How do they fix the run game

fivetwos

Reaction score
I dont think MM gets another gig after this...he either makes this work or is OC and then out the league.
As a HC...definitely....

But that one win will get him a TV gig if he doesn't royally blow the Dallas situation.

A scapegoat is always nice to have and honestly, it's about the money for MM. Sure he WANTS to win, but what he probably knows now that he didn't quite realize a few hours into the sleepover....is exactly how handcuffed he is in this organization.

At this point, after all the unnecessary banter of the last month, he is probably like....yeah sure, you get yours...and I'll get mine.

Did he refuse to help Moore because he really wants to win or tell Jerry he is his problem?

Jerry really needs to knock it off with forcing the HC to take on his hand picked OC.

It hasn't worked for a reason.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think when you had Frederick and then Looney next to him they could provide some help to his side, with Biadasz struggling in his own right there was not much help.

I wonder if Biadesz hated CW. Almost everytime I saw CW struggle its when Biadesz would completely turn his back to him like martin couldn't contain his guy. really though same issue with McGovern, get B to turn towards martin who was probably going to stalemate the defender anyway then bull rush to the gap between him and LG knowing the LG either of em were going to be able to anchor down.

quickccc

Reaction score
1) Upgrade OL personnel – especially interior
2) re-design a much better run scheme that is more favorable to both RBs
3) upgrade to better in-line blocking TEs
4) upgrade to a better OC and OL coach - or OC has to maintain running ball and prioritize keeping offense balance as well as re-design
5) occasional physical lead FB (ala John Kuhn, Kyle Juszczyk)

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I wonder if Biadesz hated CW. Almost everytime I saw CW struggle its when Biadesz would completely turn his back to him like martin couldn't contain his guy. really though same issue with McGovern, get B to turn towards martin who was probably going to stalemate the defender anyway then bull rush to the gap between him and LG knowing the LG either of em were going to be able to anchor down.

Makes more since thats the scheme though, and thats why our cut back lanes are no where to be found.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Maybe we can call up Larry Allen, Eric Williams, and Fredbeard… also, Nate Newton is already in the building every day. He can come back and play some guard

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Maybe we can call up Larry Allen, Eric Williams, and Fredbeard… also, Nate Newton is already in the building every day. He can come back and play some guard

We seem to need 5 all pro's at o-line to run the ball...cant put my finger on when this started something about red hair is comming to me.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Improving the run. to this fan right now, would include signing this offensive guard in free agency:

New York Giant Will Hernandez

I can still taste his coming out in the draft back in 2018...

3. Will Hernandez, New York Giants
PFF Season Grade: 55.9

If the Cowboys are looking to add more of a physical presence along their offensive line to complement right guard Zack Martin, then Will Hernandez is your guy. Hernandez was a player that the Cowboys did have their eye on back in 2018 before he was taken in the second round by the Giants.

More of a throwback guard, Hernandez is a physical OL that enjoys bullying defensive tackles and linebackers that get in his way. Just like Daniels, he also has over 3,000 offensive snaps under his belt. The combination of him and Martin would give the Dallas running game a huge boost.

Hernandez is also another guard who doesn’t seem to have issues with offensive holding penalties, though he did seem to have an issue with false starts (4). That is something that should be easily fixable for the Cowboys. Over The Cap predicts that Hernandez will sign a contract that gets him around $3 million a year.

helandryhat.com/2022/02/08/cowboys-4-free-agent-offensive-linemen/2/

Even if he cost in the neighborhood of $5-6 Million, with he and Martin at guards and Smith and Collins at tackles...all Dallas would have to do is invest a couple of draftt picks in the 2022 1st round to come out with C Tyler Linderbaum, Iowa. That would leave depth and enough talent already on contracts.

A second or third round pick could go to running back, and all the rest for defensive selections...

The Cowboys’ best bet to go get Linderbaum is to flip with the Browns for the 13th pick. Based on the draft pick valuation, I would switch first-round picks then give the Browns our second and fourth-round picks. The Browns need a wide receiver and could slide back to get that need at 24th overall or snag one later in the draft with an extra pick. I’m not crazy about trading up but this is a situation that leaves the Cowboys set at center for the foreseeable future.

https://thelandryhat.com/2022/02/07/cowboys-2-iowa-hawkeyes-draft-needs/

Last edited:

quickccc

Reaction score
I agree, I having nothing against toss sweeps but NFL defense are quick and can get to the edges and stop it if your TE is not able to seal the edge. If Schultz is somehow back with us next year this is something he must improve on, I know he is better than he showed this season, after all at Stanford he was mainly used as a blocking TE

You'd really like what you were successful at at the college level to translate over at the NFL level.
But apparently that hasn't happen with Schultz. And to make matters worse, he's proven subpar at blocking in-line and in space.
Frankly that suggests to me that the more snaps and plays and games Dalton is in., the more his flaws have become more that much more exposed.

Agree with the edge runs - Against the better defenses, it's hard to just make often play by play. Most run plays seem to work inside to out.
That's why it has to be an occasional design, a toss sweep,.. jet-sweep, ..wild cat, ..RPO pitchout and " misdirection " can definitely help make it happen- on few occasions.

quickccc

Reaction score
Rb's drop off do fast. That Philip Lyndsey kid was signed the same year the broncos drafted 2 other guys yet Lindsey beat them out. The next year he was nowhere near as good. They can drop off fast. You have to have a plan for when Zeke struggles and if the backup is running better that day, keep it going. They too worried about perception and feelings.

Philip Lindsey seemed more a change of pace, situational type,
More he was force to play, the more he became exposed, he had the speed for the edge, but was he any good between the tackles and how many snaps could he handle ..then came a few injuries, then from Denver to Houston..and then ....

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
OL Coach, C, LG.

That running game was atrocious the 2nd half of the year.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Get running backs to run the ball when your two best have tears in their lower body and also call running plays.
Simple.

cowboyec

Reaction score
kenyon green,og-texas a&m.
zion johnson,og-boston college.
marquis hayes,og-oklahoma.

just gimmie 1-of'm.
run game fixed.
:thumbup:

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rb's drop off do fast. That Philip Lyndsey kid was signed the same year the broncos drafted 2 other guys yet Lindsey beat them out. The next year he was nowhere near as good. They can drop off fast. You have to have a plan for when Zeke struggles and if the backup is running better that day, keep it going. They too worried about perception and feelings.

If you look at zeke's history..and say even Emmitt Smith.....they might get 40-50 yards in the first half. In the second half they get 100+.

You can't just leave the game plan...you HAVE to commit to the run. I watched Brady in tampa run a 1;30 offense (not a 2 minute)....he handed off a couple times. The announcers said he did that because you STILL have to run the ball even in this situation. Even the likes of TOm Brady knows that.

That is "commitment to the run"

WE...on the other hand, run 3 straight delay handoffs up the clogged middle, when Dak is literally tripping over center's foot BEFORE handing off.... for 6 net yards...and claim our running game doesn't work let's pass the rest of the game Zeke sucks.

If that is our run "scheme" than yes...Zeke does suck and is a waste. Might as well pay a rookie to suck.

Tony" He's proof if we get RB in space AWAY from the clogged middle and get a couple O-linemen out there blasting people....success! TD's even. And yet still....our BRILLIANT OC puts Tony on the bench to keep on passing.

MAddening.

Last edited:

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I get your thing for Zeke, yes great RB but.......he has lost a step and we can all see it. Pollard doesn't help with his quicks next to Zeke's lack of it.

Remember Marion Barber, we need somebody like him, a guy who can bang and likes it. That's not Zeke.

Offensive line got Zeke a 4.2 average, that is all ya need, 4 and 4 is 8., third and 2....bingo!

We need this,...

OH GREAT Marion Barber clone? SUPER BOWL BABY!!!!!!!!

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Get running backs to run the ball when your two best have tears in their lower body and also call running plays.
Simple.

Calll three straight delay handoffs up the clogged middle with Dak tripping over people's feet but ZEKES SUCKS!