How Do the Eagles Have This Much Cap Space?

Jayinem

Reaction score
I'm starting to think salary cap is a myth they tell us peasants so fanatics of teams don't expect them to spend A HUNDRED MILLION BILLION on a player they like, and Jerry is just a cheap ***.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
You guys still don’t get it. The Cowboys contracts are just the way they like it. The Joneses have already told you they want to extend Dak, CeeDee, and Parsons. They have been saying it the last two seasons. Stephen has said numerous times they don’t like to spend money on other teams free agents. Jerry’s All in comment has fans loosing their minds. The big three will get all the money.

Cowboys1966

Reaction score
You guys still don’t get it. The Cowboys contracts are just the way they like it. The Joneses have already told you they want to extend Dak, CeeDee, and Parsons. They have been saying it the last two seasons. Stephen has said numerous times they don’t like to spend money on other teams free agents. Jerry’s All in comment has fans loosing their minds. The big three will get all the money.
So what does “all in” mean exactly. If it’s just resigning their own guys then that is weak *** bs.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
you got one guy playing chess, and another guy pretending to play checkers but hasn't learned well enough to beat anyone.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I just read that Josh Sweat has restructured his contract despite higher offers from other teams? Something isn't right. We can't afford players and Howie signs whoever he wants?

They actually have to be creative with the cap and with their contracts because unlike the Cowboys, jobs are actually on the line in Philly.

Their GM cant be a total and complete failure and have no reprecussions. He has to actually preform to keep his job, I know, that is a foreign concept around these parts where Jerry and his offspring have jobs for life, regardless of results.

b0xZZ

Reaction score
Our Capologist just isn't that smart, and other teams employ people who really can play with the numbers and work it out.
Read yesterday that Dallas could get to 60 million under the cap Without touching Dak contract !
They chose to sit on their ***** and do nothing, now all the top FA have signed elsewhere.
Stephen said - Daddy says I'm real good with numbers, just can't figure out why we never have any money to upgrade our team !
Hey - we all in tho !!!
They aren't doing nothing as you suggest. They are doing exactly what they think is right for the team, you just don't agree with it.

I think it's pretty clear this team is now in rebuild mode amd part of that means not paying dak and no creating/spending a bunch in free agency during a lame duck year.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
It does effect the Cowboys though. It's not Daks fault though, its the structure of the contract along with the general philosophy of our front office. Dak is 4 years + 2 void years at $40M per year. Hurts is 5 years + 4 void years at $51M per year. The structure of Daks contract from the start was terrible for the Cowboys. Hurts despite being a larger AAV will never have the cap hit the Cowboys have this year. They'll come close in 2028, but they have plenty of flexibility to move his cap number around. Granted they'll be paying it off for a longer period of time odds are $10M in 2032 is the going rate for a backup QB by then.
Spot on. The Hurts contract allows flexibility, whereby, Dak's did ....and now we owe the deferred bonus' on restructures that were made to try and create a winning roster.
The Eagles also aren't afraid to: 'move on', go ALL-IN, or Tank.
Maybe, maybe 2024 is the first time we actually try and replicate the Eagles way.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
yeah, i’m not sure if you are just clarifying my position or thought i was saying something different. this is what i was alluding to
So why make a comment like, Hurts has a bigger contract, without quantifying the aspects of the contract which really matters....ie - difference in length and deferred bonus payments.
.....and that Eagles work on Boom/Bust, we work on Perpetual Relevance (and hope).

CWR

Reaction score
hardly irrelevant when some player are taking less $ than market to go there. Philly has been to the SB multiple times since opur last, they have rebuilt at least 3 times within 2-3 year periods, they acknowledge mistakes and rectify (Wentz, etc). Its. a winning culture, and not a esoteric pablum, but tangible
Yet the same culture was a disaster last year. It was far worse in Philly than Dallas.

Flamma

Reaction score
So why make a comment like, Hurts has a bigger contract, without quantifying the aspects of the contract which really matters....ie - difference in length and deferred bonus payments.
.....and that Eagles work on Boom/Bust, we work on Perpetual Relevance (and hope).
Remember how bad the Eagles were in 2020? Two years later they're in the SB. Everything they did after 2020 was with the intent to get better results. We don't do that. We hope our players bring better results.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Parsons will cost more than dak. We should trade him to the bears for their #9 and second rd pick. They would take it in a second. Could get two top offensive lineman and real dt. Cple that with a lb with our 2nd and rb I’m the third. Then get depth. We be set. But that just makes too much since.
He has a no trade clause

Ozymandias

Reaction score
We ALWAYS a day late and a dollar short…

All because we run a (inept) family business.
Daddy the boss and Jr is the “GM”

But they care WAY more about making money (which they do easily and constantly) than actual football… but the franchise allows them to do that…fans actually revolt in Philly if they doing bad…we just keep showing up and buying here. Plus they all got the same last name around here, so it’s a lot of “forgiveness” that you don’t see in ANY other franchise

ghst187

Reaction score
Our Capologist just isn't that smart, and other teams employ people who really can play with the numbers and work it out.
Read yesterday that Dallas could get to 60 million under the cap Without touching Dak contract !
They chose to sit on their ***** and do nothing, now all the top FA have signed elsewhere.
Stephen said - Daddy says I'm real good with numbers, just can't figure out why we never have any money to upgrade our team !
Hey - we all in tho !!!
Yep, our FO is mentally handicapped by their enormous egos….they will never admit they are incompetent boobs

birdwells1

Reaction score
it’s not, and doesn’t. hurts has a larger contract than dak. stephen loves guys like you
Absolutely loves people like that but the problem is that most fans are uninformed so Stephen plays into that. They’ll blame the player before realizing that if the signed Dak they’d have all the cap relief they need.

birdwells1

Reaction score
Parsons will cost more than dak. We should trade him to the bears for their #9 and second rd pick. They would take it in a second. Could get two top offensive lineman and real dt. Cple that with a lb with our 2nd and rb I’m the third. Then get depth. We be set. But that just makes too much since.
Why are we trying to trade All pro players? We draft a player hopes he becomes all pro and then turn on him because he well……turns all pro. This is crazy, no other teams work this way.

birdwells1

Reaction score
Yep. They push the big money into future years and kick the can down the road. Then they either restructure the contract in later years or they'll suck for a year and reload.

That Jalen Hurts contract is really a 5 year deal with an out in 2028 that would cost them roughly $24,000,000 in dead cap space. Not bad considering how much the Salary Cap has gone up every year. They'll easily be able to absorb that $24 Million in 2029 if they don't restructure by then. Jalen will only be 31 years old.

Hate to say it but the Eagles have it figured out.
Also the cap goes up every year

birdwells1

Reaction score
They aren't doing nothing as you suggest. They are doing exactly what they think is right for the team, you just don't agree with it.

I think it's pretty clear this team is now in rebuild mode amd part of that means not paying dak and no creating/spending a bunch in free agency during a lame duck year.
But they haven’t spent big in free agency since the 2012 signing of Brandon Carr. Could you explain why they haven’t done it the othe 12 years?