How Do the Eagles Have This Much Cap Space?

blueblood70

Reaction score
But the goal shouldn't be just to compete with the Eagles but to build a roster who can start winning Super Bowls for this franchise again. The main thing competing with Eagles has done is prove that the gap isn't as big within the division as some Cowboys fans make it out to be every time the Eagles make big moves in free agency.
And yet the Eagles only have one Super Bowl since 1960... But don't be a hypocrite now you're moving the goalpost we're talking about the Eagles being so much better they still lost the division to us the number one goal all teams win the division to get your best highest seed you can get and maybe home field in the playoffs therefore they've lost to us twice with this Grand Master at massaging the cap... Look I realize it's all about Super Bowls and then it's you championships I'm just saying if we're gonna bring special post about the Eagles then I'm gonna have to bring that up how is on a budget and someone who seems clueless as a GM beating a team with allegedly one of the best deal makers in the history of the NFL according to our fan base.....

Chasing6

Reaction score
You can manipulate the cap all day long, but eventually the final balloon payment will come due...
That is when you trade everyone away and rebuild.

We will continue to be stuck between fighting for the Division and a wild card loss.

GM Jeruh is more concerned about how many career wins and attempting to fix his individual win %, than he is than winning a SB.

We have won less than 52% of our games since our last SB. Let that sink in.

Chasing6

Reaction score
GM Jeruh has 16 wins and 15 losses all time in the playoffs in 33 years. So let's continue to keep blaming Dak, Romo and or the next poor ******* that comes along.

That is after him starting 11-2 with our SB runs in the 90's. So he is 5-13 since our last SB.

16 playoff wins in 33 years.

5 playoff wins in the last 26 years.

Is it becoming clear what the problem is yet?

Don't we all wish we had that type of job security?

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
GM Jeruh has 16 wins and 15 losses all time in the playoffs in 33 years. So let's continue to keep blaming Dak, Romo and or the next poor ******* that comes along.

That is after him starting 11-2 with our SB runs in the 90's. So he is 5-13 since our last SB.

This is us:
fan 1: "Man our QB's have sucked for 28 years..what can we do?"
Fan 2: "We need to draft another one."
Fan 1: "Didnt Jerry draft the QB's the last 28 years?"
Fan 2: "Yeah but it will be diferent this time"
Fan 1: "How do you know?"
Fan 2: "because if its not i have to admit the problem is unfixable. Well time to learn another player name to blame..."

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
And yet the Eagles only have one Super Bowl since 1960... But don't be a hypocrite now you're moving the goalpost we're talking about the Eagles being so much better they still lost the division to us the number one goal all teams win the division to get your best highest seed you can get and maybe home field in the playoffs therefore they've lost to us twice with this Grand Master at massaging the cap... Look I realize it's all about Super Bowls and then it's you championships I'm just saying if we're gonna bring special post about the Eagles then I'm gonna have to bring that up how is on a budget and someone who seems clueless as a GM beating a team with allegedly one of the best deal makers in the history of the NFL according to our fan base.....
The Eagles lost the Super Bowl to the Kansas City Chiefs a couple of years ago. They learned the hard way they are not the standard and either are the Dallas Cowboys. If you’re not at least trying to build a team that can compete with the 49ers, Chiefs, Ravens, you’re not likely to win a Super Bowl in the next few seasons. Winning the NFC East last season gave the Cowboys a home playoff game. They lost. The Eagles had to go on the road to lose their playoff game. Both teams have work to do to get to the Super Bowl.

Chasing6

Reaction score
The Eagles lost the Super Bowl to the Kansas City Chiefs a couple of years ago. They learned the hard way they are not the standard and either are the Dallas Cowboys. If you’re not at least trying to build a team that can compete with the 49ers, Chiefs, Ravens, you’re not likely to win a Super Bowl in the next few seasons. Winning the NFC East last season gave the Cowboys a home playoff game. They lost. The Eagles had to go on the road to lose their playoff game. Both teams have work to do to get to the Super Bowl.
There are a few ways for teams to catch up to the Niners or any Conferences best team.

1. Take their top free agents or make them over pay to keep them.
2. Hitting on your higher draft picks.

What you can not do in any situation is the following:

1. Trade for their players they don't want.
2. Give them additional draft picks.
3. Give them additional salary cap space.

You would think this would be common sense for any GM in the NFL to know, never mind one that has been in the league for 30+ years.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score

I'm specifically talking about how Jerry and Stephen's method in building the Cowboys roster and how they have ran this team has failed when it comes to the goal of winning a Super Bowl. The Eagles are another subject as their front office has been more successful at building rosters who are able to make deeper playoff runs than what Dallas has been able to make. Yet still if the subject is about what methods has resulted in actual Super Bowl wins, then Howie and the Eagles front office has managed only to build one actual Super Bowl winning roster. Despite all of the years and money they have put into free agency.

They look more successful when compared to the Cowboys(If one were to count NFC Champion wins as part of what defines a successful franchise). Yet also can be considered less than a franchise like the Chiefs who is able to maximize the Conference Championship games and Super Bowl appearances they make by winning multiple Super Bowl within a short NFL time period. And mainly because of Mahomes and Reid.

But as far as the competition between the two teams goes when it comes to matching up against each other, as I said this forum and Cowboys fans do tend to make predictions about how the Eagles are going to widen the gap and start dominating the series like we see the Eagles dominating the Giants for example. But so far that hasn't come to fruition and neither has the predictions about how the Eagles easily are going to start taking over the division due to the moves they keep making in FA come to fruition. Several times some have made it seem like the Eagles would start rack up division title wins in a similar manner to how we saw the Patriots dominate the AFC East during the Brady era. Yet so far this has not happened as the Cowboys and Eagles have traded division titles back and forth every year over the last few seasons. While it has been a while since the Eagles last swept the Cowboys. And this is with predictions (Starting with the Eagles drafting Wentz) of how they would be dominating the division for a decade or more because of the moves their front office has made in free agency and the draft.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I'm specifically talking about how Jerry and Stephen's method in building the Cowboys roster and how they have ran this team has failed when it comes to the goal of winning a Super Bowl. The Eagles are another subject as their front office has been more successful at building rosters who are able to make deeper playoff runs than what Dallas has been able to make. Yet still if the subject is about what methods has resulted in actual Super Bowl wins, then Howie and the Eagles front office has managed only to build one actual Super Bowl winning roster. Despite all of the years and money they have put into free agency.

They look more successful when compared to the Cowboys(If one were to count NFC Champion wins as part of what defines a successful franchise). Yet also can be considered less than a franchise like the Chiefs who is able to maximize the Conference Championship games and Super Bowl appearances they make by winning multiple Super Bowl within a short NFL time period. And mainly because of Mahomes and Reid.

But as far as the competition between the two teams goes when it comes to matching up against each other, as I said this forum and Cowboys fans do tend to make predictions about how the Eagles are going to widen the gap and start dominating the series like we see the Eagles dominating the Giants for example. But so far that hasn't come to fruition and neither has the predictions about how the Eagles easily are going to start taking over the division due to the moves they keep making in FA come to fruition. Several times some have made it seem like the Eagles would start rack up division title wins in a similar manner to how we saw the Patriots dominate the AFC East during the Brady era. Yet so far this has not happened as the Cowboys and Eagles have traded division titles back and forth every year over the last few seasons. While it has been a while since the Eagles last swept the Cowboys. And this is with predictions (Starting with the Eagles drafting Wentz) of how they would be dominating the division for a decade or more because of the moves their front office has made in free agency and the draft.
The problem was in your first sentence, "Jerry and Stephen."

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score

If the front office does nothing for the next Cowboys QB while he is on his rookie contract, I would hope the fanbase isn't gullible enough to fall for Stephen Jones excuses the next time in comes for the franchise to pay a QB after they move on from Dak.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
They've been in two SBs in the last 6 years, winning one. And they went back to the SB a few years AFTER tearing down the SB winning team and basically churning a huge chunk of the roster (including somehow getting out from under a massive QB contract).

We haven't sniffed a conference title game in 28 years.

Any fan who tries to argue we do it as well as Philly or even better than Philly is a homer, plain and simple. No rational person can look at the results and think, "Gee, Jerry does it better..........."
Philly’s FA activity is overstated here. They’ve signed 10, two of which are a LS and a P. They’ve lost 6. They have nine FAs from their 2023 roster still unsigned. Like the Cowboys they’re depending on a solid draft for bonafide improvement. If Barkley turns out to be better in the Eagles offense than he was with the Giants they’ll have something special. More likely he’ll be injured and miss half the season. Most of their FA signings are 1 yr. deals. Lots of band-aids, nothing more.

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
Isn't that the reason for everybody's pessimism about this team's management? Everybody around us is trying to improve their team except us. That's the prevailing complaints in this thread, and many others.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Isn't that the reason for everybody's pessimism about this team's management? Everybody around us is trying to improve their team except us. That's the prevailing complaints in this thread, and many others.
Yes. Hopefully the Cowboys FO isn’t as focused on the Eagles as posters on CZ seem to be. The Cowboys can already beat the Eagles. It’s the rest of the league that has proved too much of a challenge.

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
Yes. Hopefully the Cowboys FO isn’t as focused on the Eagles as posters on CZ seem to be. The Cowboys can already beat the Eagles. It’s the rest of the league that has proved too much of a challenge.
To be hottest I don't think management gives 2 hoots what the Eagles do. I agree, and I don't believe free agency makes a team. I'll give my opinion when the final rosters are assembled before the season. It's way too early to complain about the team now.

Sydla

Reaction score
The silliness of this argument is epic but expected from Cowboys homers who are struggling with the reality of our franchise right now.

What the Eagles did 60 years ago doesn't matter now. Howie Roseman wasn't even born then. Jeffrey Lurie was a teenager 50-60 years ago. In the same vein, our 3 SBs in the 90s don't really matter much at this point because they were not built by Jerry. Johnson built those teams. Once the divorce between the two and Jerry seized power as sole GM, the Cowboys have gone on a 28 year run where they have only like 5 playoffs wins and zero NFCCG appearances.

After Roseman seized power again as GM post-Chip Kelly, they have simply been the better franchise. It's really not even debatable if one is just honest and frank about it.

Philly’s FA activity is overstated here. They’ve signed 10, two of which are a LS and a P. They’ve lost 6. They have nine FAs from their 2023 roster still unsigned. Like the Cowboys they’re depending on a solid draft for bonafide improvement. If Barkley turns out to be better in the Eagles offense than he was with the Giants they’ll have something special. More likely he’ll be injured and miss half the season. Most of their FA signings are 1 yr. deals. Lots of band-aids, nothing more.
Lots of bandaids. Which is what we need. They got deeper and better at DE and also gave themselves flexibility to trade Reddick for draft picks. They upgraded S. They signed depth at OL.

We’ve done nothing but sign an older LB. That’s it.

One team is trying to get better. One is trying to save money.

Sydla

Reaction score
The point is one team saw issues and has been active in FA to fix some of their issues.

The other team also has holes and has decided they don’t need any quality FAs to filll some of those holes.

It must be exhausting defending the Cowboys each year to only have them kick you in the nuts again.

Eddie

Reaction score
We can create a ton of cap space by extending Dak's contract 4 more years. We'll just keep pushing his cap hit until the very end ... where we'll be on the hook for $80 mil.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
The point is one team saw issues and has been active in FA to fix some of their issues.

The other team also has holes and has decided they don’t need any quality FAs to filll some of those holes.

It must be exhausting defending the Cowboys each year to only have them kick you in the nuts again.
McCarthy and Sirianni did not have their teams ready for their respective playoff opponents, got clobbered, and both kept their jobs. I think Cowboys fans and Eagles fans should be prepared to get kicked “in the nuts again”, free agent signings notwithstanding.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
I read that Dak is making over 20 million more next year than Hurts, Smith, and Brown combined.

That helps.
Hurts’ deal is only $110 million guaranteed, six year deal. ($179 million in the event of a career ending injury). Deshaun Watson, in comparison, has $230 million guaranteed on a four year deal. The cap implications make Hurts’ deal very team friendly. It actually does allow Roseman some elbow room for signing others. But if Hurts plays five years of his deal his pay will end up every bit of $51 million per season. The irony is, while he was the highest paid player in NFL history for six days, in 36 months more than half the teams in the NFL will be paying their QB1 more the Jalen Hurts, and the cap will be much higher. Bad news is Roseman is only 49 years old.