How 'Bout Them Rangers

MegaMagick

Reaction score
High pressure baseball tomorrow, this is gonna screw me up so bad. I'm just not used to it this early. I'm just as nervous as when the cowboys were in the playoffs last year.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
The Rangers have a far better offense. The Rangers have to keep the Rays off the base paths. That is where they do the most damage. This is were I worry most about CJ Wilson. You can steal bases against him pretty easy.

I remember the As stole like 6-7 bases in a single game against him. That could easily spell doom for the Rangers unless they are lighting them up on the offensive side. That isn't a given against their pitching staff. This is where you wished the Rangers could have resigned Pudge last year. Even at his old age.

utrunner07

Reaction score
MegaMagick;3599301 said:
Game 1: LHP David Price (vs. LHP Cliff Lee), Tampa Bay

Game 2: RHP James Shields (vs. LHP C.J. Wilson), Tampa Bay

Game 3: RHP Matt Garza (vs. RHP Colby Lewis), Arlington

Game 4: RHP Wade Davis (vs. RHP Tommy Hunter), Arlington

Maybe i'm looking through my red rangers goggles here but we should be favored in all those matchups outside the Price-lee game.

If I had to guess I would say we (Rangers) win games 1 and 4. And split games 2 and 3, probably losing game 3 actually, if I had to guess.

StylisticS

Reaction score
That game 3 could be a shootout. Garza has not exactly pitched gems lately.

Gzus

Romosexual
Reaction score
I never really realized until I checked out the stats tonight that we've got one of the best pitching staffs in the league. I mean probably top two bullpens and our starting rotation is IMO only second to the Phillies.

I mean who (other than Philly) can say they can trot out 4 guys better than:
1. Cliff Lee (3.98 ERA, 10:1 K:BB, 5-0 Postseason record w/ 1.33 ERA)
2. CJ Wilson (15Ws, 3.35 ERA, 170Ks)
3. Colby Lewis (12Ws, 3.72 ERA, 196Ks)
4. "Big Game" Tommy Hunter (13Ws, 3.73 ERA)

And so far from what we've seen also one of the most potent offenses as well. Rangers got the entire package and we got a legit shot to go all the way this postseason *knock on wood*

Stautner

Reaction score
As much as I want the Rangers to win, I have to say that my sense of reality told me that the odds weren't good for them because (a) they had the worst record of any playoff team, (b) they weren't particularly hot at the end of the regular season, and (c) they have the fewest players with playoff experience. Didn't add up to their chances being very good, but so far they have their stuff together with their offense, defense and piching. If they get on a roll, who knows ..... ?

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Stautner;3603514 said:
As much as I want the Rangers to win, I have to say that my sense of reality told me that the odds weren't good for them because (a) they had the worst record of any playoff team, (b) they weren't particularly hot at the end of the regular season, and (c) they have the fewest players with playoff experience. Didn't add up to their chances being very good, but so far they have their stuff together with their offense, defense and piching. If they get on a roll, who knows ..... ?

As Jeter said, the good teams make the playoffs, the hottest teams win the World Series.

Of course, the Rockies were on absolute fire in the 2007 playoffs until they reached the World Series and then Boston swept them 4-0.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
nyc;3603519 said:
As Jeter said, the good teams make the playoffs, the hottest teams win the World Series.

Of course, the Rockies were on absolute fire in the 2007 playoffs until they reached the World Series and then Boston swept them 4-0.

I think that "Hot" is relative to the particular series in most cases...

We traditionally don't match up well with the Yankees, but you just never know...

Should we win this series with TB, and we should as they are 2-10 at Texas over the last 2 years, the Yankees will be quite a test. I know their series isn't over, but they will likely go on to beat Minny, unfortunately...

Stautner

Reaction score
nyc;3603519 said:

Jeter was right. Sometimes teams just rally together at the right time - more so in baseball than other sports.

trickblue;3603544 said:
I think that "Hot" is relative to the particular series in most cases...

I believe this is true as well. A team can only get "up" for one series at a time, and there is no certainty that being up for one will carry over to the next.

juck

Reaction score
DFW will be rocking all weekend. I wish i was there and had seats to the games.If Rangers win Sat or Sunday for once ever the Rangers may be brighter then the Cowboys.

Stautner

Reaction score
juck;3603571 said:
DFW will be rocking all weekend. I wish i was there and had seats to the games.If Rangers win Sat or Sunday for once ever the Rangers may be brighter then the Cowboys.

I will be there Saturday. I hope they clinch then because I don't have tickets for Sunday.

utrunner07

Reaction score
Stautner;3603514 said:

a) Rays had the best record in the AL.
b) None of the Al teams were "hot" going into the playoffs, if anything Tampa was the "hottest".
c) True here, but sometimes being a little to naive to understand the situation helps, at least we can hope. We'll see.

Going to be tough against the Yankees in round 2, could be even tougher against Philly in the World Series, but we will see.

Stautner

Reaction score
utrunner07;3603606 said:
a) Rays had the best record in the AL.
b) None of the Al teams were "hot" going into the playoffs, if anything Tampa was the "hottest".
c) True here, but sometimes being a little to naive to understand the situation helps, at least we can hope. We'll see.

Going to be tough against the Yankees in round 2, could be even tougher against Philly in the World Series, but we will see.

Your answers to (a) and (b) even further suggest reasons to have been concerned before the playoffs start. I agree with your answer to (c) - I think that can help. I'm just not sure how far it can carry them through. The playoff tested veterans on the Yankees and Phillies are going to be hard to beat.

Gzus

Romosexual
Reaction score
We got the pieces to do it and I think with their inexperience they haven't let the grandness of it all to get to them. We got a great shot at making some magic.

CowboyMark

Reaction score
I want the yankees in the ALCS so the rangers can wipe the floor with them. I hate them. I predicted the rangers would win in 4 and now I'm predicting the rangers in six over the yankees. And then a world series win over Philly in 7. Lets go Rangers!!!!!

MegaMagick

Reaction score
I knew this was going to happen, we play lights out on the road but then we stink it up on the home. Only a few teams have come back from 2-0 holes and the rays are in good position to do it this season.

D/FW sports teams are cursed like i always say.

Gzus

Romosexual
Reaction score
We shoulda taken care of business with only 5 outs to go in Game 3 but our bullpen faltered and gave them an opening. I still like our chances if we have to go back to TB w/ Lee starting on full rest, but I'd much rather see them comeback at home and close it out now.