn't ever going to be anything more than the spare part he has been this year, and Franceour at one time looked to be on the fast track to being a stud. Fanceour is still younjg, so maybe there is time to get him back on that track. The problem is that the Rangers OF is pretty crowded.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Stautner;3525543 said:
Granted Cantu hasn't for hit sht with the Rangers, but as for what's well documented, he has proven to be a good major league hitter for some time now.

Besides, what exactly has Franceour shown the last couple of years?

Nevertheless, i think in general it's a good trade. Arias wasn't ever going to be anything more than the spare part he has been this year, and Franceour at one time looked to be on the fast track to being a stud. Fanceour is still younjg, so maybe there is time to get him back on that track. The problem is that the Rangers OF is pretty crowded.

My outfield would consist of Murphy in right, Hamilton in center and Nelly in left.

The issue with Murphy is this. When he gets consistent playing time, he is a good hitter and produces. When he becomes a part time player, his offense falls off the table. I'm not on board with Franceour and Murphy splitting time.

If you want Murphy to produce, he has to play consistently. Since Nelly went on the DL, Murphy has had consistent playing time and he has been producing.

As for Cantu, he needs to sit the bench. Mitch Moreland appears to be comfortable at the plate and is producing. Defensively he is far better than Cantu who has been a defensive train wreck since arriving. (note that Moreland should have made that play last night that he let get passed him)

Stautner

Reaction score
nyc;3525562 said:
My outfield would consist of Murphy in right, Hamilton in center and Nelly in left.

The issue with Murphy is this. When he gets consistent playing time, he is a good hitter and produces. When he becomes a part time player, his offense falls off the table. I'm not on board with Franceour and Murphy splitting time.

If you want Murphy to produce, he has to play consistently. Since Nelly went on the DL, Murphy has had consistent playing time and he has been producing.

As for Cantu, he needs to sit the bench. Mitch Moreland appears to be comfortable at the plate and is producing. Defensively he is far better than Cantu who has been a defensive train wreck since arriving. (note that Moreland should have made that play last night that he let get passed him)

I agree with all this, although I don't necessarily think we should flip flop Murphy and Nellie in the OF. There is some logic to it with Murphy throwing left handed, but Nellie seems pretty comfortable in RF now, and has arm is a little stronger.

I like Moreland a lot at 1st base. Certainly better than Cantu, who is pretty slow. Moreland isn't as good defensively as Chris Davis would be, but he looks like a much better major league hitter.

I don't mind Franceour playing ocassionally against a tough lefthander, but I agree that Murphy needs to play regularly.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Stautner;3525605 said:
I agree with all this, although I don't necessarily think we should flip flop Murphy and Nellie in the OF. There is some logic to it with Murphy throwing left handed, but Nellie seems pretty comfortable in RF now, and has arm is a little stronger.

I like Moreland a lot at 1st base. Certainly better than Cantu, who is pretty slow. Moreland isn't as good defensively as Chris Davis would be, but he looks like a much better major league hitter.

I don't mind Franceour playing ocassionally against a tough lefthander, but I agree that Murphy needs to play regularly.

Actually, I had them switched by mistake. Murphy in left and Nelly in right. Nelly has the rifle arm you need in right field. Murphy has proven he has enough arm to play left field.

Stautner

Reaction score
nyc;3525672 said:
Actually, I had them switched by mistake. Murphy in left and Nelly in right. Nelly has the rifle arm you need in right field. Murphy has proven he has enough arm to play left field.

No mistake, Murphy has a very nice arm too, just not quite Nellie's level. Franceour has a cannon himself. Borbon is the only one of our OF's that doesn't have a big arm.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
nyc;3525478 said:
The funny thing about Feldman is there was some mathematical formula out there that predicted Feldman's failure this year and it nailed it to a tee.

It basically said that he doesn't have the makeup to remain a dominate pitcher in the league over the long haul. It was back last year when media talking heads were discussing giving Feldman a long term contract and whoever it was that had the formula was saying don't do it.

I need to see if I can hunt that down again. It was a pretty interesting read.

Right. Basically, he doesn't miss enough bats.

Truth is, you can say the same thing for Tommy Hunter. Most likely, he won't always be as good as he has this year... Though there are always exceptions.

Temo

Reaction score
nyc;3525478 said:
The funny thing about Feldman is there was some mathematical formula out there that predicted Feldman's failure this year and it nailed it to a tee.

It basically said that he doesn't have the makeup to remain a dominate pitcher in the league over the long haul. It was back last year when media talking heads were discussing giving Feldman a long term contract and whoever it was that had the formula was saying don't do it.

I need to see if I can hunt that down again. It was a pretty interesting read.

It's not a very complicated "formula". The theory is that pitchers can control 3 basic things: K-rate, BB-Rate, and Groundball rate. Feldman didn't do any 3 of those things very well (well, his Ground ball rate was average-ish, but that's not enough).

You can succeed in the short term just due to getting lucky out/good defense, but in the long run you need to do well in those three stats (or at least 2 out of 3).

juck

Reaction score
I wonder if Blanco could play 1st? I hate to see him out he is batting wonderful. heckuva player.

Temo

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;3525735 said:
Right. Basically, he doesn't miss enough bats.

Truth is, you can say the same thing for Tommy Hunter. Most likely, he won't always be as good as he has this year... Though there are always exceptions.

Yea, Tommy Hunter is another guy who doesn't do any of those 3 things very well.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Temo;3525812 said:
It's not a very complicated "formula". The theory is that pitchers can control 3 basic things: K-rate, BB-Rate, and Groundball rate. Feldman didn't do any 3 of those things very well (well, his Ground ball rate was average-ish, but that's not enough).

You can succeed in the short term just due to getting lucky out/good defense, but in the long run you need to do well in those three stats (or at least 2 out of 3).

Everyone should throw sinkers and cut fastballs then. :)

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Temo;3525820 said:
Yea, Tommy Hunter is another guy who doesn't do any of those 3 things very well.

Hunters walks are about 2.45 per nine innings. That isn't that bad. Once you get to three walks per nine, then it starts going down hill.

His strikeouts are about 4.5 per nine innings and I believe the metric was 6.5+.

Temo

Reaction score
nyc;3525901 said:
Hunters walks are about 2.45 per nine innings. That isn't that bad. Once you get to three walks per nine, then it starts going down hill.

His strikeouts are about 4.5 per nine innings and I believe the metric was 6.5+.

I said "very well", not "incompetent". :cool:

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Motorbreath;3530133 said:
Signed Mark Prior today. Good vet presence.

If he can come back from all the broke *** injuries.

That said, Borbon makes a bone head throw then redeems himself with a perfectly executed squeeze play! :bow:

Gotta love the squeeze play.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Since Matt Harrison went to the bullpen he overthrows the ball. (which is what a lot of relievers do) He is a **** up waiting to happen. It could happen tonight. :(

juck

Reaction score
Hambone please come back,you have the wrench and the wheels are falling off. Freaking Feldman is pitching tonight.